June workout check in: June-o you want to deadlift

Options

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I had an ok workout on Wednesday. I didn't do squats, but I did 115 lb barbell hip thrust--3x10. I could really feel these! Bench was 100 lbs 3x5. My arms were really sore after these. I haven't felt immediate soreness in a while. Rows were 100 lbs 3x5. These were fairly easy as my max is 115 lbs, but I'm learning to slow these down to really maximize the form.

I had planned on going to the gym today--deadlift day and attempting the 245 lbs again. However, I woke up with a catch in my back this morning, so I think I'll sit it out today. Besides, I'M GETTING MARRIED today :bigsmile:

Everyone have a great weekend and keep lifting that heavy *kitten*!
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Ladies!
    Only got two lifting days in this week, renovating a condo and taking care of my teenage brother is overwhelming me a bit.

This morning:
    Squats 5x5 80lb
    Bench Press 2x5 60 , 3x5 60 (I lowered my weight because I have a week right upper back/shoulder due to a riding fall in my teens, and holy **** is it apparent when doing this exercise! I was benching unevenly at 65, but could hold to good form at 60). I cant wait until I am stronger and more even and lifting weights half as heavy as all of you!!
    Barbell Row (had to lower from failures last week) 5x5 60lb, this felt amazing today!
    Followed up by 14 minute HIIT on elliptical

Anyone dealt with uneven strength in upper back/shoulders and if so how did you work on strengthening, evening it out? Considering getting a few pt sessions to work on that as I want to progress correctly. Its rude to be weak. meh.
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Okay I can't remember the last time I updated. I just don't feel like looking this morning. I will log my last three workouts.

June 14 - Workout A
    Squats
    Warm-up: 1x8xBodyweight, 1x8xBar (35lbs), 1x8x55, 1x8x65 (I am always cautious with squats to make sure knees are good and warm)
    Working set: 3x8x85

Bench Press
    Warm-up: 1x5xbar, 1x5x50
    Working: 5x5x65

Row
    Warm-up: 1x5xbar, 1x5x60, 1x5x70
    Working: 5x5x85

Accessory - Core and just some playing around

June 16 - Abused by trainer

June 18 - Work out B
    Deadlifts
    Warm-up: 1x5x65, 1x5x75, 1x5x85
    working: 2x5x105, 1x5x115 (realized that I just deadlifted more then half of my body weight)

Arnold Presses (weights are dumbells all x2)
    Warm-up: 1x5x12, 1x5x15
    Working: 5x5x17.5

Squats
    Warm-up: 1x8xBar (35lbs), 1x8x55, 1x8x65
    Working set: 3x8x85

Accessory: Core, plus the prep for pull-ups 4x10.

Only problem that I am having is that my regular gym is in a basement so no sunlight.
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I had an ok workout on Wednesday. I didn't do squats, but I did 115 lb barbell hip thrust--3x10. I could really feel these! Bench was 100 lbs 3x5. My arms were really sore after these. I haven't felt immediate soreness in a while. Rows were 100 lbs 3x5. These were fairly easy as my max is 115 lbs, but I'm learning to slow these down to really maximize the form.

I had planned on going to the gym today--deadlift day and attempting the 245 lbs again. However, I woke up with a catch in my back this morning, so I think I'll sit it out today. Besides, I'M GETTING MARRIED today :bigsmile:

Congratulations!
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Congrats wolfsbayne!!! :flowerforyou:
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    The jump rope totally did me in. I keep practising and I'm just NOT getting better and at this point I'm getting a good bit frustrated :(

@suremeansyes Awesome work! You're getting hella strong!

This might sound like a "DUH" suggestion, but is your rope the right length for you? When the rope is too long for me I am terrible at it, but when I hit that sweet spot with length, I can jump for a min or longer straight through.

And thank you. :)
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    @wolfsbayne Congratulations to you and best wishes!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Congrats wolfsbayne!
  • CoadyMarie
    CoadyMarie Posts: 165
    Options
    @wolfsbayne Congratulations!

Workout A today
    Deloaded (except squats) because after a week of no workouts Wednesday left me so sore everywhere, even though I'm eating more this week. I tried to go back to TDEE -15% after eating whatever I wanted for my week away (mostly toast and beer, since I was staying with fellow student friends) and had a major carb crash and insane hunger almost immediately. So this week I'm at TDEE -100 calories and gradually lowering.

Squats: 5x5x60
    BP: 5x5x60
    Row: 5x5x55
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Going to the gym on your wedding day? Badass, but definitely crazy. :tongue:
    Congratulations and enjoy the big day!
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    So I've been creeping around the last two weeks or so, but I'm still in the gym 3-4x a week (doing Wendler's 5/3/1 or trying to...) Glad to see all the great progress from everyone! I hope to be back on schedule with posting soon.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    @wolfsbayne Oh! Congrats! Cheers to many happy years for you and your dear one! :):drinker:

@suremeansyes Yeah, I adjust mine on a daily basis (there seems to be days where I need it a bit longer and it's got lil screws so the fix is super easy). However I just keep jumping on the rope or it seems to go a lil loose and gets stuck on my heels or tucks on my laces or some other really silly thing. I can string a hundred jumps in a row, sometimes. Then I have trouble getting 5 straight for 50 jumps. As for the double unders, I'm lucky if I can get 3 sets of 4 singles 1 double in a row. Or 10 doubles during my 3-5 min practice total. You'd think after 2+ months of practicing every workout I'd at least have the feeling I've improved a tad. Maybe I should video myself for reference xD
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Congratulations!!!!!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Congrats Wolfsbayne!!!!
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Haven't updated since earlier this week.

