June workout check in: June-o you want to deadlift

Options

Replies

• amylahminute
    amylahminute Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Myles, welcome! those are excellent weights, have you lifted before?

Hi! Thanks for the welcome message.

I am very new to weightlifting. I did have a trainer teach me form on these lifts, but I was mostly a cardio junkie for the last 20 years (lots of running & biking). I surf and did do (mostly Ashtanga power) yoga for the last dozen years, so I guess I'm starting from that base of strength. I'm going to be really cautious about adding weight to the bar, since I am super injury-prone. :P

Yes! Yes! Yay for the weekend!!!! (Workout A to commence in 3...2...1...)
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    @willrun4bagels: thanks so much for the encouragements! :happy:

@SezxyStef: ooh that's really a good tip, I will definitively try taking longer breaks! I do find I sometimes rush to go to the next set. Not good.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hello friends :flowerforyou: New to this group, completed my 7th 5x5 workout this morning

I am taking it nice and slow, esp with squats (running and some horse riding sometimes make it too much to do all the squats and be able to do anything the next day!)

Today
    5x5 squats 60lb
    5x5 bench 60lb (BARELY made it, but felt like a superhero)
    5,4,3,4,1 70lb barbell row, what?? weird, all over the place, thinking of sticking at this weight and focusing on form.

Also, so far ABSOLUTELY NO WOMEN have been back in the heavy weights section with me, even my bff gay workout buddy just peeks around the corner and goes back to the weight machines... leaving gobs of sweat on the bench and grunting just as loud as the guys in there, hilarious, and surprised I don't feel more self conscious.

I've been thinking of doing a small protein shake right before bed on nights before lifts b/c I workout first thing and will NOT get up early to eat, it would take me too long to digest food and I love my late night reading and sleep time too much! Glad to know it works for some of you, will try out this week :)
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    man I've missed so much this week. great workouts everyone!

My new gym is really growing on me. I love that I'm recognized when I come in the door, it never seems to be over run with people, its got lots of weights, and its cheap!

Squats: 115 3x5
    Rows: 70.5 3x5
    Bench: 70.5lbs 3x5

And that marks the first of my deload sets since I recommitted to a cut. This week wasn't too bad, just some slight hunger as I get used to an actual cut and not a "cut" where I actually eat at maintenance haha. Yay weekend!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Super excited. I deadlifted 100# today. 1x5. I am a 5'1" 54 yr old woman. Just had to put that out there. I know I'll never be able to keep up with you bigger much younger ladies but this makes me feel like I can do anything.

Squat 70#5x5
    OHP still sucky @ 35#.

Came home and did a brisk walk. Now I'm gonna settle down with a cheesesteak. :tongue:
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Congrats dldoddy!

Todays workout:

Deadlift
    45x10, 135x5, 185x5, 215x5, 250x5, 285x10 wooo

Ohp
    45x5, 70x5, 80x5, 90x7

Sumo Dead
    135 3x10

Paused Dead
    185 3x5

Single leg sldl
    40 3x5

Supersetx3
    Assisted PUx3
    Ab wheelx8
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    dldoddy, congrats on your deadlift! Awesome!

Fittree...that deadlift...you continue to amaze me!

Was not really happy with my lifts today, I'm tired from working outside so...that's my excuse anyway. :sick:

Week 2 of Strong Curves:

Barbell Hip Thrusts 3x20 75 lbs
    Barbell rows 3x8 75 lbs

Barbell Squats (low): 3x5 120 lbs
    Bench Press: 3x5: 95 lbs

Pull-ups: (2,3,2)

Kettlebell swings, KB pirate ship, side lying leg lift, turkish get-ups, and 20 push ups just for fun. :bigsmile:
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Oh. My. God.
    I am seriously so sore in my shoulders . I guess lifting two days in a row just isn't my thang.

Workout b (I think)

Squats @ 125lb
    5x5
    Thinking I might stay here for another time.

OHP @50lb
    5x5
    Since this was a deload I assume it isn't supposed to feel challenging.

DL @140
    This one gave me a bit of trouble. Do you guys break between each DL? Sometimes I just take a 30 second break to get the blood flowing

@sexystef I will take a look at that video before my next lift! Thanks !!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Back at the weights! Somewhat of a testing week as i start the phase!

First did box jumps (10 attempts max)! 18 inches was like PFFT! 20' was like "hell yeah I got this" stacked a 25lbs plate (2.5 inches I guess) and did 2 jumps. Switched to a 35 bumper plate (3 inches) and made it. Got amped up, videoed myself and broke 24' somewhat easily. Then put up a 10lbser and did it twice. Then my last jump I put a 15lbser, took a deep breath and according to the video BARELY made it. But I did! 26' box jump: GOT!

