June workout check in: June-o you want to deadlift

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Well it was an interesting weekend...after my DL on Friday night my butt was sore...sore...sore...took advil on Saturday during the canoe trip but "drank" too...hehe...

@Fit nice OHP numer triple digets
    @juli I am sure the pics will show a difference for sure...will you be posting them to the group progress thread?
    @sure...I am afraid of that too...so trying to keep them pumiced off and using chalk now too....
    @sure and krok had to google "pistols"...my husband had me try those...a no go...my sister can...but I do have a weak core and I assume that is where a lot of that comes from? correct if wrong
    @rugby I did have a good time till we stopped at "tequilla island"...after that it's a bit fuzzy...till I fell out of the canoe while it was on shore and hit the water...:laugh: I was not fuzzy after that...water was a bit "chilled"

So workout A for me today

Squats @ 145 3x7...working up to 8 then up the weight then repeat.
    Bench @ 130lbs nailed those...might stay here just for form and make sure I have them nailed.
    Rows @ 120lbs stayed for form but moving up on Friday.

I did try something the other day that did make me realize my core is weak even with all this lifting so gonna start some core work on my off days from lifting. I will be visiting the crazy core ladies workout thread and see what I can get from that...

Any suggestions for "weighted" exercises for core?
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    @massage, where do you place the bar when you squat? If it's high bar, it's going to work your quads more than your PC, but the lower the bar is, the more you lean forward, and the more your PC is engaged.

Thanks for the reply. It is a low bar, i can feel it on the spine of scapula and if i try to put it lower it will fall down my back.I lean forward also, need to work on hip flexibility. Since my last pregnancy my hips have been really bad with that.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Haven't posted here in a while (well, feels like a while)!

Saturday's workout (6/21):
    3x10 - Squats @ 120
    5,5,6 - Bench Press @ 80
    3x10 - Upright rows @ 55
    3x8 - Split squats @ 70
    10,8,8 - Push Press @ 60

Man was I exhausted after that! Probably because I had the beach on my mind. The Warren Dunes in Michigan are awesome! Much better than the Indiana Dunes. Much cleaner. I laid out on the beach and we climbed to the top of one of the dunes. Then I got super sun burnt, but only on the backs of my thighs, the back of one calf (not both), and my back but only up to my shoulder blades (nothing higher). It hurts. A lot. I will have some ridiculous tan pattern within a few weeks though!

Today's workout - Barbell work at home:
    3x10 Deadlifts @ 120
    3x10 Good Mornings @ 45
    10x Bi curls @ 50
    12x OHP @ 50
    14x Bent over rows @ 50
    16x Mountain climbers @ BW
    10x Marching Bench dips @ BW
    12x Pushups - BW
    14x Alternating lunges @ 50
    20x Box Squats @ 50
    10x upright rows @ 45lbs
    10x step ups @ BW
    10x windmills @ BW
    10x sumo squat w/ knee up @ BW
    20x jumping jacks

I managed 30 minutes of the above before the band of my sports bra started rubbing on my sunburnt back and I couldn't take it anymore. Still a good workout!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    So I got drunk on Saturday. First time since my hubs and I started trying for our daughter (about 2 years now). I then ate all the food. It's the third weekend in a row that my weekend eating has erased my deficit for the week. Gotta get mah stuff in order there.
    Workout b
    Squat 165 5/5/4 third fail so deload time
    Ohp 54 5/4/4
    Dl 180 1x3 another 3rd fail so deload

Accessories
    Sldl 3x10 110lbs
    Glute bridges 3x10 90lbs

Felt pretty good even with all the fails. I think it is just the joy of listening to music. One of the joys of my husband working out of town.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    @sure and krok had to google "pistols"...my husband had me try those...a no go...my sister can...but I do have a weak core and I assume that is where a lot of that comes from? correct if wrong

My core isn't the greatest either and I can do them. lol

For me, definitely feel it in the quads.
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    Today I worked with my trainer, I missed my SL I was hoping to do yesterday. I needed a day off, the USA game was on, and then after the game I was totally drunk and in no way was I able to put a barbell on my back or over my head. lol

