Squat-tober: October check in and chat

Options
lwoodroff
lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
Getting in early for the Aussie contingent!

Replies

• zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You're on the ball! I have finally finished my assignments for this term. Ugh. Thank god that's done. In the morning, I get my *kitten* in my car and drive drive drive to see my sis and nephews AND buy my weight plates. Yay! I hope my barbel fish (haha, that was for you, Lydia) arrives tomorrow or I have to abuse eBay and use my Paypal powers to get action.... Anyways, no lifting for me at the moment, so I'll just shut up and let the tuff chicks do their talking :)
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    *grin* exciting though!

now I have the Babel fish from Hitchhiker's in my head :)
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    A little OT, but cool! So my family and I spent the weekend in Lake Placid, which we do a few times a year. We were out walking along the lake, and I saw the fittest woman I have ever seen in real life. She was wearing a white bikini, to boot. There are Olympic athletes training here year round, so you definitely see a lot of fit people. She was something else, though. I browsed thru some profiles on the Olympic site, and I'm pretty sure it was this woman: http://www.teamusa.org/Athletes/GR/Jamie-Greubel. Qualifying for the Olympic team is coming up in a couple weeks, so it figures she would be in absolute kick-*kitten* shape now. She was also a gorgeous blond. I almost went up and complimented her, but it would have been weird. She was hanging out on the beach with her friends and I was walking with my husband and kids.

She was spectacularly strong and had an enviable figure. Anyone who looked at this woman and thinks there was anything unfeminine about her needs their eyesight checked.
  • debress
    debress Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I started the 5x5 today! Was afraid I couldn't even do Workout A with just the bar, but was able to put 10 pounds on the bar for each, and did complete the 5 sets of 5. Am so excited to start something new! Have been stagnant in my lifting to the point of not wanting to even do it lately.

In the past, I got stalled at about 80-85 pounds with my squats, and never even tried a real bench press (used the machine only). I was amazed that I could bench the bar, and then added 5 and then 10 pounds and did ok. Would feel more comfortable with a spotter, as I am wobbly, but that stability will come with experience. Am excited to try and progress past my previous personal best on the squat.

Am heading out at lunch time to find some 2 inch washers to be able to put little increments on, as the smallest plate at my gym is 2.5 pounds.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Debress, that is awesome! it becomes a little addictive :)

learn to do the 'roll of shame' so you are confident that even if you do get into trouble you can get out again. Don't collar the weights, too so you can tip them off if need be.. and you will learn what the 'oh my goodness I won't get the next rep up' rep feels like (although http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9f2oFLMPcM I really shouldn't have done the 5th rep, but didn't want to roll of shame 40kg down my stomach! - mind over matter!). :)
  • debress
    debress Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I did see the roll of shame video, and it gave me the confidence to do the 55 pound bench!

Also awesome: I was doing the proper form with touching my chest, and noticed that the dudebro next to me started doing the same after he saw what I was doing. Before that, he wasn't going down all the way, the slacker!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    A little OT, but cool! So my family and I spent the weekend in Lake Placid, which we do a few times a year. We were out walking along the lake, and I saw the fittest woman I have ever seen in real life. She was wearing a white bikini, to boot. There are Olympic athletes training here year round, so you definitely see a lot of fit people. She was something else, though. I browsed thru some profiles on the Olympic site, and I'm pretty sure it was this woman: http://www.teamusa.org/Athletes/GR/Jamie-Greubel. Qualifying for the Olympic team is coming up in a couple weeks, so it figures she would be in absolute kick-*kitten* shape now. She was also a gorgeous blond. I almost went up and complimented her, but it would have been weird. She was hanging out on the beach with her friends and I was walking with my husband and kids.

She was spectacularly strong and had an enviable figure. Anyone who looked at this woman and thinks there was anything unfeminine about her needs their eyesight checked.

Looked her up on the internet and she is on the Bobsled team. Says she is 5' 9" and weighs 170 pounds. Obviously all muscle.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Stef, bringing this here so everyone sees the awesome!

Funny thing happened this weekend tho...there was me and another girl and about 4 guys chatting talking about what was for supper and I said protien of course...(I was having chicken wings) and one of the guys looks at me with this smirk on his face and says "do you even lift?" and sort of laughs with the other guys...I looked at the girl beside me with a smile and said...

