December 2013 Move Your *kitten* Challenge

Options

Replies

• itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Last run of the month, last run of the year, and second run with my funky new trainers, oooh!

12/31 4.10 mi. Running

12/23 2.82 mi. Running
    12/22 3.10 mi. Running

12/18 3.28 mi. Running
    12/17 3.98 mi. Running
    12/12 3.32 mi. Running
    12/11 3.19 mi. Running
    12/10 2.82 mi. Running
    12/08 3.60 mi. Running
    12/06 3.10 mi. Running
    12/03 2.50 mi. Running

Total: 35.8 miles (according to Runkeeper)
    Goal: 30 miles

A huge thanks to all you guys who put so much time and effort into the "*kitten* spreadsheet" :D I went from zero to 35 miles in a few months, and I'm pretty sure one of the main reasons for that was setting a goal and getting so much motivation to help me meet it. You rock!
  • sugah11
    sugah11 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

exercise.png

woo hoo!!!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR! ON TO BIGGER CHALLENGES NEXT YEAR! :smile:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Adding 9.91 miles today and just wanted to mention...19,722 steps! :drinker:
    Chris

You didn't just get to 18,001 - you CRUSHED IT. Nice job Chris!

Edit: posted too soon - just saw your update that you exceeded 20K. Awesome.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Since there are so many of us using fitbits, why don't we start an @ss-mover fitbit group? It shouldn't be that hard and it doesn't take any extra tracking work. What do you think?

Would this be in addition to/a subpart of/instead of this group?

Okay, I just created a MYAC fitbit group at http://www.fitbit.com/group/223SRT. You are welcome to join.
    The purpose of the group is to provide some extra motivation to @ss-movers who already use a fitbit device. It doesn't replace anything, it's meant to enhance the myac experience and it's strictly optional :bigsmile:

exercise.png

Sweet - I'm in. I wasn't getting that it was going to be in Fitbit (not MFP). Thanks for setting that up!
  • taxmom9093
    taxmom9093 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Since there are so many of us using fitbits, why don't we start an @ss-mover fitbit group? It shouldn't be that hard and it doesn't take any extra tracking work. What do you think?

Okay, I just created a MYAC fitbit group at http://www.fitbit.com/group/223SRT. You are welcome to join.
    The purpose of the group is to provide some extra motivation to @ss-movers who already use a fitbit device. It doesn't replace anything, it's meant to enhance the myac experience and it's strictly optional :bigsmile:

exercise.png

Thanks Dinos! I think I may need that extra kick in the A starting in January.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Adding another 14 miles today. I won't make my goal but I can still keep working. :-) 223 for the month.

exercise.png
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Adding 9.91 miles today and just wanted to mention...19,722 steps! :drinker:

Four miles was with my grandpuppy, Bean, and five miles was with a Leslie DVD...

exercise.png

It was a beautiful day!

Chris

@ Chris - Dang Chris! You kicked tail and took names! Way to go. Hey, Can I borrow 77 of those miles that your over? I'm about that much short. OK, I won't need quite that much. I'll get in some skiing today so I need about 70. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I got the coolest gift for Christmas! The Mio Alpha heart rate monitor. No chest strap!! Unlike most monitors with no chest strap, it will do continuous monitoring. You don't have to reach over and touch sensors on the watch like most strapless monitors. It's Bluetooth 4.0 (Smart Bluetooth). It shines a light through the skin on your wrist and a receptor reads the return and measures your pulses. It has a motion sensor to take the bouncing out when you are running, riding, hiking or doing something that shakes your wrist. I've been using it the last couple of times and the HR was almost identical to my Polar H7! Tre Bien! Que Maravilhosa!! E Botimo! I love this thing. If I forget to put it on, I don't have to undress to get it on and since it doesn't rely on electrical signals, I don't have to moisten sensors or work up a sweat before it works. :-) You just put it on your wrist, tell it to find your pulse, and then go. Just thought I would pass that on. :-) Besides, I look good going strapless. :-)

@sufferlandria: Wow! never heard of it before, but now it's at the top of my list for when I'll finally reach my goal weight. Thanks for the tip! I'm sure I won't be the only one that will Google it! :wink:

That sounds super cool!

Edit: Just read a Runner's World article that gave it mixed reviews. Negatives were that there isn't GPS and that you can't connect it to your PC (so you can't download the data or upload any software updates), but the review was from this summer and technology can change a lot in a few months.

