Mission Slimpossible Team Chat - MAY 2024

Options

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,711 Member
    edited May 12
    Options

SPOTLIGHT ON MEGNOLIA82

Hi! I'm happy to have been asked to tell you a little about myself for this member spotlight. My name is Meg. I've just turned 42 years old, and I've been a member here for 9 years! I'm so grateful to have this community of support, whether it's my Fat 2 Fit Team, or just the thousands of helpful posts from users new and veteran :) Here goes:

What made you decide to improve your health and join mfp?
    I was tired of struggling on my own with my weight. I liked the idea of a community of people all working towards similar goals. The online format works great for me - no excuses since I'm always a click away - and you can't beat the cost at $0! There was nothing to lose, so I checked it out, and found so much inspiration, and tools to help me learn more about my eating habits and how they impact my weight and well-being.

What makes improving your health worth doing?
    Initially, I wasn't concerned about my health. It wasn't until I hit my 40s that my weight started creeping higher than ever, and I was hit in the face with how much my body was struggling. I was winded from simple activity, I could hardly tie my shoes, I had plantar fasciitis that caused constant burning pain. My joints screamed at me in activity and at rest. I realized that I desperately needed a change. I am way too young to feel so terrible all the time. I also have kids - I want to model for them a healthy, active mom. I want to enjoy spending time with them hiking, playing, swimming. All things we love to do! Bottom line is that I AM worth doing this right. I deserve to feel comfortable in my own skin and to wake up in the morning free of pain. Honestly, I hit he point I just couldn't put it off any longer.

What have you tried in the past that hasn't worked or that has worked?
    Counting calories works! It really does. I trust the math. I lost around 40 pounds in 2018 through strict calorie counting. I like to say that it's not easy, but it's incredibly simple. What hasn't worked is deluding myself into thinking the choices I make aren't big enough to make a difference. EVERY choice makes a difference.

What form of exercise do you enjoy?
    I LOVE walking. My preference is hiking in the forest. Trees and water have a huge effect on my mental wellbeing. I love everything about the water - I have a kayak that I don't get out nearly enough, and I love to swim. I also have a stationary bike that I really enjoy - the key is getting into a regular habit and making it something I anticipate each day.

What goals did you achieve this past year?
    I have recently got myself into a daily tracking habit. I fell off the wagon for a few years - you know the story: covid, isolation, depression, injury, illness.... but recently I have truly got myself back on track and I've managed a current 21 day logging streak. I also hit a 20 pound loss milestone this morning (from my highest which was a couple months ago). Also this week I knocked my socks off by adding a short jog to my walk. I walked 7km in 90 minutes which I was already feeling pretty good about, but I decided to pick up the pace for a short burst. I couldn't believe that I actually managed to run for a short distance without becoming winded and without any knee pain. It's the first time I thought I may actually be able to run one day. That would have been unfathomable 2 months ago.

How did you manage to alter your eating plan?
    I had to do this out of necessity. Back in September I dealt with my second c. difficile infection. It's a gastrointestinal bacterial infection and it's nasty. I developed some severe intolerances, and I required an extremely restricted diet to heal. I discovered some well-tolerated meals that I really enjoyed. These days I skip breakfast in favour of tea (no milk or sugar). I make the same lunch every day - a soup of tomato, mushroom and tofu with a teaspoon of broth mix. It's delicious and filling, and quite low cal. For dinner I have an enormous salad of spring mix, more tomatoes and more mushrooms and a non-creamy dressing. With that big filling salad I then have a reasonable amount of room for whatever supper we're having - nothing is off limits, I eat whatever I make for my family, but I'm not having seconds and I'm not having a huge helping. I'm lucky that I thrive off routine and really enjoy my same lunch every day.

What is your favourite healthy food?
    I love all food. So it's not hard to love healthy foods. I eat tomatoes, tofu and mushrooms every day. I could eat tomatoes for every meal! I also love fish, spinach and shrimp. I discovered that shrimp is a super low cal protein source, and it's quick and easy to cook. I also love quinoa, chickpeas, beans and most kinds of fruit.

