WOLVERINE TEAM PAGE

Options

Replies

• weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    That's quite the new list of points, loving the fact there are no sit ups, as is my back!

And just to clarify, it is up to each individual member to calculate their own points, certainly log them here, but at the end of the week hopefully we will all have a running total,, again I use my exercise diary for this kind of stuff, as it's easy to carry everything forward from there..

And yes, it's definitely time to have a Wolvie in the top 10 again! And I've already got my Dolpin in sight for some good old fashioned smack talking.... :) LOL

I hope Twinmom you are feeling much better this weekend, I know you've had a rough week..

And it's Thanksgiving/Harvest Festival here this weekend, so turkey supper tomorrow, yummy... :)
  • MidwestGirlz
    MidwestGirlz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is my concern with the way the challenge is set up, as well. Right now, you have to do a minimum of 2h & 45min of workout over 5.25 days (Sunday - Friday morning) and at least another 90min for reps all week, and another 40 for stretching. This is a total of 5 hours over the span of a week. Or an hour a day. I just hope no one becomes injured. It is a tough pace w/o any real time to rest sore muscles.

Additionally, we really need to watch calorie consumption. We might not eat enough because we are not monitoring calorie expenditures.

I am using my HRM duing each workout to track calories accurately. I start with cardio - which is typically 45 - 60 min, anyway. I note the calories consumed then begin my reps. I then subtract the calories burned during reps from my total and I get the w/o calories, w/o time, and my reps. More importantly, I know exactly how much I burned in the day.
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Yes with Sheri's challenges you certainly get a challenge!!!

It's totally doable, I tag my stretching onto the end of my workout (which is good practice anyway) to avoid injury, esp me been a runner.

I know you do reps on machines but I spend nowhere near 90mins doing the reps a week, unless I do 30ds and count that as my rep work... I normally split my reps during the day...

You're right on the eating more to fuel the workouts, I mainly run for my stuff and wear my garming (with HRM) so I knwo my pace, elevation, calorie burn ect... I even took it on my walk this afternoon!

The one thing you can include as workouts is walking, so if you drive but decided to walk some where instead log it... I did today and got my 30 done, okay my burn wasn't too special but every little helps :)

On on the food note, I've made chicken & leek pie for my tea and it's about ready!!! YUM
  • lobstergirl
    lobstergirl Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree you dont have to smash it out every time - my 60 minutes last week was a rest day on the x trainer level 1 whilst watching cagney and lacey!!

(made up my cal burn elsewhere!)

x
  • MidwestGirlz
    Options
    Unfortunately, my schedule requires me to do everything in one big workout. I can't really do reps while I am teaching a class, meeting with parents, disciplining a student, or running a meeting. Though, when I consider it, it could be entertaining for the other people to watch!! To student: "Think about what you did while I. finish. these. 12. crunches"....hahahahaha

I prefer to do it all together, as well. It is the only "me" time I get during my day - so that 90 - 120 minutes is a chance to focus on me, let my mind rest, and keep my cardio burning heart rate up by doing my reps (machine, free weight, balls, and floor exercises) all together. I do not break between sets for more than 30 seconds and do roughly 400-500 a day (35 - 45 minutes). I was only recording the 200 to 250 of upper body that I was completing for the challenge.

As for a Rest Day = a rest day is a REST DAY. You let your body rest. Not do 60 minutes on a cross trainer. :-)

Additionally, if you had to make up your calorie burn someplace else, you did yet another work-out that strained your muscles...so you ended up doing 5 instead of the 4!!

I know I'm a big girl right now - but I was an athlete all through HS and college (I was a swimmer). I gained my weight while working on my PhD and then having my daughter. We always had rest days built into our weekly work-outs. No lifting, no bike, no x trainer, etc, etc, etc. It was drilled into our heads at both levels that without a chance, at least twice a week, to let muscles rebuild after you have stretched them through training, puts them at risk for injury.

As for tacking on stretching at the end - that's fine. But you are still doing 40 minutes. And you can break up 10 sets of 60 reps and spread them over a week, but there is still time attached to each and every one of them. While I might be doing more than the minimum (so it is at least 90 minutes a week for me), you are not doing 600 reps in less than 40 minutes. A well controlled rep that stabilizes the muscles both into and out of the rep takes at least .07 seconds. This timeframe, times 600 reps, is 42min.

My entire point is that while it is obviously doable - I have some concerns about how we need to remain healthy while completing these challenges. We need to make sure that we protect our muscles and our caloric intake.

And I'm obviously not trying to wiggle out of doing the work. I have put on my "Athlete" hat again..as I have vowed to get the weight off before my 41st birthday. I love weight training & getting things done. Last weeks' numbers prove it. My w/os last week surpass what is in our challenge for this week and I dropped 2.8lbs in 5 days (Sunday 7am - Friday 5am weigh-in).

