November check-in and chat

Options

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Unplanned trip this evening after a cake filled afternoon tea! Sadly the cake wasn't as good fuel as you might imagine..

Squats - worked up to 52.5kg, which should have been my working weight but back felt decidedly tight so I left it there.
    Press - 32.5kg which I managed 555 last time I only managed 333 *sigh* the nemesis strikes again!
    Deadlift - jumped up to 50kg which still feels light, will try to put a vid up so someone knowledgeable can tell me if I'm putting it back down correctly (my suspicion is that the physio's concerns were because I was using an empty bar rather than that my form is quite so bad..).

Gym closes at 8pm on a Saturday so I left my pullup/chinup attempts and tried some new core stuff - glute bridges. my only comment is ow!
    Frog kicks - quite surprised I could do these and did 3 sets of 10 on one of the benches.
    Then the owners' mum introduced me to the ab roller. Well that was funny, the first attempt I went too far and landed on my face, so I was a bit over conservative after that but feeling it in my lower back on the way back up. Will treat with caution! Then some mucking around with a swiss ball but mostly chatting for the last 15 minutes!

Oh, and breaking news.. there was another girl there when I got there!! Of the blonde-ponytailed looked like a cardio bunny being the pupil on a bunch of machines (seemed obsessed with improving the appearance of her calves.. I suppressed the urge to tell her to squat!), but hey, another girl!

Will probably do some planks and stuff now at home..

ps Tree, I always skip rows now!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    And that ends my 3rd cycle of Wendler. I'm taking the week off, and will start my 4th cycle after Thanksgiving. I did a little forward projection and got REALLY excited. In March I will have been lifting a year, and if all goes well (knock on wood), I will be deadlifting 265, squatting 255, benching 145 and military pressing 110. AND I WILL BE A 40 YEAR OLD BADASS! :smile:

Kira you ARE a BADASS! That is so inspiring.

For myself, I can only hope to get back to it tomorrow or Monday morning. I hurt my IT band (I think) as I was upping my running mileage for an 8k Thanksgiving Trot but today it hasn't been bothering me. I took some time off and did some exercises my friend suggested as he just hurt his IT band recently as well. I miss lifting (and even running) when I can't do them now. I feel antsy :sad:
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I did a little forward projection and got REALLY excited. In March I will have been lifting a year, and if all goes well (knock on wood), I will be deadlifting 265, squatting 255, benching 145 and military pressing 110. AND I WILL BE A 40 YEAR OLD BADASS! :smile:

Kira, you're already a badass, 40 years old, or not!

Workout B for me tonight:

Squats 5x5 @ 70 lbs 1x5 @ 75 (my "just to see how it feels for next time" set)
    OHP 5x5 @ 35, It amazes me how what was so hard last time, was much easier tonight. I love visible progression!
    DL 1x5 @ 85lbs, 1x3 @ 90

My workout felt good tonight! The gym wasn't very busy and I was the only female anywhere near the weight section. I'm feeling more and more at home every time I go. :happy:

I'm glad to see some of you are healing. The rest of you, continue to rest!
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    lwood - there are a few women that stalk the weight area in my gym and two of them are in their 80s! Twins actually. they mainly stick to weight machines but they are there every morning when I am. The ladies I see in the weight area mainly with trainers Or in pairs working. Only seen 1 or 2 women at the squat rack without the trainer.

Kira - I hate to repeat what everyone else said but really I don't because you ARE a bad *kitten*! killer lifting lady!!

Crusin- Nice on the progression with the OHP. That one is a killer.

I am off to my weekly yoga class and man are my shoulders and traps a little sore from the rows and bench yesterday. Phew. Not as bad as the first time but pushing the weight up on those I believe was a good idea. :D

Happy Sunday ladies.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Kira- echoing other here that you are a supa bamf! To answer your question my meet is on 12/8. I'm pretty excited. My liftaversairy is on 12/18 and a week or so after my meet I'm going to re-test my 1RM then start on 531. It'll be exciting to see where I am! I will remain a 31 year old badass until January. :wink: :laugh:

Vendy, my traps are almost always sore! I spend a lot of quality time with a rumble roller.

