Mad March workout check in thread

Options

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    DL - epic fail! I was meant to do 80kg (176lb) and I admit I wasn't feeling confident. I was really chugged when I managed 70kg (just over my body weight) and by the skin of my teeth I'd managed 75kg last time. So I psyched myself up and..... Couldn't even lift it off the floor!! Haha. Tried again and managed to get it up once. And I don't think it looked pretty. So I recorded my 1x1 intended app, then de loaded to try again at 75kg and only managed 2!! Aargh!

I'll try 75kg next time!

I wouldn't deload it till you have failed 80kg 3x. You got 75kg 5x5 so work on the 80kg another 2 times and see how it goes :smile:
    Well 75kg 1x5 but yeah true. I'll try again next time. Maybe it won't be glued to the floor next time?!

yeah sorry, been a long time since I did SL :tongue:
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, happy Thursday, is it Friday yet?? DST is kicking in for me now, holy crap am I ever tired this morning.

I did deadlifts last night, my hardest week on 5/3/1.

Warmup Sets:
    5 x 80 pounds
    5 x 95 pounds
    3 x 115 pounds

Working Sets:
    5 x 145 pounds
    3 x 165 pounds
    1 x 185 pounds-I got the 5, a new PR at that weight for me!

Assistance Work:
    Good mornings-3 x 12 @ 65 pounds
    Hanging Leg Raise-3 x 12 @ bodyweight

I usually do DL's on Tuesday, but I just didn't feel like going, so I went yesterday instead. I'm in a crunch now to get my bench and squat days done by Friday, I have family coming in this weekend (YAY!) and will have no time to do weights on the weekend.

@Stef, yes! I psych myself out with super heavy weights for sure, my heavy week is always the toughest mentally for me. I'm always ecstatic afterwards if I manage to complete my reps though, so it's balancing out so far :)

@wolfsbane, I completely agree with jstout, I had a similar situation. I transitioned from a traditional shoe to a minimalist one to barefoot ones (I wear the 5 finger toe shoes) over 2 years, and although they aren't for everyone, they definitely agree with me as well.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Thanks, jstout and rugbyplayer. I'll check into those. It makes sense since being barefoot would force your body into aligment, right?
  • hnsaunde
    Options
    Thanks, jstout and rugbyplayer. I'll check into those. It makes sense since being barefoot would force your body into aligment, right?

That's been my experience, definitely. When I was a child, I used to pronate to the point where I would put holes on the bottom of the inside edge of my shoes, and the outside edge would barely be touched. My parents and doctor came within months of putting me in leg/ankle braces when I was around 12, but I managed to correct it on my own by concentrating on walking without my ankles leaned in. I REALLY didn't want to be forced into leg braces as a teenager.

I ended up with moderate pronation as an adult, and running barefoot forced me concentrate on not leaning my ankles in when I ran, similar to how I had to concentrate on walking without my ankles turned in as a child. It was a pain (literally) to correct that but I have a completely neutral running stride now.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I was told I had a low arch at one point and I know I wear down my outer heel and big toe area first. I've seen that reduce with the barefoot shoes. I don't know if it has bettered my alignment, but it has allowed me to put my stride to more efficient use. I think pounding on my heels while running was the issue more than the pronating for me. I've definitely strengthened my foot muscles, ankles, and calves being in barefoot shoes.

Do your research on them. I made the mistake of trying to run 3 miles right off in them and couldn't walk for a week because my calves were so tight. Most recommend wearing them for an hour or so at a time. I also like the step down that Rugbyplayer took with the minimalist first then barefoot. It gives you that step down in heel to toe drop. It takes time to adjust to the shoes.
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Been a busy week, got my workouts in!

Sun- Workout B
    Squat-5x65
    OHP 5x45
    dead-1x95

Tues Workout A
    Squat-5x75(couldn't find 2.5 weights so had to jump)
    Bench 5x55
    Row-5x65

today-workout b
    Squat-5x80
    OHP-5x50
    Dead-1x105
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!

I've disappeared whilst my show is on/ttraining for half marathon, which are my focus until end of March.

but this is just a HOLY WOW realisation how much stronger my legs got after just 5 weeks of squats, and only ever reaching 30lb here! I'm not a great runner, but I ran 16km 2 weeks ago, and 19km 2 days ago, and after both runs, my legs were fine. No soreness, no aches, no tightness. 3km from the finish my husband who is naturally fitter and stronger than me (grrr) had to walk because of his legs and I was fine.

So, for the next fortnight I'm going to be squatting in between running, no other lifts, and try and keep those thigh muscles good and strong for the half marathon and then I'll continue with 5x5. I cant see anything visually but that moment was amazing!

This is great to hear and congrats!! I'm looking forward to my third week next week and look forward to my thighs getting stronger.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Wolf I hope you figure out the knee thing. It is really tedious to have pain that interferes with what you want to do.

Fittree, Holy Crap!! Now I am worried! I haven't been around here in a while so I'm not up on what everyone is lifting. Warming up with my weight is truly impressive!

To everyone who commented about the barefoot shoes thank you! I have been interested in them for a long time. Maybe I will get some of those for my birthday!
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Just popping on barefoot shoes: I have Merrell Barefoot Run Vibrams which work fantastically for me. They're not the cool "toe fingers" type, but are like the step between "real" shoes and barefoot shoes. :happy:
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

When you feel everything you quickly adjust to how you should run this vid shows it quite well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9itkEkcQ8WM
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Last nights workout

Work out A

Squats
    1x5xjust bar
    1x5x65
    1x8x75
    3x8x95

Bench press
    1x5xbar only
    1x5x55
    5x5x65

Row
    1x5xbar only
    1x5x65
    5x5x75

Front squats
    3x8x30

:smile:

Just wanted to add that having a place to post helps me to make my workouts. Thanks.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Fuark! I'm going away for the whole weekend so had the choice between mixing deadlifts and OHP together or delaying my workouts to a point where my schedule and week away deload wouldn't work. So...

