2014 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - SIgnup/Discussion Thread

Options

Replies

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Okay folks - some of you may have noticed a change in the logging spreadsheet.

Unfortunately one of the members of team 3 was having a few issues which prevented her from riding to the level she wished to - and not wanting to let the team down, has stepped aside to allow the next substitute rider to enter.

So - please welcome "AlwaysInMotion" to team 3...

as a friendly gesture (and as I felt a little guilty in asking her to join with a 2 week ride backlog to sort out) I decided to give her a helping hand along the way with a pre-filled "template" for the first couple of weeks... These figures have been checked against Strava, and also entered into the spreadsheet - giving team 3 something of a boost along.

Once there has been a post made in the "entries thread" I'll apply the "pink highlight" to show they're official figures, as per usual, but to be honest, it seemed rather silly to compile the figures, enter them into a template, and NOT key them into the spreadsheet at the same time...

Bit like me late last year, good to see someone else on board and some decent mileage too!
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options

Unfortunately one of the members of team 3 was having a few issues which prevented her from riding to the level she wished to - and not wanting to let the team down, has stepped aside to allow the next substitute rider to enter.

as a friendly gesture (and as I felt a little guilty in asking her to join with a 2 week ride backlog to sort out) I decided to give her a helping hand along the way with a pre-filled "template" for the first couple of weeks... These figures have been checked against Strava, and also entered into the spreadsheet - giving team 3 something of a boost along.

Once there has been a post made in the "entries thread" I'll apply the "pink highlight" to show they're official figures, as per usual, but to be honest, it seemed rather silly to compile the figures, enter them into a template, and NOT key them into the spreadsheet at the same time...

Bummer for the one who had to drop, but kudos to you TBY for letting a late entry in like that.

And welcome "AlwaysInMotion" to Team 3!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options

Welcome to the challenge. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Hopefully we will see you on the next challenge as well. :wink:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I just want to say I appreciate all the advice I got on the bike computer. I got some great advice on a couple of discussion pages here and also on Strava. I decided to go with the Garmin 510. I ordered it and it will be here next week. Nashbar had a bundle so I replaced all my bluetooth stuff with ANT+. TBY, your comment about if I don't need the navigation feature swayed me to the 510 over the 810. Once I get on a road around there area, there's not a lot of turning. It would be different if I lived in a metropolitan area but since you when you live between two mountain ranges, there's only so many places the road can go. :bigsmile: :laugh:

Thanks again for all the help. :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I’ve requested to be removed from the challenge. Got the impression from Mark/TBY that I’m not all that welcome. Just a mileage donor to fill in for the no-shows. Sorry for any inconvenience to folks on Team 3.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I’ve requested to be removed from the challenge. Got the impression from Mark/TBY that I’m not all that welcome. Just a mileage donor to fill in for the no-shows. Sorry for any inconvenience to folks on Team 3.

Sorry to hear that. I got the impression from his communications that he was glad to have you. I know we are all glad to have someone that likes to ride. I think if you stick around you'll find him to be a great host for the challenges. He's accepted all of us despite our differences in abilities. Hope you reconsider your decision.

Dean
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid she's made her decision pretty clear to me via a PM or three Dean.

Shame for team 3 though :ohwell:

ETA: glad I could be of some help with the Garmin decision - I certainly understand how road-navigation isn't at much of a premium when you live in an area with 3 roads :laugh:
  • banshee1013
    banshee1013 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My sincere apologies to Team 4 - Unexpected family obligations have kept me off the bike this week, but taking everyone to the airport tomorrow means I'll be able to get in a nice long ride tomorrow afternoon :) Also apologies to TBY for not logging, but I'm up-to-date now :)

However, judging from the spreadsheet, you have all been making up for my lack of riding IN SPADES :D Great job team!
  • banshee1013
    Options
    I'm using the Mio Alpha for a HRM. No chest monitors. It uses a light on your skin with a motion detector to adjust for motion. It uses a rechargeable battery and has a monitor to tell you when it's getting low. It uses Blue Tooth to connect though so it connects to the Wahoo but not to Garmin devices (unless there is one I'm not aware of). You can see the review on DC Rainmaker. I love this thing. Easy to read. Easy to sync. Easy to see when to recharge. So far very accurate and very durable.

On this glowing recommendation, I went to MioGlobal to check out their products, and I rather like the Mio Link better - not only is it cheaper, but it supports ANT+ which links to IpBike (the cycling app on my phone)... plus, it's $100 cheaper! Now to convince the spouse... :D
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    My sincere apologies to Team 4 - Unexpected family obligations have kept me off the bike this week, but taking everyone to the airport tomorrow means I'll be able to get in a nice long ride tomorrow afternoon :) Also apologies to TBY for not logging, but I'm up-to-date now :)

However, judging from the spreadsheet, you have all been making up for my lack of riding IN SPADES :D Great job team!

