Replies

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

... and he's a Vegan!

Is that another word for not human? lol

Kind regards,

'The Sprinter' :laugh:

I couldn't even begin to compete with your speeds mate, however maybe if I lost my last stone of lard it might help :)
    Just look at his cadence, christ knows what distance he'd be covering if he worked out how to change out of first gear...

F8**!! lol, didn't notice that, I see what your mean, refer back to my 'not human' comment.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    he's either spinning like a hamster in a wheel, or he's got 2 magnets on the cadence crank, or his cadence sensor is broken... on at least 2 of his bikes...
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the cadence has never worked since I got the CycleOps PowerCal. Actually today, neither power meter or HRM worked at all. I recorded on both Strava app & Garmin with similar (but different) results. I went with the Garmin which was 5k less distance (but zero elevation). Might have to reset the Garmin or maybe the high heat/sweat yesterday fried my HRM--just my luck on my last high mileage day.

Thanks for all the kudos. It will be a short leisure ride tomorrow in New Orleans with a buddy of mine. I'm off to Orlando on Monday for a conference and will be without bike. I might sneak in 2 rides next weekend, but for the most part, today is the last of big miles for me. I exceeded my highest weekly miles (325ish from the 2013 Castelli's Battaglia in Montagna) by +100. It's been a great challenge and great riding by all.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I'd try a "factory reset" on the garmin 500 tbh - I had problems when I first got the Powercal because the 800 had been previously paired with the garmin "hard HR belt" and a powertap rear wheel that i'd scrounged from a mate for a week or so...

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={af76b980-cd31-11e0-cf56-000000000000} gives details of how to do the reset, and theres a handy link on the page re: how to back up your settings etc. beforehand...

I reckon it must be the head unit, because it's doing it with a couple of different bikes, and unless you're swapping the GSC10's over as well, it can't be the sensor...
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Yeah, the cadence has never worked since I got the CycleOps PowerCal. Actually today, neither power meter or HRM worked at all. I recorded on both Strava app & Garmin with similar (but different) results. I went with the Garmin which was 5k less distance (but zero elevation). Might have to reset the Garmin or maybe the high heat/sweat yesterday fried my HRM--just my luck on my last high mileage day.

Thanks for all the kudos. It will be a short leisure ride tomorrow in New Orleans with a buddy of mine. I'm off to Orlando on Monday for a conference and will be without bike. I might sneak in 2 rides next weekend, but for the most part, today is the last of big miles for me. I exceeded my highest weekly miles (325ish from the 2013 Castelli's Battaglia in Montagna) by +100. It's been a great challenge and great riding by all.

Have to say I'm relieved that isn't your actual cadence as it's truly mental lol, I was starting to think you were super human, mind you the milage you've put in this week has been outstanding and with that 4am running you do you make me feel damn lazy, shame about the conference, it was all setup to be a cracker, saying that the final weekend will be tough for me to get much in so it's all swings and roundabouts, luck of what you can fit in plays a part and sometimes that is just out of our control unless your a pro being paid to do this stuff :)
  • Lard_Vader
    Options
    I'd try a "factory reset" on the garmin 500 tbh - I had problems when I first got the Powercal because the 800 had been previously paired with the garmin "hard HR belt" and a powertap rear wheel that i'd scrounged from a mate for a week or so...

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={af76b980-cd31-11e0-cf56-000000000000} gives details of how to do the reset, and theres a handy link on the page re: how to back up your settings etc. beforehand...

I reckon it must be the head unit, because it's doing it with a couple of different bikes, and unless you're swapping the GSC10's over as well, it can't be the sensor...

I tried a reset, still won't sync to the HRM. The battery cave had a dab of moisture--appears I loss the o-ring (same thing happened to my Wahoo HRM (and was it's demise). Sent wife out to get a new battery, hoping I can salvage it with a new o-ring purchase if needed, otherwise I'll have to buy another unit.
    Have to say I'm relieved that isn't your actual cadence as it's truly mental lol, I was starting to think you were super human, mind you the milage you've put in this week has been outstanding and with that 4am running you do you make me feel damn lazy, shame about the conference, it was all setup to be a cracker, saying that the final weekend will be tough for me to get much in so it's all swings and roundabouts, luck of what you can fit in plays a part and sometimes that is just out of our control unless your a pro being paid to do this stuff :)

I have never used a cadence sensor, the one that came with the CycleOps never worked from the day I got it. I suppose I might get around to getting a new one. I mainly watch my HR and Watts/Kg (which I missed today and was very frustrating). The high mileage becomes systematic with the more you put in. Some days are better than others, but I was surprised how strong I felt today from beginning to end. Makes me wonder how much longer I could go (I'll let that question linger for a long time!) A friend told me recently I should try out for the RAAM race, as I have the mentality for it. Perhaps one day, the bigger challenge in the short term will be running 50 miles come November ;-)
  • Lard_Vader
    Options
    I tried a reset, still won't sync to the HRM. The battery cave had a dab of moisture--appears I loss the o-ring (same thing happened to my Wahoo HRM (and was it's demise). Sent wife out to get a new battery, hoping I can salvage it with a new o-ring purchase if needed, otherwise I'll have to buy another unit.

New battery didn't work, but I took the lid off and set it directly under the desk (fluorescent bulb) lamp for a few hours to dry up. Viola! Works again. Guess I'll need to get a replacement o-ring before I use it again and let it dry out for several more days to insure it doesn't corrode. I really wish these HRMs had chargeable batteries and/or didn't have to be changed as often.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Mio Alpha for a HRM. No chest monitors. It uses a light on your skin with a motion detector to adjust for motion. It uses a rechargeable battery and has a monitor to tell you when it's getting low. It uses Blue Tooth to connect though so it connects to the Wahoo but not to Garmin devices (unless there is one I'm not aware of). You can see the review on DC Rainmaker. I love this thing. Easy to read. Easy to sync. Easy to see when to recharge. So far very accurate and very durable.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Team 4 - Sorry about no miles today. Every time I tried to take lunch or a break and go for a ride, something came in. I've got a bloat dog going right now. I'm on hour 30 with no end in sight. I'll do my best go get something in tomorrow but I'm on all weekend so we'll see what happens.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    I was surprised how strong I felt today from beginning to end. Makes me wonder how much longer I could go (I'll let that question linger for a long time!) A friend told me recently I should try out for the RAAM race, as I have the mentality for it. Perhaps one day, the bigger challenge in the short term will be running 50 miles come November ;-)

Exactly how I felt last week, great feeling to have reached that level of fitness, I haven't felt this fit since I was a teenager, looking forward to seeing what I can do when I've lost that final stone, it's like shifting concrete though lol, slow going but I'm getting there but I think that's the best way to loose it
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    well, the current UK weather is beginning to get to me I'm afraid - posted a frankly unspectacular 65.8km this morning - raining hard as I set off, carried on for another hour, until the thunderstorm hit, where it was just ridiculous, then calmed back down to raining hard again. Arrived home, poured half a pint of water out of the Sidi's , wrung out the socks, and for the fourth day running, every stitch of clothing went straight into the washing machine and I streaked upstairs for a shower.

it's fair to say it's wearing a little thin now.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    They've modified our forecast for the week to mostly rain,,,I will try to squeeze in rides when there isn't lightening and thunder.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    well, the current UK weather is beginning to get to me I'm afraid - posted a frankly unspectacular 65.8km this morning - raining hard as I set off, carried on for another hour, until the thunderstorm hit, where it was just ridiculous, then calmed back down to raining hard again. Arrived home, poured half a pint of water out of the Sidi's , wrung out the socks, and for the fourth day running, every stitch of clothing went straight into the washing machine and I streaked upstairs for a shower.

Seems to be the common story for most brits today, I have no idea how but Nottingham was sunny from midday, someone upstairs may have took pity on me after yesterday eh! lol
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    They've modified our forecast for the week to mostly rain,,,I will try to squeeze in rides when there isn't lightening and thunder.

Anything you can ride is appreciated Tom, but FFS don't risk it in the thunderstorms mate :-)
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Agreed! Thought I'd get a 'dry' ride in yesterday; got about 10 minutes in & down it came again... I too am getting very fed up with it!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Team 4 - That's all I could pull after a 90 hour shift this weekend. Stu is gone to a conference so even if it's a little I hope you get out and ride a bit. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Rides for Sanity. I saw your ride. Nice job! :drinker: :drinker:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    OK. I need some help. My bike computer is going out. I'm interested in getting another but I'm having problems wading through all the reviews and ads. The two I'm looking at now are the Garmin 510 and 810. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    810 if the navigation features are something you'd use, 510 if you're not too bothered about mapping and just want to record the rides and display training information.

Must admit, the mapping on my 800 has come in very handy indeed some rides, so I'd go for the 810 of those two.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Okay folks - some of you may have noticed a change in the logging spreadsheet.

Unfortunately one of the members of team 3 was having a few issues which prevented her from riding to the level she wished to - and not wanting to let the team down, has stepped aside to allow the next substitute rider to enter.

So - please welcome "AlwaysInMotion" to team 3...

as a friendly gesture (and as I felt a little guilty in asking her to join with a 2 week ride backlog to sort out) I decided to give her a helping hand along the way with a pre-filled "template" for the first couple of weeks... These figures have been checked against Strava, and also entered into the spreadsheet - giving team 3 something of a boost along.

Once there has been a post made in the "entries thread" I'll apply the "pink highlight" to show they're official figures, as per usual, but to be honest, it seemed rather silly to compile the figures, enter them into a template, and NOT key them into the spreadsheet at the same time...
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    OK. I need some help. My bike computer is going out. I'm interested in getting another but I'm having problems wading through all the reviews and ads. The two I'm looking at now are the Garmin 510 and 810. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I love the 810 and wouldn't be without it, it's been the single most useful thing above the bike I've bought in the last year, the battery life alone is amazing, the 1000 is out now which has a bigger screen although the 810 is quite adequate really
This discussion has been closed.