Lydia, I had a ton of oreos at work the other day, and they did not do my workout any favors either. I was expecting them too and I was very underwhelmed. Also I want to skip rows all the time, but I know they are good for me. Pouts.

cpiton -Thanks for the compliment. I'm pretty sure I gained at least 15lbs on my bench just by perfecting my form. (not including the ridiculous arch.) That should give me more in theory, but since I've only done it one day it hasn't yet.

Roxy- Good to hear you're not in too bad of shape :wink:

Hope all you injured people get better!
  • rlw911
    Options
    Deadlift - jumped up to 50kg which still feels light, will try to put a vid up so someone knowledgeable can tell me if I'm putting it back down correctly

Lydia, please put up a video. I have to pull from the bottom of the rack and I'm curious to see how you do it. I feel like I do ok, but I'll be glad when I don't have to do it anymore. I've YouTubed some, but I'd like to see someone I "know" do it. :smile:
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    whoops forgot sorry - here you go! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvIB6Gw1VHk
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi all, back on the SL wagon again (or as close as I get to it!) this week. I think I did a Session B (is that the OHP one?)

I did my PT's version of squats (this week I'm holding a 10kilo weight against my tummy and squatting to a milk crate) and I feel like I'm slowly gaining some control of the descent, which is great! I did 5x5 of these

Then I did OHP for 5x5 of 20.5kg. Geez, it's hard to increase these! Oh well, I'm still stronger than I used to be!

And finally I did 3 x 5 deadlifts at 55kg. I do a couple of extra sets as I miss out on increasing my squats. It's not the true SL progression, but that's just tough! I'm doing the deadlift style that the PT adjusted me too - slightly pointing out my toes and having my hands further apart than they were. So, I dropped the weight so I could focus on form and am increasing to my previous PR of 60 or 65kg. No rush!

That's it for me now. I'm going to check out Lydia's youtube link now :)
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Well, Elaine tells me that my hips are high (and my hips don't lie!).

I'm trying to follow this setup (from the starting strength forum):

1. Take your stance, feet a little closer than you think it needs to be and with your toes out more than you like. Your shins should be about one inch from the bar, no more. This places the bar over the mid-foot – the whole foot, not the mid-instep.

2. Take your grip on the bar, leaving your hips up. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

3. Drop your knees forward and out until your shins touch the bar. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

4. Hard part: squeeze your chest up as hard as you can. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. This establishes a "wave" of extension that goes all the way down to the lumbar, and sets the back angle from the top down. DO NOT LOWER YOUR HIPS – LIFT THE CHEST TO SET THE BACK ANGLE.

5. Squeeze the bar off the floor and drag it up your legs in contact with your skin/sweats until it locks out at the top. If you have done the above sequence precisely as described, the bar will come off the ground in a perfectly vertical path. All the slack will have come out of the arms and hamstrings in step 4, the bar will not jerk off the ground, and your back will be in good extension. You will perceive that your hips are too high, but if you have completed step 4 correctly, the scapulas, bar, and mid-foot will be in vertical alignment and the pull will be perfect. The pull will seem "shorter" this way.

wonder if my height means that I need to do something slightly different?
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I read something recently about most people being stronger by rounding their backs rather than arching as "correct" form would have us do. This is true for me, there was a whole lot of science in there about why which just boggled my mind but who knows...

Glute bridges, yep they are um effective, and oh the DOMS.

This strong curves program has me doing romanian dead lifts (or a version of) to get muscle memory for the hip pattern. Might be a useful accessory lift?

Tree bet the meet will be awesomely inspiring.

Just thinking how good it is that not pnly do we have an amazing set of bamfs in here as far as our lifting goes, it is great that we all have the confidence to walk in the weight room and do our own thing. Almost all of us are doing some slight modification of stronglifts and there are no apologies for mixing it up. We are all strong enough and confident enough to do our own thing and do what suits our bodeis :D
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Roxy, I think the arching thing may give you a bit of extra pull at max/competition weights (and I think is inevitable) but if you do that every time you're going to wreck your back. I'd rather sacrifice a bit of strength for safety!
  • roxylola
    Options
    I agree to an extent I just wonder how much is that we do it this way because this is the way we do it. Is there actual evidence of this or does that come from people who have not spent time building up to a weight and have pulled their backs because they were attempting something they were not strong enough to do full stop. Not advocating it at all, just pondering
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Back at it this morning after giving 2 extra days of no IT band pain just to make sure I was in the clear. Leg lifts have become my friend.

