jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I just had the twerking session to rival a strippers. :laugh:

twerk_it_oc-11406.gif
  • CoadyMarie
    CoadyMarie Posts: 165
    Options
    Newbie post!

I took a weight training class a few years ago at my uni gym, but was never really able to stick with it until now. I've been working out at home since January/February, first with cardio videos, then incorporating strength videos from Fitness Blender starting in March. I've been dying to get into heavy lifting, and finally sourced a squat rack and barbell on kijiji this week. I'm pretty excited to get strong!

I started the program with dumbbells last week, and started with my new barbell yesterday. The bench and row are definitely easier with the bar, but the squat is going to take some getting used to.

Squat: 5x5 @ 50
    Bench: 5x5 @ 50
    Row: 5x5 @ 50
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Marie! Nice training :-)

@krok you really did great on your pushups, respect!

@jstout I see you like the strong curves. I reread some parts of the book again. Maybe I will do this program eventually it seems like a nice follow up to SL

@wolfsbayne great numbers!

@randomtai congrats on the running!

@suremeansyes haha, that's great. I also started receiving the nod.. Today it was pretty full at the gym and I was the only woman between about 15+ guys..

@dldoddy nothing to be ashamed of, you lift! That alone is great! You will increase faster than you think

@rugby I love your profile pic! :-)

@fittreelol those numbers, damn!

@liza also great numbers!

@katarina hmpf! Why did you go in te bigger deficit again?

@Redhead wow, great! I have about the same schedule and sometimes it's just like:"damn, leave me all o
    alone. "

I had a pretty good day today.

Squats

Tried with 55kg (121 lbs) but after two sets I went back to 52,5kg (115 lbs), it was doable but felt too much, the lower weight was super

OHP

25kg (55 lbs) and then I did one set with 27,5kg (60 lbs), just to see if I could - I could, but one set was enough

Deadlift

65kg (143 lbs)

Then I did hip thrusts

10x20kg (45 lbs)
    10x30kg (66 lbs)
    20x40kg (88 lbs)

And finished with barbell complexes

5x beginner complex
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the dark side, CoadyMary! You'll be happy you joined, we have cookies! (sometimes. When it fits in our macros :P)

Was a little disappointed to go back through the program for this phase and notice there are NO heavy deadlifts whatsoever. I was looking forward to testing my strength on those but it won't be for another 4 weeks apparently!

Today was:

Clean Pulls 4x5. Working sets went 2 @ 85 and 2 @ 95. I was being a little conservative and it's also a bit of a groove to get into. Great accessory to the cleans, but it was hard to not snap 'em elbows forward to catch the bar. Probably could've pushed the pace a bit here, too. I noted that I was being really slow these past couple workouts. Something to pay attention to!

OHP 4x5 @ 65
    superset with submax pull-ups of different variations. I used the gravitron and will for at least this phase because I can't lockout at the top with the bands :/

Then on to 12 mins AMRAP of this nifty complex, all double KB (used 20lbs each)
    - 2 power snatch
    - 4 push press
    - 6 front squats
    - 8 swings
    - mandatory 30-45 seconds rest

Rounds only count if done completely unbroken. Managed 8, probably coulda pushed a bit harder at the beginning.

The sweat dribbling off of me towards the end was unmatched tho! So much so that I couldn't get a good grip on the bar for my hollow hangs and I wasn't going to use liquid grip for just that. I'm gonna get a bar of chalk though, the crossfit section of the gym is okay with that! Also knocked out 11 recline rows at the end. And 15 push-ups.

Then 14/13 so far at home. My shoulders are super sore but somehow the reps are getting easier. It's odd! Haha.

Happy mother's day to all the moms, btw!
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I'm loving my gym, and loving Stronglifts so far. I am 5 workouts in now and I'm waiting for my first failed rep. Still doing 90 seconds rest between sets, but we'll see over these next couple weeks once the weights start creeping up on me. lol

Squats: 2x5 @bar, 1x5 @55, 5x5 @65
    BP: 2x5 @45, 5x5 @55
    Row: 2x5 @65, 5x5 @75

I really got into good form with my rows now that I've done them for the third time. My DL also felt pretty good on Friday. I've been working hard on not rounding the back, because I know it'll be harder to concentrate on when I increase weights.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    And just did a 2 mile run. I'm ready for food. lol
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Workout b today. Normally I do Monday Wednesday Friday but I will be gone for an extra long weekend and I don't want to miss Fridays workout.

