Introductions

Options

Replies

• milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hai I'm new. I'm not bulking right now but just came off a 2 year-ish bulk and can't wait to get back on that game after doing a small cut to stay in my powerlifting weight class. Here are my stats from my last bulk, just by way of an intro.

1. Starting weight.
    92 lbs

2. Bulk goal weight.
    110 was the goal, kept going to 130 though bc YUM

3. Maintenance calories.
    2700ish

4. Bulk calories.
    3000 but stopped counting after a few months

5. Bulk goal duration.
    2 years in reality, had planned only 6 months

6. Lifting program.
    All sorts. Mostly my own. Powerlifting based in the past year including stuff like Smolov Jr for squats and bench, weird adaptations of 5x5 etc...

Would love some more friends who eat properly. Even on my cut I'm eating 2000-2400/day, and seeing anyone eat less than 2000 makes me sad :(
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hey Girrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrllllll

LULZ- I'm 40 lbs heavier and my bulk numbers aren't even that high.

But if you gotta cut- you gotta get it down- I much prefer shorter hard aggressive cuts to long tortuous ones with a mediocre deficit. Last summer I did 1200 for 4-5 weeks (which is under my BMR) was not pretty- but it was effective.

But I totally agree- yes- eating less than 2000 is totally sad.

how do you like smolov? have you ever done the full program? I was thinking about doing it- but I think the fixed schedule was to much for my life- I did the 20 rep breathing program instead- just to go somewhere totally different with it. I have my first lifting meet in June- so I'm going to be switching to a peaking/strength program shortly- interested to see how it goes.
  • milileitner
    Options
    Ya I have the metabolism of an 18 yr old boy, haha. And amen to the short aggressive cuts. 2k cals hurts me, but I'm already down a bunch in just 3 weeks. I'll be done with it pretty soon so I can bulk before World Champs. Yeah, for me this is aggressive. Any lower and I'd probably be screwing my health.

I haven't yet done full Smolov but I ran Smolov Jr for bench+squat simultaneously, both with an inflated 1RM. My ego learnt many lessons from that. Was eating 3500/day just to get through it, and dropped all leg/chest accessory work. Got strong bench gains but not squats. Currently running Smolov Jr for bench, plus training legs 3x/week (1 day quad volume, 1 day heavy squats + posterior chain accessory work, 1 day heavy DL + a ****load of accessory DLs), which is going very nicely. Sorely tempted to run full Smolov in the run up to Worlds but will probably go for Coan/Phillippi DL 12 week program + stick with what I'm doing for squats/bench + keep up my other crapola bc I'm a very vain powerlifter indeed.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    LOL I think it's normal. The vain thing- no one wants to not be awesome!!!

I saw your comment out Jr.. hence my question on it.

I know it's not for the feint of heart- it's a LOT of volume.

3 day a week legs is fabulous. That sounds like oodles of fun :D I much prefer splitting squats and deads apart- I was pretty happy with my own program that ran them seperately + different accessory lifts. I'm not much of a chest person- I like back and legs and that's it.

I'm sure you'll kick *kitten* though- you seem like you have it all together!!! makes me happy seeing people get it. There is just nothing like it!
  • milileitner
    Options
    Ya I would not recommend Smolov Jr for anyone who is not used to training body parts multiple days per week already and handling high volume. Otherwise you will either fail to complete it or have to drop so much other training that overall you're not getting any real benefit. It's kind of ok to drop DLs if you're running it for squats (my DL increased by 10% from running it for squats despite no DL training, LOL) but you don't wanna be skipping leg day to get more benching in if you're a powerlifter/bodybuilder.

Having done squat+bench together, I'm now finding just bench to be no trouble at all. In fact I get to the end of it and am always a bit like...'that's it? Can I do chest accessory work now?' bc I'm so used to high volume that it doesn't even give me a pump any more let alone DOMS :'( (lol DO NOT run accessory work unless you are insane, seriously) Would love to hear about it if you decide to try bc it's an amazingly effective program and so simple.

