Replies

• JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Workout B today :

Squat: 5x5 @ 47,5kg
    OHP: 5x5 @ 27kg
    DL: 1x5 @ 65kg

It's week 4 now, and damn it really kicks my *kitten* now ;-)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Oh that gif. Thanks for that I washed my phone in coffee... Yesterday I did a really slow 5k. I think my cold is getting worse, not better. I slept in a bit today (6am hasn't been happening at all this week) but still managed to get workout b in before the kids were up.

Squat 160 3x5 I got stuck here last time.
    Ohp 54lbs 5/5/2 no idea what happened there
    Dl 180 1x2 I think I forsee a deload coming on this one.

Since my traditional dl's went so bad I did a little more weight on my accessories
    3x8 110lbs Sldl.
    3x8 90lbs glute bridges
    My bum now hurts, which is exactly what I was going for.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    HXBgnYT.gif

Can't.stop.watching (and wincing)!

Hi Ladies, happy hump day! I was on deload week last week, so I didn't post much, although I've been following along :) Great lifting all around!

I pulled my hamstring 2 weeks ago in between sprints and deadlifts, so deload week I got in my base sets on everything except DLs, but rested from any sort of running or heavy sets so my leg could heal up. I finally got back in the gym last night for squats, and holy hell did it ever hurt!

Round 7 of Wendlers, my "5" week, squat day.

Squats (I deloaded on these)
    5 x 70 pounds
    5 x 95 pounds
    3 x 105 pounds
    5 x 115 pounds
    5 x 135 pounds
    5 x 150 pounds - This was difficult, but I did get the reps

Assistance Work (I switched it up to more bodyweight stuff)
    Chinups - AMRAP, I didn't even get 1 this week, however, I got knuckle height for 2 sets in a row, so I'm taking that as a win
    One Leg Squat - 3 sets of 10. My balance needs work, I ended up taking a box and sitting on it at the bottom rather than falling on my *kitten* each rep
    Decline Situp - 3 sets of 10, got them all
    Cardio: 8 sets of 10 box jumps with 10 sec rest in between. I was sucking wind by the end of those!

My eating was terrible over the weekend, and I've had pretty low energy due to not working out, so I think the combo of both took it's toll on me. On the plus side, my hammy feels much better this week :)
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    OMG i just had my first weird gym encounter!!!! :noway:

I was prepping the barbell for my deadlift (110 pounds). I prep it next to the smith machine because that's where there is enough room.. a guy starts using the smith machine for bench press (really?!?) and then when i'm done putting my plates on the barbell i just mention that I have only 5 reps and i'm done and out of his way (because there is not THAT much room).. He looks at me funny and says "do you mean you have 5 sets of 10 reps left" in a smartass kind of way. I say "No, only 5 REPETITIONS." :mad:

@jstout365: OMG!! that gif is horrible. I can almost not look!!

So today was workout B!

Squat 5x5 75lbs
    OH press 5x5 40lbs (yay I get to try out the empty olympic bar next week!!)
    Deadlift 1x5 110lbs (I cant wait to deadlift my own bodyweight! hopefully by then it will be lower. lol)
  • CoadyMarie
    CoadyMarie Posts: 165
    Options
    Gah, that GIF is terrifying!

I took a week off from both diet and exercise as I was out of town for uni graduation and all the celebratory drinks/meals out that entails... and then just kept being lazy for a couple days when I got back :(. Kind of annoyed at myself for falling off the bandwagon only a month in, but I guess two steps forward and one step back still leaves me one step in the right direction. I did do a ton of walking, so that's got to count for something.

I wasn't sure if I would feel stronger after a week of eating more or weaker after not working out so I stayed where I was on weights (except DL).

Squat: 5x5x55
    OHP 5x5x40
    Deadlift 1x3 115
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have been mia online lately-
    Going through a breakup and had the cable and internet turned off...need to get that put in my name just had a million things to do with this...what a mess..

I am keeping my fitness and nutrition under control. SL has been tough to keep up with but I have been trying. I have been focusing on running for stress relief- Its helping. I never stopped doing SL- but I have not been as consistent as before.

Hope everyone is well!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Whoa that gif!

@Kita sorry for your break-up, and loss of internet. The 2nd one being the worst part (kidding!)

@Gen maybe he was just really into 531 assistance programming. Wendler states over and over "when in doubt do 5x10" for assistance.

Yay for everyone healing!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Kita sounds horrid situation, glad you are literally staying strong!

Well ladies I FINALLY got back in the gym after almost exactly 3 months and over a stone in weight *sigh*
    I saw a sports massage lady on sat. She couldn't really massage my arm as the muscles weren't tight. She also noted how left centric I am and how much more muscle is on that side. No wonder the right struggled.. but she did do a bit of acupuncture. didn't seem to do anything at the time but it's got better and better over the last 3 days (yay!) so I lugged my fat *kitten* (well my stomach is where it all settles) down to the gym. I actually choked up, didn't think I'd ever set foot in there again!

