June workout check in: June-o you want to deadlift

Options

Replies

• viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am terrible with keeping up with this thread! But it sounds like there's been some drinking and some engagements and some new programs being started! Congrats to all of you (including you hungover ones... im jelly).

Last night I did workout B

Squat
    135lbs
    Honestly, I blame the first fail on my cat. She was stuck and kept meowing and I was so distracted. Either way, it was my third fail on this one so I have to deload.

OHP
    60lbs
    Pathetic. And another third fail. So deload for this one too.

DL
    140lbs
    Felt great.

In all honestly, the fails are my fault. I haven't really been following the program properly in May. I only lifted twice a week instead of three. I am hoping that June will give me the time I need to get my three lifts in.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    ...I thought it was going good other than having some brain trouble (took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to load my bar for ohp, math is hard at 6am, and during warmups for squat I forgot to load one side) ...

Haha! I have the same problem, even in the middle of the day! I always use the calculator in my phone (subtract 45lbs, divide by 2). :wink: It's hard to think coherently sometimes after squats.
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    ...I thought it was going good other than having some brain trouble (took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to load my bar for ohp, math is hard at 6am, and during warmups for squat I forgot to load one side) ...

Haha! I have the same problem, even in the middle of the day! I always use the calculator in my phone (subtract 45lbs, divide by 2). :wink: It's hard to think coherently sometimes after squats.

I don't feel so stupid now! Hehe I use my phone to figure it out every time.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day ladies...Workout A for me today...

Monday after lifting I did go for a 5.5mile bike ride...yesterday did a 2.5 mile walk...husband wasn't with me so it was a bit brisk.

Not sure I will get any cardio in today it's raining atm and husband worked night shift last night....

@dapunks I got on my scale with mine to find out how much it weighed.
    @willrun that's what we did too...except my family isn't small...9 kids all married with kids and my husbands side is pretty big too..I think we ended up with about 100 people...but it was fun and even with all those "family" it was intimate. We had a bbq at our house before the ceremony and a dance afterward which was the best.

I don't do glute bridges or hip thrusts...yet...tell me the benefits please....

@llama..I get the math thing for sure the SL app tells you what to load on a 45lb bar which is a good thing...

So for me today I finally figured out my leans on my squats...:drinker: ...you know how when you are driving you have a tendeancy to drive where you are looking...that's me squatting..if I keep my eyes down that's where I want to go..so I picked a spot on the wall and kept my eyes there...

Squats @ 160 today 3x5, did my warmups differently too...1x5 bar, 2x5@ 65, 2x3@85, 1x3@115

Bench @ 128.5 today (bad barbell math last time forgot my collars are 3.5lbs not 2.5) 1x5, 1x4, 1x2...one more than last time. I can see me deloading this one...which is fine gives me time to get used to this new bench..it's higher and my grip is wider...although it's a nice bench and I like it a lot will take some getting used to.

Rows @ 115 stayed there just to make sure my form was good and I am exceptionally happy with them today so going to move up to 118.5 next time.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Workout B for me today. I love this one so much more than A, even though it has the dreaded OHP haha

Squats: warm up, 5x5@90
    OHP: 5x3@50
    DL: warm up, 1x5@90

Happy hump day ladies~
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    @ Stef Glute bridges and hip thrusts give you dat *kitten*! It's also good for deadlift lockout.

Yeah I always used to use my phone. After about a year I finally could do it in my head, although I still mess up sometimes. Heavy squats do indeed make it hard to think.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Been too tired to come in and mess around on the forums. These swim lessons are killing me.

Today was:
    Squats: warmups and 5x5 @105 lbs
    Bench: warmups and 5x5 @75 lbs, bench felt great, one of my stronger lifts I'm thinking
    Row: no warmup yet, 5/5/5/5/3, got almost all @95 lbs, but last couple reps weren't to chest so I didn't count them

After that, I taught swim lessons from 11-5:45. half of it is drive time, total of like 3 hours 15 mins in the pool.

Tired.

Tired.

Tired. And very hungry.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    @Stef, hip thrusts are a lot about aesthetics, but can improve your squat and deadlift too. My poor bum has gotten a little flat since cutting my squats back to once a week for 5/3/1 and getting to my goal weight. Not cool!

@suremeansyes, no wonder you are tired! That is a long day of teaching swim!

Here's my Strong Curves workout from last night. My kids kept interrupting & irritating me but I persevered!

