July Fitness Challenge

Options

Replies

• schnicklefritz1
    schnicklefritz1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    So, I worked out this AM…I was at the YMCA by 5AM and I ran…and ran and ran some more…I am sore and tired and crabby (Jovan crap going on) and I just want to go home and go to bed. I was so high on endorphins almost all day, and in one swoop….Jovan ruined it. I killed it last night in my basement gym…I mean KILLED it….I KILLED today running….and I am just so stinking down in the dumps right now. Argh…and I can’t even go and work out more because (A) I have to go out with friends that I just don’t want to go out with, but we set the date up last week and (B) I may have over done it this AM and I am sore to the core and my bones hurt!!! And I have to weigh in tomorrow. It seems like every time I start doing really good that more drama comes in to my life right around weigh in.

YES……I am really negative today…..!!!!!!!!!! Aurghhhh…..
  • schnicklefritz1
    Options
    This was my email to my Trainer this AM.... I figured I did not need to re-type it all.... I am just feeling beaten and down and angry.... sorry to be so down for a few days in a row now.....

"Good morning Dan:

So, this is your favorite (in my mind) student here…..and I am so mad I could just spit. Let me just start off by saying today is weigh in day….guess what…NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! I am mad beyond words!!! I don’t even know what to say I am so mad.

I killed it this past week. My work outs with you, my work outs with Terri….I took Sunday off….but other than that…OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!! There is not a lot more I can do. I ran for almost 3 miles yesterday….very little walking….I biked almost 8 miles this AM, I biked on Saturday along with working out with you and walking another 2 miles….I worked out with you last Wednesday, Terri thusday AM, you Thursday night, Terri Friday AM….Saturday….I just talked about…..I am so frustrated I just, I cried this AM….I have been pretty good at self-talking through this the last two weeks…..it’s muscle gain, water weight, etc. etc…..but today I just snapped. I almost did not get up to go on the bike ride…but I was awake any way…so I went…and I am glad that I went, I almost enjoyed the pain of it all…but why am I going through this stupid pain if I am not getting somewhere with it.

YES….I am having a pity party!!!! I deserve to have a pity party…I am stomping feet mad!!!!!!! "
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's not fair, and I'm going to go through your diary to see if I have any ideas, but you really are doing all the right things. There are tons of things it could be -- you've been training hard and have been really stressed, for example, both of which can hide weight loss -- and I know none of that is satisfying now. You should measure yourself if you aren't. It gives a better sense of what's going on over time. And all of this is worth it because it's all good for your health and will help you get fitter even if it takes longer than you want, and it can't not work eventually. You just should be losing on the calories you've been eating, especially with all the activity, as you know.

One thought I have, and it might not work for you because I know you don't want to over focus on it, is to try weighing more often, like every morning at the same time for a while. It might help to find out if you are bouncing up and down, which would tell us that you could be hitting it on a high and also get a better sense of the trend. Don't do it if it will stress you out every morning, though.
  • schnicklefritz1
    Options
    Thanks Steph, I can't seem to get up to my 2100 calorie goal most days and that is what I really need to focus on. I know I am working out hard, but if I could just reach that 2100 calorie goal. But to be honest, I am not hungry. I ate a stinking ice cream cone the other night just to get me closer to the 2100 calories. That is not good either. My trainer wants me to get to 2100 and I will start trying to eat more. Yesterday I found myself gaggin on food while I ate it around noon, but I had to eat it to get the calories.

It is frustrating. I will be re-measured next week I think. I know I am physically changing...I know I am getting ALOT stronger...I can tell with every work out that I do that I am doing more, doing it harder...lifting more etc.