Just in time. :wink: I'm not likely going to be able to put miles on this weekend since I'm pulling a 62 hour shift at work this weekend. Glad you're back to make up what I'm going to miss. :drinker: :drinker:

I saw your post about the Mio Link. I'm getting a Garmin 510 next week. I'll have to check out the Mio Link since my Mio Alpha won't link up to an ANT+ system. Thanks for the info. It couldn't have come at a better time. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Must say, the MIO Link thing looks interesting - partly because I have a few "issues" with HR monitor chest belts not sitting correctly / slipping in mid ride. To have something that works with ANT+ for the bike stuff, AND Bluetooth Smart to link to my Android phone for walking etc. would be great. Big problem I see is that 8-10 hour battery life - that'd definitely mean charging every day when out on a walking holiday (which would be difficult to arrange) - I suppose I could add it to the mahoosive list of other things that need to get an overnight charge while I'm asleep for more normal use, but it's still a shame.

Suppose there's never going to be a perfect solution is there :grumble:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Hey TBY - If you see the photos from today you can see just how right you were when you said navigation isn't a problem if you only have three roads. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hey TBY, I'd like to partake in one of these challenges when a spot opens up please. My Garmin Connect ID is 1855cru

Cheers,

Allan
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Hey TBY, I'd like to partake in one of these challenges when a spot opens up please. My Garmin Connect ID is 1855cru

Cheers,

Allan

keep your eyes peeled early in July for the next one, themed around LeTour...
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    keep your eyes peeled early in July for the next one, themed around LeTour...

Looking forward to it! Nearly as much as my rest day on Monday - Pooped!
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've been lagging on my logging....I'll catch up tomorrow after my ride.

TBY - how did you finally decipher that combo ride ?? I could never come up with your numbers....just curious.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Sorry Team 4, I brought my bike to work but when I got a chance to ride the front tire was flat. I'll have to fix it and try tomorrow. I saw a couple of posts and you guys are rocking!! Way to go!.
  • TheBigYin
    Options

TBY - how did you finally decipher that combo ride ?? I could never come up with your numbers....just curious.

It's still "in progress" to be honest... if you've the original .FIT or .TCX file which you could get to me, I've got a program which can slice it into it's component parts and send the appropriate ride sections back to you...

eta: I just tried the "slicer" program on the exported .gpx file from Strava, and came up with two sections...

one of

33.77km, the other 93.06km, however, the times seem to be completely screwed, as they are showing 3h22m and 9h19m for the times, which is obviously rubbish... i've had this problem with .GPX files before, but with a bit of luck on a "proper" .TCX or .FIT it would work ok...

eta some more - the GPX export routine (or my GPX importer) converts the speed to a "flat 10kph" - which is what's buggered up the speeds. If you can PM me with a link to an original out of the Garmin file, I'll run the slicer over it, and send you back 2 .TCX's that miss out the middle bit for you to give a quick "sanity check" to...

i've dropped them on my Garmin Connect to see they import properly...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/511175446

and

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/511176365

which appear to be the "riding" portions... when you've seen 'em let me know and I'll take them back down from my GC :wink:
  • banshee1013
    Options
    So... not an especially good challenge for me this time. I fully planned on riding this weekend, but on the way out today I started feeling a very noticeable "bump" coming from the rear. Thinking I might be having a tire going down, I quickly turned around and rode home :( Still managed to get 20 km... got home, tire definitely not flat, but there's a noticeable "flat spot" on the tire - more like the tire is sitting further into the rim than the rest of the tire which makes it very uneven. Google tells me it probably means the wheel is out of true, and I have not the skills to fix it, and I won't know until tomorrow if my bike shop will have time to true it for me - so tomorrow is out. :(

Looking forward to Le Tour in order to redeem myself... and start my official training for the 2 day, 150 mile Pedal the Cause ride in September :)

Way to go Team 4!
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

It's still "in progress" to be honest... if you've the original .FIT or .TCX file which you could get to me, I've got a program which can slice it into it's component parts and send the appropriate ride sections back to you...

eta: I just tried the "slicer" program on the exported .gpx file from Strava, and came up with two sections...

one of

33.77km, the other 93.06km, however, the times seem to be completely screwed, as they are showing 3h22m and 9h19m for the times, which is obviously rubbish... i've had this problem with .GPX files before, but with a bit of luck on a "proper" .TCX or .FIT it would work ok...

eta some more - the GPX export routine (or my GPX importer) converts the speed to a "flat 10kph" - which is what's buggered up the speeds. If you can PM me with a link to an original out of the Garmin file, I'll run the slicer over it, and send you back 2 .TCX's that miss out the middle bit for you to give a quick "sanity check" to...

i've dropped them on my Garmin Connect to see they import properly...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/511175446

and

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/511176365

which appear to be the "riding" portions... when you've seen 'em let me know and I'll take them back down from my GC :wink:

Ok, I have had a look you can take them down. I'll send over via PM the proper file.

FYI, basically did the same thing today, trainer warm up, Crit, then rode home. However the 500 did not seem as persnickety as last week. We'll see how it DL's a little later.
This discussion has been closed.