Then worked up to a 90lbs full snatch. Somewhat missed the first try (it was more of a power snatch, lacked the squat part), and the second one went up and I did stabilize and sink down but it was U.G.L.Y. so I regressed to 87.5 and got a cleaner rep to end out which is what I'm going to base the rest of the phase on. Probably won't make a HUGE difference, but I need to work on that flow.

by this point I was already pretty trashed but I got to test my 2RM back squat. 2 weeks ago I hit 175 for 2 so I wanted to beat that. I worked up to it and those 2 reps were grinders! But I wanted to hit BW squat so I added 10lbs, waited til my 12 minutes was almost up and tried. The first rep I grinded out. The second? Couldn't get out of the hole. The best part? I have it on video: me dropping the bar. sitting on the ground, and then rolling out of there in shame. I had to rewatch it and man, it's actually funny to watch xD This is what I get for drinking last night, I guess!

And if that wasn't enough, I got to kick this bad boy to end out the session: 3 rounds for time
    - 10 DB front squats @25
    - 5 Deadlift @ 165
    - 25 push-ups on dumbbells

Time: 11:45

The push-ups had to be broken up in mini sets, and the toughest parts on the DB Front squat was holding the DB in front of me lol. The fun part is, I get to retest this one, exactly, in 2 weeks. Wee!

@viglet You shouldn't break 30 seconds between reps on the deadlift. 5-10 seconds to take a breath or 2 and reset your grip, yeah. 30 secs is more like breaking the set IMO

@fittree You pull a lot of weight! What's your secret? lol
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am in amazement with all you women! I only wish I can lift like you do some day.

I did workout A today;
    Squat- warm up and 90x5x5 Felt good to really work on form.
    Bench- warm up and 59x5x5 felt good, cant wait to hit 60 next time!
    Row - 67x5x5 Last 2 on last set was starting to stand upright more but i looked over to check and wasnt to bad yet, will watch it more next time.
    shoulder shrug - 90x3x8 still easy, definitely will go up another 5 again next time.
    bicep - 25x3x8
    triceps - 18x3x8
    and some ab work.

I ran yesterday for 2 miles and it didn't seem to affect today's workout or maybe it was eating more than normal. I will try another run tomorrow and maybe do 2.5 and see if that is too much. I want to run some but i don't want it to hinder my lifts.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Note to self: never argue with fittree! :laugh:
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Failed at 70lbs for OHP. Bummer! It was only 1 rep again. Oh well, I'll have it next time, gotta be in the right frame of mind.

Squats: warmup, then 5x5 @110 that's 75% of my bw. :)
    OHP: Damn. Warmup, then 5, 5, 4!!!!!, 5, 5 gonna do 4 min rests next time to see if that fixes it
    DL: one warmup set, then 1x5 @155

That was yesterday, plus teaching swim lessons, today was the crossfit class my trainer teaches. Lots of stuff, circuit style.

Toes to bar, goblet alt lunges w/KB, snatch with db, hand release pushups, power cleans, wall balls, box jumps, and row for 50cals. Didn't quite finish the rounds again, but I'm definitely getting stronger and faster.

My asthma has been insane with teaching swim lessons. Partly because my allergies are acting up from being outside so many hours a day, and partly because the chlorine is aggravating it. That being said, it's controlled and I'm still doing what I need to do, but I definitely felt sluggish today.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Omg you guys are too funny.

I'm not really sure my secret to a big deadlift. According to the internets I'm not proportioned perfectly for deadlift. I pull conventional, but I've compared my measurements to guides and they all say that either sumo or conventional would be okay for me since I'm pretty average. :laugh: I realized that for whatever reason I was good at it though so I tend to push myself more on deadlift than say...bench. Which might be bad, but if I have 100lbs on someones deadlift in a meet it doesn't matter if they have 30 lbs on my bench. I always have a goal in mind for either reps or weights, and I do have good form though so there's that. :happy:
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yesteday's workout. I think this is what I did. My writing is really bad when bot wearing my glasses.

Work out B

Deadlifts
    warm-up
    1x5x65, 1x5x85
    working
    3x5x105

Bench Press
    warm-up
    1x5x35
    1x5x45
    working
    5x5x55
    I realized that I was not keeping wrists straight. Once I started doing that things went much better.