Single leg elevated hip thrust (bodyweight) 3x20
    Chin-ups 3x5 (no assistance, and these went well! Getting stronger!)

Step-ups with dumbbells (I use plates because lack of dumbbells) 20 lbs, 3x10
    Barbell OHP: 70 lbs, 3x8

Back extension 1x12
    Seated Band abduction 1x20
    Straight leg sit-up 1x20
    Side lying extension 1x12

Haven't had time for much cardio lately. I did a bunch of gardening which burns a lot of calories and today will be working in my mom's vineyard which should be a good workout too!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Good to know about the hip thrusts etc as I am considering moving to 5/3/1 this fall...

Squatting 3x a week has kept my bum pretty round thank goodness but will definately try these out as extras if I do switch.
  • ketoandbarbell
    Options
    I am going to have to Google a few of these lifts to know what you all are doing.

@Erin Those darn kids, lol I have to do it when they are still in bed.

@suremeansyes I am loving your bench!

@willrun4bagel That is a great day to get married. My parents did on that date 55 years ago this fall.

I might have to start doing some hip thrusts, my back side got really flat.

I got my rack moved to a semi permanent spot last night and i have my fun house mirror set up on the side to look at how deep i go.

Squatted 105x5x5 again(3rd time), those are *****es! I tried the no shoes, thanks to another post yesterday and that made me feel like i was using the hamstrings and glutes a lot more. Thanks for that ladies! Is it normal to sit at a weight for awhile? I know i cant move it up by 5, hell, today was still hard and it was the 3 rd time doing 105. should i keep at it or back off a few lbs?
    OHP 48x5x5, last one almost didn't make it up
    dead lift 135x1x5 again(2nd time) Another one that i know i cant add 10 for.
    close handed bench 45x3x8 These were easier than last time, will add more next time.
    barbell row 60x5x5 Also easier than last time
    bicep curl 23x3x8 Waiting to get a curl bar for this. Just using plates for now. :(
    some ab work.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    @massage depending on how your squat form is I would suggest deloading a bit just so that you can feel really comfortable. Once you get the form down you can push yourself a little more, remember right now your glutes and hamstrings are not used to that kind of weight.

Hubs is of to work so I couldn't run this morning. Did a t25 workout instead. My knees still don't like all that jumping so I had to modify quite a bit. And my son decided that my daughter needed to be up early so the last half was very interrupted. I think I might have to go for a run or something later today.
  • Katterin227
    Katterin227 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Had to wait a long time for a squat rack last night, and then my daughter complained that she was in the gym child care for too long. I'm still watching Craigslist for good deals, kicking myself that I didn't jump on a possibility I saw earlier in the week that has been taken down since...but I still have to figure out where to put it all, anyway, and how to transport it.

Anyway, yesterday was workout A:

Squats 5x5 @ 70. I think my form is slipping again, will stick with this weight next time. I'm still trying to figure out the best stance and working on getting all the way down for every rep.

Bench 5x5 @ 65. I love bench press, it's by far my favorite exercise in the program. I realized that I wasn't completing the last rep on all my sets - instead of going all the way up, and then racking the bar, I caught myself only lifting high enough to get the bar in the supports. It's most of the way up, but not a complete rep, so I made sure to finish each one after I realized I was doing it.

Row 5x5 @ 77.5. And I hate rows. I actually tried a set at 80, but it was a disaster and I had brought my fractional plates, so I used them for the first time. I think I need to take a step or two back on these and figure out the form, though.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Great lifting ladies! OMG is it Friday yet?

I did squats and bench last night, since I didn't get my squats in on Monday, due to helping my friend move.

Bench:
    5 x 45 pounds
    5 x 60 pounds
    3 x 70 pounds
    5 x 95 pounds
    3 x 100 pounds
    1 x 110 pounds-I got it, but I used a spotter and he was touching the bar, so I can't tell if it was me or him :explode: Either way, I'll need to repeat this weight next month, since I missed reps last week.

I went to the coed meathead gym for the first time last night, and it turns out that their bench presses are different than the ones at the women's only, they have 3 pins for placing the bar, and the middle one seems to work the best for me.

Squat:
    5 x 80 pounds
    5 x 95 pounds
    3 x 115 pounds
    5 x 145 pounds
    3 x 165 pounds
    1 x 185 pounds-Strangely enough, the 165 felt heavier than the 185 lol.