Today with Samson I did 30ish pound KB swings, butterfly situps with a medicine ball, hand release pushups, 15lb dumbbell thrusters and pistol squats. I got in 5 rounds doing 10 reps of each. We still had a bit of time left at the end, so he had me do 30 burpee box jumps (using a tire) for time. But I don't know the effing time I did them in because I couldn't have cared less about it when I was done. lol

I ran a mile before my workout, and a mile after, intervals.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hey, all! Today's workout: squat 5x5 @ 80# with a set of 5 push ups in between each set.
    Bench press 5x5 @65 #.
    Rows 2x5 @65. I still fear for my back on these so did some single arm DB rows.
    Skull crushers for my flabby bingo arms.
    Goblet squats 2x5 @ 16kg.
    Abs, assisted chin ups and dips.
    Came home and did a brisk walk.

I know my weights aren't impressive, but I feel like a little beast doing them. :bigsmile:

Gonna Google pistols now.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I did try something the other day that did make me realize my core is weak even with all this lifting so gonna start some core work on my off days from lifting. I will be visiting the crazy core ladies workout thread and see what I can get from that...

Any suggestions for "weighted" exercises for core?

@stef - I do weighted planks with a barbell plate on my back. You'll have to fiddle with the placement of the plate to find where works your core the most once you get into plank position. You can also do crunches or sit ups with a resistance band or oblique side bends while holding a plate. Or if you want to make it more of a full-body movement with core work, you can do walking lunges with oblique twists while holding a plate.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Well, I see there's been lots of drinking going on again in here. I did a little myself this past weekend at a friend's pool party...it's so hard to be good when it's summer. Hope you're all recovered and back to it!

Got my workout in last night, but it was blah to say the least.

squats - 4,5,4 at 145 pounds. This was totally weird. 140 felt easy and I did it with no problem, but those added five pounds kicked my *kitten* (literally!).
    bench - 3,4,3 at 110 pounds. Hello roll of shame on that last set...:grumble: Epic fail.
    rows - 4,5,5 at 105 pounds.

Did ab and accessory stuff in between sets, then ran on the mill. Finally broke through that 8-minute mile pace for some of it. Wanted to try skull crushers but totally forgot until afterward when I was already in the shower. D'oh. And oh yeah, pistol squats too. What a wicked looking thing to try some day.... Have a great week everybody!
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Drinking? I had a drink every night the last few nights -- woke up feeling relaxed and happy :drinker:

Squats today. This was week 3 of Wendler's and I was supposed to go up to 165lbs, but I chickened out after my last warm up at 160lbs. Going back to 3x5 after week 4.

I wanted to do 5x10 @ 90lbs, but no go. My workout partner was done and she wanted to leave. :grumble:

How should I politely tell her I don't want to drive with her anymore? I like working out with her for the most part, but our schedules are different, and I don't like waiting around for her and vise versa. I was thinking of maybe biking to the gym? I'm not an experienced biker and it would involve going on the main roads in town.
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    AHHHHH. :D

Big plates on my squats. Got 5x5 @135. OHP again made me its plaything @75lbs and I got 4/4/4/3/3, fail it again next time and it'll be a deload. No problem though, if I deload I am going to try for 6-8 reps on those sets to work my way back up. Last, but not least, didn't fail any of my DL @175...even after 2 warmup sets.

So I'm feeling pretty good today. I have less swim lessons these next couple weeks, dropping the calories back down.
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    How should I politely tell her I don't want to drive with her anymore? I like working out with her for the most part, but our schedules are different, and I don't like waiting around for her and vise versa. I was thinking of maybe biking to the gym? I'm not an experienced biker and it would involve going on the main roads in town.

"I love to work out with you, but our schedules are different...maybe we can meet up at the gym? It might make it easier for those days where I have to stay longer, or you have to stay longer. Also, I'm thinking of taking up biking to the gym!"

What you said in your post was good, I'd say. :)
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options

"I love to work out with you, but our schedules are different...maybe we can meet up at the gym? It might make it easier for those days where I have to stay longer, or you have to stay longer. Also, I'm thinking of taking up biking to the gym!"

What you said in your post was good, I'd say. :)
    Why didn't I think of that... lol, I'll try being straight-forward!
    I know I'm often her motivation to get up and workout, and I don't want her to feel like I'm dumping her or anything. But she's also pretty sensible, so hopefully she'll continue to get up if she knows I'll be meeting her.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Big plates on my squats. Got 5x5 @135.