It's just a heart rate monitor (and a watch). The reviewer in Runners world was comparing apples to oranges. It's not a running computer, just a heart rate monitor like a Polar H7 or a Wahoo Fitness heart monitor. They don't keep the data. They Bluetooth link to your computer or your phone and rely on your app to record and interpret the data. What it does is take your heart rate in an incredibly easy method and transmit it to your bike computer or your smart phone. I saw the article and it is comparing it to running computers with HRMs but that's not what it is. It is just a HRM that uses a novel approach to getting your heart rate and then uses Bluetooth to get those numbers to your exercise computer or smart phone app. Check out the review by DCRainmaker. He buys a lot of equipment and since it wasn't solicited equipment, he can do some pretty unbiased reviews. This was one of the products and he gave it pretty good reviews. I know in the few times I've used it, I've been really impressed. :-)

OK, I stand corrected. Once you turn on the stop watch part of the Mio Alpha, it will track your time, average heart rate and max and max heart rate. You can also set alarms for the top and bottom end of the zones you want to run in. So it can be used like a running computer without your smartphone. Found that out when I held down the button while I was biking. :bigsmile:
  • 0nehappyheart
    Options
    12.30 4.53

exercise.png
  • Lovemyalex
    Lovemyalex Posts: 3,851 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Dave for all you do...and thank you to all those that help in the updates...you guys are simply the BEST...
    Thank you for always staying so positive...it really does mean a lot...:flowerforyou:
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I just want to say a THANKS to everyone in this group! You guys ROCK and this challenge every month keeps me motivated!

I had two goals for myself this year. The first was inspired by this challenge and my goal was to do 2,013 miles in 2013. I am very happy to report, I actually beat that goal in November!

My mile totals are:
    running/walking - 842.15 miles
    biking 1,312.28 - miles
    elliptical 24.24 - miles
    stairmaster - 2.04 miles (didn't really like that one!)

exercise.png

My second goal was to do an "official" race every month. For the year, I did:

Half Marathon - 1
    10k - 3
    4 Milers - 2
    5k - 9
    Warrior Dash - 1

I don't think I will do quite as many races this year, but I will go back to some of my favorites from last year like the one that had French toast sticks AND breakfast burritos at the finish!

So thanks to all of you for keeping my @ss moving all year! :drinker:

Happy New Year to all of you!
  • JTH11706
    JTH11706 Posts: 2,947 Member
    Options
    3 miles yesterday at the beach! 101 out of 100. Happy new year!
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,341 Member
    Options
    31 Dec 10.3 miles

MTD 155.69 miles

OH no! So close _ I think a cycle ride is about to happen!! Be back in a wee while!!

exercise.png
    Love this attitude!!! :heart:

Dave
  • darkrider42
    Options

exercise.png
    Cool, thanks, I'm in! :) There sure are a lot of "Karens" so far...50%...we're outnumbered! lol :bigsmile:

Dave
  • KariD1114
    KariD1114 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    12/30 = 2.69

exercise.png
  • darkrider42
    Options

exercise.png

Sweet - I'm in. I wasn't getting that it was going to be in Fitbit (not MFP). Thanks for setting that up!
    Same here, but was hoping that's what he meant. :)
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Added 5.2 miles - one last night and rest today.

Grand total 83.5 miles I have amazed myself. Last December I logged 34.5 miles.

Bought new walking shoes today so I am in for 65 miles again next month and lets see what happens.
    Thanks everyone for organising this challenge. Better look at the fitbit thing too

Also since I moved house in the summer I am changing my name for surreyhills to sussexbythesea! sorry for any confusion!
  • darkrider42
    Options
    =======================
    Spreadsheet updated to here.

To view (but not edit) the
    spreadsheet, copy the following
    address into your browser:

http://www.tinyurl.com/mgtpplu
    =======================

Also now boarding the GOAL train is......LEANZ, ITSFRUITCAKE, SUGAH11 and JTH11706!!! :drinker::drinker::drinker:

ITSFRUITCAKE - Love the funky new shoes...very colorful! :) And you're making great progress.

SUFFERLANDRIAN - That is still an excellent month, Dean, and one to be proud of!

LISAH8969 - What a great year you had! And congrats on making both of those goals! Very cool. And I'm not a huge fan of the Stairmaster either! LOL

SURREYHILLS/SUSSEXBYTHESEA - What a huge improvement over last year! Fantastic! And I was wondering who the heck that new person was! :laugh: No worries....I got it updated on the spreadsheet already too. :)

Way to go everyone!! Whether or not you've made your goal, are close or still have a ways to go...you've won just by keeping moving. And way to finish the year strong. I will post some sort of a recap once the month is finished and results seem to be all in. As wildly successful as 2013 has been, I am excited by all of the possibilities that lie in store for 2014. Here's to making it a great year! :drinker:
    2u7ubmq.jpg

Dave
  • Beckyann1971
    Options
    I got in 4.5 miles today. I didn't reach my goal, but I got further than I thought I would as the month had progressed, Plus a half mile more than last month, so I feel good about it!

exercise.png
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Will still push for the usual 1000 miles, but have some severe weather on its way over

01-12: 91.06 miles
    02-12: 50.33 miles
    03-12: 50.18 miles
    04-12: 50.33 miles
    05-12: 51.44 miles
    06-12: 51.41 miles
    07-12: No ride - still too stiff after fall
    08-12: 21.01 miles
    09-12: 53.08 miles
    10-12: 45.34 miles
    11-12: 53.14 miles
    12-12: 51.23 miles