Mad March workout check in thread

Options

Replies

• rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Walked in gym feeling great, walked out feeling blahhhh. Did good but energy didn't last.

Squats 5x55 will stay here next time. Felt myself leaning forward
    Overhead 5x50 form has improved
    Deadlift 1x80 one set never seems like enough but staying to plan

Still adding some accessories
    Hanging leg raises
    leg press

That was all. Couldn't add any cardio except a few walking laps to cool down.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Got A day in today, had to take yesterday off due to pinching a nerve in my shoulder/neck on Wednesday. May look at going in for cardio tomorrow.

Squats: @135 decided to deload the 5 lbs to work on keeping the weight more upright. I probably could have done the increase to 145, but I'm going to work on form a bit more first.
    Bench: @ 105
    Row: @ 110 - I think I've been swinging my arms out on these a bit so I tried to focus on keeping the elbows moving more towards the sides. Will probably repeat this next week.

Then added a circuit/metabolic finisher/HIIT, what ever you want to call it, onto the end and incorporated the punching bag into the mix.

Did 3 rounds of 3 min where I switched between bag work and plyo/core work. Rested 1 min between each round.

I'm on travel for work next week, but the hotel I'm staying at actually has a power rack so I won't get off track with lifting next week. I'll have to miss two nights of boxing which makes me sad.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Well workout A for me today...as I said in the chat thread not a good day...just feeling the blahs...emotionally, mentally and physically...

Not sick just..ick.

Was hoping for a workout with hubby didn't happen, he says he wants to workout with me but it doesn't feel like it...he's done 4 workouts so far...none with me..didn't even tell me he was starting I just came home one night and my workout room was a mess...:explode: so today we just had a bit of a tiff instead of working out together...jeez....and I swear I said nothing about the weight on the bar....I wouldn't do that to him yet...I would wait till he was really into it..and then poke the bear.:bigsmile:

But I am getting new plates this weekend...at least 2@25 and 2@2.5...maybe another 5 since I have 5 of those instead of 6 and whatever else I can get for 100$ (finally got my raise at work...gonna celebrate)

Anyway I talked myself into upping my squat weight so today it's at 180

180 @ 1x4 (didn't try fifth not sure why not, didn't wanna I guess), 2x5,1x3, 1x1 so yah definately here next time too...epic fail on last set...of course no help here today so had to unload the bar between sets to get it back up in the rack...

Bench moving onto 120 today and I found a setup since I don't have a spotter, hope it works out....:tongue:

120 @ 2x5

1x4 (might have been able to do 5th but didn't want to test it without a spotter...rolling the bar hurts, and my setup just wasn't gonna work...squat racks bars are to high to keep my bench in there...:sad: ) even backwards the rack is too far away....

1x4 knew I wasn't getting the 5th one up...:bigsmile: almost didn't get 4th..then banged my new found hip bone on the bar...jeez:sad:

1x3(might have gotten 4th but ...yah see above)

Please none the less with that lift.

Rows @ 118.5 again...such epic failures on these...if I fail again tonight deload time...down to 106.5 (or 105 if I can't get that weight)...

Rows....5x5...:noway:
    Not sure how I pulled those out today...of all days..maybe the bar I used...sounds odd I know but there is no question on that bar where my grip should be...my other one is a bit iffy as it's been taped so I can't see the grip area...hmmm...hey I take it as a win no mater how I got it.

@rdkstar we all have those days..it's wednesdays for me usually not sure why...and today I forced myself into the lifts and looked how it turned out...I didn't fail on rows so for me that's a win..and makes me exceptionally happy...

Nice knowing it's the weight I lift not the weight on the scale that dictates my moods now...:drinker:

Can't comment on running shoes...I don't do running...used to (ex military too) and even after that but just can't bring myself to do it now...hate running outside I have a hard time keeping my pace alone...okay in a treadmill for a mile at a time...and funny thing is DH has competed in tonnes of triathalons...he doesn't run now either. I always felt good after I ran...on a treadmill...get my music going, beat my last time...managed just under a 5min mile when I had quit smoking...wonder if I will ever see that again.

