2014 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - SIgnup/Discussion Thread

Options

Replies

• Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Way to go Team 4! You guys came through in spades! Stu - You are an animal! :drinker: :drinker:

You won't see any numbers like that for an individual ride on the remainder of the challenge from me. We did another this time last year around 240k. I did attempt 300k back in January, but fell short at 273. In any case, Saturday was a beast of ride even though we are flatlanders down here--pace was tough, and I couldn't quit since I was the tour guide!

I hope to continue some nice long miles up on the board. I usually do more running in the workweek. If others from Team 4 want to tag team some big rides on certain days, drop me a PM. I'm always looking for an excuse to ride long. Best of luck and be safe to all.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    I'll be posting the rest of yesterdays updates to the spreadsheet over the course of this morning.

TBY, where is the updated spreadsheet located ??

Should be the same linky as I posted earlier...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qoBU3Om2ZzFmPSacvUlwW5n5cG3_mF2JYPWGwnbRyuU/edit?usp=sharing
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Rain in the forecast for the next week here, every day, but I'll try to slip in some rides between the rain showers.
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Apologies to team 4....all of my rides have been MTB so far this week (including today's yet to be posted); which generally means less mileage. Hoping to get in some road kilometres this week...
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Somehow I managed to miss that Team 3 is name "Metrically Challenged". Excuse me while I pick myself off of the floor from laughing so hard.

Metric weights I can do, metric lengths I have some sort of mental block against. Back in the saddle tomorrow...think I burned myself out a bit last week hence the non-rides this weekend (plus the winds were heinous).
  • banshee1013
    banshee1013 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Apologies to Team 4 - DNR Friday and Saturday, but got a big one (for me, anyway) in yesterday - 2 hours on the bike = nice sharp tan lines :D OK, to be fair at the moment they are BURN lines, but that will fade and leave the nice tan :D

I'll log my DNRs and ride this evening, then back on the bike tomorrow!
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone got out for a nice easy spin today. As we all know there are no real rest days in stage race. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Stretching and core strength today. Staying off the bike while I try to stretch out sore muscles. The foam roller on the IT bands really hurts today. :laugh: :laugh: I'll be ready for tomorrow though. Getting old is not for the weak or wimpy. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I hope everyone got out for a nice easy spin today. As we all know there are no real rest days in stage race. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Legs needed a spin, but with due deference to my recent "saddle contact point" problems, I chose to spend the day off the bike - on the upside, the Doc removed the last couple of stitches yesterday, so I should be back to normal (for me) by the weekend.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    My deep apologies Team 3. My hubby's emergency surgery last week threw me off my schedule. Snow on Sunday and Monday have not helped. So I will not report any miles for the 9th through the 12th. :frown:

:flowerforyou: Very Sorry Team 3. I knew I wasn't a big mileage puller anyways but I had hopes of better milage than what I will have.. Hopefully my miles will help any way.

And darn the google spreadsheets. They never work for me right. That's what I get for having IE8. Can't be helped - verboten to upgrade. :huh:
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Dang...didn't realize that rest days don't count. Well at least they count to my training, and to my calories burned.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Sorry Team 1, but my weather did not cooperate here. They've gone back to their original forecast, and we are supposed to get the rain / thunderstorms here until Friday some time. Typically, when it rains here this time of year, we get a lot of lightning, so I don't want to risk it.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Yeah Team 4!!!! You guys rock!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Sorry Team 1, but my weather did not cooperate here. They've gone back to their original forecast, and we are supposed to get the rain / thunderstorms here until Friday some time. Typically, when it rains here this time of year, we get a lot of lightning, so I don't want to risk it.

No worries Tom, we've got the distance sorted for the day anyway :-)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Dang...didn't realize that rest days don't count. Well at least they count to my training, and to my calories burned.

That's sort of WHY I included the rest days in the chart, to give everyone (not just the geeks like me that actually follow the race) a chance to plan their "off the bike" days. Actually, it's a bit more applicable for the TdF challenge, as in the Giro, it's a bit more weather-driven, whereas in July (theoretically) we're less likely to be snowed/rained off.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Okay - another substitution time folks...

it Seems Snow is having a few problems with synching rides etc, and has kindly volunteered her place to the substitute rider Cowbellsandcoffee.

Again, as she's not actually posted anything to the thread, I'm happy to allow all rides from the beginning on friday 9th onwards to be entered.

oh, one more thing... you may be needing this... :laugh:

Giro_Dossard_316b.jpg
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Any of y'all up near Lehigh or Bethlehem, PA? I'm traveling up there for training early June and taking my bike. Would love to have someone to ride with (draft off of, whatever)...

Nikki
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Welcome Cowbells to team 2.

As a heads up no riding for me from today until Sunday. I have a 2nd session on my tattoo this afternoon and can't sweat it all up for a couple of days. I will be back with a vengeance on Sunday though.

Have fun out there
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Bad timing here....I do core, lift weights and do a track workout on Tuesday and Thursday. We don't count indoor tracks workouts so I planned on a good ride today.
    Well nature finally caught up with us SoCal folks. Wild fires all around me. All the places I usually ride was ablaze with fire. Air quality is dangerous for riding.

Track tomorrow and hoping Friday the air is back to acceptable.

Good news is our house is still standing, some are not so lucky.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Welcome Cowbells to team 2.

As a heads up no riding for me from today until Sunday. I have a 2nd session on my tattoo this afternoon and can't sweat it all up for a couple of days. I will be back with a vengeance on Sunday though.

Have fun out there

Thanks. Glad to be here.

Word of advice for the other teams...don't sleep... :bigsmile:

jaws_Large.jpg
This discussion has been closed.