Just did 5 mins on the dreadmill (walking, angled), then 3x5x20kg squat (cramped on the very first one! my legs are soo tight), 3x5x20kg press, and 1x5x60kg deadlift. The 60kg felt -very- heavy! and the worst thing for my arm was lifting and moving the 20kg weights..

So relieved but fairly disgusted at how much the stress eating has got to me!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

AVLDX1t.gif

This is how I feel right now...

@willrun...yah on that DL number
    @hwill yah cutting and lifting...the ever never ending cycle of opposing forces it feels.
    @mlanders as long as you are not squatting 2x in a row you should be good imho...you need to rest at least that.
    @fit Yah I might try that...I ate my fruit early today (before I read that) instead of my yogurt...can easily switch those up. Wow at those squat numbers..jeeeesus woman.
    @spirit Yah I had that same feeling on Monday...blah.
    @rps haha same with my lifting...mental health break for sure.
    @sure nice numbers on the OHP...esp considering you had that stall...
    @muroo I have clicky knees too...esp now that I am biking more...patella formal syndrome is what they called it...it cracks and snaps etc..I just make sure I warm up lots, stretch etc. I found my knee brace so might use that if I have to or my sleeve.
    @krok my god how do you do all that...I get exhausted reading your posts...wowsers...
    @gen what a goof I might have come back with something like..."No I lift real weights so it's harder for me....:tongue: "
    @kita aww sorry to hear that..
    @lwood good to see you back :drinker:

So workout A for me today...carbed it up for the last two days while staying in goal and pretty much hitting all my other macros.

Squat @ 145...deloaded for form as I have found when I "tire out" my hips come up too fast...DH has suggested upping reps at the lower weights for endurance...might give it a go.

BP@ 130...hence the gif 5,5,4...and I think I might have been able to get it up had I had a spotter...but next week.

Rows @ 120 felt great with the form and in my back.

This weekend I did 3 full chinups...straight armed...full on chin above the bar chinups....son couldn't do any...husband could do one...........hehe
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    @lwoodroff glad you got back! I'm sure it was driving you crazy not to lift.
    @kita sorry to hear that!

Wasn't in the mood, probably because I forgot my headphones tonight. blergh wednesday.

Squats: 115lbs 3x5
    Rows: 70.5lbs 3x5
    Bench: 70.5lbs 3x5

Then no assisted chip ups or cardio because of the blergh-ness+lack of headphones.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I felt so much better about today's workout. It totally made up for the mess on Monday.

B:
    Squats: warm up, 5x5@100
    OHP: 4x5@50
    DL: warm up, 1x5@100
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    @Stef love that gif! good job on the chinups. That's awesome.

Last night:
    Squat - warm up, 5x5 @ 65lbs
    Bench - warm up, 5x5 @ 60lbs
    Row - warm up, 5x5 @ 55lbs

I was at a different YMCA than I usually go to last night and I was so excited to have the weight room all to myself!
    Also had my first stroke development clinic. The other person who was signed up didn't show, so I had a private session. Definitely wore myself out because I slept like a rock!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    @kita sorry to hear that, glad you're staying strong with the weight training though. It's definitely a good way to work out anger
    @stef, awesome chinups!
    @lwoodruff, glad to hear the acupuncture is working and that you're back in the gym again!
    @spirit, great numbers!
    @mlanders, this is the feeling I get when I have the weights all to myself

The-Office.gif

I did bench press last night, and put on my big girl panties again and went to the meathead coed gym, even though it was the busy time (I thought I wouldn't be able to get a bench).

Bench Press:
    5 x 50 pounds
    5 x 60 pounds
    3 x 70 pounds
    5 x 80 pounds
    5 x 90 pounds
    5 x 100 pounds

Assistance Work:
    Pushups - 3 sets of 15, I got 8, 8, 8
    Assisted Pullups - 3 sets of 10 with 40 pounds supported, I got 4, 4, 2
    Hanging Leg Raise - 3 sets of 10, I got them all
    Cardio - 8 rounds of 20 sec plank jacks and 10 sec rest, I got 4 rounds before I died.

Holy crap, I was still sore from squats, but I'm really glad I pushed through it and got the session in.

One benefit of the coed gym, I have no shortage of eligible spotters. The one last night knew what he was doing, he didn't touch the bar at all and he was cuing me as to when to breathe during my set :) I did end up kicking 2 young guys off the bench press, they were doing modified pushups, but happily moved when I asked if I could work in on the bench with them.