Squat 3x5 140 the deload felt really good
    Ohp 3x5 47 lbs figuring out how to increase in smaller increments is the best thing ever. Slow progress is better than no progress.
    DL 1x4 155 I think I could have squeezed out one more but I chickened out

Accessories
    straight leg DL 3x8 105
    Bb glute bridge 3x8 55

And then 4.8 km just because it technically run day. And we are planning to go to red lobster for dinner so a few hundred extra calories helps.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Today's workout was MUCH better than my last one. I really think having extra rest days between my squats helps, so I'm not going to do SL again until Thursday this week. I've also realized that I need at least 3 minutes of rest between bench press sets and I've been taking 3 to 5 between squat sets. I only did 3x5 for bench today because I was running out of time.

Squats 4x5 @ 145lbs & 1x5 @ 150lbs - I was feeling pretty good about these so I made my last set @ 150lbs and I felt stable (yay!!) so I'm going to do 150lbs next time.

Zottman curls 3x10 @ 12lbs - did these during my rests between the last 3 sets of squats (12lbs is too light, should've grabbed the 20lb dumbbells instead).

Bench Press 3x5 @ 85lbs

Split squats 3x8 @ 40lbs - grabbed 2 of the 20lb dumbbells for these and did them during my rests between bench press sets.

1-arm rows 3x5 @ 50lbs - these were very hard; going to stick with this weight for a bit. I've given up on barbell rows for now; will attempt them again later down the road. They're just too awkward for me and I feel like I make no progress with my form even if I do them with an empty bar.

Bent over delt flys 3x8 @ 10lbs

Tri pull downs 1x20 @ 22.5

10 incline pushups - almost forgot to do these so I did them in the locker room using the changing bench :laugh: .
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm a little embarrassed about my low weights but I'm new to SL and a bit of a little weakling but here goes:
    Squat-warm up, bar only. 5x5 @ 55 lbs
    Bench press: warm up, bar only. 5x5 @ 55 lbs
    BB row: warm up, bar only. 2x5 @ 50, 3x5 @ 55, 2x4 @55.

Can't wait to DL on Monday.

:blushing:

You shouldn't be embarrassed everyone starts somewhere. But at least you have started.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    I'm not sure what the deal was today. Squats were fine 170 3x5. Then Bench press.... now, I did 125 last time 5, 5, 5, 4, 4. This time I managed 5, 4, 1, 0, 0. :/ WTH?

My kids wanted to give me stuff so I abandoned the rows.

Then went on a fast 8.5 mile hike. Alone :D
  • katro111
    Options
    I'm not sure what the deal was today. Squats were fine 170 3x5. Then Bench press.... now, I did 125 last time 5, 5, 5, 4, 4. This time I managed 5, 4, 1, 0, 0. :/ WTH?

I had a smiliar fail (at a much lighter weight, though) with bench a couple weeks ago. No idea what caused it, but give it a few more days and go back to it and I bet you'll be fine. :)

Question to all - Is it just me, or does anyone else have issues with squats and the 45lb plates? When I load up the bar with the 45's and 5's, I can never seem to get low enough and my back seems to weaken/tire quickly, but if I load up with 35's, 10's and 5's, I have fantastic form and I feel great. Maybe the size messes with my balance? Weird...
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Week 2 Day 1 done. B,A,B schedule this week.

Squats (warmup sets @45), 5x5 @60
    Overhead Press (warmup @45), 5x5 @50
    Deadlifts (warmup @45) 1x5 @50

It's rainy outside today so afterward I walked a mile on the treadmill just to get some steps in on my step counter.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I had a smiliar fail (at a much lighter weight, though) with bench a couple weeks ago. No idea what caused it, but give it a few more days and go back to it and I bet you'll be fine. :)

Question to all - Is it just me, or does anyone else have issues with squats and the 45lb plates? When I load up the bar with the 45's and 5's, I can never seem to get low enough and my back seems to weaken/tire quickly, but if I load up with 35's, 10's and 5's, I have fantastic form and I feel great. Maybe the size messes with my balance? Weird...

