June workout check in: June-o you want to deadlift

Options

Replies

• coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm still having pain issues with my right elbow, so pull lifts are out, and I decided to drop back to 2 days per week lifting until it fully heals.

Squat: extra warmup sets at 95 lbs to make up for cutting the deadlift out today.
    5x5 105
    OHP: 5x5 45. Every time I get to 55 lbs, I fail 3 times and it drops me back to 45. 45 felt pretty easy today, I probably could have jumped up to 50, but decided to stick with 45.
    I did lunges, side lunges, and reverse lunges and good mornings with the bar as accessory work.
    Cardio: 1 hour on the elliptical machine while I watched some Orphan Black on my iPad.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    If anyone has any genius methods for getting a loaded barbell onto your hips for the glute bridge or hip thrust, I'm all ears! It will be nice when I'm up to the big plates but for now it's extremely awkward.

I wish I did have a better method - I'm sure I look ridiculous wriggling and sliding around to get the loaded bar on me!

I put mine up on plates like I do for rows and DL's then wiggle under, so glad I work out at home with just the kids and my hubby to laugh at me
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Today was ICF workout B for me. I did:

Squats 3x5x110 with no pain behind my left knee. Yay!
    Deadlift 1x5x145 I ran out of space on my phone while I was trying to record this so I have no idea how my form looked. I was already planning on repeating this weight anyway.
    OHP 3x3x70 Dh wasn't here to spot me today so I didn't try to push for that fourth rep like I usually would.
    Barbell row -10% 8,5,5x70 I didn't realize until after my first set that I was supposed to do 3x5 and not 2x8. Oops.
    Close grip bench press 2x8x45 I'm just going to start with the bar with all of these accessory lifts until I feel like I know what I am doing.
    Incline press 2x8x10 each side. I am really hoping to get adjustable dumbbells soon.
    Cable crunch 2x8 with tower 200 resistance bands
    Hip thrust 2x8x45 I put the bar in front of me on the floor while sitting on the bench and just lift the bar onto my lap and slide down the side of the bench. I figure it's fine to do it this way because once I get to 65# I have 10# bumper plates I can use so I can start sliding under. It is also way easier than trying to wiggle under the bar like I did last week.
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I did a modified ICF workout A for today. Squats 5x5x105, might need repeating or only go up 1 lb next time. Gotta love fractionals. Bench was 5x5x58 and rows were 5x5x66, shoulder shrug 3x8x85, triceps 3x8x15, biceps 3x8x23 with some crunches afterwards.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    oh boy, my first day at the sweet lifting focused gym! I think I got some looks when I walked in for being new (and possibly because I'm a girl haha) but there was just the right amount of people there that I wasn't waiting for things and got in and out in 45 minutes which is just what I needed what stuff to do at home. So I think I like my hole in the wall "new" gym!

Squats: 140lbs 5,5,3
    OHP: 56 lbs 5,4,3
    DL: dropped to 135 (from 170) 1x5

As you can tell I struggled and I know that because I have been forcing myself to actually do a cut for once. So I deloaded deadlifts after struggling with squats and ohp once I realized that. Will officially deload everything next time. It'll give me time to focus on form as well.

Finished with some assisted pull ups.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Got a bad sunburn the last week of May and didn't make it for my 5x5's. Back to it this week.

Today was A Day.

Squat - Warmup + 5x5's at 95 lbs.
    Bench - Warmup + 5x5's at 70 lbs.
    Row - Warmup + 5x5's at 70 lbs.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I started June the right way... hungover because.... I got engaged on Saturday night (5/31)!!!!!!! We spent the rest of the night at the resort drinking and dancing like fools (no one at the resort knew us, so why not?). I skipped the gym this morning in favor of 2 extra hours of sleep, but tomorrow is workout A again. Tomorrow also starts the 5th week that I've been doing SL.

ETA: I'm glad the majority of everyone else was also hungover yesterday LOL I was just reading some of the other comments. :drinker:

Congratulations willrunforbagels!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Idk how I just skimmed over that the first time, but congrats Willrunforbagels!!!! Why isn't there a rice throwing emoticon?!

Today I did Bench+Yoga

Bench
    45x5. 65x5, 85x5, 105x5, 115x8

Superset x5
    30# DB Benchx10
    30# DB Row x10

Superset x3
    15# Curl x 10
    60# Rope pushdown x10

Yoga. Even holding downward dog after the above is a challenge. :laugh:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I haven't really been keeping up with posting my workouts, but I'm on week 5 of Strong Curves and once again getting used to the flow of things since the exercises mix up every 4 weeks. So today was workout B and it contained push presses. Just after knocking my jaw with the bar during a bar only practice set, I thought about Krok and when she said she chipped a tooth doing something similar. It definitely took me a few reps to get the motion down. All the other lifts are going well and it seems like the massive 20 rep sets are gone from the bigger lifts. But the switch has caused some DOMS and I agree with Erin that trying to figure out what weights to start with for all these new moves and rep ranges kind of sucks. I was doing 105 lbs for 20 reps on hip thrusts by the end of the last 4 weeks, but now it is just 3-8 reps so I bumped up to 135, but I was able to get all 8 for 3 sets and still had some in the tank. So it may be a fast progression on those.

As for the getting the bar set for hip thrusts/glute bridges, if you are doing it at home, invest in a set of 10 lb bumper plates. If you are at the gym, see if they will get a set or bring in your own. Might look odd, but having those make it SOOOO much easier to get under the bar. I also recommend looking on Amazon for the "Squat Sponge" as it has saved me from bruising every time I do glute bridges or hip thrusts.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Crappy workout. Squat rack was taken (and the lady that was using it pissed me off, I'll spare you the details) so I could only do my squats after everything else. I was pretty tired at that point and I hadn't slept a lot so I just deloaded and did 3x8. Meh

Bench 35kg 5,5,4,4,2
    Row 32.5kg 4,3,4,4,4 (meh)
    Squat 50kg 3x8

Lat.raise 4kg 3x8 easy
    Single arm rows 8kg 3x8 easy

1 mile 1% incline 10:00

I hope to do better next Friday!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Well, I was apparently ambitious (overly so, as per usual) with my workout yesterday. I only managed 5 rounds of the barbell complex:
    Barbell Complex - 5 Rounds @ 55lbs
    5x Bi curls
    5x 1-leg straight DL’s
    5x Clean & OHP
    5x Squats
    5x Pendlay Rows
    5x Alternating lunges
    5x Upright rows
    5x Overhead tricep extensions
    5x Wide pushups
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I haven't really been keeping up with posting my workouts, but I'm on week 5 of Strong Curves and once again getting used to the flow of things since the exercises mix up every 4 weeks. So today was workout B and it contained push presses. Just after knocking my jaw with the bar during a bar only practice set, I thought about Krok and when she said she chipped a tooth doing something similar. It definitely took me a few reps to get the motion down.

Haha, it's good to know what sticks with people are the tales of my going Krash with equipment xD (That bruise on my shin is still not fully healed, btw xD)

Last gym day of the deload week! Believe it or not, I've been taking it "easy" with these. It was just rough to have them all bunched together. 4 workouts in 5 days + runs is a lot. But on the upside I get 2 days now to fully recover before the next phase of the program.

Paused Squats (A good 2-3 count down there on each rep, explosive as possible on the way up)
    95x5
    115x5
    125x3
    135x3
    135x3

Front rack barbell lunge
    35x4x8 (wasn't going to do 8x8 on these, seriously, I'm deloading FFS!), 1 min rest between sets

Then on to Muscle up skill work
    3x30s false grip hollow hangs. There are harder than regular hangs, tought on the wrists and grip in general!

3x15 false grip "babymakers" (they're basically hip thrusts with your hands in rings and sitting on the floor. A lot tougher than they sounded!)

4 rounds of
    - 25 BW squats
    - assisted ring dips (I got like 5 per round)
    - 15 hollow rocks

And ended this awesome session with 30 burpees for time: 3:08. Next time I do this one, I'm going sub 3 minutes! Book it!

@katro 5 rounds of that even at 55lbs is nothing to feel ashamed of! O_o

And shoot, i have so many videos that I'd like to put up and I don't have tiiime. Maybe this weekend D:
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!! We've already set a date... getting married 4 months from today with only immediate family members present. I want no stress or drama or family arguments, just a quiet dinner somewhere. And cake. Cake would be good.

Now... trying to do some math to see how much I could be potentially lifting in all of the SL lifts by the time October 4th rolls around :laugh: I'll be upping squats to 100 lbs tomorrow, deadlift will be 145 lbs tomorrow.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!! We've already set a date... getting married 4 months from today with only immediate family members present. I want no stress or drama or family arguments, just a quiet dinner somewhere. And cake. Cake would be good.

Smart! I did a small wedding and I planned it all myself so I would have to deal with other people's ****. If I had to do it again, I'd listen when my husband pushed to go on a cruise and get married on the boat. :tongue:

No weight workouts this week for me yet. I tried B day last night, but after my rowing warmup, I felt kind of light-headed and barfy so I skipped it. Ate a bit of chocolate when I got home and mowed the lawn and was fine. So trying B day again today.
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Thats the best way to do it! My first one was the whole deal cuz the MIL from hell happened. Second wedding to the greatest man was what we wanted. Small, in a park, beautiful June day and rode off on the Harley. :happy:

I was going to do a short run this morning but couldn't get moving. So maybe ill take the kids for a walk later or run when the little one naps... maybe..
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Congratulations will run 4 bagels! I've been engaged for a year and we still haven't managed to set and keep a date...
    Workout b today
    Squat 145 3x5
    Ohp 52 5/5/4 just couldn't get that last one up
    Dl 170 1x4
    I thought it was going good other than having some brain trouble (took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to load my bar for ohp, math is hard at 6am, and during warmups for squat I forgot to load one side) then I went to my sldl and arg I just had nothing left.

Sldl 1x8 120lbs deloaded to 100lbs thinking I would just so a couple more reps each side but ended up just 7 and 6
    Glute Bridge 3x8 70lbs at least I ended on a good note.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Ohh congrats, it sounds like a wonderful plan :love: :heart: :drinker: :drinker:
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I know I need to invest in some bumper plates, that would help with the hip thrust. Hopefully I'll be using the 45's before too long too! :) I did get the Hampton bar pad after the first session wanting to die with the barbell straight on my hips. :sad:

Thanks for the helpful tips, ladies, you're the best!:flowerforyou:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I know I need to invest in some bumper plates, that would help with the hip thrust. Hopefully I'll be using the 45's before too long too! :) I did get the Hampton bar pad after the first session wanting to die with the barbell straight on my hips. :sad:

Thanks for the helpful tips, ladies, you're the best!:flowerforyou:

Week 5 the reps for hip thrust drop to 3-8 so I was able to move up to 135 lbs and I could have gone heavier. So it will depend on where you get to with the 20 rep sets weight wise, but starting week 5 you will probably be at the big plates.
  • CoadyMarie
    CoadyMarie Posts: 165
    Options
    Well I didn't end up doing my bench and rows yesterday, so I skipped right to workout B

Squats: 5x5 55 lbs. Form is getting a lot better, next time I am going to try without the plates under my heels, even though I still need to do a lot of work on ankle mobility.

OHP 5x5 40 lbs.

Deadlift 3x5 125 lbs