The only issue I have with that gym is that the weights are literally all over the place, so if I go to take one off of the power cages or other bench presses, I never know if the person is planning to use them next. So far no one's called me out yet though, so I'm assuming I'm not being rude about it.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Been keeping up with my workouts but haven't been able to post. My internet's been out all week too, although not for the same reason as @kita - sorry to hear that but great job on keeping up with your lifting!
    @hwillmott - good luck with the cutting. Thinking about starting one myself.
    @fit - 280 lb squats...good god woman!
    @krok - take it easy on that wonky knee.
    @stef - awesome on those chin-ups :drinker: and loved the kitteh gif!
    @lwoodruff - welcome back!

I started doing 3x5 last week, and have to say that I'm loving it so far. I'm repeating the same weights a couple of times before adding, but my progression was slowing anyway, so no biggie. Here's last night's workout:

squats - 3x5 at 135 pounds. Still movin' on up!
    BP - 3x5 at 105 pounds
    rows - 3x5 at 100 pounds
    ab and other accessory work in between lifts and finished off with 25 minutes of sprint intervals

Great work everyone, and hang in there, it's almost Friday!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Here is today's workout, I did the barbell things to warm up (along with my regular aerobic warm-up) they were good. I only used 10 lbs. on the hot potato since I never did it before and you have to toss it from one hand to the other. :)

Workout B (Thurs)

hot potato squat - 5 x 10 - 10

Dumbbell side bend - 5 x 10 - 40

barbell skis - 5 x 20 - 40

squats 5 X 5 - 135

overhead press 5 x 5 - 55

upgright rows 5 X 5 - 75

reverse curls 5 x 5 - 55

underhand bicep curls 5 x 5 - 80

flys 5 x 5 - 40

incline ab crunches - 1 x 100
  • perseverance14
    Options
    @Stef, I would love to be able to do chin ups, still bugging hubby to put up a bar. I have to resort to hanging from doors, I felt compressed at work Tuesday so I hung from the wall of the bathroom stall for a while, it worked.

Have to read through everybody else's later, was scanning but am in my basement and just finished my lifting so I want to move upstairs.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    My barbell skis are supposed to be dumbbell skis. Here is a link to them, they make great warm ups for me.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/hard-body
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    I really want to go through everyones post and do the @thing because I am cheering like crazy (or commiserating) when I read all these workout updates! Everyone is so smart and inspiring.

For me today
    3 mile run

Squats - I am doing lots of heavier "warm-up squats" now. Sumo air squats, light front squats and overhead squats then 1x5 of 45, 65, 95 and 135. I'm feeling good about my warm up routine. Then:

Squats - 205 - 3x5
    OHP - 90 5,4, 5, 5,4
    Hanging leg raises - 8 4x5
    Curls 45 4x10

I am beat
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    After my last slightly disappointing workout, today made me pretty happy. :)

Hit 130 on my squats, 90 on my bench, and deloaded to 85 on my row with my form greatly improved. I watched the video posted here in the rows thread and I think it really helped a lot.

Got all reps on all sets. I think I might even hit 100 on that bench # before stalling. We'll see!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If you've seen my status update you probably already know today was shoulder hell. zomg it hurts to hold my arms over the keyboard! lol

4x3 "reps" of
    Snatch grip behind the neck push press + snatch balance + OH Squat @ 75lbs

Front squats
    105x8
    110x5
    115x5
    115x5
    superset with pike presses on 18' box.
    6 / 5 / 6 / 5

After videoing myself on the last set of my squats I think Ima go back to doing them on the ground. My position is not "pike-y" enough. But I was pleasantly surprised at my front squat technique looking pretty good, I think. I might drop that vid on youtube and get opinions.

Then today's "chaos session" was this particularly awful grinder:
    6x10m of prowler pushes with 25lbs (from 30 cals airdyne cuz my gym don't have one :()
    600 single rope jumps (program called for 300 DUs but I suck suck suck at those)
    30 knees to bows (from T2B cuz, again, can't do 'em)
    30 DB clean and press PER ARM @ 25lbs
    ... then repeat for half the reps
    27:21 total time. The jump rope totally did me in. I keep practising and I'm just NOT getting better and at this point I'm getting a good bit frustrated :(

The fun part is, after this week, I'll be repeating those chaos sessions and trying to improve on my time. That makes it a lil less fun and a bit more dreadful xD

To those of you who asked how I do all this, here's a breakdown! lol

1- I'm definitely not eating at a deficit. That helps tons. >_>
    2- One step at a time. I go at it chunk by chunk.
    3- Caffeine. Yeah, it's bad for me. But one does not simply stop taking it. Sadly.

@suremeansyes Awesome work! You're getting hella strong!

@lizafava How do you manage to do squats at 205 AFTER a 3 mile run is beyond me O_o I would be beat too!

@perseverance How about getting one of those power gym bars that are like 20-30$ and you can just hang from any standard door? Albeit I'll give you a fair warning: make sure they're solid and don't swing from 'em. My toenail took over a year to heal from that drop :|

And I probably should get to work naw lol. Ya'll killing it! =D