May workout check-in; May your squats be deep and plentiful

Options

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    ETA: I'm still having trouble unracking the weight when I hit 95 pounds or higher on my bench press. I end up sliding up the bench further to get the leverage I need, and I think that might be affecting my form. Any tips?

Man I get busy for a couple days and the thread is blowing up!

I noticed this though and are you saying you have to slide up toward the head of the bench? If I'm not misunderstanding this you could just start further up the bench to begin with. Before I arch my head, neck and part of my shoulders are hanging off the top of the bench.

Hi Fittree! Yep, that's what I have to do, but I could be doing it wrong, it's highly likely :) Hmm, maybe it's time for a form check video, I haven't done one for bench yet.

I watched Rippetoe's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQutODgl2J4

and he said when you look up your eyeballs should be on the side of the bar closer to the foot of the bench, so that's what I've been trying to do, but it's very possible I've slid too far down the bench to compensate when I'm trying that cue.

Now that I'm not on lunch and I have more time to explain....Here is a video of Alanna Casey. If you start around the 1:33 mark you'll see how she sets up for bench. If you get to where your eyes are a little below the bar and THEN setup even if you're just doing a little arch/tightening shoulder blades you'll end up lower on the bench and have to undo everything when you unrack the bar.

Speaking of bench I forgot to post my bench from Tuesday. 531 "1" week for all my workouts
    Bench
    45x5, 65x5, 85x5, 95x5, 110x3, 125x4 I've done 125 for more reps than this before at a higher weight, so not sure what happened. I was feeling like my setup was off the whole time so maybe that was it. Bench is my worst lift so it doesn't hurt my ego as much when I don't get what I should :laugh:

Dumbbell bench
    30lb dumbbells 5x10

DB Rows
    30lb 3x10

Superset x3
    15# curlx10
    50# Tri rope pulls x10

Then today I had Deadlift/OHP

Deadlift
    45x5, 135x5, 225x5, 245x5, 275x3, 310x8 The last time I repped 310 was in Late November and I got 6 and then thought I might die. I was sore for a week. I actually was feeling really good after 8 except for the lost feeling in my hands. Progress!

OHP
    45x5, 65x5, 75x5, 85x3, 97.5x6

Sumo Deadlift
    135 3x10

Paused Deadlift
    185 3x5

Single leg SLDL
    20# dumbbells 3x5

Assisted pullups
    3x3

Ab wheel
    3x8

Happy weekend everyone.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Squats: 5, 5, 4 @ 145lbs
    Rows: 5, 5 @ 65lbs; 5 @ 70lbs (hard!)
    Bench: 5, 5, 5 @ 65lbs

I've been super depressed about my numbers lately, but today was good. Even though I didn't increase on anything, my squats and BP felt excellent. I will never underestimate the importance of trying different hip widths in the squat; I think I've finally figured out exactly where I'm comfortable, and where my hips have the most control over the movement. So yay for deloading and working on form, I guess!
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    @Suremeansyes YES!!! :tongue: Best GF ever! Looking skinny is a great compliment..then you get the added nice booty comment. Shes a keeper!!!

@Kita328 I agree, she is! ;)
    @sbarella Unfortunately my boobs are smaller now, but that's alright, they were too big to begin with. :p lol
    Same here :P And mine were definitely not too big to begin with... But I'm happy with the overall improvements lol
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    @Suremeansyes YES!!! :tongue: Best GF ever! Looking skinny is a great compliment..then you get the added nice booty comment. Shes a keeper!!!

@Kita328 I agree, she is! ;)
    @sbarella Unfortunately my boobs are smaller now, but that's alright, they were too big to begin with. :p lol
    Same here :P And mine were definitely not too big to begin with... But I'm happy with the overall improvements lol

Psh, I like small boobs! They don't get in the way of... things? Also, e-high-five for the gf giving compliments! It's pretty awesome to be on the receiving (or the giving) end of it, I gotta say ^^

Last week of the first phase of the program. Things be getting serious up in here!

Power snatch emotm
    65x3x2
    75x5x1

Back squat
    145x5
    160x2x3
    175x2x2 (PR CITY!!! all reps here were grinders, but they were clean! WOOP!)
    superset with submax assisted dips & kipping assisted dips, which I think i'm getting stronger at.

The 20, 15, 10 for time of:
    - Pull-ups (with both my black and red bands, these were tough!)
    - Pike presses - kept my feet on the floor today
    - Box jumps @ 20' (landing gave my shin a jolt a few times. It's healing okay but not as fast as I would like xD)

total: 15:50

As has been the case lately with these, I didn,t really feel like sticking around and doing any accessory work. I figure i'll keep that for the deload week. Plus I'm going back tomorrow so didn't want to wear myself out. Now for a nice hot bath and some freelance work because yay, making potential moneys on the weekends?
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    @krokador The smaller my boobs get, the lower I have to bench though. ;) lol

Yesterday's workout was:
    Squats: warmup, then 5x5 @85
    BP: warmup, then 5x5@65
    Row: warmup, then 5x5@85

I've also been starting to do some accessory work now that I've gotten into the routine of doing SL. Yesterday I added in abductor and adductor work, since I had tried squatting heavier with my trainer and my left knee began to cave. He suggested adding in some abductor and adductor sets. He said aim for 3x10 with the last few reps being difficult to manage. It took a couple sets first to find out what weight that was though, lol, so it was more like 4x10 and 5x10 sets. Next time I have a good starting off point though.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I didn't know if I would make it this week, came down with some chest cold/bronchitis kind of thing (think I caught from Brother-In-Law) so I didn't even exercise the past couple of days and I wasn't at my best Wednesday. I worked out so much on those elliptical trainers at the gym Monday I could not even do reverse curls with any real weight Wednsday, but today I did 50 lbs. and I went up in everything except bicep curls (which I need to increase next time as they were way too easy at 70). So, here are my workouts, I didn't strictly go by the book this time since I kind of winged it at the hotel gym so I am going to call them 1, 2 and 3. And yes, I squatted and deadlifted 105 lbs. today.

Workout 1 (Mon)

squats 5 X 5 - 80

deadlifts 5 X 1 - 85

Bench press - 5 x 5 - 75

Triceps Pulldown 5 x 5 - 100

Situps - 100 reps

Workout 2 (Wed.)

squats 5 X 5 - 85

upright row 5 X 5 - 65

bench press 5 x 65

overhand bicep curls 5 x 70

incline flys 5 x 5 - 40

ab crunches - 100 reps

Workout 3 (Sat)

squats 5 X 5 - 105

deadlifts 5 X 1 - 105

overhead press 5 x 5 - 55

reverse 5 x 5 - 50

underhand bicep curls 5 x 5 - 70 (need to increase this next time, too easy now)

flys 5 x 5 - 40

ab crunches (from decline position) 100 reps
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Today was workout A after walking around the zoo for five hours. I thought 3x5 went pretty well.

Squats 3x5 @110
    Bench press 4,5,5 @85 I need to make sure and rest just a bit between my warm up and work set I think.
    Rows 3x5 @80 No problems here.
  • krokador
    Options
    Meow! (Okay, I had to do something to go with the picture of my cat over to the left lol). Today was clean skill work, OHP and pull-ups! (AGAIN, rargh!)

Clean pulls went
    105x5
    115x5
    125x3
    135x3

I still haven't quite found that sweet spot where it's really heavy but not so much that my form breaks down. Ah well.

OHP
    70x5
    75x3x3
    superset with machine assisted pull-ups of diff variations @ -80lbs. I'll be dropping the assist down 10-20lbs after the deload week methinks :)

Then today's chaos session (that's what the program calls them. They're essentially WODs)
    4 rounds of 60s AMRAP/20s rest
    - power recline rows (really explosive concentric)
    - 1 arm KB snatch @ 20lbs
    - front rack barbell lunges @45 (the bar was plenty enough!)

One heck of a 16 minutes sweat session!
    Got a 10x1 min fast, 1.5min slow run that I'll go do soonish. And then the worst exercise of my day will be getting on the scale >_> No not really but it makes it sound dramatic and who doesn't like some drama! I could be a reality show by myself! Ha. no, not really either. I'm walking away now. :P
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    So yesterday was my birthday and I decided that after my birthday I would re-commit to logging. My lifting has been strong and easy and I am assuming thats because I am eating at a big surplus. Not gaining weight, but they upped my synthroid so I am hoping that if I cut some calories I will start losing again. Anyway!

Yesterday I went horseback riding. That's not a ton of exercise, but I am pretty sure I can credit lifiting for the fact that I am not sore today. People are always talking about how sore horseback riding makes them.

Lifts:

Squats - several sets of sumo air squats. I really do think these are helping my squats in addition to helping The Weird Pain stay at bay. Many warm up sets then working 200 3x5. 200 pounds! Hugo deal for me! Yay!

OHP - 85 5x5. This is my third repeat at this weight I think. It was much, much easier than the first time. Going to bump up to 90 next time.

DL - I did a warmup set at 195 and then COULD NOT get my work set at 255 off the ground. It might as well have weighed 355 pounds. Don't know what was happening there. Oh well.

Run - 3 fast-ish (for me) miles in the park.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    So yesterday was my birthday and I decided that after my birthday I would re-commit to logging.

Happy birthday! Mine is tomorrow. Yay to May birthdays!
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Week 4 Day 1 today, B workout.

Squats: warmup, then 5x5@95 (was supposed to be 90 but I loaded 5 lbers on there instead of 2.5. Doh!)
    OHP: warmup, then 5x5@50
    Deadlifts: warmup, then 1x5@90
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Anyone else buy the warmup addition to the SL app? I did. Figured it was just a couple bucks and would take some thinking away during those 6am gym visits. :p

~~~~~~I posted form videos in the proper thread for this workout~~~~~~~

Squats: warmup sets, then working set @90 lbs
    OHP: warmup sets, then working set @65 lbs <~~~~my first time taking 3 min rests btw
    DL: no warmup, straight to 135 lbs, felt badass using 45 lb plates :)

After this I decided I wanted to throw in some hanging leg raises, so I did 15...then I thought, hey, maybe I can get toes to the bar this time...

So, I took a quick break and pumped myself up for ONE toes to bar. Well, I did 5. :D Then I did 10 pistol squats, and two more sets of 5 toes to bar and 10 pistol squats. I am pretty serious in the gym, but I could NOT stop smiling after this. Then I did a couple of sets of farmer walks to improve my grip, at that point my hands were over it...lol.

BTW, happy birthday to all my fellow May babies!
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Liza!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday May birthday peeps!

Last night I decided that I would try waking up a little bit early (shock I know) and have an apple and some water before my workout. I felt great! And it helped me wake up. Plus the little extra time meant that I could do a really nice slow warm up and work on some hip mobility. My daughter ended up waking up early too, and with hubs off to work at 5 I decided that she could just hang with me. It took me a while to get through the workout as she is a bit of an attention hog, but I had a really good work out.

Workout B
    Squat 140 lbs 3x5 working up from my last de load, I also took a video (taped my phone to the wall) and found I was going way passed parallel so that's good.
    OHP 50 lbs 3x5 (yay I always feel good when I progress on this one)
    DL 1x5 160 lbs my goal for May was to get to 170 lbs and I don't think I will make that, but at least I made some progress

Accessories
    SLDL 3x8 120 lbs
    Glute bridges 3x8 70 lbs

I'll go for a run this afternoon or maybe this evening. Speaking of running, my race on Saturday was AWESOME, so much fun. I wanted to run it all but that just wasn't going to happen (some bottlenecking at single track spots, steep down hills and some really really long up hills) but I pushed myself as hard as I could and next year I plan on doing the same race but beating my 42 minute time.
  • krokador
    Options
    (Late) Happy birthday Liza and skittles! And anyone else I might've missed :)

I did both a pretty intense workout and run yesterday so I decided to tackle mobility hard this morning with the Tapout XT 2 Recovery and mobility video. Anyone who thinks it doesn't count as a workout, I'll let the sweat on my mat beg to differ xD

Still thinking about going for a 2.5 mile steady run this afternoon, methinks. But we'll see what my legs say when I get there. At the moment my groin and butt are really, really tender. Lunges + hard runs = serious DOMS!

@llama Hey you still have a week to add those 10lbs. Go crazy and try it before the end of the month. Even if it's just 1 rep! Who knows, you might find that you get all 5 anyway!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I managed to get thru 45 minutes today! Yay! I'm still sick and congested so I am thoroughly wiped out.

I decided to de-load today, too, on both squats and OHP. I am going to de-load on bench as well and probably DL's. Not only because of being sick, but I want to focus on form and work on using the 45lb plates on my squats (instead of 35's + 10's) since I seem to have trouble with the 45's. No trouble today, though!

Squats - 5x5 @ 135lbs
    Hanging knee raises - 3x8 (during rest periods of last 3 sets of squats)
    OHP - 5x5 @ 56.5lbs
    Split squats - 5x5 (during OHP rest periods)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Are we Rollin'..............wow....

So workout A for me today getting it in early as I have a potluck this evening and have to get something cooked for it...chicken stir fry.

My sister isn't joining me as she is at the hospital with her Father in law who is having open heart surgery....:cry:

I might be able to get caught up on the posts today...yah.

@Katrina yes I marked on my floor (pads) where my toes go once I found my favorite spot
    @Sabrella my girls have shrunk too...down to a B cup for normal bras..C cup for pushup...36...used to be a 38 C or D, but they are back to "normal" minus the fact they aren't as perky now...breast fed my son and was fat for 20 years...:sad:

So squats warmup 1x5@bar, 2x5@65, 2x5@85 working weight @ 155 3x5 on those...just realized that is over BW for me now...:drinker:

Bench warmup 1x5@bar, 2x5@ 35, 2x5@65 working weight @ 125 as my husband stepped in too early last time thought I was gonna fail and he steps up I shake no cause I can't talk...grrr 3x5 on those time to move up

Rows @ 125 for form I still feel like my upper body is giving me momentum might be time to deload...:grumble: 3x5 but gonna deload down to 100 for form...I got 3 up on the 2nd set great form, 4th one..form started to break down...bam 5th one form off...:explode: oh well..not a biggy I guess...best to have good form
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Rolling, rolling, rolling...

Happy birthday to our May girls!
    Now that I'm not on lunch and I have more time to explain....Here is a video of Alanna Casey. If you start around the 1:33 mark you'll see how she sets up for bench. If you get to where your eyes are a little below the bar and THEN setup even if you're just doing a little arch/tightening shoulder blades you'll end up lower on the bench and have to undo everything when you unrack the bar.

Thanks so much! I googled her video, I think my setup needs a bit of work, my feet are definitely not that far back when I bench, and I'm not nearly as arched either. I'll be attempting her way on the next attempt :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Rolling, rolling, rolling...

Happy birthday to our May girls!

Thanks so much! I googled her video, I think my setup needs a bit of work, my feet are definitely not that far back when I bench, and I'm not nearly as arched either. I'll be attempting her way on the next attempt :)

Not to confuse but here is another one...feet in a totally different spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34XRmd3a8_0

Sara posted this in the ETP FB group and she and I discussed foot placement

My comment was
    interesting but confusing...the foot position...when I started I was flat footed but have seen many a demonstration video where that is not corrected or encouraged...not questioning just wondering why the difference between trainers..ie Dave Tate and her. I prefer feet flat (less hip cramping)

Her response was
    In my opinion, it depends on preference/leverages. However, some federations like the USAPL require heels on the floor, so it's best to train that way if you are going to compete in those federations.

So I have started putting my feet forward (not that I am going to compete) just to see how it goes...and to be honest either or is good with me...

I find I have more leverage when my feet are back, but I get more of push and feel it in more parts (belly) when they are out further like in this video.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Happy belated birthday to all the recent birthday people!