Well have a good weekend ladies with any luck I will have a workout partner on Monday...without the harsh words...
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Hooray Friday. I'm going to see my awesome mom this weekend and I'm so excited!

Back squat
    45x5, 95x5, 125x5, 160x5, 190x5, 225x5, 255x3 190x8

Bench
    45x5, 55 2x5, 75 2x5, 95 2x5, 110 2x5, 125x3 Interspersed with band pullups 5x3. I got a heavier band, but I can only stretch it enough to get my knee in so it's still hard for me to do them. :laugh: I tweaked my shoulder/peck on my last 125 bench so I didn't do my drop set. I tried 1 at 95 and it sorta hurt so I figured I should stop there.

Rows:
    45x5, 65x5, 75x5, 95x5, 110x3, 95x8 No pain with these, and I wanted to do more sets, but the Y closes at 8 on Fridays :huh: and it was getting close to close.

Also my knee hurts again :sad: :sad: I don't know why it keeps happening. I did hurt it really badly about a year ago, and then again a few weeks ago, but since the few weeks thing it was fine then hurt then fine then hurt, and it's not like immediately while doing squatting. Or even after squatting for that matter. It will just come on. Sometimes on a rest day. I thought it was running related, but maybe not. Stupid knees.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    opted to just stick with my plan. OHP day ( I forget if that's A or B )
    I knew I would be a bit weak since I am still kind of sick but was surprised where that weakness showed.

Squats- 100lbs 5 x 5,5,5,4,5 felt pretty good. well all but one, lost focus a bit i think.

OHP -60lbs 5 x 4,4,5,4,5 yep ugly guess I'm going back to 55lb.

Dead-lifts- 130lbs 5 Killed it YAY body-weight!!! ( well over by 3lbs actually LOL )

I don't know if body-weight is a big deal for dead-lifts ( as my oh so supportive husband pointed out I do pushups all the time ) but it feels awesome to know I can pick up a passed out friend and carry her a around if need be LOL with my girls the need may indeed arise.

I also did 3x5 pull ups and 3x5 chin ups. knee work as usual and abs. Our upstairs trainers room was empty. I had to take advantage of it! with the theater lighting on.. that room is such an amazing room to have all to yourself. I was in heaven!!!
  • westendcurls
    Options
    also I've been counting a failed rep as anything with crappy form. is that right or is it only when you fail to move the bar?
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    also I've been counting a failed rep as anything with crappy form. is that right or is it only when you fail to move the bar?

If it goes up but you have to grind it out, it still counts as a rep. However you might wanna stick to that weight for the next workout if it happens on more than 1 set. Form is definitely important, but not the end of everything :)
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    have to miss two nights of boxing which makes me sad.

Fitnessblender has some pretty good kickboxing videos. Won't be exactly the same, but is worth a try.
    I don't know if body-weight is a big deal for dead-lifts ( as my oh so supportive husband pointed out I do pushups all the time ) but it feels awesome to know I can pick up a passed out friend and carry her a around if need be LOL with my girls the need may indeed arise.

hahaha I never really thought of all the awesome things I will be able to do once I can lift more! Now my stinking issue is that my grip is so weak I can't even take the springclamp off the bar :embarassed: ..... my husband has to do it for me.... shame eh

If it goes up but you have to grind it out, it still counts as a rep. However you might wanna stick to that weight for the next workout if it happens on more than 1 set. Form is definitely important, but not the end of everything :)

Well hot damn..... so does that mean if I am doing a row and the bar doesn't touch my chest, but it comes up pretty close, is that a complete set?
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thursday- Took a rest. Was totally just feeling TIRED. My lift felt better Friday, so maybe the rest helped. Thinking of doing just 3 days lifting and two days cardio/hiit now.

Friday- Workout B

Squat Warm Up
    2x5 45lbs
    1x3 70lbs
    1x2 90lbs

Working Set
    5x5 105 :glasses: Felt good

OHP Warm up
    2x5 bar (15lbs)
    1x5 30lbs

Working Set
    5x5 45lbs
    :embarassed: Feels like a low number but whatever. We all start somewhere.

