July workout check-in thread - Don't July about your PR

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @navygrrl - i feel you about the bench press. 'getting ugly' just about sums it up. looking back i seem to have been sitting at 55 on mine for a while, but i do feel like *up until* the ugly shows up, i'm okay. so i think i'm thinking i'll focus for a while on just kind of pushing the 'ugly pointer' later and later in the process, if you get me. when i get to the end of all the sets without seeing it, then i'll probably add my next 5lb.

I think that's a good idea. Once I can do the 5x5 without the ugly, I know I'll be ready for the next 5lb.

I think I need to put one of those pad things on my bar for the squats, because I'm sore where it rests. Ugh. Today is a C25K day for me, so I got that out of the way. It's much less annoying this time around, but that's probably because I'm carrying less weight.

Happy last day of the month!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Workout B for me last night

Squats: 5x5 - 148 repeated this weight as I wasn't entirely happy with my form last time, better now
    OHP: 5x5 60lbs - finally!!
    DL: 1x3 176 - my blimmin hands slipped after 3 and I lost it...tried to recover and do it again but was done :( deloaded and managed 1x3 at 165
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Lots of awesome lifting going on. Plus--working out in silk blouses and crazy a** handstands. You are all inspiring!

Workout B
    Squats 60lbs 5x5--first day that this didn't feel completely horrible (it only half-sucked). Hubz said I had a little wobble coming up during the 1st set. He had me turn my toes out a little bit and that was when it felt more comfortable. It also stopped the wobble.
    OHP 50lbs 5x5-Whew. Sweating bullets. I got all of them, but think I may need to stay here for the next workout b/c my wrists just did not feel stable. Almost felt like they were going to flip backwards if that makes sense. And, I don't have the smaller plates yet.
    DL: 85lbs 5x1--dare I say, I think I like this lift the best? I could really feel it from my feet through my back. I get why this lift is so important. Of course, my hands are a raw, sore mess now.

Onward and upward to Friday!!!!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies quick check in for me...missed last night as it was the man childs 20th Bday...had to celebrate so workout B for me today

Squats warmup + 3x5 @ 175....5lbs from PR and 23lbs over BW

OHP warmup + 4,5,3 @ 93.5....next time last try before deload...but I am going to up reps this time

DL warmup + 1x5 @ 195 just checking form before I go to 200...10lbs from PR here...

Long weekend this weekend for us...but working the canteen on Friday again...hopefully can get workout in on Saturday before we have to go back otherwise Monday...but it's a day off so I can get it in early.

Have a great night ladies.
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Today was workout B
    squat 115 5x5
    ohp failed at 55 - 5,5,4,3,4
    dead lift 140 My fingers were slipping on that last one so I switched to a mixed grip :( and finished the last rep
    SC week 6 day A
    barbell hip thrust 50x3x12
    front squats 45x3x10
    Romanian dead lift 110x3x8
    seated band abduction 30
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I think I need to put one of those pad things on my bar for the squats, because I'm sore where it rests.

hee. it's been all hot and sunny here for weeks, and i've been going around a lot of the time in this thing that is probably a bra, if i only knew it. to me, it's a perfectly respectable-looking short halter top which can be *used* as a bra if it has to be. trying to even out the silly-looking biker's tan look.

so then after a week or two of this, i find this little rough spot that feels about the size of a dime high up and dead centre on my upper back, and plus i saw a LOT of sun exposure when i was a kid . . . you guys see where i'm going with this.

luckily i caught on just in time. my gp's pretty neat and she'd probably applaud me for playing it safe, but i just don't want any more of those 'r u for rlly?' looks she's always handing to me. i'm still flinching from the one i got when i asked her if she could actually see the nerve endings in my cervix.

. . . well, it made sense to me at the time. i mean, she's the doctor and she was looking right at it when she made the remark.

anyway. rode my bike today, and i'm 2 pounds heavier suddenly than i was 2 days ago. i'm taking this as a sign i must be working out seriously enough to make my body do that whole pre-whoosh thing to me.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Can I just say how much I love this group - even though I lurked for so long, I really enjoy reading how strong you ladies are!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I just started the program last week, but here are my PRs for July:

Squat: 65 lb
    Bench: 55 lb
    OHP: 50 lb
    Deadlift: 105 lb (using hex sled)
    Row: 65 lb (I did 70 lb but my form sucked so I deloaded back to the 65 lb beginning weight to work on that. Plus I really hate rows.)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was workout B for me~

Squats: warm up, 3x5@100, 2x5@105
    OHP: warm up, 3x5@51
    DL: warm up, 1x5@115

I've been kind of stuck on 100-105lbs for my squats. Any tips on how to break through to a stall/higher weight? Thanks! :flowerforyou:

you can try finding fractionals and only going up a couple pounds each time...I have weighted collars that are 3.5lbs together so my lifts can go 100 to 103.5 then to 105.

