June workout check in: June-o you want to deadlift

Options

Replies

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I was doing TDEE -10% which I was feeling good on.
    I have only been doing the 1600 a few weeks but I am actually losing too much weight (if I want to stick to the 1 lb. per week so I don't lose muscle). I might move it up to 1700 and see how that is, I want to get healed and back to lifting first though. I did some bodyweight exercises today and yesterday just to do something, I have to be more careful! 1700 would be TDEE - 15%.
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    @rachface: I kind of like it when there’s no other ladies in the weight room. Less competition for the power rack!

@hwillmott: I’ve sort of settled into being a regular at my gym and it really does feel awesome to be recognized - staff and other gym clients alike

@Fittreelol: I aspire to your amazing stats!

@krok: you + box jumps = applause I think I’d mostly just end up embarrassing and/or killing myself if I tried those.

@perseverance: hooray for upping calories and continuing to lose.

Today I chose to come back to the dead lift. Over late winter and early spring I was either - over training my posterior chain and/or not regular with my workouts. The DL, which I love, has always baffled me in that I was maxed out at like... 155-ish? I haven't really being doing them regularly because... squats. I guess.

So today's workout was super duper all around:

Squats - just screwing around to warm up before dead lift so one set each at 45, 95, 115, 135, 155, 175. Then for three reps each: 175, 185, 195 and then TWO HUNDRED FIVE POUNDS y'all!

Ahem, (taps microphone) that's a personal record. Woot! I'm feeling kind of badass because I went for three. squee!

Dead lift - all one set with 5 reps: 55, 65, 96, 115, 135 then for three reps each: 155, 175 followed by 185 for 1

BOOM! I used a mixed grip and I think that was a huge factor.

Accessory work: lying triceps extension @ 40# and 17.5# DB bicep curl for 3x10 each

Then jumped in the pool for some pretty lazy kick board laps
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Really had to drag my butt out for my run tonight (I was supposed to go this morning) but once I was going it was great, 6km in 45:49 so I'm happy with that. Hope everyone had a great weekend!
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Ran 9.4 miles yesterday as part of my training for a half marathon. 9.4 miles is a PR for me so was stoked about that!

Did my SL workout this morning, still cutting out the pull exercises.

Squats, warm-up, then 5x5 @ 110 lbs
    Bench, warm-up, 2x5, 3x4 @70 lbs

Did some good mornings with just the bar and then elliptical.
  • Llamapants86
    Options
    So workout b today.
    Squat 150lbs 3x5 moving passed that mental block finally
    Ohp 52lbs 3x5
    Dl 1x5 170 lbs

Accessories
    Sldl 3x9 100lbs
    Glute bridges 3x10 70lbs

Pretty good way to start the day.
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    @LadyDeadlift: wow!!! Congrats on the PR!!!!! :drinker: I'm really impressed

@Llamapants86: great run! I love those runs when you leave kind of so-so and then you come back and feel amazing because it went so well!

Workout B today for me,

Squats - 5x5 @ 55lbs (kept same weight as last workout as my knee was bugging me last time and I do want to keep the form nice its only the 2nd week!!)
    OH Press - 5x5 @ 35lbs
    Deadlift - 1x5 @ 100lbs

Talking about form, how did you guys mainly learn the movements? Watching form videos? Hiring a trainer? I'm really really doubting my form sometimes but I do watch a lot of form videos recommended by people here or on stronglifts.com's website. I have a gym buddy but we're both starting out (although he did have experience in squats before so he does correct a few things here and there). Thanks for any input :) I am really considering hiring a trainer for a few sessions!!!
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Good morning, lifters! I'm back after some unplanned time away. And none too soon -- I saw a picture of myself from an event yesterday, and, as much as I'd like to blame the poor-fitted white skirt, I've got to keep getting in that weight room if I want to be a US size 6 anytime soon. :laugh:

I'm going to run 5/3/1 through June, and see if I like it. I'm back at maintenance calories during that time, and I hope to see my bench and OHP go up 5-7.5lbs. It's a little weird to start at a lower weight, but I'm excited to progress a little!

This morning was OHP. It should have taken me longer, but my rests were short.

