November check-in and chat

Options

Replies

• BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I just wanted to know if anyone had these pains after your first couple sessions and what helps to alleviate it. I finished workout A Tuesday and am doing workout B tonight if my thighs let me squat. They are killing me and have been the last couple of days. I can deal with the pain walking around because I'm used to it from playing tournaments. But I'm hoping I'll be able to power through and get thru this workout tonight, especially since I have a free PT session tonight and want the guy to assist me with my form. Do you guys use anything after your workouts to help with pain in your thighs? I would like to continue my running on opposite days but am not sure I'll be able to if this keeps up. Also, did anyone have pain behind their neck when they first started from where the bar sits? Thanks!

Take a hot Epsom salt bath... DOMS are a b*tch but sickening satisfying ????????
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    50kg squat 3x5 (all to depth, naturally!)
    Bench - 42.5kg had a spotter who did a decent job on the first set, hit 5, new rep PR! Nobody who looked free/approachable for my second set - 4, and then asked the boxer for a spot on the final set who had hovering hands and the last 3 reps 'it's all you' er yeah. I'm counting that as 2!

Did my chin/pull negs which are still woeful, then a minute's plank. The bro corner was a bit busy so I wussed out of trying any more core-y stuff, and someone was curling in the squat rack (with the ez bar.. sigh..) and I haven't yet attempted front squats. Cross with myself for being a wuss and not trying new things, after all the guys do it all the time and don't care (although they only seem to come in matching pairs, maybe that's the problem!).

Got home and realised another good opportunity to squat to depth.. getting out of the bath!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    @Stef - How did you hurt it? I think I joined after everyone had their injuries so I don't know the history of anyone's stuff.

:(

I was getting into position for my squat (backing up) and my foot caught the foam on the floor...twisted a bit I think...I don't really remember as I felt a twinge but nothing serious and it didn't hurt for the rest of the sets.

Did sets on my next workout and really really regretted it...that was almost 2 weeks...I didn't do what I should have done tho I deloaded and still did my squats 2x...thinking it was just probably a pull...but I have had to take almost 1 weeks off my squats now totally.

This to me is not from lifting it was a freak thing...I think I had socks on...I normally lift barefoot...(love it)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Hey guys. I just wanted to know if anyone had these pains after your first couple sessions and what helps to alleviate it. I finished workout A Tuesday and am doing workout B tonight if my thighs let me squat. They are killing me and have been the last couple of days. I can deal with the pain walking around because I'm used to it from playing tournaments. But I'm hoping I'll be able to power through and get thru this workout tonight, especially since I have a free PT session tonight and want the guy to assist me with my form. Do you guys use anything after your workouts to help with pain in your thighs? I would like to continue my running on opposite days but am not sure I'll be able to if this keeps up. Also, did anyone have pain behind their neck when they first started from where the bar sits? Thanks!

I got the DOMS just doing body weight squats (started with a squat challenage) I just worked through it with exercise...hot baths nothing to intensive really...I found the exercise worked the best...ie more squats.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Worked out today... The usual lifts, will try to start 5-3-1 on Tuesday. Need to get back to a regular gym schedule. You ladies are rocking the house! :smile:

Also today I left my gloves at home and lifted naked :bigsmile: It wasn't too painful and I can grip just a little bit better.... You told me so hahaha :tongue:
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

I got the DOMS just doing body weight squats (started with a squat challenage) I just worked through it with exercise...hot baths nothing to intensive really...I found the exercise worked the best...ie more squats.

I don't have a bath, just a shower so guess I'm SOL. But like you said I'll work through it like I did tonight and maybe find some ice-wraps or icy hot or something for my thighs. Thanks!
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Take a hot Epsom salt bath... DOMS are a b*tch but sickening satisfying ????????

It was definitely satisfying to feel the effects of such a light workout. So I'm excited about how this program can help me become stronger and develop muscle over time.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Good news I am not permantely broken...Yah. And I don't have to go back.

Just no squats, rows or DL's for a week, stretches 3x a day and some heat and I should be fine....so only upper body for a week

ie bench and OHP..oh well better then nothing.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    That's great news, Stef! Rest rest and rest, and you'll be back at it in no time!

Lydia - some days I'm all BAMF and pushing my way in to the bros, and some days I feel super hesitant - most of the time you are ripping it up, remember that!