Assistance Work:
    Unassisted Dips AMRAP, I got 5, 6, 6, which is one more than last time.
    Assisted Pullups-3 x 10 @ 45 pounds supported, I got 5, 5, 5
    Box Jumps: 8 sets of 10 jumps with 10 sec rest in between. These are starting to get a bit easier.

I ran out of time yesterday, but I plan on trying Krok's kettlebell torture session on Friday :bigsmile:

Speaking of math, I had a duh moment last night too. I was trying to find the 5 pound weights (I'd never been to this particular gym before), and I knew I'd used them for my bench, but everything I read was wrong. One of the guys asked me what I was looking for, and he pointed out the 5's already on the power cage I was using. Turns out I was reading the kg's, not the pounds...
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    @massage I'd say try it out. If you hit the 5x5 on your third try, program says move forward. :) Were you hitting parallel on your way down? If so, move on. If not, deload. Anyway, just my thoughts!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    We'll be hitting the road in about an hour for our long weekend to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary! We're just heading up to Wisconsin (abour a 4 hour drive) to a cabin and we're bringing the dog, too. Anyway, got in my last lifts for a few days; taking a break from cutting and lifting until Wednesday next week.

Modified SL:
    Bench - 3x10 @ 75lbs (will go up in weight next time)
    Bi curls - 3x10 @ 25lbs (want to do 3x10 once or twice more before increasing weight)
    Squats - 3x10 @ 115lbs (will go up in weight next time)
    Upright rows - 3x9 @ 55lbs (need to stay here for a little while)
    Reverse lunges - 3x10/side @ 55lbs (will go up in weight next time)
    Rows - 3x10 @ 55lbs (will go up in weight next time)
    Side planks - 3x30 sec/side

Also, last night I had a late snack of a protein bar & cheese then lifted this morning without eating or drinking anything prior. I think it was llamapants that mentioned doing this? GENIUS! I felt fantastic!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Also, last night I had a late snack of a protein bar & cheese then lifted this morning without eating or drinking anything prior. I think it was llamapants that mentioned doing this? GENIUS! I felt fantastic!

Oh! Another convert! =D

You guys are killing it. I'm finding it hard to tell myself no gym tomorrow. I just wanna get back into it! Did go for a nice 2.5 miles run this AM before work. 25m10s ! :( So close! So, so close!
  • ketoandbarbell
    Options
    @massage depending on how your squat form is I would suggest deloading a bit just so that you can feel really comfortable. Once you get the form down you can push yourself a little more, remember right now your glutes and hamstrings are not used to that kind of weight.

I do get parallel for most if not all. I don't turn to look for all of them but every few i do. I did get all 5x5 but i woke my husband up with some grunting to get the last one up and then he heard it hit the rack when i was done. Opps, hehe it was heavy.

@krokador What is this late night snack and lifting in the morning? I get up at 5 am to lift or it wont get done. Wondering if i need to eat something before or the night before that would be helpful. Thanks.
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

@krokador What is this late night snack and lifting in the morning? I get up at 5 am to lift or it wont get done. Wondering if i need to eat something before or the night before that would be helpful. Thanks.

I am also interested in hearing about this, as I hit the gym at 5am and found myself too weak with out breaking my fast, but I don't want to continue drinking a full protein shake before I go either.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I find that early morning lifting feels less strenuous to me when I have a snack later on before bed. Whether it be gelato, cheese, a protein shake, some yogurt, just any food in general seems to help.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Pretty sure I'm not the only one who does this, but here's my reasoning behind it.

I tend to stick to a 16:8 (ish) Intermittent Fasting schedule now, mostly because when I ate 5-6 tiny meals a day I would find myself waking up at 2AM STARVING. A lot of experimentation has led me to figure out if I have a sizeable snack shortly before hitting the hay, I don't have that problem (thus: better quality sleep!). I don't know if it really does affect my workout other than the fact that if I DO eat shortly before, I feel sluggish, so I'd rather go on an empty stomach.

I think there's a scientific explanation behind this (carb backloading? Not too sure) but in my case it's really just going off of how I feel. Lotsa carbs the night before a workout = awesome lifting. Cottage cheese, protein powder, peanut butter and some fruits before bed = better sleep. Workout on an empty stomach = no swooshing around my belly and more energy. And working out at night = sleeplessness and restlessness. I just put it all together and, while everyone is different, I'm a bit bias towards the method haha.

Hope that explains it!