"Acutally yes I do....do you???".....total silence from the guys....stunned and sheepish then the other girl and I started talking about our love of barbell squats and what weight we were doing....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOVE it!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Did not want to start my own whole thread for this but ladies y'all have been lying to me! Can't build muscle on a deficit? Really? Really really? Tell that to the button that just popped off the cuff on my short sleeve blouse when I bent my arm :laugh:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Did not want to start my own whole thread for this but ladies y'all have been lying to me! Can't build muscle on a deficit? Really? Really really? Tell that to the button that just popped off the cuff on my short sleeve blouse when I bent my arm :laugh:

LOL!! :laugh: ... you can build muscle on a deficit to a point if you are new to lifting. That's called "noob gains".
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

It's so great when that is the button you worry about and not the one by the girls or the belly.....:drinker:
  • roxylola
    Options
    hehehe. I will be honest ladies, I am not totally new to lifting - I had a very physical job for a long time and I was a real gym rat a couple of years ago. Granted that was on machines but I challenged myself plenty so I had a reasonable base anyway (arms were still defined when flexed) and of course once formed the muscle does not go away as such so it does not take a lot to reactivate it! And yes Stef I definitely would rather have that button pop off!

However I have never before struggled to get a skirt over my bottom the way I do now. Stupid thing is like some sort of a bubble stuck on the back! Cellulite is gone though, that only happened because I was at a ridiculously low bf% back in the day and when I was anything like normal my body stored it as safely as possible :laugh: I will have to get a few pics on here as I am rather proud of my quads at the moment, nice cut on the outside and beginnings of a tear drop on the inside too!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    That's awesome Roxy!.... Nice booty is always good
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Lifted yesterday, but forgot to log it. Still doing Texas, but may switch to something else. I'm still pretty much stalled on everything (as in lifting 3x a week and topped out at the same weights I was at 2-3 months ago). I'm also at a point where I want to move more towards aesthetics than pure strength. I feel like I'm really strong right now, but I want to cut some fat and have a leaner, more cut look. Just trying to work through what my next step might be.
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Still here... This month I will keep on, keeping on...

Glad to see everyone back. Started to put the goals here but realized that is usually a different thread. So, for now, I will say that I am happy to be feeling strong, but really need to get this fat off because I don't like the way it looks or feels & it's not healthy. Also, I don't think people take me as seriously when I talk about lifting as they would if they could see the muscle instead of fluff. Shouldn't matter, but who doesn't want people to think you know what you are talking about? Perception matters in the real world, I guess.
  • grandevampire
    Options
    Hello hello,

My 16.1K race finally happened on Sunday, and I was super happy to have finished (and to be able to move on with my lifting life again)! Ran it in 1:48:55, which was faster than I was expecting considering that I had only trained at running for two months, not to mention that big *kitten* 3km/200m rise hill to climb in the middle.

Back to the rack tomorrow I think, and very chuffed about it!
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Just popping in with a funny/empowering story.

I workout at home. Was at the top of a 120-pound squat yesterday (so 2 35's plus on the ends of my bar) when my 10 year old popped his head into my workout room to ask me a question. His eyes opened WIDE and he said "Holy Cow Mom! You are SO STRONG!" I smiled, nodded, and knocked out 8 reps. When my husband got home, said child ran up to him and said "Do you even know how strong mom is?":laugh:
  • roxylola
    Options
    That is absolutely awesome! And go you with your kick *kitten* squats.

Grandevampire I cycle a bit and hills are the invention of the devil!

So gonna try for my 5*5 at 27.5kg bench again tomorrow. See if I get any of the last set done this time. I find it astonishing how a small increas in weight can be the difference between tough but achievable to nope that bar is just not going anywhere!
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Roxy - do you time your rests between sets? get at least 3 minutes, maybe 5 before your last set!
  • aliciaje
    Options
    Hello, may I join in???

Did my 4th workout A yesterday

120lb Squat
    70lb Bench

There was this muscular looking guy who is always working out with a trainer when I go to the gym, and he was squatting in the rack beside me.. He had 25 + 5 plates on each side, so he was doing 105 and was struggling with it... So can I proudly say I out-squatted a dude?!?! :)

eta: I LOVE your story chunkmunk!!!

Also, to add to the gains on deficit thing, the day after lifting I do measurements and I am up to a half inch bigger on my thighs and arms, but it goes away the next day. It this what is called "pump"?