What is your goal for this next year:
    I have a handful of goals I hope to achieve this year. Of course I have a weight goal, and I'd like to reach my healthy bodyweight. I don't mind using BMI as a measure because at least it gives me a ballpark. At the moment I fall in the obese category and I have about 45 pounds to healthy weight so that's one goal. Another goal is to track my calories every day, good or bad. And I want to incorporate at least 30 minutes of physical activity at least 4 days a week. I'm happy but also humbled to have been asked to share with you. I'm nowhere near what you might call a success story in terms of actual numbers. I don't have amazing before and after photos. But hopefully I can offer some encouragement to those of you in my boat. Look at this - 9 years ago I joined mfp to lose weight. Over that time I gained 50 pounds. Life gets messy and throws us curveballs. I actually did really amazing until some road blocks threw me off my game. Illness happens to all of us. Stress happens to all of us. Pain and loss and self-doubt and self-sabotage. It happens. But my biggest advice to myself and to you as well is to never give up. Yes, I've gained. Then I've lost, then I've gained. But I know if I wasn't always coming back I would have just gained, and gained, and gained. And the unconditional support I have found here is incredible. I've been a pretty poor group member for months at a time. I drift, I've barely pulled together the time to weigh in. But I kept doing it, even when I was reporting gains week after week. And these folks never gave up on me. No matter how distant I was, my mfp family was always ready to support me through thick and thin (haha). So if you're feeling like you're letting your group down - stop that thinking! If you've started more times than you can count and you don't know if it's worth it to try yet again - DO. It is. Our priorities and our goals might change over time, but we are all worthy of our own best efforts to feel better. I'm happy to say that over the last 3 weeks I've lost 8 pounds. My mindset is right, my habits are good. I'm confident that I can keep the momentum going. And when I struggle, which I will , I'll be right back here to remind myself that it's possible, and that I have more support than I know.

Much happiness to you, Meg

* Thank you for doing the spotlight Meg, this was a wonderful chance to get to be inspired by and learn more about you! Loved you pointing out that success isn't always a number on a scale but getting through the hard times as best as you can. You've been incredible at bouncing back after some real tough issues. I'm happy you're part of our Mission Slimpossbles family.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,711 Member
    Options
    @tammymccrady6278 Thank you I added the weigh-in! Of course you can weigh a day early. So glad you're having a great week, that's a nice loss!

@TeresaW2024 Interesting response with the feet issues for @trooworld, I was told by a Bowen therapist bouncing would be great for me and your feet don't have to come off the trampoline but even to slightly bounce you're using a lot of muscles in your feet. Flip side maybe the vibration plate would be a good place to start but of course you or your gym needs one. I had a hard time getting used to it as it feels like how I felt with internal tremors prior to my last surgery so I have to mentally calm myself to not go into fight or flight. What sugar free BBQ sauce do you like? Love hearing no pain in your wrist, yay! Sounds like you're doing great at self-care and exercise!

@865jessica Enjoy the day today and I'll be with you cracking down tomorrow! I missed the Northern Lights but saw some beautiful photos.

@trooworld Enjoy your time with your MIL! I didn't know that about Mexican Mother's Day. I love tuxedo cakes those are the best! Enjoy the zoo. Great tracking!

@19shmoo69 Great advice, hope the food came out awesome!

@Cornanda Happy Mother's Day and definite shout-out to those who have a hard time today, you're always awesome at thinking of everyone.

@Veta2018 Happy Mother's Day!

@gemwolf110 I absolutely LOVE that meme!

@txcritter69 Happy Mother's Day! What a beautiful park, you look so pretty and relaxed! Did Diesel mellow out after a couple days? I hope so.