Deadlifts warm up
    5x5 45lbs
    1x3 70lbs
    1x2 100lbs

Working Set
    1 - 130lbs
    I felt really good on my warm ups. I felt BOSS on my ONE actual set but again just couldnt move that damn bar afterwards. I think the app moves me up by 15lbs each time and I just dont feel that I am capable of doing that. I think in the future I will only go up by 5 lbs.

I took some videos of my squats and OHP to get some feedback... I will try to post them asap.

Happy weekend :drinker:
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Back squat
    45x5, 95x5, 125x5, 160x5, 190x5, 225x5, 255x3 190x8

Oh, goodNESS your work weights are impressive. How long did it take you to get to this point? I'm currently squatting 150 and am working through goal setting on this right now -- my goal is to get my second 45# plate on that bar, time frame TBD. Just started in December.

Seriously: impressive!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Agreed, awesome numbers tree!

Posting A for yesterday as after the workout, I went out for a burger and milkshake (wish it had been deadlift just for those!) and to see the new 300.

Squats: 3x5 125lbs
    Bench: 65.5lbs 3x5 - yay new fractionals!
    Rows: 65.5lbs 3x5

Then some good stretching and a few assisted pull ups to see how the liquid grip works for that (rubs off on the rubber handles)

Now I have to psych myself up for my 5 miler today! (10k training-4 weeks till the race)
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I just finishes my first week of stronglifts and of course had to mix up the first workout, so I did bench press instead of OHP, so I had to get myself back on track today. Which was the first time OHP for me since I didn't want to mess up the second workout as well. Hm, yeah, nice start :huh:

Anyway my numbers from today:

Squats: 27,5 kg (60lbs)
    OHP: 20 kg (45lbs)
    Deadlifts: 47,5 kg (104lbs)

I managed to do all the sets. Although I must confess that I didn't really do warmup sets with the OHP, because I already started with only the bar. I didn't know how I should have gotten lower...

I truly love the lifting and I am so happy to be able to be motivate about sports! I used to do more when I was younger, but I was never down for cardio stuff. Going to the gym was very demotivating, there was not really any progress and I just didn't feel good about it. Now I cannot wait for tuesday.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Ladies, what do you do when you have extreme sore legs?
    I just started the program and I barely can walk due to my Thursday workout. I was sore yesterday and I massage it, and I did a 30 minute stretching DVD to make it go away. Well it became even worse overnight. I barely can walk. I have no idea how to do my workout today. Every single step of walking is painful.
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, after my first workout my legs hurt a lot, especially when I had to get up or walk stairs. Walking stairs, they were also super wobbly. But I went to the next training anyway and strangely it was totally doable. But afterwards, damn, I am already scared of tomorrow :-D

Sorry, I don't have to offer a solution...
  • westendcurls
    Options
    Ladies, what do you do when you have extreme sore legs?
    I just started the program and I barely can walk due to my Thursday workout. I was sore yesterday and I massage it, and I did a 30 minute stretching DVD to make it go away. Well it became even worse overnight. I barely can walk. I have no idea how to do my workout today. Every single step of walking is painful.

I bought a form roller off amazon. so I roll it out. they are not to bad about 35$ for a small one.
    Sometimes I forget to use it LOL. I few days ago I was telling someone I had big knots in my quads they said if I was at a gym to find some foam rollers. I felt like such a dork. a yeah there's one 5 feet from my computer I could be using instead of *****ing LOL Its still kind of new to me but they do help! a lot!
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I wasn't "supposed" to be at the gym this morning, but alas -- today needed normalcy, and training on Saturdays is normal! I didn't increase any of the weight from this week, so it was really just fun and games. :wink:

Squats:
    75x5
    95x5
    115x5
    130x5
    145x3

OHP: (yups, still at empty bar)
    3x5
    + 1 more rep!
    Breathing today was good, I think. I have to keep reminding myself that 3.5 months ago, I could barely lift the 10lbs dumbbells overhead.

Deadlift:
    115x5
    135x5
    145x3

For soreness my first few weeks, I ate lots/drank lots of water, much sleep and many hot baths. It'll go away on its own, and in the meantime, you can just feel like a badass every time it hurts. Sorry I don't have better advice! :flowerforyou:
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Nice workout yesterday afternoon! All dynamic stretching, foam rolling and warm up sets apply to work weight as follows:

Squat - 155x5x5
    PR, I was going to stay at 150 for one more workout but everything was feeling good so I went ahead and added. Little bit of form struggle with the last reps on sets 3 and 4 (knees wanting to cave a bit) but all in all these felt nice.

Bench - 90x5x5
    PR, was expecting to scratch some reps but did not! SO looking forward to putting on the 25# plates next time! What a thrill to breeze through this!

Row - 65x3x8
    Obviously I haven't committed to these like I need to. My excuse tonight was that the gym was getting ready to close and getting in some easy sets was better than none.

Misc accessory work done in a hurry - shrugs, lying tricep extension
    Skipped - biceps, cable crunch, and back ext. due to time

Still having a ball doing this. Woot!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Didn't really want to leave the house because of the cold rain, but did anyways since work limits my gym time again this week. Also, my online class is picking back up after spring break and I'm in the middle of a job search...

Anywaysss, B today
    Squats 3x5 125lbs. felt pretty good, almost went for the full 5x5 but just didn't.
    OHP: 55.5 5x5 woo micoloading!
    Deadlifts: 1. That's right, I got it off the floor ONCE. (165#). I got it off the rack where I loaded the bar and onto the ground, tried to get it back off the ground and failed, then tried again and got it up once with poor form, then tried a last time and couldn't move the damn thing. So I deloaded to 135 just so I could do SOMETHING and then didn't do anything else because I was mad about my first deadlift fail (since starting in August). :grumble:
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    2nd workout since taking a 2 week break from the gym in Belize.

Squat - 5x5 145 with one warmup set each of 45/75/95/135 (this is the lazy one-plate method of warming up) These are starting to feel for-real for me. Struggled a bit staying off my toes and keeping my knees out. Will probably stay here for a couple more workouts though it wasn't so bad. Excited to squat an even 150!

OHP - 5x5 70lb. I think this is my favorite lift. I don't think I could do one pound more though. I can see why people use fractionals for these. I really can't see how I could do 75 pounds next time. But I'll try! Should I be warming up more with these? Usually I just do one warm-up set. I think I'm afraid to spend my strength or something.

Deadlift 1x5 165. I usually do these at home because I am nervous about dropping weights at my gym. Surprise surprise its easier when you're warmed up from the other exercises. I decided to do warmup sets with the DL because I am so not-confident about my form. Thats been helping. Practice, practice, practice.

I am finding that I don't have a lot of time to do accessory lifts now that my SL workout is hard and I need at least 2 min recovery in between sets. Thats bumming me out.

Ran 4 miles yesterday. My easy runs are feeling *easy*, pain-free and strong, and I am sure its because of SL. I am a very heavy runner and have struggled with joint and hip pain for the last couple years. Amazing what some lifting and a little more weightloss can do.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Last week was a light lifting week for me so excited to hit it hard and get back on schedule

Leg Day!

FRONT SQUAT
    Warm Up:
    45x5, 65x3, 75x1

Working Sets:
    80x5, 80x5, 80x5 - Easy-peasy. Deloaded these to work on form and they're coming along nicely.

1st set, keeping the elbows pointed forward & "mostly" up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcqJbAlyVV8&list=UUwBrjmF0GnyG4e4aF0O7VNQ

OVERHEAD LUNGES W/STUBBY AXLE BARBELL
    Working Sets 42.5x60 seconds x3

Upper back is super tight today, but was able to bang out all 3 sets pretty easily

GHD GLUTE HAM RAISES
    Working Sets: 9, 8, 7 - Much better form on these. I still don't feel it much in my Hamstrings which is weird. I think I might need a little bit more extension @ the top.

I think this was the second set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8zhzDExpB4

BARBELL STEP UPS
    Working Sets: 90x90 seconds x3

BARBELL CALF RAISES
    Working Sets: 140x60 seconds x3

DONKEY CALF RAISES W/DIP BELT
    Working Sets: 75x45 seconds x3

Workout Analysis - Strong workout for not having worked Legs in over a week. Decided in addition to my weekly Legs workout that I'm going to start adding a High Rep Squat day to my week, just to do something different.