A reminder to folks - DOMS are common in the first few weeks of any new lift, but they will eventually go away. And NOT having them doesn't mean you didn't 'work hard' - it just means your muscles are familiar with the movement.

A second reminder - for the Muricans - Please, please, keep in mind over Thanksgiving week that eating more than normal will cause a bump in water weight (especially if you are restricting). But IT IS WATER, and will disappear the moment you get back to the grind. A day or two of enjoying lots of food with your friends and family is not going to derail you. Plus, your body needs fuel to make all those awesome muscles. :smile: **steps off soap box**

Wendler, Week 3 (max week)
    Bench
    1x5 @ 100
    1x3 @ 110
    1x3 @ 125 (I realized today that I'll have the big plates on by the end of January. Woot!)

3x10 @ 25 one arm bent over dumbbell rows

I didn't have time for more because I was lifting with a gorgeous, awesome, strong friend of mine. I gotta say, when women deadlift, let's just say it makes me consider switching teams. :wink: And it was more important that I support her and help her with form (she asked me) then to milk every last bit out of my workout. Plus, heavy squats tomorrow.

Have a good weekend, all!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    lol when I deadlift, I have a red face, and scary neck from the valsalva, but each to their own ;)
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    A second reminder - for the Muricans - Please, please, keep in mind over Thanksgiving week that eating more than normal will cause a bump in water weight (especially if you are restricting). But IT IS WATER, and will disappear the moment you get back to the grind. A day or two of enjoying lots of food with your friends and family is not going to derail you. Plus, your body needs fuel to make all those awesome muscles. :smile: **steps off soap box**

qft. enjoy the day.

...granted my thanksgiving is followed my 3 family birthdays (one is mine) and then christmas and new years. December is always busy for me.
  • kirabob
    Options
    lol when I deadlift, I have a red face, and scary neck from the valsalva, but each to their own ;)

LOL. My face is hilarious while deadlifting - but I was watching my friends form, not her face. It just always astounds me, how powerful we look when we pick up those heavy things. And I don't ever get to watch myself from the side. But yeah - deadlift and squat face are pretty funny!
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options

It was definitely satisfying to feel the effects of such a light workout. So I'm excited about how this program can help me become stronger and develop muscle over time.

I always get bad DOMS in the first two weeks after a long break. My foam roller really helps me. Hurts so good. :sad: :happy:
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Hey Ladies Workout B for me...well sort of just doing OHP tonight.

WAs suppose to go up to 80lbs and it just wasn't happening even on the first set so staying at 75lbs tonight no point in staying at 80 imo.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I usually don't see myself lifting as my gym doesn't have mirrors near the power racks/deadlift platforms. Plus I read somewhere when I first started lifting it's better to "feel" the movement instead of watch it. I also face away from the mirror if I Deadlift at the Y cause it just feels weird now. So I was feeling all good earlier thinking "there is a tiny chance I don't look ridiculous while lifting." I met my friend at golds today for our workout. There is only one power rack and it is in front of a giant mirror. I happened to catch a glance of myself while squatting. CONFIRMED RIDICULOUS AND RED.

Stef that's a sweet OHP! I think i started going up 2.5 lbs/workout at like 60lbs and maybe 2lbs/workout at 70 :laugh:

So today I did squat and bench. I squatted 210x3 and then 235x2 and x1 for lulz. Then I benched a TON because I decided to work on benching with a ridiculous power lifting arch so I can win things. So I did double for all my warm up sets, and got 138x2.5 for my final set. We were there for over an hour and a half at that point, and gold doesn't have bumper plates so I figured I could skip rows. /looks innocent.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    So was running late today…decided to skip squats as I'll be doing them again on Sunday anyway.

Bench 85x7 87.5x5 90x4 95x2

Rows 92.5x6 95x6 97.5x3

Bench felt really good. Thought about rounding up to 100 on rows…glad I didn't. Soon (must have patience)!

I look ridiculous lifting too. Had my husband snap some photos once and immediately deleted them. I didn't look BAMF at all, just puffy and red. Ugh. I hate photos of me anyway.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have several pics of me lifting, but only a few I would ever post. Mostly I look pretty gross. But I love the way my upper arms look when I'm deadlifting and I'm kind of self-conscious about them otherwise. So there's a pic of me deadlifting on my profile. :bigsmile:

5x5 on all today:
    Squat 100
    Bench 50
    BO DB Row 25#DB (No Pendlays just yet. Still working on some scapula issues.)