Wednesday was workout A. I get to the gym at 5am and have to be out of the gym at 6am in order to make it to work on time, so the warmup sets and rest periods in workout A are now bringing the workout to just over an hour. A new gym by my house opens this weekend? Or next week? I already got a membership and am hoping the shorter driving distance (5mins each way instead of 15mins each way) will allow me to still wake up at 4:30, get to the gym, get my workout in, and get to work on time.

Anyway:

Squat: warmup, then 125 5x5.
    Bench press: warmup, then 80 1x4, 1x5, 1x4, 2x3.
    Skipped barbell rows due to lack of time and also due to drama with a sibling w/ mental health issues... it's a long story and it's been a very long week. Part of the failures on the bench press were because of what was happening with her that morning and I just couldn't focus when I started reading the text messages. Note to self: Never check social media or messages from anyone until after you're done working out.

Today was workout B:

Squat: warmup, then 130 5x5.
    OHP: warmup, then 65 5x5. I've been stuck at 65 for the last 3 weeks. I can do all 5x5, but the last few reps on sets 4 and 5 are still wobbly and very tough. 70 just isn't happening yet. Need fractional plates.
    Deadlift: Did 175 on Monday. That was heavy. Wanted to try 185 today. Did 1 rep and felt like form wasn't good. Deloaded to 165lbs and did 1x5. I think I'll only add 5lbs per workout B from now on, and hope to keep form good each time.

Twice this week, guys were using the squat rack for curls when I got to the gym, and after I walked in and got my headphones on, they moved away from the rack and like gestured to me that it was all mine to use. I must look really mean when I walk in there LOL. Either that or I might finally look like I know what I'm doing?

In other news, I think I've got a friend that wants to start SL too! The last time I saw her was in September 2013 on the day that I got back on MFP, 60 pounds heavier than I am now. I saw her earlier this week and she said she almost didn't recognize me when I got out of the car. She's read everything on the SL website and wants me to show her the lifts this weekend. Wooo! We live in different cities and go to different gyms, but it's still exciting!!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!!! TGIF! 1 week til I leave for vacation!!!
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Workout A:

Squats: warm up, 5x5@100
    BP: warm up, 5x5@55
    BR: warm up, 5x5@60

I'm feeling a lot better now that I've increased my calories. Next week I feel like I could increase my weights for the BP and BR.

@Wolfsbayne Congratulations! Wishing you the best :drinker:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    @Wolf (because it deserved it's own box)

Big Congrats to you

giphy.gif
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It's Fridayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    8486b2f79124801e9b408c1d2ebc70a8.jpg

@rugby...nice to have a spotter like that...I wish people would put the plates back...when DH uses my stuff I find it all over the room...I can't imagine 20 like him...I would put mom mode on I think...
    @jcdoer...Yah I am like the 3x5 a lot for the time savings...leaves time after lifting for "extra" stuff if I feel like it.
    @perserverance wow on the incline situps...for chinups I got a big wooden dowel, big eye hooks and put them in a beam in the basement, taped the dowel to save splinters...works great...I had bought one of those door ones and it wouldn't fit in my door...I have an old house so the trim is odd...
    @liza holy on the squats...nice job
    @krok some of the stuff you do I have to google...:laugh:
    @wolf I hear you with the immediate soreness...see below for DL's
    @Rach I am left dominate...I only shift, shoot and mouse with my right so my left is obviously stronger and I can lead with my left and when I do I know a couple things...a) weight is heavy b) really concentrate on staying tight which seems to help.
    @dapunks :laugh: @ abused by trainer
    @willrun...haha least the bros know who's boss
    @spirit yes the extra food makes a big different

So for me today was Workout B...Yah DL

I have stayed @145lbs for squats but did 3x6 today...building endurance as form fails at 160 due to being "tired"...so going to up reps to 8 then move the weight up...however someone on my FL's did comment I "should" be squatting a lot higher considering my bench...hehe...it does look weird I am sure seeing a squat only 15lbs heavier than a bench...oh well. Form is more important atm.

OHP failed 3x at 93.5 so deload to 83.5...easy peasy..got them out...and movin' on up again.

DL...another deload for form...1x5@190 and my glutes are sore....I mean I've had a sore butt before but not this bad...it's not horrible but I know I really used my glutes and hamstrings which makes me feel great for the deload.

Bike ride yesterday 5mils in 24mins...wind against my face from start to 2.5mile mark and a slight incline...wow I was so spent on my way back I just couldn't get it higher than 12mph...oh well...

However I did mention to the DH...that bike ride and my inexplicable desire to run (don't ask) while on my walks lately...it is making me consider AMG don't tell anyone....quit smoking.....:noway: , I've only quit once in my life for a year...that was the year I did a 6min mile...might be time....

Have a good weekend all...I am off to a canoe trip down a lazy river with lots of alchol and food...prelogged everthing(including drinks) but dinner tonight and lunch on sunday (as i expect to be up late) and I still have 800+ calories left for the week and I am still not at maitenance....:drinker:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    @Wolf

anchorman.jpg

CONGRATS!!!! :drinker:
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    @wolfsbayne congratulations!

Workout a

Squat 165lbs 5/4/4
    Bench 86lbs 4/5/5
    Row 75lbs 3x5

Accessories
    Front raises 30 3x8
    One arm rows 26lbs 3x10
    Flies 15lbs 3x8

And then the 5k I was supposed to run yesterday... (it was a little rainy out and I was hella laxy)