PrimalRunner's Bulking Log

TriLifter
TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
So, I ran my marathon on Saturday, burning over 3800 calories for the day and eating less than 2000 (it's really hard to pack in the food after something like that! I was so sore and could barely move yesterday--still feeling it pretty hardcore today.

OCTOBER 13, 2013 STATS
Weight: 122.8 lbs
Body fat: 20%
Muscle mass: 36.4%

Neck: 12.75 in.
Shoulders: 37.5 in.
Biceps: 10 in.
Forearms: 9 in.
Bust: 33 in.
Strapline: 29 in.
Waist: 26 in.
Bellybutton: 27 in.
Hips: 36 in.
Thighs: 21 in.
Calves: 13.5 in.

FOOD
Plan: 2200 calories/day (+200 cal protein, carb, creatine shake on workout days)
Macros: 30% protein (165g), 15% carbs (83g), 55% fat (134g)

WORKOUT
NROL4W (3x/week)
Elliptical (2-5x/week)
Swimming (1-3x/week)
Running (1-3x/week)

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Bump to follow. Do you plan on continuing with that amount of cardio?
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Congratulations on the marathon, I hope you recover quickly. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • TriLifter
    Bump to follow. Do you plan on continuing with that amount of cardio?

It's going to be a serious cut in cardio from what I have been doing. I was running 4-5x/week (with a long run of 10-17 miles) and doing the elliptical almost every day at lunch.

I'm going to keep the elliptical at lunch while reading a book. Super low effort, just to keep me from sitting on my butt all day. Running will be 1 or 2 sprint/hill sessions and a "long" run of 4-6 miles once a week, maybe not even every week. Swimming is my nemesis. That's laps in a pool, but I can only swim like 6 laps before I'm exhausted and can't move! If I find myself burning too many calories, I'll see about adding food/decreasing exercise (instead of 45 min on the elliptical, move down to 30 min, etc.).
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    in to follow
  • TriLifter
    10/14

Cals In: 2201
    Cals Out: 2287

At first I was freaking out that I was in a slight defecit...but today will most definitely be a surplus (sitting in a classroom doing web training at work all day) so I took a deep breath and I'm calm now. Previous day was a surplus of 206 calories, so I know I'll be okay!
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    In to follow! How was your mary btw?
  • TriLifter
    In to follow! How was your mary btw?

Yeah...marathon didn't go so hot. I finished, but my body broke down at mile 16 and I struggled for the last 10 miles. Really looking forward to concentrating on my lifting now!
  • TriLifter
    First lifting session of my bulk!

NROL4W Stage 1, Workout A

Squats: 15x65 lbs ; 15x70lbs
    Push-ups: 15 ; 15
    Seated Row: 15x50lbs ; 15x50lbs
    Step-ups: 15x20(each hand)lbs ; 15x20(each hand)lbs
    Prone Jacknife: 15 ; 15

I was doing SL5x5 and squatting 115lbs, but I knew I wasn't going to be able to do 15 reps at that weight! The weights I picked were PERFECT for all lifts!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    nice job, thats a great start!

do you do your workout at the gym? Is there cardio incorporated in the nrol4w?
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Nice workout! I started with NROL4W and them moved to SL5x5 after I did the first stage a couple times. I didn't like how complicated the workouts got starting with Stage 2. Maybe I will have to go back an reinvestigate it.
  • TriLifter
    Okay, not sure what happened to my post, but I said that the only cardio in NROL4W is some HIIT at the end of some of the workouts.

I did SL5x5 before, but it got repetitive, which is why I just started NR!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Tagging
  • TriLifter
    Week 1 is done, and what a week it was. I'm totally PMSing, so that's skewing my measurements right now.

Weight: 125.8 (up 3 lbs, but it's mostly water weight)

Goal intake: 2200 non-lifting/2400 lifting days
    Actual average intake: 2258

Goal TDEE: 2000
    Acutal average TDEE: 2201

Actual total surplus for the week: 398

Okay...so, this probably means I need to increase my intake a bit...but because of TOM this week I think I'd like to wait and see how this goes.
  • yogaga1
    Glad you mentioned that you change up your intake on non-lifting days. I have been debating whether or not to do this myself. I'm curious how many other ladies are doing this. Off to troll everyone's log... :)
  • SonyaCele
    <<Glad you mentioned that you change up your intake on non-lifting days. I have been debating whether or not to do this myself. I'm curious how many other ladies are doing this. Off to troll everyone's log... :) >>>

i pposted somethign in the main forum about this. I 'm always hungriest on my recovery days , so i usually eat more on my non-lifting days. when i lift, its only for about 90 minutes and doesn't take that much extra calories to power me through it. but my recovery days... omg my body is aching all over and im feinding for calories to repair everything. So thats my opinion on it.
  • TriLifter
    <<Glad you mentioned that you change up your intake on non-lifting days. I have been debating whether or not to do this myself. I'm curious how many other ladies are doing this. Off to troll everyone's log... :) >>>

i pposted somethign in the main forum about this. I 'm always hungriest on my recovery days , so i usually eat more on my non-lifting days. when i lift, its only for about 90 minutes and doesn't take that much extra calories to power me through it. but my recovery days... omg my body is aching all over and im feinding for calories to repair everything. So thats my opinion on it.

I'm only doing that because they say to in NROL4W. But it's not totally happening in real life LOL!
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Week 1 is done, and what a week it was. I'm totally PMSing, so that's skewing my measurements right now.

Weight: 125.8 (up 3 lbs, but it's mostly water weight)

Goal intake: 2200 non-lifting/2400 lifting days
    Actual average intake: 2258

Goal TDEE: 2000
    Acutal average TDEE: 2201

Actual total surplus for the week: 398

Okay...so, this probably means I need to increase my intake a bit...but because of TOM this week I think I'd like to wait and see how this goes.
    PMS sucks...
  • yogaga1

I'm only doing that because they say to in NROL4W. But it's not totally happening in real life LOL!

:laugh: Yeaaaaaahhhh... I can't imagine I could stick to it for real. I am also much hungrier on rest days. I basically want to eat all the foods forever after legs.
  • SonyaCele
    << Yeaaaaaahhhh... I can't imagine I could stick to it for real. I am also much hungrier on rest days. I basically want to eat all the foods forever after legs. >>>

Leg day recovery OMG all i do is hunt carbs all day long !! dirty rotten sugary baked carbs!
  • TriLifter
    << Yeaaaaaahhhh... I can't imagine I could stick to it for real. I am also much hungrier on rest days. I basically want to eat all the foods forever after legs. >>>

Leg day recovery OMG all i do is hunt carbs all day long !! dirty rotten sugary baked carbs!

I agree--I think in reality I'm more hungry on days I don't lift...the idea in the book is the extra caloires you take in come in the form of a protein shake post-workout. Personally, I don't think I can really stomach more than the 165g protein I aim for usually!