Anyway - have a great workout this week, everyone!
  • MidwestGirlz
    Options
    Sunday's Workout:

WO - 60 mins Cardio (60 Cardio + 40 Reps = 100min)
    cals - 443
    Reps 250 core/legs
    flex - 10 mins

Points Tracking

Bad Habit: --/25pts
    Good Habit: --/25pts
    Water - 128oz: --/35pts
    Sodium - 1985mg: --/35pts
    60min W/Os: --/60pts
    Team Talk: --/7pts
    Smack Talk: --/5pts

Cummulative Points:

Does this format work for your recording purposes??? Let me know!
  • lobstergirl
    Options
    Today was a definite REST day Midwest girl! ;)

Sunday's Workout:

WO - 0
    cals - 0
    Reps 0
    flex - 0

Points Tracking

Water - 128oz: --/35pts
    Sodium - 1985mg: --/35pts
    60min W/Os: --/60pts
    Team Talk: --/7pts
    Smack Talk: --/5pts

Cummulative Points: 0

Time to get to work tomorrow - now to bed!!

Go wolverines!!!!!
  • usernamekelly1
    Options
    @ Midwestgirlz - Yeah, the format is great - just one thing though it's cardio and core reps this week!

@ lobstergirl - I only got a walk in today, so mines not far off yours :)

I tend to have Friday and Saturday as my rest days
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Sunday's Workout:

WO - 95 mins running
    cals - 696
    Reps 200
    flex - 10 mins

Points Tracking

Water - 128oz: 5/35pts
    Sodium - 1985mg: 5/35pts
    60min W/Os: 10/60pts
    Team Talk: 1/7pts
    Smack Talk: 5/5pts

Cummulative Points: 26
  • weefreemen
    Options
    Looks great, thanks Twinmom, but just so you are aware the points part of the challenge starts on Monday the 14th and runs Monday to Sunday, so you do not accrue points for today (Sunday) Great looking day though, off to a tremendous start...

Sunday's Workout:

WO - 95 mins running
    cals - 696
    Reps 200
    flex - 10 mins

Points Tracking

Water - 128oz: 5/35pts
    Sodium - 1985mg: 5/35pts
    60min W/Os: 10/60pts
    Team Talk: 1/7pts
    Smack Talk: 5/5pts

Cummulative Points: 26
  • weefreemen
    Options
    October 13th (Sunday)

Workout: 145 minutes (walking and skating)
    Calories Burned: 1083
    Reps: 75
    Stretching: 10 minutes

Reps: Seated jumping jacks

@ Kelly - Logged to Here! :)
  • twinmom_112002
    Options
    ahh...missed that about the points. I am so used to things running Sunday to Friday.
  • weefreemen
    Options
    No problem, I had to triple check that as well! :)

ahh...missed that about the points. I am so used to things running Sunday to Friday.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    October 13th (Sunday)

Workout: 108 minutes (nature hike)
    Calories Burned: 475
    Reps:150 (crunches)
    Stretching: 10 minutes
  • weefreemen
    Options
    Logged to Here ! :)
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    TIGERS are gonna take y'all down! Rawr!!! We are :smokin:
  • weefreemen
    Options
    Everyone seems to have the points challenge down really well, but here is the breakdown on the Wolvie's page - for easy reference as well as the requirements to achieve those points...

(1) Water: (5 points per day for 8 oz and above) (35 possible per week)
    (2) Sodium: (5 points per day for under 2500 mg) (35 possible per week)
    (3) Workouts: (5 points for every 30 min workout) (10 points max per day) (60 possible per week) (over 6 days only)
    (4) Bad Habit: (25 points IF you complete your goals for week)October 13th (Sunday)
    5) New Hobby: (25 points IF you complete all goals)
    (6) Positive Comment on Group page: (1 per day) (7 points per week)
    (7) Competitive/smack talk on other teams page (1 per week) (5 points)

Total possible points for entire week: 192

* If you do not complete the entire commitment you made for 4 and 5, you do not get the 25 points, instead you must deduct 10 points for both segments you did not complete for the week.

The points challenge starts tomorrow (October 14th and runs Monday to Sunday, unlike the main challenge which runs Sunday to Friday)........

We must report the points weekly, each Monday for the previous week, so our first reporting of our full weeks points is Monday, October 21st....

Cheers!
  • lobstergirl
    Options
    Positive comment:

We all have the power to change ourselves for the better.
    Be a better person this week.
    Take care of others AND take care of yourselves!

Xxx
  • usernamekelly1
    Options
    Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do. Have an awesome Monday x
  • twinmom_112002
    Options
    Good Morning!!

Here is to a new week with endless opportunities to make positive choices! You don't have to change you life all at once, just do it choice by choice. This morning I choose oatmeal over donuts.