Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    My weekly update: did 3 runs following B210K Wk9 schedule of 10 mins run/1 min walk. Struggled the first day with the 4th run, but since then, have found my rhythm and completed the runs at 15 min/ mile. With the warmup and cool down, am covering around 3.5 miles.
    Plan for next week is to repeat this at least one more time and move onto Wk10.
    Is it too early to start hill training? There's a steep road nearby with 20% incline. I have seen people running on it. Wondering if I can use the C25K week 1 program of 60 secs run/ 90 mins walk on it and incorporate it into my weekly runs? Any suggestions, please?
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    hello running, my old friend! it's been 12 days since i've run and let me tell you, i was scared to go out this morning. i was really worried i would compare to where i was an feel lousy with what i was able to accomplish. but i sucked it up and went for a run with the goal of completing w1d1 of the b25k program (20 minute steady run).

i killed my run today! 3k felt EASY, so i kept going because i was loving it. LOVING running and being outside and smiling at other people running (thinking, hey i know how you feel. isn't this GREAT?!) . . . reaching 4k and then 5k. I stopped at 5k, because i'd run almost all the way back home. and hey, my endurance isn't so great that that last 1k isn't a bit challenging. ;)

5k in 32m:24s with an average pace of 6:26 min/km. New personal best for 3 km - 18m:41s!

i can't tell you how good it feels to be posting this update today.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    @ftrobbie - thanks for the reading rec, I will definitely add it to my list!

@samra338 - I also found W9/D1 challenging, but found my feet (and took it easy on the pace) for the repeat sessions. I'm a newbie so no advice on hills, but I am certainly interested in what the more seasoned runners have to say.

@maggiekat7 - I'm glad you got back out there and had such a great run! Which training program are you using?
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    @maggiekat7 - I'm glad you got back out there and had such a great run! Which training program are you using?

I started with the active app c25k and am using the 5k to 10k app now. I am also considering one of the 10k programs with endomondo premium. :)
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm alternating the active 5K to 10K app (I'm using the drill sergeant trainer...LOL) with the Zen Labs 10K trainer (I used their C25K program, so it's just a continuation). I've noticed with my active 5K to 10K trainer that I don't always get the audio cues (such as when the warm up is done and I need to switch to running). Have you experienced that? I went through the settings and it's set at max volume....not sure what else to do :(
  • samra338
    Options
    I'm alternating the active 5K to 10K app (I'm using the drill sergeant trainer...LOL) with the Zen Labs 10K trainer (I used their C25K program, so it's just a continuation). I've noticed with my active 5K to 10K trainer that I don't always get the audio cues (such as when the warm up is done and I need to switch to running). Have you experienced that? I went through the settings and it's set at max volume....not sure what else to do :(

I have missed the audio cues in the Zen labs app a couple of times, but found that updating the app restored the audio cues. Check if your app has any updates. Hope it's fixed soon :)
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    samra338 wrote: »
    Is it too early to start hill training? There's a steep road nearby with 20% incline. I have seen people running on it. Wondering if I can use the C25K week 1 program of 60 secs run/ 90 mins walk on it and incorporate it into my weekly runs? Any suggestions, please?

I wouldn't say it's too early, but I would say it's the wrong time. Get through your B210K program, and then yes using something like C25K on the hill for one of your weekly runs would be a great idea. Although I would look for a hill that isn't quite so steep to begin with, otherwise you might learn to hate hills.
  • samra338
    Options

taeliesyn wrote: »

I wouldn't say it's too early, but I would say it's the wrong time. Get through your B210K program, and then yes using something like C25K on the hill for one of your weekly runs would be a great idea. Although I would look for a hill that isn't quite so steep to begin with, otherwise you might learn to hate hills.

Thank you @taeliesyn. I live in a hilly area, most roads are steep! I am sure I will be able to find one to suit me :)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Nice to see the updates from you guys who have recently finished C25k.

@samra338 I am with Taeliesyn, I would finish b210k and then pick up a training plan for whatever you want to train for. Then if that calls up a hill session then do it. Hill sessions are brutal and if you do them and other hard sessions without adequate rest then you will risk overtraining which will lead to fatigue if you are lucky or injury if you are not. I would still focus on building your running base at the moment. When that starts to taper off, then look at ways to supercharge your training. Enthusiasm is great, treating your body well will serve you better. Well done on your journey so far and look forward to reading about your future successes
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Friday was a stinker of a hill session, the first 2 intervals were terrible, of the last 6, 4 were on target pace the other 2 just missed. The downside of the sprint sessions were the recoveries were done at walking pace rather than at a jog pace. It was hard, as this was the first sprint session for a while I am hoping that the repeat next week will be better. Yesterday had a parkrun but in reality I had not truly recovered from the sprint session on Friday. It was hot so I plodded around at tempo heart rate and guess what, I got a tempo paced 5k, it came in at 26 mins, 1min45sec outside a pb. May skip next weeks parkrun and just do the schedule easy run especially with a 16 mile long run scheduled for Sunday. Today I did the 14 mile long run, although I mismeasured with Strava somewhere and it turned into a 15 miler. As a result I finished that and went straight out with the boys to run the local junior parkrun, my youngest will not do it on his own. So a 15 miler and a 2k in quick succession. I am now bushed and looking forward to a bit of R&R.