After warm-ups: 40lbs 1x5, 45lbs 1x5, 50lbs 1x5, 30lbs, 1x10 | 1x10 assisted chin-ups. I could barely do these! Going to keep practicing until I get to 3x10
  • perseverance14
    Options
    @Gen2703

I bring my laptop downstairs with me when I lift. I read through the instructions every single time, and I watch the videos over and over as well. Seems monotonous I know, but I find it helps a lot. Eventually I will stop reading/watching, not until I am sure I have it ingrained first.
  • Llamapants86
    Options
    @gen I watched a lot of videos and take a video of myself if things are starting to feel "off". If my hubs is around I'll just get him to watch me to make sure the basics are happening (hitting parallel with squats, keeping back straight etc.)
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    All of you ladies inspire me. I love reading about your progress!

@Gen - My DH used his phone to video me lifting so I can watch my form and compare to the video's I've watched on youtube (Strong lifts, Rippetoe, So You Think You Can...). It helped a lot. And when my weights get heavier, I'll have him do it again.

I missed a work out last week. So Sunday was Workout A

Squat 5X5 at 75lbs. I'm officially squatting more than half my BW!

Bench (sigh) 2 x 5 and time to deload. So now I'm back at the bar weight. I almost had to do the roll of shame at 55lbs in a room full of men. Thankfully, one of them saw me struggling and came to help. Amazingly, I wasn't nearly as embarrassed as I normally would be.

Rows 4 x 5 at 65lbs. I think the "platform" I'm building to lift the bar higher isn't high enough and so I'm having issues. But I HATE having to build those.

It looks like I need to do accessory work to build my upper body. Time to poke around the forums to see what I need to do. **hangs head in shame**
  • beautifullyblessed16
    beautifullyblessed16 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    @Gen2703

I bring my laptop downstairs with me when I lift. I read through the instructions every single time, and I watch the videos over and over as well. Seems monotonous I know, but I find it helps a lot. Eventually I will stop reading/watching, not until I am sure I have it ingrained first.

THIS. I will probably be doing this for a couple more weeks. I am on week 2 as well. Tomorrow will be my fourth workout. Excited!!
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Talking about form, how did you guys mainly learn the movements? Watching form videos? Hiring a trainer? I'm really really doubting my form sometimes but I do watch a lot of form videos recommended by people here or on stronglifts.com's website. I have a gym buddy but we're both starting out (although he did have experience in squats before so he does correct a few things here and there). Thanks for any input :) I am really considering hiring a trainer for a few sessions!!!
    Lots of watching (I like the "So You Think You Can... [squat, deadlift, etc.]" series on YouTube), I own a copy of Starting Strength, and I read way too many powerlifting articles. :blushing:

Practicing with a broomstick and a mirror at home is also a way to prepare for training sessions!
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Awesome tips ladies thank you so much!! I will ask my gym buddy to take my phone and videotape me in our next session and I will definitively compare, and keep watching videos and practice!

:flowerforyou:
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was workout A for me

Squats @ 125lbs
    5x5

Decided to stay at this weight for another lift.

Bench @ 90lbs

3x5 , 2x3

Man the first three REALLY took a lot out of me. I was sweating, heart racing and exhausted by the last two sets. I just couldnt get them up. Third fail at this weight and time to deload.

Rows @ 85lbs
    I was just so exhausted from the bench that this part of the lift was just pathetic.

Have been getting a lot of running in on my off days and doing 20min of elliptical after my lifts. GET OFF YOU DAMN WEIGHT GET OFF!!!!!!
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Last night was day b:

Squats, 1x5 @ 65, 3x5 @ 80, 1x5 @ 65 -- I backed off here to make sure I could hit parallel. My one hip is sore so I tend to kind of pop it out during squats and I need to stop it.

OHP, 5x5 @ 40 (should have been at 45 lb but I couldn't find the other bars so I gave up)

Deadlift, 1x5 @ 110

I ran yesterday, too, so I was tired when I finally got to the gym at 10:30 p.m. At least this time, I had NO ONE trying to give me "helpful" advice.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was workout A:

Squat 45lb 1x5, 65lb 1x3, 85lb 1x3, 105lb 5x5.

Bench press 45lb 1x5, 55lb 1x5, 75lb 1x5, 1x4, 3x5. Repeating that weight next time because I failed at rep 5 on set 2. Grrr.

