From splasher to swimstar...I hope!

Options

Replies

• holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    The mind set of 3 x 500 plus 100 did help. I thought I was going faster and I had a longer cool down distance after. Next question: should I continue swimming the 1600M every other swim and switch up my "drills" on the off day?
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I think that's a good way to go to build the endurance for the distance - it's 1 thing to be able to make the distance, it's another to make it at a good pace & getting your body used to the distance is the best way to do that. Not only is it conditioning, it's the mental aspect of knowing HOW to swim that distance & how to pace yourself........
  • holly1283
    Options
    What would we girls do without you Mac?:wink:
  • Macstraw
    Options
    *blushing* Can't say I hear that very much (other than from my wife & daughter)........
  • rom838love
    rom838love Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just recently joined MFP and just today found the Swimmer group. I'm a college student and have swam consistently for the past 16 years of my life and it's my favorite type of exercise. Now I'm trying to get healthy and exercise in different ways, but I'm so awkward on land! I realize that's how some people feel in the water, so I commend you all for going for it. I'm a Red Cross swim instructor, lifeguard, and water aerobics instructor, and I just want to say how cool it is to see you all talking about swimming because you want to get healthy, not just to break some record. Keep swimming! I look forward to learning more.
  • holly1283
    Options
    Glad to have another knowledgeable person on board. Welcome to the site!
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I love how we've built this group :)

I've had a full week off swimming since hurting my back but hope to get at least one swim in this week before recommencing lessons this Sunday.
    I decided to do one more session of lessons before the summer to really consolidate what I've been learning and then I can branch out on my own.
    Looking forward to getting back in the pool!
    Lxx
  • rom838love
    Options
    Be careful with your back! Swimming uses some back muscles...just make sure to be wary of it when you're turning. You also might want to avoid butterfly and dolphin kick for a little while. Kicking on your front with a kickboard can put some strain on it too, so when my back's bothering me I try not to use a board and stay in a straight position on my side or back.
    Hope your lesson goes well!
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Ease back in, listen to whatever your body tells you & stretch well. welcome back!!!!!!!!!!
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
    My chiropractor says swimming should be ok. It's my very lower back and pelvis that are causing me problems - my sacroiliac joint so I think front crawl kick etc ok but doc said take it easy with breaststroke kick.
    I'll be careful!
    Lxx
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Also be careful on the turns - hold off on flip turns for awhile & be careful how hard you push off the wall.....
  • holly1283
    Options
    I timed my mile again today and only shaved off 40 seconds. I was hoping for a minute. My tiime is still slow but hopefully when I can swim a practice run in OW it will be faster because of no turns. Oh well:ohwell:
  • rom838love
    Options
    Lauro- glad you can swim again :)

Holly- You still dropped 40 SECONDS!! That's awesome. Just keep going and you'll keep seeing improvements. And cardiovascular endurance isn't the only factor, technique is too, so keep that in mind!
  • holly1283
    Options
    Rom83,
    Thanks for the encouragement. I'm planning to swim an OW mile swim in Aug. I really don't care if I come in last just as long as it isn't WAY last. I'm a 63 yr.old. Just didn't think 40 seconds was a lot in comparison to the distance I swam. Thanks again.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    It actually IS a good drop - look more at long term trends, especially when it comes to distance. As long as your time keeps dropping you're doing good for yourself. I think that by the time August comes you'll have a big overall drop in your time, but I have a funny feeling that even though it will be a bigger drop than you expected when you first started you're still gonna say you wish it was more - human nature being what it is & you being highly motivated......
  • holly1283
    Options
    I just had to share that I shaved another 53 seconds off my mile. I was thrilled. I've been doing more short sprinting. Don't know if it helped but I like to think it did.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Great job, Holly!!!!!!!! I'm sure the sprinting is helping. Overall, it's good to have a mix of workouts or a mix in your workout - the different aspects help in different ways......
  • holly1283
    Options
    I basically have 3 workouts plus my mile day. I do pretty much whatever mood I'm in or how much time I have. Thanks again for your help and support!
  • Macstraw
    Options
    I'm really happy that you're getting to see the fruits of your labors...........
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Good job, I swam 2 miles today @ 77 MIN.