Workout A:
    Squats 3x5 at 105lbs
    Before I took a break I was at 135lbs I think so I'm ready to be back up there!
    Bench: 3x5 at 60lbs. I felt good on these, I remembered that I struggled to have control and straight line movement at the higher weight I previously was at so I focused on that.
    Rows: Meh. 3x5 @ 55lbs.

The problem with Thanksgiving being this week is I workout at a university gym so they'll be closed Wednesday even though I'll still be around and working (dang kids! [I'm only 2 years out of school haha])
    So after Thanksgiving I may drop my running down to 2 days a week and up lifting to 4, I'll be off 2 weeks for Christmas and New Years and also out of town for at least a week so I want to get it all in before then!
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    I agree to an extent I just wonder how much is that we do it this way because this is the way we do it. Is there actual evidence of this or does that come from people who have not spent time building up to a weight and have pulled their backs because they were attempting something they were not strong enough to do full stop. Not advocating it at all, just pondering

I didn't read it as advocating :) I think from my limited understanding of starting strength, that the spine is going to be strongest as a column (hence the valsalva maneuver supporting it by stiffening the whole trunk too). Once you introduce flexion, each individual vertebrae and the connective discs are not going to be able to share the load with their neighbours as they will be in a different plane (thinking of the gravitational force pulling down and the moment arms that that book goes into in infinite detail!).

I may be totally wrong, will have to ask my GP sister in a couple of weeks when I see her!
  • debress
    debress Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Did my first roll of shame on bench press today. Was trying to do 70 pounds, and couldn't get the 4th rep on the 4th set up. Rolled the bar down and tipped my tiny weights off. Decided to try the 5th set to see if I could at least get a few reps, and someone came over to spot me and I did all 5! (Yay!) He did yell at me on the last one to get me to do it, which really did help, and I think having the spotter helped mentally.

Still progressing on squats, though it is getting hard. I'm up to 88 pounds, and am getting drooly at the thought of squatting in the triple digits soon. I'm pretty sure my personal best is 90 pounds, which I never could lift consistently.
  • roxylola
    Options
    hehe yes just wanted to put that in so I don't get sued or something! Bodies is complicated, and we are learning all the time is my conclusion.

Debress, just shows you can do it! That is a pretty decent bench there
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    well done deb! yes, having someone there gives you the reassurance to go for a rep you aren't certain of, and being encouraged to do it vociferously helps too (unless their hand is on the bar and they are saying 'it's all you'. Then you feel irritated!)
  • rlw911
    Options
    Lydia, as you know, I'm definitely not an expert, but if you're following the SS/Rippetoe instructions, I don't see how you could get your hips down any lower. Your back looks pretty neutral to me. (OT - did you notice I updated my profile pic to show off my pixie?)

OK, so I have questions and I'm not sure how to ask, so that they make sense. Here goes:

I'm at 95lbs on DL. Obviously, the weights are too small for me to pull from the floor, so I use the lowest hooks on the front of the power rack to hold the bar. My gym has the stupid octagonal weights, so between the hassle of stacking weights to the proper height and not always being able to put the weights down in the proper position, it's just easier to use the hooks. At what weight will I be able to have them at a proper height to pull from the floor? And, does it really matter? I just want to do them the "right" way.
  • rlw911
    Options
    Roxy, I enjoy learning about different ways of thinking and doing things. It's one of the things I thought/wondered about when I was watching form videos on YouTube. Rippetoe is well respected, but what makes his way, the right way or only way? I've seen some people on the general forums recommend videos by that Candito kid, yet he has a video explaining why Rippetoe's method of hip drive on squats is wrong. It makes it hard to decided who to listen to. Obviously, Rippetoe has a little more experience behind his name, but should that make him the only "expert"?
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    check out the starting strength forum - they pretty much pulled that video to pieces, the kid had his 'facts' all mixed up as I recall.
    Rip's is one way (not the only way) of training squats, but I like from the book how scientific he is (the lever arms etc) and it makes sense to me.

I do like your hair!

and you will be able to pull from the floor when you have the equivalent of one 'big' (20kg/44lb) plate per side. Although with octagonal plates, I don't envy you. My last gym at the almost-but-not-quite-round plates and they were ghastly. One tip is to put a couple of mats under them so that when you put the bar down it doesn't roll away from you. Or reset between each lift.