Thanks! I am more together now than previously. History of anorexia and obesity has taught me a lot about this stuff and what not to do. Finally found my groove in powerlifting and back in a good place.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    My only issue with that type of volume is my elbow and my body doesn't seem to be holding up- I have a lot of elbow pain doing the push work- even de-loading it's not going away- so I'm quiet leary of jumping on something that would hit that hard... otherwise- I'm all about doing some leg volume.

I was lifting to failure 3 times a week with stuff- I didn't mind it- I was doing sets of 15-20 and feeling good- saw progress- but think I need to tailor- which is why I jumped on this 20 rep program.

Friend suggested Sheiko to me but that looks like more than I'm willing to bite off right now.

I'll be honest- I kind of love the accessory after big lift workouts- it's so mental- and it makes you sweat. Something about really just gritting it out and sweating through it makes it fun for me.

Powerlifting... iz good chit. I wish everyone could do it at least for a year with some real guidance or purpose- I think it would change who they were- even if they didn't keep it up!!!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just scanned this thread and realized I met my goal! Now it's time to cut. I think if I can actually cut to what I'd like I won't be so scared of the bulk next winter.

I know I haven't actively participated in this forum, but I sure appreciate following the bulking logs. I know it's the way to go, it's just a frightening process.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hi guys.

First time joining a group, you all look fabulous and I'll hopefully pick up some good tips as this is my first time bulking.

Start weigh: 149 (started in February but just found this group yesterday)

Goal: 160

Current: 156

Bf%: no idea but i realised, after starting, that it's probably too high for bulking (around 30%ish, I'd guess) but I was sick of stalling out on my lifts.

I've been buggering about on this site for ages, learning as I go. I've been lifting for, probably, just under a year. I made good strength gains at deficit (1200 + exercise cals) before stalling on squats at between 55 & 60 kg. I then wasted a few months at maintainance, stalling again at the 60 mark.

Somewhere along the line my goals shifted fro weightloss to getting my lifts up :D

The first programme I used was starting strength then moved on to wendlers 5/3/1. This has been a lot better for me as I was getting nowhere with bench and OHP before. I am still obsessed with that squat weight though so I have been doing smolov (I know, I know - shouldn't even consider it till lifting crazy amounts like 300 lb or whatever). I've kept the bench and OHP stuff from 5/3/1 so I'm strength training 5 days a week. No cardio :$ apart from walking to work.

If all goes well this week, I should manage 70kg 10x3 squat by next Tuesday :)

I definitely feel like I've added muscle. I've had a 1.5" increase on bust, 1" on ribs, 1" on hips and 0.5" on my waist. Delighted with this as everything usually goes to my waist (that half inch only appeared yesterday(and double checked today)). My backside looks great apart from a teeny bit of cellulite which has appeared this week.

After this week, I'm due to take 3 weeks off from smolov - I feel like a week off so I'll probably eat at maintainance, take a week off then 2 weeks back to wendlers then decide (from my weight) wether to do the next three weeks of smolov or go for a cut.

Sorry, that got a bit long :/

ETA: forgot the calories - 1830 maintainance, bulking at 2150 ATM.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new members!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Hi. *waves*

I don't know what I'm doing, honestly, but I'm here to learn and it's impolite to lurk so here I am.

My current weight is ~123

I've just started thinking about bulking so I haven't really set target weights, schedules, or macros yet. I've been recomping for about a year, first with Stronglifts and more recently with my own program based on 5/3/1.

I've got health issues, which is a concern for me. Recovery continues to be a problem. And I also run, so that's something to consider as well.

My maintenance (with running 6 miles per week) is about 1950-2000. I've been slowly increasing running distances and gradually increasing calories at the same time.

So, that's all I've got for now. Hope to learn a lot from you ladies.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Hi. *waves*

I don't know what I'm doing, honestly, but I'm here to learn and it's impolite to lurk so here I am.

My current weight is ~123

I've just started thinking about bulking so I haven't really set target weights, schedules, or macros yet. I've been recomping for about a year, first with Stronglifts and more recently with my own program based on 5/3/1.

I've got health issues, which is a concern for me. Recovery continues to be a problem. And I also run, so that's something to consider as well.

My maintenance (with running 6 miles per week) is about 1950-2000. I've been slowly increasing running distances and gradually increasing calories at the same time.

So, that's all I've got for now. Hope to learn a lot from you ladies.