Barbell row 65lb deloaded for form. 5x5. Spaced my hands a bit farther apart on the bar and suddenly the weight went up much easier. I probably could have done 70lb instead of 65, but I would rather be conservative and get the form down correctly.

Workout B tomorrow!
  • amylahminute
    amylahminute Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm back-posting from 3 days ago. :)

I think I'm going to stay at 105 for my Squat for at least the next 3 workouts because I typically do ATG, and at that weight, I was losing all kinds of depth and some form too.

(I think I've shrunk this down to non-obnoxious size)
    1F651502-C953-46A9-B204-C5A9737DFA32_zpse2aghvfc.jpg

I was supposed to do "A" today, but I'm going to rest and foam roll one more day. My low back seems to be complaining with spasms. :/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It's Monday...not sure how I feel about that...:bigsmile:

@rach Yah I do that too...I workout at home but I suspect if I was in a gym wouldn't matter...I am so loud some days I know I wouldn't be welcome at PF...:laugh:
    @hwillmott always nice to find a good gym...I see you like horses...my husband parents raised and bred appaloosa's(spelling) for years...love them
    @dld Yah for triple diget DL...
    @Fit jeez woman...amazing. I am ever just amazed at your lifts
    @viglet I don't normally take a break I did last time however between rep 4/5...I thought I was gonna fall over if I didn't.
    @krok I am just amazed at the fact you do the snatch I am not sure I will ever attempt that.
    @sure Yah try to up rests even if it's 15-30 secs each set.
    @perseverance if you are losing weight like that definately up calories holy woman...@1900 a day I lost 1/2lb so I am thinking 2100 is my TDEE sounds like yours is even higher. Try this calculation based on the last 3 weeks...Total calories consumed = (pounds lost x 3500)/21 to get an approximation of your current TDEE then try 20% of that...I bet it's about 1900-2000.
    @lady holy wow woman..those squats are amazing and yes DL mixed grip helps a tonne.
    @llama yah and on a Monday even...
    @Gen for me I watched videos (lots of them) even ones where it was "don't do this"...then I did video myself and load them up and posted them here and in the ETP group and I have a weigh lifter friend in Ont he took a look too and everyone gave me pointers etc. I haven't had a personal trainer at all...just the ladies here mainly.
    @cstring congrats on squat weight...before you know it you will be doing BW...:drinker:
    @rps...wow late workout...was it worth it not to have "advice"...

Holy Wall of text over....lots happens over the weekends when I am not around....:bigsmile:

So workout A for me today...

Squats (warmups of course) working weight stayed at 160 3x5 as the last set I found my hips coming up first...and again today...it doesn't happen the first 2 sets...so I am assuming it's because I am tired..I am going to up my rest period to the full 5 mins Friday to see if that helps.

*funny part...my son aka man child was watching me today and here is his quote "Holy F*** mom that's a lot of weight, how the hell are you doing that?" :laugh: I told him it was more than I weigh he was impressed and was gonna try it but I have the pegs set too low for him "he says"....

BP @ 128.5 again due to two failures...first set went great...2nd set was even better...3rd set...not so much. I finally got the bench figured out and on my last set my form was off...and I should have known that on the first rep...and my grip was off...:sad: so it went 5, 5, 4....not sure if I am gonna deload on Friday or try again as I am pretty sure if my grip had been set properly I would have been fine...we will see.

Rows @ 118.5 (on deload) and these were good...I think my form was off on the last set tho so might stay here...even those it was 3x5

And since I got this in early today depending on how the husband is feeling when he gets home might go for a walk or a bike ride later this evening when it cools down.

Hope everyone has a good week.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    @SezxyStef - I averaged out my calories from Thursday to yesterday (I weigh every Thursday morning) and it was 1648). If I lost more than a pound this Thursday morning I am going up to 1700, rinse and repeat till I only lose a pound.

Going to try to lift again Tuesday, I am going to seriously wrap up my finger first though.
  • happyjack1976
    happyjack1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to try and remember to check in here on my lifting days:

Today

Squat: 1x5 45lbs (warm-up) 5x5 75lbs
    Bench Press: 5x5 50lbs (I think I can go up 5 lbs, but a little nervous)
    Barbell Row: 5x5 65lbs