Squats
    warm-up
    1x8x55
    1x8x65
    working
    3x8x80

Front squats
    3x5x35

Plus a little bit of work towards goal of doing a pull-up and some core.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    This was a sub par session. My mind just wasn,t right this morning, and my lower back all kinds of sore from getting back to heavy lifts yesterday and possibly that 50 minutes run. I think it's the run xD

Testing 1RM Cleans. I'd pulled 105 for a power clean a month ago so I went pretty aggressive but got stuck on that weight. My hips were just too tight to drop under the bar effectively so I was basically power cleaning it and THEN squatting. I did eventually get it though, it just wasn't pretty. :(

Then went on to 2RM OHP. Worked up to what I thought was going to be a fairly easy 85x2 because i had in mind that I'd failed at doing a 3RM last month at that weight but had gotten 2 clean reps. Failed the second rep and was pretty angry with myself/disappointed. Started to think I'd really done that deload thing all wrong. Got kinda angry, decided to record myself and actually banged out the 2 reps (albeit maybe with a slight knee bend). Then I saw in my notebook my previous 1RM was 85. Facepalm moment right there. Had some time left, decided to try for 87.5, barely got the first rep up, the 2nd wasn't happening today. But hey, I beat my 1RM? I feel like I coulda done more though :/

The conditioning type of sesison today was a 12min EMOTM
    - ODD 3 muscle ups (regressed to false grip recline rows with transition and box supported ring dips) and 3 burpee box jumps (18' box)
    - EVEN 10 pistol squats per leg (regressed to lternating side step up on the 18' box)

I couldn't get 10 reps of the step ups in the minutes but on the last one, hovered around 6-7. I was sweaty by the end but definitely ready to call it in. There are days where it just... I was looking forward to this! :(
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I only got one workout in on Thursday...I was sick for a couple of days and then got in my one workout Thursday. Then I managed to cut my middle finger on my left hand across the fingertip diagonally on the inside (don't ask me how I did that, I had my fingers curled and I don't really know). May attempt to lift tomorrow, have to see how it goes. My Doctor put crazy glue for fingers on it and I have some new skin stuff if I need to fix it up, but it already broke open on the side once and I had to fix that, when it breaks open it bleeds like crazy. This is the first day I can stand to type for any length of time. I would be afraid to try deadlifts, curls or rows right now, and even though I can probably squat and bench press since it goes down by your wrist, I would rather let it heal more first...especially since with my setup I do a lot of moving weights around.

Workout A (Thurs)

squats 5 X 5 - 125

upgright rows 5 X 1 - 75

overhead press 5 x 5 - 55

reverse 5 x 5 - 55

underhand bicep curls 5 x 5 - 80

flys 5 x 5 - 40

Dumbbell side bend - 5 x 10 - 40

Dumbbell side lateral bend - 5 x 5 - 40
  • perseverance14
    Options
    My Doctor told me to eat more since I am having stupid accidents for no apparent reason. I was averaging 1600, so I ate 1800 Thursday, maybe will try that another day or 2 this week and see how that goes. So far my weight trend is still down (about 1/2 lb.) since Thursday.
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    @perseverance, definitely let that hand heal up! Hope the eating more helps out, I had to up my calories too. I'm still losing. :) Are you doing TDEE?

Today is a TOTAL REST DAY. All I'm doing today is drinking beer and watching a soccer game. There MAY be jumping involved if Galaxy scores, but I will make sure to limit it to 5 jumps. 7 if the goal was amazing. ;)

Tomorrow I have a 30 min session with my trainer and 6 hours and 15 mins in the pool. That is almost double the time in the pool as last week. 2,250 calories AIN'T gonna cut it this week. I barely made it last week on that. I am thinking of going up at least 250 more and maybe even 500. I'd rather make it through the week than lose weight at this point. I don't want to stop lifting so I just need to eat like I'm gaining.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    @perseverance, definitely let that hand heal up! Hope the eating more helps out, I had to up my calories too. I'm still losing. :) Are you doing TDEE?

Today is a TOTAL REST DAY. All I'm doing today is drinking beer and watching a soccer game. There MAY be jumping involved if Galaxy scores, but I will make sure to limit it to 5 jumps. 7 if the goal was amazing. ;)

Tomorrow I have a 30 min session with my trainer and 6 hours and 15 mins in the pool. That is almost double the time in the pool as last week. 2,250 calories AIN'T gonna cut it this week. I barely made it last week on that. I am thinking of going up at least 250 more and maybe even 500. I'd rather make it through the week than lose weight at this point. I don't want to stop lifting so I just need to eat like I'm gaining.
    Yes, I am doing TDEE -20%...which for me is 1600. Last week I lost 2.8, since Thursday morning when I weighed I lost another .05. That does seem to be a bit fast, maybe I need to switch to TDEE -15%.

My Doctor seemed to think my feeling sick and my accident were both from not eating enough. I think being sick was from my scaling Tuesday, that can unleash bacteria and I know I had a sore in my mouth, even thought about changing the appointment because of that, have the second half appointment Thursday...thankfully it is only about every 10 years, and I quit smoking 10 years ago so my scalings don't really hurt at all, I remember they used to hurt a lot when I was a smoker.

That said, my Doctor also doesn't agree with my target weight (130), I am 17.5 lbs. away from that now. She thinks I should go down to my high school weight (120). Right now I am tending to agree with her just because my body fat still isn't under 30 yet, seems like it might take going to my high school weight to get the body fat % I want (not much over 20).
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    I was doing TDEE -10% which I was feeling good on.