Squats went pretty well today. Nice and deep. I'm going to move up more slowly this time around. I want to be sure the rest of my core is in line with my leg strength.
    Bench is still easy. I start by benching dumbbells because I'm pretty uneven. Left side is much weaker right now.

@Fittree: That is a great bench! Wow!

edit: to fix my grammar
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    So actually worked out yesterday but never got on line. End of week 2 on strong curves. And I got a bit fed up of not having any extra weight on my squats, been busting out 3x20 bodyweight no trouble at all. I have been working hard on my form and only going to parallel as I can hold my hips straight for that. It's only when I go A2G that I get the horrid twist in my hips. Anyways I decided I would do goblet squats instead. They are a part of the program in another 2 weeks anyway so by then I should have a decent goblet squat weight.
    Yesterday I did
    3 x 60s glute bridge marches (feeling those int eh backs of my legs and bottom today) and 8 seated cable rows @ 32kg
    3 x 14kg goblet squat 15 reps with 8 x 10kg dumbell incline bench
    10 leg cable pull outs @18kg with each leg
    10 x rope chops @ 18kg one set left and one right
    And an RKC plank for 30s

All this left me shaking and non functional when I went in to tesco for a few bits on my way home. I was only going in for some cleaning stuff, but I couldn't remember even what I went in there for lol. Teach me to have a lie in on my day off and go to the gym later than normal without anything to eat first!

On the injuries and random hip twist note, I booked to go see a chiro through groupon recently. Been for my initial consult scan and x ray already and had the results plus a treatment yesterday. Good news is nothing really very wrong. Muscle is relatively symmetrical if a bit uneven in my back. General pulse, bp and hydration is good, the neck x ray is to look for degeneration and disc impaction etc. Bit of a loss of curve but otherwise not bad. They reckon it is muscular tension in my neck which is causing everything else to twist and compensate (and leaving my right leg about 2 inches shorter than my left!)

She cracked my back and neck a few times gave me some stretches to do at home and will see me next week. Got 2 more sessions paid for (including next week) She reckons it may take 1 or 2 further weekly to sort the initial bit out then just maintenance work from time to time (monthly/quarterly or whatever) So hopefully I shall have level legs soon :D

Also, I do a lot of sort of peculiar gurning while lifting - I cannot think of myself as looking hawt at that moment, that said I totally get what you mean about seeing ladies lifting real weights. It is a good look ;)

Cpiton, benching with 50lb in dumbells and you can call that pretty easy. So impressed!

Tree, you are squatting 2 small people there! And benching a good size person too!

Macy you will be smashing that 100lb row so soon! And likewise impressive benching

I am so in awe of you ladies who have such awsome upper body strength, Lydia, Stef yourselves are most certainly included in that too!

And today I am _Hungry_ so will be stuffing ma face mostly!

Incidentally although I am not sore particularly from the chiro (it hurt at the time) my right side feels like it is kind of stretching out and dropping a bit - may be pschological though lol!
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I opted out of lifting Friday morning because my alarm went off at 5am and my body told me to eff myself. I instead went this morning. had my first encounter with someone else using the only rack. luckily he was finishing up and I got to start only 5 minutes after getting there.

all 5x5
    Squat 80 (dropped down to work on form) Felt decent.
    Bench 80lbs I decided to up 10lbs on this one. The last two sets were killer but damn I did them!
    Row - 25lbs I am doing the bent over row right now to work on getting form correct. I did 5 sets per arm of 5. I did try one set with the empty bar but if just felt wrong. I need to just put the bar on the ground and then find something to prop it. I'll get there.

Now off to clean house for our impromptu game night we decided to have.
  • kirabob
    Options
    Tree - When is your meet? I can't wait to hear about your total sweep! :smile:

There was a tool at my gym this morning that didn't want to share, so I only had time for my main lift. But that's okay, I still showed him to never underestimate the 5'4" girl.

Squats:
    1x5 @ 170
    1x3 @ 195
    1x3 @ 215

And that ends my 3rd cycle of Wendler. I'm taking the week off, and will start my 4th cycle after Thanksgiving. I did a little forward projection and got REALLY excited. In March I will have been lifting a year, and if all goes well (knock on wood), I will be deadlifting 265, squatting 255, benching 145 and military pressing 110. AND I WILL BE A 40 YEAR OLD BADASS! :smile: