November check-in and chat

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I started there because 65 lbs was recommended and for the weights I had this was close and comfortable for me (except for my neck). My neck hurts after things like push ups, mountain climbers, crunches, etc. Even sometimes things like zumba can aggravate it. The only time it wasn't too bad was when I was pretty much on bed rest for my entire pregnancy and after when I did nothing but walk for almost a year. I'm hoping by going slow it wouldn't bother it. I guess I will drop the weights down for next time and see how it feels.

I guess I should start lighter for dead lifts then? I was going to start at 80 since I know I can lift that, but maybe I should go lighter?

You can't go wrong starting light. Just make sure the bar is at the right height on the floor. I put plates under mine when I'm under 135lbs. :)

Personally, I'd concentrate on squats before I worried about going heavy on rows. That's the first thing I did when my PT gave me the ok. Think about making the rows very light for now just to get those muscles firing and to perfect your form. Make sure you're activating the stabilizer muscles in your neck and shoulders before lifting, too. Maybe do some static holds and stretches before you lift. I got mine from my PT. If I don't do these, I get a fat headache.
    Sometimes I get one anyway. Stinks. :(

Also, you might want to ice your neck after lifting. It helps me.
    And, as Fittree said, keeping your neck in neutral as best you can helps. I'm constantly having to think about this. I'm always either staring at my feet or the sky for some reason. Haha

Good luck and let us know how it works out. :smile:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Squat rack in use so had the power cage which in my opinion is set up backwards. You pretty much have to headbutt the wall to get under the bar then are looking at whitewash 2 foot away for the duration.. anyway 52.5kg squats 3x5 no twinges.
    Had to wait for a bench so started my frog kicks. Still have the DOMS from Saturday on these!
    Bench 42.5kg no spotter the first two sets 5 then 4. Then the dad guy spotted me as I started my last set and I got all 5. He does a decent job, hands well away and talked the last rep up! Chuffed although I should have asked for a spot earlier.

His son and a friend were power cleaning or power something (then dropping the bar from waist height. Overheard talk of wod so sadly think xfit is infiltrating!).. anyway I wasn't about to mix it up with them on my non existent power cleans at this point.. did more frog kicks, some chin and pullup negs (with some excellent advice to stop thinking of my arms as doing the work but focus on my back). They are still kitten weak but not quite as awful as before... Then a plank and home!
  • cpiton
    Options
    @Roxy: I don't mind dumbbell work (it's what I started lifting with) but I get impatient when I see my oly bar eyeballing me from its little perch on my squat rack. haha Still, dumbbells are simply the best for addressing weak side issues. I never should have stopped using them. Lesson learned.

@Vendy: I threw out my back not too long ago and it was miserable. I understand how you feel. The things I'm doing to prevent it happening again are building up my core and stretching my hips better, especially before deadlifting. I'm thinking of taking a yoga class to help with the stretching. If I can find one that doesn't cost a million bucks. :)

@Lydia: The chin up negs I did yesterday were just brutal. Good advice on paying attention to your back instead of your arms. I'll have to see where my head is when I'm doing them. Mostly I just whimper a bit. Okay, a LOT.

I am thanking the gods of lifting that I decided to check my enormous ego at the door and start at a low weight on deadlifts. 'Cause I am t-t-toast.

Day 2 of Wendler 5/3/1:Dia de los Deadlifts

DL 85lb, 90lb, 95lb 1x5 each & 50lb 5x10 (I split it up between RDL and Straight leg DLs)
    Then 5x15 leg raises. I do them on the floor right now, but I don't bounce or cheat. I'm hoping to hang on the bar to do a set or two next workout. This time, however, my shoulders were still swollen from yesterday's OHP extravaganza. So, you know, I didn't even try.
    Add in 10 minutes of warm ups and 8 minutes of post workout stretches and I was kaput. I shall sleep well tonight.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Fittree, I do try to keep my neck/head neutral when doing things like push ups, but yesterday I wasn't really paying attention to that. I was trying to get the form right which is hard since I don't have mirrors (yet). I will try to make sure to do that tomorrow. I do not have the money to join a gym as I am trying to buy more equipment for lifting, I still need a squat rack and lots of weights. I do have a friend that can help with form but he keeps pushing me to lift smaller weights and more reps. He says i will get bulky which I know isn't true. It makes me wonder how much he really knows. I don't have a disk problem, I have a couple C vertebrae that are almost fused and I had an injury when I was young that did something that my chiropractor says looks like whiplash.

Vendygirl, I wore flat flip flop type shoes because I read to wear flat shoes when lifting and they were all I had. The garage floor is freezing so I need something. I definitely was going forward, and a friend told me to put a chair behind me (same friend I mentioned above), but then I was told not to. I will try to find a low enough chair that my legs drop down enough.

cpiton, I will definitely be doing some stretches before and after. Ice sounds great too. Any tips on what stretches to do? I don't know any names for the stretches I was given by my message therapist and chiropractor.

Thanks so much to everybody for all the help! I really appreciate it!
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was a bunch of awesomeness I just read up in here. Y'all are doing fabulous! :flowerforyou:

I bought a pair of fat jeans today. Size 17. Yep. :noway:

Sigh.

Menopause is such fun. It doesn't seem to matter if I eat or don't eat, exercise or don't exercise, my body is just bloated all the time these days and all over the place on the scale even though my intake has been pretty stable. Awesome. LET'S JUST TAKE ALL THE RULES AND THROW THEM OUT THE WINDOW. HAVE A NICE DAY. :grumble:

I'm going to just keep lifting and ride this thing out. Hopefully things will settle eventually, and hopefully sooner rather than later because this is making me quite frazzled around the edges. :huh:
    Dani, I feel you. Menopause...uugggghhhh!!!!! I don't mind the flashes but the weight that won't budge is killing me. But I'll keep riding this horse until I get it right. And when I do, I'll shout it from the mountain top.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Read everyone's updates, glad yall are figuring things out it sounds like!

Today I did my B workout after doing A yesterday, its a love/hate relationship only having to pay a little for the university gym where I work but having to deal with it being closed more around holidays and breaks...so its closed until Sunday. At least I won't be home until Monday (will have to find something to occupy myself this holiday weekend)

Squats: 3x5 110lbs
    OHP: 3x5 45lbs - think I'll increase next time. I feel like my form is better than when I started SLs the end of summer so I'll continue to be cautious going up.
    DL: 1x5 100lbs - was going to do 105lbs as that was the 10lb increase but since I'm taking everything else nice and slow figured I would for this too.

I think I discovered why my hands hurt so much on DLs-the older olym bars at the gym have ridges really close together for the grip parts so they feel like they dig into my skin. I'll have to try a newer bar next time to see if there is a good enough difference.

Won't be lifting again until probably Wednesday next week unless I can find a way to tag along with my parents to their gym sometime :cry:
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Care, can you get some video?
  • jw203
    jw203 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I haven't really been checking in as I've been doing more training towards Olympic lifts than Stronglifts. BUT at the end of our final training session comp yesterday I finally got my 100kg dealift. I'M SO HAPPY.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv1p3ikt52I&feature=youtube

Yaaay.

Hopefully I'll get back to some Stronglifts now over our training session break. I haven't benched in forever. But I can snatch and clean and jerk now! Even if it's only at 30kg and 40g resp.

I plan on reading back over this thread later on to get me back into the Stronglifts zone.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Hey gotta big project to squeeze in at work so....

Squat 90lbs 5x5
    Row 55lbs 5x5 (real one with the barbell no dumbells today)
    Bench 85 3x5 then 2x4 - I felt a strain on my right shoulder on the last two sets so I didn't want to push it.

Have a great thanksgiving weekend folks!
  • debress
    debress Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Squat 90 pounds 5x5
    Overhead press 58 pounds 5x5
    Deadlift 145 pounds 1x5

I am so excited! Pretty sure 90 pounds is the most I ever squatted, and did it almost comfortably 5x5! My lifting partner keeps saying I'm slipping the bar off my right shoulder, but I didn't get it. The chiropractor I saw on Monday said my right shoulder is lower than the left. Now it makes perfect sense. This is the heaviest I've squatted AND the first time I actually didn't have pain in my right wrist from trying to hold the bar. We tweaked my form until I really have that weight up on my shoulders, and my hands are just guiding, rather than supporting any weight. What a difference proper form makes!

Same statement is true for OHP. Minor tweak to form means I can lift more with less struggle. I was lowering the bar all the way back down to hit my chest each time, and then struggling to get it back up. Lowering it just a couple inches less made a huge difference. The one other tweak is focusing on keeping my elbows from winging out. I actually feel confident that I will do 60 pounds next time!

Deadlift: I just feel like a beast! I weigh 135. I'm only 5'2". I never thought I could deadlift this much! Best compliment my lifting partner made today was that I made this lift look easy with good form.

Next best thing: We made plans to lift on Friday. Not gonna get off track due to the turkey holiday!

So excited! Can you tell??
  • wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @debress: Nice!!
  • cpiton
    Options
    @care: I'll look for some links to the stretches I do and send them your way. :)

@jw203: 100kg DL? Wow!

:smile:
  • Care76
    Options
    Care, can you get some video?

I plan on getting my husband to record me this time. Last time I didn't feel like waiting for him to go in the house and go find my phone.

@cpiton, thanks so much. The ones I do regularly are where you take your hand and bend your neck to each side. Then I also do that and then bend my head down a bit. Those are what I was always told to do, but I know I was given some using a door frame and I forgot about those. I think those were for my arm/shoulder though. I also have to tip my head back off of a chair or the bed. That feels great.

So should I do less for deadlifts tonight? I think I could do 80lbs no problem because I lift 2 large water cooler bottles easily. Those might be easier because they are in two different hands?

On another note, I am so impressed with those of you who have such high number! Wow, I hope someday I can get there or a lot closer than what I am now.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies on workout b today but still giving my leg that required rest so no Squats or DL's.

OHP today got the 80 up 3x5 then 1x3 last set 1x4. Feeling powerful...

It's sort of funny too as I was out with some friends this weekend and they said my shoulds and traps are getting big and I shouldn't wear spagetti strap shirts anymore...hehe...I had to laugh really.

Wasn't a compliment but I took it as one.
  • Care76
    Options
    Steph, I can't imagine doing 80lbs for OHP! Way to go!

I have a couple videos. They are so completely embarrassing. I will post them in the form check thread.
  • cpiton
    Options
    @cpiton, thanks so much. The ones I do regularly are where you take your hand and bend your neck to each side. Then I also do that and then bend my head down a bit. Those are what I was always told to do, but I know I was given some using a door frame and I forgot about those. I think those were for my arm/shoulder though. I also have to tip my head back off of a chair or the bed. That feels great.

So should I do less for deadlifts tonight? I think I could do 80lbs no problem because I lift 2 large water cooler bottles easily. Those might be easier because they are in two different hands?

My advice? Start low on deads and see how you feel the next day. If no pain, move up.

Those doorway stretches are good. I do them, too. Your arm/shoulder stretches will benefit your neck. It's all connected in there. :) When I first went to the PT it was for killer pain down both arms. It felt like someone was pulling on them very hard all the time and I couldn't feel my fingers. After 72 hours of virtually no sleep, I went to my doc for either pain meds or a sledgehammer to the skull and she sent me to the PT (with a nice narcotic, thank God). We didn't know where it was in my neck until the swelling went down, three weeks later. No fun :(
    Here's a link to some stretches:
    http://www.naturalphysiques.com/159/stretching-guide-part-i-upper-body-stretches-by-jeremy
    I thought they looked good.
    Also, did your PT have you doing I's and T's on an exercise ball? Those have helped me a lot. These are on a table, but you get the idea:
    http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/exercise/exercises/yti.html

Hope that helps. I wish I had been doing these all along. I think my bench and OHP would have been much higher.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Stef I would consider that more reason to wear spaghetti straps - show 'em off :D
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Been feeling a bit off today and gassy, nearly wussed out but went in the end.

Squats - 55kg - 3x5 return of the knee slide. Used TUBOW a bit which I think has helped some but I feel like I'm floundering around with the same issues that keep coming up over and over. Guess that's the sport hey..
    This is the final set, back felt pretty hot after but no pain, right hamstring felt it on the very last rep but just tightness.
    Ugh you really see my pooch today, somehow the cardio isn't appealing..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0pqta9QkrE

Press - 32.5kg - 533 and my nemesis returns. This is the first set, the next two were too ugly to even show!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQzoq45Fzio

Deadlift - 60kg x 5 hopped up as it was so light last time. The putting it down isn't perfect I think - not sitting it back down enough. Think my hip height is a bit better than last time. Still feels light.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyveo7TE-qI

and some negatives on the chins and pull ups. Feels like zero progress.