Have fun with your running.
  • eyethree
    eyethree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I finished Week 2 of B210K today. I had a great week running. Best week yet since I started C25K even. I think it's helped going out early before the sun starts burning down when it's about 65° out. Any warmer and it's no fun for me.
  • maggiekat7
    Options

I haven't had any issues with the prompts. I impressed you're with the sergeant, I had to keep the Constance through all of C25K because I needed someone "nice". I have switched to Billie for the 10K app, but think I'll leave Sergeant Block filed away for backup. ;)
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    @maggiekat7- its nice to see that you continued on to the 10k trainer too! I just read your posts from last week, and had a similar experience to yours. I moved right on after finishing c25k to the Zen Labs 10k trainer, but had heel pain after the second run. I took the last two weeks off because of that and then just plain being lazy- we had a wedding and some travel in there too, but I definitely should have gotten back to it sooner. This morning was my first run in two weeks, and I jumped back in to Week9 Day 3 where I left off. It was definitely not easy, so I know I lost some fitness on the break, but I feel good that I got back to it this morning. Great job on your runs everyone! I'm glad to be back and plan to start Week 10 on Wednesday and keep going!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I registered for a 5k early next month, maybe that will motivate me to run more often. I've been biking a lot! (The heat isn't quite as bad on a bike as it is running!)
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    tried w1d2 b210k on the treadmill this morning so i could get an idea of what a "tempo" run is. i definitely don't like the treadmill as much as i like running outdoors. it was great being able to keep a steady pace (usually i'm all over the place because i listen to music while i run) and to know i was consistently running faster during the 3-minute interval, but yikes, that was b-o-r-i-n-g.

i am also trying to sort out how to record the run. the treadmill display is broken so i only get distance. i tried using my fitbit, but didn't note the start and end times so i'm not sure i have the correct info stored. and my heartrate monitor and its app unlinked halfway through so i don't have that info either. i usually use endomondo, but wasn't sure if i could use it for treadmill runs given that i'm not moving around as i would normally be for gps tracking, and therefore didn't use it to record the run.

i'm also feeling bummed because my knee is acting up, in a new area. i'm hyper-vigilant about injuries due to the numerous roadblocks i've had to overcome to get here. hopefully taking the day off tomorrow will be enough and it's just a complaint from running on a new surface.

:: sigh ::

@KRPolo - it's great to see you here too! Have a good run Wednesday!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Got up early this morning and ran 3 miles in the sauna that is NW Arkansas, 30:25. It still surprises me when I can get out and run 3 miles having not run in almost a week. (I really AM a runner!)

I have rides planned almost daily after work this week, so any running will have to be early morning.
  • JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Recent C25k grad here. I see lots of familiar friendly faces!

So, I did something crazy yesterday. A bunch of people at work were talking about signing up for a half marathon in November and in my joy of completing c25k, I signed up. Ack!

It is 16 weeks away and I found a 16 week training program. It has me running 7 miles for the weekly long run by the end of 6 weeks which is how long the b210k program is on my RunDouble app.

We'll see if I have bitten off more than I can chew... But the goal is to finish, even if I end up walking half of it.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Ceci, congrats on the time in the "sauna"

JSC145, only half mad, it's a half after all. You should be fine, just remember that you should enjoy your first half marathon, so do not pressure yourself. If you think you will need a run/ walk strategy, then I would advise practising it from the start rather than changing strategy towards the end of training. That said I went from c25k to HM in 6 months and had a pretty good experience.

Easy run yesterday which was fun in the rain and with the respibelt on, hard work for an easy run! This morning had a 1 hour run with the last 15 mins at tempo pace. It ended up a mind game as it started slow and difficult but I forced myself to take the tempo session seriously and it ended up in a hard worthwhile session.End result, the average for the hour came in at 9:13 pace.

• samra338
    Options
    Thanks @ftrobbie for your suggestions regarding hill training.
    Welcome @JSC145 and good luck.
    Did day 1 of week 10 B210k today in the rain....I had to give a stern talk to my inner self that wanted to repeat week 9..lol...took it slowly and completed the 3 15 minute intervals quite comfortably. I'm beginning to see that it's the mind that needs conquering. Kept to the same 15 min miles and covered 3.65 miles totally.
    Happy running, everyone!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Thanks @ftrobbie for your suggestions regarding hill training.
    Welcome @JSC145 and good luck.
    Did day 1 of week 10 B210k today in the rain....I had to give a stern talk to my inner self that wanted to repeat week 9..lol...took it slowly and completed the 3 15 minute intervals quite comfortably. I'm beginning to see that it's the mind that needs conquering. Kept to the same 15 min miles and covered 3.65 miles totally.
    Happy running, everyone!

Unless you are doing something extreme, it is normally the mind that needs conquering. A year in, I still have to beat my inner demons on runs I should beast without batting an eyelid.Have fun