Welcome!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Hi guys.

First time joining a group, you all look fabulous and I'll hopefully pick up some good tips as this is my first time bulking.

Start weigh: 149 (started in February but just found this group yesterday)

Goal: 160

Current: 156

Bf%: no idea but i realised, after starting, that it's probably too high for bulking (around 30%ish, I'd guess) but I was sick of stalling out on my lifts.

I've been buggering about on this site for ages, learning as I go. I've been lifting for, probably, just under a year. I made good strength gains at deficit (1200 + exercise cals) before stalling on squats at between 55 & 60 kg. I then wasted a few months at maintainance, stalling again at the 60 mark.

Somewhere along the line my goals shifted fro weightloss to getting my lifts up :D

The first programme I used was starting strength then moved on to wendlers 5/3/1. This has been a lot better for me as I was getting nowhere with bench and OHP before. I am still obsessed with that squat weight though so I have been doing smolov (I know, I know - shouldn't even consider it till lifting crazy amounts like 300 lb or whatever). I've kept the bench and OHP stuff from 5/3/1 so I'm strength training 5 days a week. No cardio :$ apart from walking to work.

If all goes well this week, I should manage 70kg 10x3 squat by next Tuesday :)

I definitely feel like I've added muscle. I've had a 1.5" increase on bust, 1" on ribs, 1" on hips and 0.5" on my waist. Delighted with this as everything usually goes to my waist (that half inch only appeared yesterday(and double checked today)). My backside looks great apart from a teeny bit of cellulite which has appeared this week.

After this week, I'm due to take 3 weeks off from smolov - I feel like a week off so I'll probably eat at maintainance, take a week off then 2 weeks back to wendlers then decide (from my weight) wether to do the next three weeks of smolov or go for a cut.

Sorry, that got a bit long :/

ETA: forgot the calories - 1830 maintainance, bulking at 2150 ATM.

Welcome!

Forgot to add, how are figuring your calories? Honestly seems a bit low for bulking, even low for maintenance.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hi HMVOL

My BMI's pretty low - in the 1400s but I thought it was a bit low too and was hoping I'd be gradually increasing it - unfortunately, I've packed it on a lot quicker than I'd hoped (I was hoping for 0.5 lb gain a week). I've been pretty much over everyday though, so that shouldn't surprise me :/ I did have a 0.2 drop today, so hopefully things are speeding up and I'll be able to maintain on a bit more eventually.

Got my numbers from IIFYM.com 'textbook' option and compared those to MFP suggestions which were pretty similar calorie wise.
  • NoMouseNoMore
    NoMouseNoMore Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I've been silently lurking for about a month now. I feel comfortable enough to come out and say hello. I'm 42 yo, 5'6" and around 127 lbs.

I want to bulk in mid-August or early September until mid-February. My maintenance calories are 1900-2000 cals. My bulking calories are 2200-2300 cals.

I'd like to put on between 8-10 lbs which would land me at around 135-137 lbs. Although I'd be happy with five lbs. The areas I'd like to see grow would be my glutes, biceps, and back. I'm quite lean already so it will be a real mental challenge for me to see the scale go up, and my abs disappear for awhile but I'm committed to doing this.

The program I plan to follow is "The New Rules of Lifting for Life". I train myself at home. I've gotten good results doing some of the other new rules programs, and I like their structure overall.

I probably won't post here again until I start my bulk but I wanted to say that I'm inspired by all of you. I finally feel I have the confidence and knowledge to properly bulk.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I've been silently lurking for about a month now. I feel comfortable enough to come out and say hello. I'm Toni, 42 yo, 5'6" and around 127 lbs.

I want to bulk in mid-August or early September until mid-February. My maintenance calories are 1900-2000 cals. My bulking calories are 2200-2300 cals.

I'd like to put on between 8-10 lbs which would land me at around 135-137 lbs. Although I'd be happy with five lbs. The areas I'd like to see grow would be my glutes, biceps, and back. I'm quite lean already so it will be a real mental challenge for me to see the scale go up, and my abs disappear for awhile but I'm committed to doing this.

The program I plan to follow is "The New Rules of Lifting for Life". I train myself at home. I've gotten good results doing some of the other new rules programs, and I like their structure overall.

I probably won't post again here until I start my bulk but I wanted to say that I'm inspired by all of you. I finally feel I have the confidence and knowledge to properly bulk.

*waves*
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I've been silently lurking for about a month now. I feel comfortable enough to come out and say hello. I'm 42 yo, 5'6" and around 127 lbs.

I probably won't post here again until I start my bulk but I wanted to say that I'm inspired by all of you. I finally feel I have the confidence and knowledge to properly bulk.

Hi Toni :) I'm so glad you're here!!! <3 can't wait to bulk with you!
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I just joined the group today. I have gotten squinty eyes from reading the whole thread on my phone.
    So my story so far. I dropped a heap of weight, reached goal, but still felt fat. I had started lifting and I liked it but I was buggering about with different programs and had no clear goals. I tried my first bulk at the end of the year but quit quite early in as I could not mentally eat above maintenance, I was not ready. I was starting to try for heavier lifts at this point. Then came Christmas and I easily put on a kilo without even trying. In Feb I decided to give it another go, I was aiming for 12 weeks. I gained about 2 kilos in 8 weeks but felt really fat and not at all strong. Also I was mentally ok with extra calories but physically struggling to eat them( trying to eat too clean I think) So I went on maintenace, a couple of weeks in I got sick, dropped 2kg in 3 days and put it back in a week. Stayed on maintenance to reset. Now this month I am trying to cut a couple of pounds for my holidays.

Long story sorry. The point being, after reading all the posts here I feel confident when I get back to try again. I was overweight for so long that I know I have problems with the "putting on weight" thing, but I know to get more muscle and be stronger I have to not be afraid to put on fat. Hopefully if I can prove to myself that I can actually get a cut phase right then I will be ready for a proper bulk at the end of June. Hopefully nice and slow and for 6 months so I can eat those Christmas calories :-)

Stats
    Was 71-78k 30% bf for about 20 years up and down
    Dropped to 59kg 27% bf
    Currently 63kg 26% bf
    Maintenance cals 1800 plus updated by fitbit eating back exercise calories
    This week only set to 1240 (I had a really wild weekend to make up for)
    Next week plan to be cutting around 1600 plus (I actually came here via your cut thread)
    Plan to bulk around 1900 plus
    Lifting 3 day split set by a pt at the gym. I have felt a real improvement in strength this time. I have been researching the stronglift 5x5 programme. Which I am seriously considering starting after holidays when I begin my bulk. But for now I have cut my reps, increased my weights, and challenged myself to increase either reps or weight each workout. So far it is working out nicely and I am really pleased to finally feel I am making some progress.

Ok ramble over. I just got really excited to find a whole bunch of ladies on the same wavelength as me. I am really happy for any input, comments or advice. My long term goal is very simply more muscle/strength, less fat, and a tummy like barbellgirl :-) Looking at where I started (a big tummy from 3 babies 2 of them where 10lbers) I realize this may not be possible, but it is my motivation.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Welcome to everyone new! This is a great group of ladies with an extreme amount of knowledge. Don't be afraid to chime in even if you are still waiting to bulk in a few months/the Fall.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I finally decided to join the group although I'm not quite ready for my first bulk. I have friends in this group and I'm always being refrenenced information that is posted here so it's time I joined in.

My name is Steph, I'm 5'7, 150ish pounds, 23 year old female. I'm following the SL program currently white at a slight cut. I'm going to cut until about July-September. I would like to cut for a few more months because I still have a high-ish BF% (23-25%) and honestly, I'm vain and want to look the best I can in a swimsuit. Cutting is hard though so I might start maintenance or a bulk earlier. I still have some newbie gains to squeeze out so I want to take advantage of that while still losing some fat.

A quick summary of my fitness progress; Started in Jan 2013 at 180. Lost 30 pounds over 2013 but haven't made any weight progress since then. Ate at maintenance for a few months, started a body weight lifting program then moved on to weight machines at my apartment gym for a few months before starting SL. I ate a little too much during the holidays and then with my recent move so I got up to about 155. I'm hovering around 150-152 right now but I've lost some inches in the last few months.
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi there :flowerforyou:

Well done on your progress so far :smile: