• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    10348208_658318797556031_4784136817675506097_n.jpg
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Big rides and racking up the KMs:

I would say that depends on what else is in your life. I work full time and don't get home until around 6 pm most nights, have three teens and a seven year old in the house that need more than food in the refrig, or at least the seven year old does. Lucky for me I have a wife who loves to ride or that would be another limitation to the miles. So, all said, a long ride has to take into account what is happening with the rest of your life. When the time is there which is usually every other weekend when the seven year old is otherwise occupied we try and get something over 100Km and I do like to do two or three centuries each year plus my big ride - Climb 2 Kaiser the last Saturday in June.

Cycling really is a lifestyle to a degree, a matter of priority as well but it is also addicting as we all know so just remember not to allow it to damage other important areas of your life. After all we want to tell others how it has made our life better not how it contributed to a divorce ;)

Well said. Factors like time, equipment, and family all effect the amount of distance we can ride. I have four boys; one of which who will ride with me. My wife occasionally rides. I also ride a steel bike, as I like touring, and it services my weight well. All this said; my time is limited, and the amount of distance I cover in that time is even more limited by the equipment.

However, I really enjoy riding, and do the best with the resources that I have.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Well said. Factors like time, equipment, and family all effect the amount of distance we can ride. I have four boys; one of which who will ride with me. My wife occasionally rides. I also ride a steel bike, as I like touring, and it services my weight well. All this said; my time is limited, and the amount of distance I cover in that time is even more limited by the equipment.

However, I really enjoy riding, and do the best with the resources that I have.

Sadly my 17 year old decided a couple of years ago to abandon riding in a group or while wearing spandex. He now reserves one of my bikes for emergency trips to visit his girlfriend when he can't get a ride from me. My daughter gave up riding completely around the same time but my step daughter has shown recent interest.

As for steel, I still have my 1986 Schwinn Premis and love riding it. It easily has 20,000 miles on it and rides on the flats as good or better than my carbon bikes.

Hopefully the weather will not provide another limitation to the miles tonight.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    AAAAGHHHH!!!! I am very sorry team 4. Trust me, my mind needs me to ride more than our team needs the miles, but the kiddos are only young once...

I left work early today so that I could ride before softball practice at the fields near the house... It has been nearly a week and I haven't even taught my spin classes... Well, I missed that we had a make up game in OH, 40 min away. Oops! Luckily my older daughter got a hold of me (yeah new phones) and let me know before I got on the road... She is an incredible organized and logical 11 yo... Instead of my ride I scrambled to get gear, uniform (still dirty from last nights game - BAD MOM) and kid in just enough time to scurry across the river to the fields. It was their first win of the season. This team beat them 13-3 last time. Today we won 20 - 2...
  • banshee1013
    banshee1013 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Another piece of advice, wear plenty of sunscreen, after all that riding last week even though I put sunblock on I now look ridiculous in the gym (more then usual):

e6t6ag.png

I quote you: Rule #7: Tan lines should be cultivated and kept razor sharp :D
    Although sunscreen is good for making them TAN lines rather than BURN lines (as I've managed to get two weekends in a row now) :D

P.S. are URL links not allowed in this forum? I tried to include a link to The Rules (http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/) but was unable to get it to work...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    They don't work. Something about being unable to cope with banning the spammers fast enough. Wonder how other forums cope.

Oh, yes, they try harder, that'll be it.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    TBY - Sorry. Had to split a ride again. Had a flat and pinched my tube changing it. Then I had to get a ride to the LBS and get two new tubes, two new CO2 cartridges and a new tire. Switched both tires to Gatorskins 25mm. I like them so far. I rode home from the LBS and they seem to roll pretty good. Now if I can just avoid another flat.

Dean
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Did anyone see the rider from Sky after the crash in the Giro today? WOW! That looked like it really hurt. There wasn't much riding kit left after sliding across the pavement but there wasn't much skin either.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    TBY - Sorry. Had to split a ride again. Had a flat and pinched my tube changing it. Then I had to get a ride to the LBS and get two new tubes, two new CO2 cartridges and a new tire. Switched both tires to Gatorskins 25mm. I like them so far. I rode home from the LBS and they seem to roll pretty good. Now if I can just avoid another flat.

Dean

Gatorskins are pretty good tyres - though I found them a complete pain in the *kitten* to fit and remove - though TBH the only time I had to remove them was to throw them away as they were worn out. And they were STILL stupid tight on the Fulcrum Rims I was running at the time - after 4000+ miles!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm new to all this. Is there anywhere to see the current team standings?
  • TheBigYin
    Options

All the stats, all the time...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qoBU3Om2ZzFmPSacvUlwW5n5cG3_mF2JYPWGwnbRyuU/edit?usp=sharing

(if the ride has a "TBY Edit - Logged" note at the bottom, it's in here, highlighted in pink - if there's a number in the distances, it's ridden, logged in strava, but not entered into the thread (i.e. - i've picked it up by strava-stalking :laugh:))
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options

All the stats, all the time...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qoBU3Om2ZzFmPSacvUlwW5n5cG3_mF2JYPWGwnbRyuU/edit?usp=sharing

(if the ride has a "TBY Edit - Logged" note at the bottom, it's in here, highlighted in pink - if there's a number in the distances, it's ridden, logged in strava, but not entered into the thread (i.e. - i've picked it up by strava-stalking :laugh:))

Awesome! Thanks.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Help; I think I'm being stalked :noway:

My morning ride has appeared in the Google Doc before I've registered it... :ohwell:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I may have been sat browsing Strava this morning, whilst sulking that after all the riding I've done this week, and I've only lost 0.2 bloody kg.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    200g is 200g...

Better than gaining 200g :wink:
  • harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Fantastic Riding by Jake & Antisu both on over 1,000km already! looks like the grand tours are going to hit new highs this year!!!
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Fantastic Riding by Jake & Antisu both on over 1,000km already! looks like the grand tours are going to hit new highs this year!!!

Been a strong showing by all, Stu is an absolute animal, not only does he do that kind of milage but he runs too .... now that's a whole other level of crazy lol, kudos I don't know how you fit it in.

I don't know how the final weeks going to pan out but judging by the forecast my Winter wet training will come in use, the challenge just got harder.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Been a strong showing by all, Stu is an absolute animal, not only does he do that kind of mileage but he runs too ....

... and he's a Vegan!
    I don't know how you fit it in.

Well, he gets up and runs at 4am for a start!

#nutter! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Chapeau you 'high mileage' boys!

Kind regards,

'The Sprinter' :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    not only does he do that kind of milage but he runs too .... now that's a whole other level of crazy lol, kudos I don't know how you fit it in.

Just look at his cadence, christ knows what distance he'd be covering if he worked out how to change out of first gear...
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    well we bought a new house a couple months ago, and its now moving weekend, hoping to be able to fit in rides but I may not get the approval to get out....here is to hoping.
This discussion has been closed.