Hi everyone! I'm going to my brother's in a little bit for my SIL's birthday and Mother's Day, some of my SIL's friends and family will be there and my parents and brother's family. I'm making a baked feta and olive dip I bought garlic sourdough bread for so that's going to be crazy high-calorie, otherwise the rest shouldn't be bad. One of my neighbor's and I like going to a neighborhood breakfast the elementary FFA kids serve at to support them which is once I month, we're waiting for her boyfriend to wake up so we can go. I harvested a bunch of chamomile to dehydrate then Swiss chard and kale plus basil and thyme this morning, waiting for roommate to get up to make noise in the kitchen since that bedroom shares a wall with it. Have an awesome day everyone and extra love to those who are hurting today.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    n1bx52w74edw.png
    zck9ltk5mh36.png
    8ov4m8hs3m8a.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    ri07cnwf20nx.png

By Pounds
    97h34jmvetul.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    egqphprc4v9b.png

By Pounds
    vud8fjxf3z7q.png
    3f7g85p25wia.png

Team Winners
    qnggtp48h7y5.png

Percentage of Members in the Green!
    uqwhri4m5j8r.png
  • sleepygirl79
    sleepygirl79 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Happy Mother’s Day to all the mama’s with fur babies, human babies, adoptive babies, or anything else you consider your baby!

Sleepygirl79
    Sunday
    SW 232.2
    PW:228.4
    CW: 223.7

Started tracking again!
  • AyaTheTyga
    AyaTheTyga Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sunday May 12th:
    PW: 171
    CW: 166.8

Basically I lost the 4 lbs I gained the last week while on my period. Ive been having binge cravings every single day. Its so frustrating and Im tired of it. Im fighting this urge so often and depression has been so prevalent. Im so tired of the mental battle. Im pushing through because I want to prove myself wrong. I can be what I want to be and I won't break. I dont expect to lose weight, the battle is making good choices despite wanting to crumble under pressure. It is what it is.
  • micaroo4
    micaroo4 Posts: 3,236 Member
    Options
    Happy Mother’s Day to all the mom's out there. A mom can be a great friend, a guiding light, a teacher. One thing’s for sure: no one can take her place. Our mothers make us who we are.

If you’re a mom, I salute you! Thank you for everything you’ve done and continue doing to make this world a better place, both now and for future generations.

Wishing you and your family a very special Mother’s Day.

-Mica
  • micaroo4
    micaroo4 Posts: 3,236 Member
    Options
    @txcritter69 - great pictures!
  • 19shmoo69
    19shmoo69 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    19shmoo69
    Sunday
    P. W. 256
    C. W. 256
  • 19shmoo69
    Options
    What a wonderful spotlight on Magnolia.

I have to admit it reminded me of the positivity we need too keep.

It also reminded me that I didn't do the Thursday Ice Breaker Question. So if you not read the Megnolia Spotlight then go back and read it then come back for the Ice Breaker Question.

Have you ever met a celebrity?

In the late 90's I went to several small venue concerts. Since they were small I got to meet several bands. Back then a new band named Seven dust came through and got to chat with the lead singer for quite a while. During that time a lady came up with a photographer and said "photo time". I said hey bro it's nice meeting you and started walking off. He grabbed me and said "Bro I'm not going through this alone". If I can find the picture I'll scan and post it.
    My #1 son played bass in a Christian rock band. They're called Kutting Ties. I'll just through this out there, you can listen to them on Spotify or Amazon Music.
    The latest is meeting the lead singer of Spoken. We even swapped numbers. My daughter brags about that to her friends. Lol
  • 19shmoo69
    Options
    @laurelfit57 if by random meat you mean smoking beef heart and cow tongue, then yes I smoked random meat.
  • reshii_devi
    reshii_devi Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Been a really good week friends. Finally lost all the weight regained the last week of April and even earned a NSV: Today was my fourth 1K🔥Day this week, and a personal record ~ so proud of myself.
  • Artemis_2024
    Artemis_2024 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Argh, so blue:

SW: 156
    PW: 155.6
    CW: 157.6

Have a great week, everyone!
  • bark2j5
    bark2j5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Check in: Monday
    PW: 143.5
    CW: 143.5
  • TeresaW2024
    TeresaW2024 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's been a very unproductive weekend around here. On Saturday morning, I had to take Joe to Urgent Care for another UTI. Thankfully, I caught it early enough, so no trip to the ER was needed. My sister, who had a very stressful week, forgot that we weren't drinking and brought home beer, which we drank on Saturday night. Then she went to the store yesterday and returned with a chocolate cake and ice cream for Mother's Day. Ugh! It will be a miracle if I don't gain tomorrow. We talked last night and agreed that we must stop our unproductive behavior, so no more drinking or overindulging in foods we shouldn't eat right now. Plus, if I am hungover like I was yesterday, my entire day is crap. This morning, I feel much better and completely motivated to work out and not eat anything that is NOT on my plan. Let's have a great week! :)
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 6,076 Member
    Options
    @Digger61 @Veta2018 @Divya365 congrats on making it onto the leaderboard!

@megnolia82 Congrats on the loss! I loved your interview, it was full of really good take-aways. This sentence really hit home for me: "EVERY choice makes a difference."

@txcritter69 Those are great pictures, it's beautiful there!

@Katmary71 I did thanks! I had fun at the zoo yesterday. Baked feta and olive dip sounds yummy. I love Swiss chard, it's my favorite green vegetable.

@Sleepygirl79 Congrats on that loss!

@AyaTheTyga Congrats on your loss! I'm sorry about the binging and the depression. Hugs.

@laurelfit57 Yes, interesting, huh? My Mexican Spanish tutor didn't realize we celebrated on a different day either! It was quite the feast lol. I'm glad you are still sleeping better. I've wanted to get our pups a kiddie pool but my husband says no lol. We don't have room for it. Oh gosh, a dead mouse! Ty! lol She must have been really excited. That's so cute, what Ty and Vannie do.

@reshii_devi Congrats on losing that weight and what a great NSV!

@TeresaW2024 Poor Joe! I'm so sorry. I'm glad you caught it early enough to not have to go to the ER. I hope this week is better for you. Hugs.

ICEBREAKER QUESTION: Have you ever met a celebrity? I have. I've met many, actually. Most of them, not here in CA. My art was featured in the first Lolapolooza festival and I met several celebrities there. Also, just at concerts. I've met: Ice T, Lenny Kravitz, Trent Reznor from NIN, and more bands, Henry Rollins, a few authors...I've met actors at Comic-Con.

Hi all. I hope you had a great Mother's Day. The zoo was fun, I was able to stay for 2 hours before my knee started bothering me enough to leave. That's longer than most times lately. My favorite part of the zoo yesterday was seeing the keepers weigh the meerkats, they tricked them into getting on the scale by putting a treat on the scale and feeding the others treats at the same time so that they wouldn't get on the scale, too. My other favorite part was seeing a couple of keepers walking a porcupine. We went to breakfast after that and I did not make a healthy decision. I had a Spanish lesson after that and then we took the dogs to a dog park where they enjoyed running around with a few other pups their size (it was a park only for small dogs). We came home and sat on the porch for a while before I made dinner. By the end of the day, I had walked 9,846 steps and my foot did NOT hurt so yay! I had a migraine on Saturday and again last night...it's from the electromagnetic fields/Aurora Borealis. I know that sounds weird and "woo woo" but it's true. I looked up if that could happen and found it could.

No Zero Days: Tracked everything, walked over 9,000 steps with no pain in the foot.

Want to keep track of your steps with the team? Add a tab to the Google Sheet! https://tinyurl.com/Slimpossibles

Get the Kik app and chat with us in real-time! Just download the app, create a profile, and message me (username: trooworld) and I'll add you to the private group chat! https://kik.com/

My phrase for the year: "New year, new me!"