I just kind of had a mini melt down though yesterday....the poor trainer...I kind of puked all over him via a second email I sent him....When I walked into the gym last night, he just came out of the office and hugged me, told me we would figure it out and get over this hump and then we lifted. OH BOY...I love lifting and we have not heavy lifted yet and we did last night. And every ounce of my being is still on fire today. My knees feel like they are buring from the inside out.....IT ROCKED!!!!! I squat lifted one lift at 150 pounds...that was after doing lighter weights 3x10....And I was not maxed out with the squat lift. The amazing part of that is, my knees let me do it. My knees are getting stronger every day.....I did deadlifts 3x10 at 115lbs and benched 3x10 at 85 pounds...we did other excercises as well...different squats etc. he is showing me things I can do when I am not with him that will help to continue to stregthen my knees and quads and butt....that is where I have to lift from for the squat life and the dead lift. Whew....I was iceing the knees and muscle rubbing them last night big time though. And, there was a short bike ride today because I am so stiff. Terri (who I work out with) said I will have to do the ride she had planned for us today...tomorrow. I am thinking her goal is maybe 10 miles...we will see. I do that rhythm beats class again tonight....oh my gosh...it is so fun. If any of you have that going on at your gym....DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!! You can totally get your sweat on in that class!!!! It is not a huge "work out" but huge cardio.....loved it and can't wait.

ANyway....I hope the rest of you are doing well....I will keep on keeping on and try to keep the devil at bay.

By the way, my daughter went back in to the hosptial Saturday with an infection...they are not sure exactly what is going on. Something to do with her uterus after the C-section....please say a little prayer for her. They may have to do surgery to get rid of this poison or what what ever it is. I am waiting to hear from her as to when she will have her CT scan etc. I hate not being able to be there for all of these tests so that I could ask questions, I just have to hope she asks them. She is so stinking young. Argh...so, yes stress continues.
  • belle_reve9
    belle_reve9 Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I accidentally left the group. Ha. But joined right back. So if that shows up in a feed or something....oops!
    So I have decided to make my journal public. I have been at the weight that I have wanted to be for a couple of years. Lately, though, I have gained a pound here and a pound there. And it is making me crazy. I do think a large part of my deal is eating so much at night after dinner. So I am hoping that by making it public, it will help me to make better choices. We shall see.
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You guys have been KILLING IT on the exercise! It's too bad you aren't all closer, because we could totally be having races around the lake. My son gave me his bike, when we moved. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow and go buy a helmet. It's been a while since I've ridden a bike, but I figure it'll come back to me. Plus, there are bike lanes everywhere here!

So, as if to support my slowing my roll, my computer died, shortly after I moved. My middle son has been working on it, in between his many gigs, for the past 2 days. It should be ok soon, but it's been good for me to slow down a bit. The packing/moving/unpacking stuff was pretty intense and burned a lot of calories. I love our new place and its proximity to the lake and Trader Joe's. It was fun to try out this soul food place a couple of blocks away, today. I hadn't had good fried chicken in a while and the sweet potato pie was amazing! Even though I've been logging, I haven't been too concerned about calories or sodium levels, this week. I did drop a pound over last weekend and hope that another comes off this weekend. I'm getting kind of bored with the 170's and would like to graduate from them. Still, whenever I tell people my story--from 220-175--I realize that I will get there, slowly, but surely.

Welcome Little Warrior Woman--what is your granddaughter's name, Jodi?! Little babies are easy to care for. You just hold them, feed them, and change them. They sleep a lot. Sometime around 6-8 weeks, however, they start showing their personalities and tendencies. My son Ben (the one who gave me his bike and helped the most with the move and is running over here every day after work to try to fix my computer...) slept through the night from 2 weeks old and at 6-8 weeks, was perfectly fine with whatever I wanted to do with him. I could hold him and he'd smile. I could put him in a baby chair and he'd smile. My son Tim (my oldest) fought sleep from 6 weeks on. He would only take 10 minute naps and didn't sleep through the night until he was 10 months old. He was always moving, even when he was asleep! And, when I wasn't holding him (from about 6 weeks to 10 months), he'd be screaming. I won't scare you with the tale of my youngest son's infancy, because he has Asperger's, so it took a whole village and a lot of caffeine for all of us to keep up with him...

I'm really looking forward to getting into a health & fitness routine, here. It will be nice for life to get back to "normal". For this weekend, however, I'm still on holiday. I'll log my food & exercise, but I'm giving myself a lot of room to finish recovering. Thanks for taking such good care of each other, while I was distracted by the move! I love when groups I've started get a life of their own and can go on without me. And, I'm happy to have time (and my son's computer) to come back!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    My son gave me his bike, when we moved. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow and go buy a helmet. It's been a while since I've ridden a bike, but I figure it'll come back to me. Plus, there are bike lanes everywhere here!

Fabulous! It will come back quickly. Getting used to riding in traffic was the biggest challenge for me, but that comes too. I'm sure the Bay Area has great biking support, but lots of hills!
    It was fun to try out this soul food place a couple of blocks away, today. I hadn't had good fried chicken in a while and the sweet potato pie was amazing!

It sounded delicious.
  • belle_reve9
    Options
    Nice to have you back, Sue! :)
  • schnicklefritz1
    Options
    Yes Sue, it was nice to hear from you.....My granddaughters name is Mariska Faith....and she is the most beautiful Red head ever!!! Love her so much.

I am back with attitude after a very dark and ugly end of the week last week. I am still trying to get my food intake up to 2100 calories and keep my sodium under 2000mg and sugar under 100 grams. That was what the trainer and I decided to try. I am struggling with the 2100 calories, I have just not been hungry at all lately. Stress? I don't know. BUt I was gagging the other day...forcing myself to eat extra food and I just gave up. Trianer says when I am hungry eat....if I am not...don' worry about it. I will go with that I guess. He said eventually the hunger should catch back up to me and some of this might be mental...."aaaannnnnnndddddd how!" LOL Anyway, I have really been killing it with work outs. The work out this AM is still with me. I am totally buzzing off of it. I feel like I drank a pot of coffee or something. Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not remember what my goals were and I am too lazy to go back and look. I know one of them was to get my 10,000 steps in a day...some days I do and some I don't...the days I don't...I have normally killed it with a weight training routine and I could not walk another step if I wanted too. SO, I am trying to learn to not stress over the steps so much. I am trying to learn not to stress....period.

My mom is with us right now. She thinks I need counseling for the amount of working out that I am doing. She was serious...not making a funny. Yikes. She is not very supportive of this new lifestyle I am choosing at all. I am not saying that I am loving it...I would love to sleep until 6AM like I used to instead of getting up at 4:30 or 5:30 to work out....I would love to come home and sit on my rear end and do nothing and eat tacos every night instead of going to work out or take a class...that would be awesome. But I can't right now. I need to do this, and if I stop...even for one day....it could be my downfall. I am taking this coming Saturday "off" I have a wedding to go to...and I am kind of freaking out a little bit. I am getting my normal Saturday night work out in on Friday, Dan found a spot for me Friday afternoon. SO I am thankful for that....I guess it wouldn't be awful to take a weekend off....it just makes me nervous. And, I am not sure if I am going to be home on Sunday yet or not....so it might be two days off. YIKES!!!!!!!

Anyway...we have all been there I think...we do our best...I will continue to learn to be healthier and people will continue to judge me and not be happy with the new me and I will continue to find new friends. LOL

Have a great week everyone. . . not logging in as much with my mom being here...with me luch with that!!!!!!!!
  • belle_reve9
    Options
    Ok guys! I think (at the suggestion of my husband) that I am going to stop logging for a week or so. I am at maintenance level but I am absolutely driving myself crazy with worry about gaining anything at all. It's getting pretty bad. In my own head, at least. So I will still be around. I may just not be logging. Any prayer sent my way would be appreciate. This consumes my thoughts all the time! Which I know can't be healthy.
  • belle_reve9
    Options
    Well, after today. ha!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Smart idea (and good luck! my thoughts are with you). I bet you'll do fine just using common sense.

Hope you check in with us anyway, for conversation and the like!
  • belle_reve9
    Options
    Thank you!!! :)
  • schnicklefritz1
    Options
    Kind of quiet in here......I weigh in tomorrow....let's see if I have to implode again this week.

My body is a bit mad at me right now. I have been really really eating clean for the most part and then I was an idiot and ate cookies for two nights. Yup...that was genious....anyway....so now my body is REALLY mad. I am just a bit sluggish as my body trys to get rid of all of these toxins and crap that have been building up for such a long time.

Anyone have opinions on weight before or after a work out. I am running again in the morning and don't know if I should weigh before or after. I have sent a note to my trainer as well....he is very much on board and so very supportive. He is just awesome....emails every day....and he has a pretty full load, but always seems to find time to email at some point.

Have a great day every one..hope you are all doing well.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Before, I think. But no harm doing both if you won't get neurotic about it.

My general theory is be as consistent as possible, and first thing before food or exercise is as consistent as you can get. You are likely to lose water weight in a workout, but the problem is you can't make that consistent with other days.

No, I haven't thought about this too much! Why do you ask? ;-)

I had a dumb work freakout on Tuesday--forgot I had tickets to Hamlet with a friend I haven't seen in forever (specifically since New Year's Eve, so 60 lbs ago), so had to leave work for that when I had SO much else to do (that I should have had done already). As a result, I ended up pulling almost an all-nighter, although my version of that these days is napping between 1 and 3.

Anyway, it was kind of fun/embarrassing to see that friend (fun otherwise, I just mean the weight loss thing), since most of the people I see every day haven't said anything to me, in part because I think people don't know if it's appropriate to or not unless I bring it up. Someone else told me that a co-worker was saying that I'd lost a lot of weight and she hoped I wasn't super stressed about something. Yeah, I wish I lost weight when stressed instead of wanting to eat everything in sight.
  • schnicklefritz1
    Options
    Yes Steph....wouldn't it be great if we lost weight when stressing. Here is the part that makes me mad.....I have heard from other people that have lost weight that people are like "oh my gosh, are you okay" "you aren't sick are you"...why can people not understand that maybe we lost weight because we stopped putting crap in our mouths and started moving are lazy butts? Is that so hard to see?

I have had a really rough week with my mom being here.....VERY upsetting to say the least. I have a lot of people in my life that do not really "get" why I am doing this...."love yourself the way you are" they say....ya know...? Screw that....I am done...I don't love the fat me and that is that....I love this new me that is emerging and I totally dig the strength and power that "is" the new me. But my mom....and her horribly negative attitude just slays me. "you are killing yourself" is a direct quote from her....Argh....Thank goodness I have a trainer and work out partner that is ubber supportive and caring and they have helped me through the week alot. It's just been a bad week with her here.

On the upside...since I see my trainer now more than I see my husband...I have asked my husband to come to training with me tonight and meet Dan. (the other man in my life....lol) I just think since he hears about Dan all the time...he should meet the young man that is changing me in front of my own eyes!!!

This weeks 6 pound loss was huge for me......I almost lost my rings in the trash because when I washed my hands and wiped them....they fell off in the paper toweling. I now have one of those plastic ring things on to keep the rings on my hands. I am not going to get them sized just yet.....LOL. But, I am actually starting to see changes in my body....my arms and shoulders especially....and I think my legs...but I am still thinking about that. LOL I have a LONG way to go...but gosh darn it....that 6 pounds tasted awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steph....if you would like to meet some one neurotic....Hi, my name is Jodi...nice to meet you!!! By the way...what did long time, haven't seen in a long time ... friend say when she saw you with the 60 pounds gone?

Sue...where are you?

Culo...how are you doing?