I got to use big plates on my squats yesterday morning... isn't it an awesome feeling?!? Your OHP is impressive!
  • suremeansyes
    Options

Big plates on my squats. Got 5x5 @135.

I got to use big plates on my squats yesterday morning... isn't it an awesome feeling?!? Your OHP is impressive!

Thank you! I love how much confidence and swagger SL can give a girl. ;)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Cardio day for me. I mowed the lawn and thought I would be lazy and call it my workout. Ended up getting motivated enough to do 5k that felt alright.
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Workout B last night. I had no energy starting and not much left at the end.

DL - warm-up - wow can't remeber.
    working set was 3x5x115

Not sure why this is but I seem to be progressing on deadlifts more then any other lift. Don't get me wrong I think it is great and makes me swagger just a little.

Arnold presses - warm-up: 1x5x12, 1x5x15. Working set: 5x5x17.5

Squats - warm-up:1x8xbar, 1x8x55, 1x8x65. Working set: 3x8x85.
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Squat - warm up, 5x5 at 70lbs
    OHP - warm up, 5x5 at 55lbs
    DL - warm up, 5x5 at 115lbs

Followed by the elliptical.
    I have bruises on my back/shoulder from squatting. I'm wondering if my placement is off, or if it's just because I bruise easily.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    @dapunks
    Not sure why this is but I seem to be progressing on deadlifts more then any other lift. Don't get me wrong I think it is great and makes me swagger just a little.

that's perfectly normal. And also awesome. Not a lot feels quite as badass as ripping that bar off the floor, right? =D

@mlanders
    I have bruises on my back/shoulder from squatting. I'm wondering if my placement is off, or if it's just because I bruise easily.

I tend to get bruises if I let the bar "sit" too loosely. Try to really drive it "through" and keep your shoulder blades retracted and it shouldn't give you as much trouble.

@suremeansyes (I'd quote but it's too far back and I'm lazy) Big props on getting to pistol squats that fast! I'm still working on not using too much assistance doing them with one leg on a box. My left leg is somewhat okayish, but the right is so unstable :/ Also YAY for the big plates!

By now you all know what kind of relationship I have with lack of sleep and caffeine, methinks, so I won't complain further xD Today wasn't too bad all things considered.

Power Cleans
    EMOTM x4 @ 90 x 2
    EMOTM x4 @ 95 x 2

last few reps were a little sloppy and I learned the longer the shorts here, the better. Having the bar catch on the top of the thighs is no fun

OHP
    55x10
    60x8
    65x6
    65x6

superset with Band-assisted pull-ups
    3x3 with the red band (alternate chin and pull grip)
    then 7 with black and red together and overhand grip

EMOTM for 12
    ODD - 3 muscle-ups (recline rows + ring dips w/ feet on box) and 3 burpee box jumps @ 20'
    EVEN - Pistol squats AMRAP (calls for 10 but I couldn't get it)

Scored my total on the pistols and managed 46 total so I beat my previous score of 44, with a 2' increase on the box as well :)

Then I played around with grip work and some core. Tried bumper plate holds for time. Left hand is definitely weaker than the right. Also I can go from a stand to a full locked out ring dip position, so soon enough the unassisted dips will come!
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!!

Just got back to work after spending a few days at the cottage with the family. It was great! We even bought fireworks and had a fun night with that (except for the mosquitoes.. damn those things can be voracious!!!!!)

I had 2 workouts since the last time i posted... I went to see my friend's trainer, the more she was talking about him, the more i thought it would be a good match, and it was!!! He showed me proper form on the 5x5 exercices and showed me some accessory work and new moves...

So Friday we did 5x5 squat, 5x5 bench, 5x5 power cleans (OMG I love that exercice!!!!!!!!!!) and some core work. Yikes I was so sore!!!!

Yesterday I saw him again and he made me do some plyometrics moves. 5 rounds of: hanging ski jumps, one leg romanian deadlifts, box push-ups, box jumps and lat pulldowns. HOLY MOLY. I wanted to puke after the last round.

Tomorrow I see him to cover the last few exercices. I am scared of what he will make me do.

Have a great day ladies!!!