It's also possible that your 45s aren't very well balanced, or that your 35s are actually more like 30s. My gym has some 25 plates that are super light for some reason, so I either try to avoid using those, or at least try not to mix them with the ones that do feel like they actually weight upwards of 20lbs. Some bars also have a different density (and/or weight) and will sit differently on your back, too. Short of weighting your plates, you may wanna try to work on the 45s alone for a workout or two before you progress further.

And yeah, bench press fails will happen. It's really easy to tire out that upper body without really noticing. Or while noticing... Haha xD try again next workoit and if it still fails, check your sleep/diet/other daily activities :)
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Squat 70kg 5x5 I thought it was going to be a nightmare but it actually felt ok. Just some iffy form on the very last reps, so I wonder if I actually did the math right with the plates :laugh: Yesterday's full rest and carb-loading probably helped a lot. I'll be adding weight to my squats only once a week from now on.
    Overhead press 32.5kg 5x5 yay! I only struggled with the very last rep. The accessory work is paying off.
    Deadlift 60kg 1x5 deloaded for form.

Upright barbell row 27.5kg 3x8 ok
    Dumbbell side lateral raise 5kg 3x8 Last time I switched to 3x6 with 6kg dumbbells because 5kg dumbbells are always taken, but today 6kg were taken and I used 5kg... They felt quite easy, and I'm very happy about it.
    Single-arm dumbbell bent-over row 12kg 3x8, hard
    Plank 3x50

Welcome to the new ladies!

@katro111: I don't know, I have never used the bigger plates on my squats yet because I'm a lazy-*kitten* and I prefer adding smaller plates to the warmup plates rather than unracking everything . :laugh:
    Anyway, krok is right (as usual). Unfortunately, not all plates are created equal.
  • katro111
    Options
    Well crap. Why can't all plates be equal?! Lol. I'll just have to use the 45's going forward.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Stand up for plates equality :laugh:
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    @katro111: I don't know, I have never used the bigger plates on my squats yet because I'm a lazy-*kitten* and I prefer adding smaller plates to the warmup plates rather than unracking everything . :laugh:
    Anyway, krok is right (as usual). Unfortunately, not all plates are created equal.

same here :-D I just the 20kg plates ones, just to have the big girl plates on at least one time, but in the end, it´s not worth it. Plus our 20kg plates are way smaller than your 45 lbs plates, yours look way more badass
  • katro111
    Options
    I usually have the 35's on there, too, from warm-ups so it is easier to just load up with smaller plates to get to 50lbs on each side. Plus, I can't see around the 45's to check my form in the mirror.

P.S.
    Iron Woody Fitness has fractional plate sets on sale for $24.99!
    http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/equipment/fractional-plates/olympic-2-in-fractional-plates-seconds.html

Just ordered mine.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Got a great workout in last night. It will be my last one for a week so glad it went well.

It was A day, so:
    squats - 5x5 at 115 lbs. This was the weight that my back started to get sore last time, but I've been making more of a conscious effort to take that deep breath to solidify the core and that seems to be helping so far.
    BP - 5x5 at 95 lbs. After seeing everyone else having trouble with these, and the fact that I barely made my 5x5 at 90 last time, I was prepared for an epic fail. But actually had no problem and was feeling extra strong for some reason!
    Rows - 5x5 at 95 lbs. I think my lats are actually a little sore from these this morning.

Then did about a mile and a half of treadmill intervals.

Figured out one way to shave a little time off the whole workout is to do my extra core work in between sets while I'm resting. Most of the moves don't require much in the way of legs or arms (except for those darn planks), so I find I can do these and not have any trouble getting back to my regular set afterwards. I had been thinking about switching to 3x5 to keep the total time down, but reorganizing the workout this way has helped, so I'll keep sticking to 5x5 for a while longer.

Now off to Puerto Rico for the week for work, it's a tough job but somebody's got to do it. I'll try to do Krok's pushup challenge in my hotel room and some other body weight stuff, but looking forward to a little break to refresh a little bit.

Have an outstanding week everybody, and here's to lots of awesome lifts!!!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Now off to Puerto Rico for the week for work, it's a tough job but somebody's got to do it. I'll try to do Krok's pushup challenge in my hotel room and some other body weight stuff, but looking forward to a little break to refresh a little bit.

Have an outstanding week everybody, and here's to lots of awesome lifts!!!

Sounds like a rough work week! Puerto Rico is beautiful, enjoy!