127p8dr3ou4k.jpg
    r4zk4jgb73h7.jpg
    qak54j1yi5hf.jpg
    fv9xbddz33d4.jpg
    ju24z1wrs9sj.jpg
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    vegan4lyfe2012
    Sunday
    SW: 215.0
    PW: 195.2
    CW: 194.4
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    @Katmary71 – I could try the Epsom salt thing, but all I can find at the store is lavender scented. Do you think that would work?
    @TeresaW2024 – I had never heard of Wow Drops. Had to google it and it took me to the Amazon store. I read the reviews. Hilarious! Reminds me of Binaca Spray. What a blast from the past! I ordered it and it should arrive tomorrow :) Nice job with all the exercising!
    @865jessica – Hang in there! You know what happened and now it’s time to get back in the saddle. I was able to see the Northern Lights here in Southwest Michigan. They were gorgeous! (Pics below)
    @digger61 & @sleepygirl79 & @reshii_devi – Awesome job on the losses! (sorry if I missed anyone)
    @trooworld – The weekend went by way too fast. Gonna have to try the pasta and bean recipes sometime this week. Fingers crossed I can make the pasta for dinner tonight before my fresh asparagus goes bad. Selling roses from a house…sounds sketchy LOL (I watch too many horror movies). I am in awe of everything you do. Always out and about, going to the zoo, hamming it up with family/friends, so much socializing. This homebody is always impressed! Sucks about the migraine. It’s absolutely true that atmospheric phenomenon messes with people. Like how Hunter’s bipolar intensifies during certain lunar occurrences. Her psychiatrist is the one that actually pointed that out to us several years ago.
    @19shmoo69 – Thanks for the pep talk, buddy! How fun you’ve been able to meet so many band members! P.S. Ew on the random meat choices!
    @txcritter69 – Love the camping photos – especially that adorable turtle and silly squirrel!
    @Megnolia82 – Thank you for the insight…what really hit me was you saying you had been deluding yourself and that every choice makes a difference. That is so true. P.S. I’d love your lunch soup recipe!
    @AyaTheTyga – Hugs Hugs and more Hugs. Those period cravings and depression are awful and I 100% understand. It sucks butt for sure. Hang in there.
    @laurelfit57 – Your pups are too funny!!!

My weekend went by too fast. But it was nice having my girls and their babies with me for Mother’s Day. We did our usual morning church service, then to my mom’s for lunch and a movie. We usually struggle to figure out what to eat every Sunday after church and end up at a drive thru. The past 2 Sundays, tho, we’ve had pasta/sauce, salad and Hunter’s home made garlic bread. I asked everyone if we wanted to just make every Sunday be Spaghetti Sunday and, believe it or not, everyone got excited for that. So there it is. I made sure to have twice as much salad as I did pasta and, tee hee hee, they didn’t know they ate chickpea pasta for added protein. I’m such a stinker! Anyway, super surprised with my weigh in. I thought for sure I’d be up a few pounds. Guess I need to stop thinking!

Have you ever met a celebrity?
    I worked 1993-1997 and 2000-2004 at a hotel that was close to a large venue. We had several performers stay with us and I’d get to chat with them. Carrot Top, Steve Harvey, Sinbad (he’s actually a local), Stevie Wonder, Gallagher…lots of comedians, as you can see. Also, since we are right around the lake from Chicago, we’d get celebrities having a weekend getaway in our Presidential Suite. Oprah stayed a couple times. There are a lot of others I just can’t remember. Cataracts, ya know… LOLs

Here are a few snapshots Syd’s boyfriend captured of the Aurora Borealis in our area. It was beautiful and I’m so glad I stepped outside to see them. I hadn’t seen them in about 28 years when I was on vacation in the Upper Peninsula.
    oyk5hy3vb90n.jpg
    r65csfnnlfr7.jpg
    q3cki9yvh1o2.jpg

• Cornanda
    Cornanda Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    @megnolia82 - thank you for sharing your story. I love your positivity- it's inspirational.

@laurelfit57 - Ty's new game is hilarious!

Lisa
  • reshii_devi
    reshii_devi Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Weigh In Day: Monday
    SW (Starting Weight): 198.2
    PW (Previous Weight): 197.3
    CW (Current Weight): 195.1
This discussion has been closed.