Veronica....I talk to you every day.....but I wanted you to see your name in here. LOL
  • belle_reve9
    Options
    HAHA! Thanks, Jodi. I appreciate that ;)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    She said (and I quote) "wow, you look great! you've lost a ton of weight" which was kind of refreshing since a lot of times people are worried to let on that they noticed you were heavy (IME), but I know she lost a bunch of weight some years ago, and she and I have talked about it. I almost said, "well, not quite a ton!" It was kind of funny/ackward since we were with another friend who I see every week who hasn't said anything (and nor have I).

I'm actually pretty understanding of people thinking they shouldn't say anything, since I am private about it and was at first not sure if I wanted anyone to say anything. At work I've really only had two people say anything, one our receptionist who always wants to lose weight and who I've since talked to about it, and the other a somewhat older male co-worker who I talk to a lot and who for whatever reason is willing to go into things in general no one else would (like bringing up controversial political topics). He's in good shape and works out a lot and brought up that I'd lost weight (I may have mentioned going to the gym first) and then quickly said "was it intentional?" I laughed and said "oh, definitely, and I'm not done yet!" Now he has the slightly annoying habit of telling me that he's been gaining and blah, blah, when he's still in great shape, but I don't actually mind at all.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Super congratulations on the 6 lbs, Jodi! More later.
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hey, Ladies! Sorry for being MIA. I've been having serious technical difficulties, since I moved. First, my 9yo computer finally died. One move too many, it said. My middle son is our hardware specialist and he came over for 4 days after work to try to work on the thing for me. He ended up replacing all of its parts, so I now have a brand new computer. However, the internet service here SUCKS! I forget, sometimes, that not everyone has computers and not all neighborhoods get good internet service. I'm such a spoiled city girl. Since I moved into an "up and coming" neighborhood, my internet service has been really poor. Fortunately, the competing internet provider has better service and they'll be here on Monday to hook us up! They promised me at least 25mbps, so I have hope...

I love my new place and its proximity to the lake. I used to go to the lake once or twice/week. Now, I'm there every day! The lake is also the perfect place for me to gain confidence on the bike, because there are bike lanes all around it. I got really ballsy yesterday and rode to the computer store and back, which was about 5 miles roundtrip, and a few blocks didn't have bike lanes.

I'm struggling to get back to some kind of "normal" eating and exercising routine, still. I think, partially because I'm still getting settled in and partially because I've been dating. Somehow, moving stirred this part of me that would like a partner, so I started dating again. It's been really fun, but a bit distracting. And, there are always meals out involved. This awesome guy I met in Maui called me, today. I hadn't heard from him in months and he confessed that he thought I was "out of his league". I didn't even know I was in a league;) I reassured him that I was a completely free agent and that I have thought about him often, since leaving Maui. He's coming to visit in September and I'm super excited!

Jodi, I'm so jealous you have a new granddaughter! I love newborns and want to hug your little Mariska Faith! And, WOW, Grandma--6lbs!!! You really are killing those workouts! When I started eating more, the EM2WL people said to just increase 100 calories/day each week, until I reached maintenance. I think slow is the way to trick your brain. But, it doesn't seem like that plateau lasted very long:) How did your hubby like your trainer?

Veronica, congrats on reaching your weight loss goal! It can be great eating at maintenance, I just think it'll take time to get used to it. My thoughts & prayers will be with you and I also hope you'll come check in with us, cuz we're special;)

Stephanie, 60lbs is a huge milestone! I'm so proud of you! You are so dedicated and consistent. And, you have awesome taste in food, which I think could be a factor... If you like what you're eating, restricting calories isn't so bad. I bet that felt great to have your friend notice how much weight you'd lost. I've been running into people I haven't seen since the New Year and it's been so fun to get that recognition.

I wish I could say I didn't care that my progress has slowed, but I do! I know I'm still losing about 1lb/week, but I miss the 2lbs/week pace. This takes a lot more patience. I suppose I could try to exercise more to bump it up to maybe 1.5lbs/week, but then I think I'd need to eat more. It's such a crazy balancing act, this long-term weight loss project.

Have a great weekend, Warrior Women!