OHP
    55x5
    60x3
    65x10
    HUGE PR here! Considering I only got 8 last week =D And I had it in me to grind another rep out but I kept it in the tank. Thankfully

BBB sets 55x10, 55x7 then dropped down to 50x3x10 because I was starting to wear out quite a lot already

Deadlift
    145x5
    160x3
    180x10 (w/ straps)
    Again, rep PR here. Calculator I'm using wanted 12, but it's HIGHLY optimistic in the higher rep ranges sooo. 10 is good. 10 is a PR. I'll take 10 *nod nod* Especially since 115 during my warmup already felt heavy.

BBB sets 145x5x10 sumo stance. Flipped grips, Had to use straps. I have a real hard time locking out with mixed grip doing sumo. The bar wobbles a lot, too. Oh and I tacked on sets of dip bar knee raises (12-15 reps) after each set here

Didn't realize my forearms would be this shot and the OHP used up grip strength that much. (I power clean the bar up, should've thought about that)

No time for accessory work. I'm burned. Wish I could go back to bed now xD Picking up my new jump rope tonight AND I got my fractionals last night! Funny story: the set is 5lbs total (2x1, 2x3/4, 2x1/2 and 2x1/4 lbs), but feels a LOT heavier than a 5lbs plate. lol. Makes my gym bag heaveh. Gonna be using them starting next week :) Also going to run the *kitten* BBB template instead (5 sets of 10 Bench on OHP day, squats on deadlift day. Etc.. Maybe I'll be a bit less sore.
  • KaterinaTerese
    Options
    Do you ever walk away from a workout and just feel like maybe you shouldn't have even gone to the gym...

Squats:
    75 x 5
    85 x 5
    100 x 5
    120 x 5
    145 x 4 --?? failed my form, had a real struggle just to re-rack the bar.

Row:
    45 x 5
    55 x 5
    60, 3 x 5

BP:
    55, 5 x 5

Walked on the treadmill until my sister was done with her workout.
  • KaterinaTerese
    Options
    Calculator I'm using wanted 12, but it's HIGHLY optimistic in the higher rep ranges sooo. 10 is good. 10 is a PR. I'll take 10 *nod nod* Especially since 115 during my warmup already felt heavy.

Yay for 10! Listening to your body's signals = wisdom
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    A very good but not awesome workout last night:

All the usual warmups, dynamic stretches, foam rolling and warm up sets. Work weights as follows:

Squat:
    150x5x5
    I was going to stay at 145, but my warm up sets felt great so I went ahead and added. These were EASY. Funny how different one workout can be from another.
    I like a very low bar position. One of the trainers at the gym that I've been chatting with remarked on it. It's working for me now, but I wonder if it'll pose challenges as I add MOAR WEIGHT? I've looked at Starting Strength again and will be fidlling with bar position on future workouts.

OHP
    60 with 3 good sets, then a 4, then back to 5
    Who posted that their breathing is crucial to success here? I totally agree.

Dead
    Not an awesome night - I think I lost my mojo by doing warm ups then heading the bathroom prior to work weight (heh). When I got back they'd already started to shut the place down for the evening, so radio off etc... The change in vibe really threw me off.

So: 155x2 then 145x3 as consolation

Positives about this workout - the squats were super duper easy for me and my rest times between sets were pretty brief. Since my body is cool with squats, I'm going to chill on pushing the DL too hard, I'm guessing some improvement on this is just around the corner...
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Do you ever walk away from a workout and just feel like maybe you shouldn't have even gone to the gym...

Yeah, it's happened before. Usually on days where I get crap sleep. Sometimes you just wanna get in, get out and get it over with. And then you end up hitting your head on the bar, punching yourself in the face or stumbling on the edge of a bar and getting random stupid bruises. Or is that just me? lol.
  • KaterinaTerese
    Options

Yeah, it's happened before. Usually on days where I get crap sleep. Sometimes you just wanna get in, get out and get it over with. And then you end up hitting your head on the bar, punching yourself in the face or stumbling on the edge of a bar and getting random stupid bruises. Or is that just me? lol.
    NO. I hit my head on the bar when I stooped to grab my water bottle! WE'RE IN THE SAME BOAT!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Just popping on barefoot shoes: I have Merrell Barefoot Run Vibrams which work fantastically for me. They're not the cool "toe fingers" type, but are like the step between "real" shoes and barefoot shoes. :happy:

I wear Merrell Barefoot shoes (I have a pair pace gloves for the gym and a pair of their casual Jungle gloves). I only wear other shoes when I have to.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Yeserday was my first alone workout( last was with a trainer guy) , and it felt good, but I think I am doing the barbell row wrong, becaue my lower back ached a few yrs after the workout.
    Also the squat was hard, and my heals wanted to raise up and it just felt off. I have to watch some more youtube video about the forms before I injure myself.

squat :
    1x5 45 lb
    5x5 50 lb

Bench
    1x5 45 lb
    5x5 50 lb

Barbel row
    1x5 45 lb
    5x5 65 lb

I also did some assisted pullups, because I really want to develop the sregth to do pull-ups.
    I decided I am going to try the same 5x5 format on my pullups as in the srtronglift moves: decreasing assistance by 5 lb each time
    1x5 115 lb , 5x5 110 lb.
  • hnsaunde
    Options

NO. I hit my head on the bar when I stooped to grab my water bottle! WE'RE IN THE SAME BOAT!

Yep, I'm right there with you. I always do something stupid on no sleep days lol. Like dropping the bar on my nose during an OHP.