Or @ 100 try upping reps each workout so 1 is @ 5x5 then 5x6 then 5x7 then 5x8 then up your weight....

I did that on my squats and it helped a lot...I suspect I will be doing that with my OHP too.
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Can I just say how much I love this group - even though I lurked for so long, I really enjoy reading how strong you ladies are!

Seconded!!

@canadianlbs: I've been resting my back since Monday. So next Monday will be exactly one week of rest. It feels fine since yesterday, so that plus the weekend I think I'll be good to go on Monday, although very careful.

Have a great Friday ladies and an even greater weekend!!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Last night was the conclusion of Week 3 of 5/3/1 (next week will be my de-load week).

OHP - warm-up + 5x55lbs, 3x65lbs, 7x70lbs
    Deadlifts - warm-up + 5x140lbs, 3x155lbs, 4x175lbs
    Good Mornings 3x10 @ 45lbs
    Assisted Pull-ups 3x8

When I do my next 5/3/1 cycle, I'm going to split it into at least 3 days per week, if not 4. Deadlifts are just too taxing to combine with another lift on the same day.
  • CoadyMarie
    CoadyMarie Posts: 165
    Options
    Managed to squeak one last workout in for July - missed my regular Wednesday thanks to getting called in to work unexpectedly, so I did it yesterday. Didn't go amazingly well since I was tired after running (C25K on off days), but I mainly didn't want to miss a day. I didn't go for 5x5, just kind of did what I felt like.

Squats: 3x5x85
    OHP: 1x3x60, 2x5x55
    DL: 1x5x65, 1x5x85, 1x3x105
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Last July workout was yesterday but I was too lazy to post.

Squats: 150lbs 4/5/5/5/5 Mentally missed that last rep, I went down and I don't know what happened but all of a sudden I was on my knees so I dropped the bar back because even if I had gotten back up I wouldn't have counted it
    OHP: this is a deload, 70lbs 5x5
    DL: working back up to my injury weight, 155 1x5
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    It feels fine since yesterday, so that plus the weekend I think I'll be good to go on Monday, although very careful.

can't wait to see what your results will be.

i'm probably going to take today off since for some reason biking really isn't doing it right for my knees recently. i have a 'core' workshop tomorrow which i'm half dreading and half looking forward to, and i haven't been able to make up my mind about timing sl around it. it's either going to leave me too bombed to eat my wheaties or raring to go . . . i don't know. gettin' old, you know. knees going.

at any rate, today doesn't feel like a good day for it. i'll probably go to the gym if i get myself out of the house at all. and i may go for it once i'm there. or i might just lie around for an hour mashing my quads with their lovely rollers.

great weekend everyone.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Workout A for me today, even though it's now August. This summer is going by way too fast!

Squats: warm up + 5x5@100
    Bench: warm up + 3x5@58
    Rows: warm up + 3x5@68

Have a good weekend! :smile:
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    So I've been really bad about posting my workouts. But I think I'm doing pretty good, working, school, kids and I still haven't skipped a lifting day.

Workout B
    Squat 160 4/5/5 I kind of forgot what I was doing mid squat on my last rep of the first set and disaster occurred lol good to know how to bail....
    Ohp 5x5 55lbs it was a deload so I figured I'd do 5x5 because I don't have fractionals
    Dl 2x2 195 I lost my grip and had to break it into 2 sets.

Accessories
    Sldl 3x8 135
    Glute bridges 135 3x8

One of the guys that I work with is pretty in to the weights. It's kind of nice to talk about it to people in real life, and who understands the deadlift hungries. He's trying to get me to go to the gym with him (he gets a couple of guest passes) but I'm way to intimated by the gym scenario. I like my little room of lifting at home #socialanxiety
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Squat 160 4/5/5 I kind of forgot what I was doing mid squat on my last rep of the first set and disaster occurred lol good to know how to bail....

LOL! That's exactly what I did! Like who does 4/5/5/5/5? Us. ;)
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    understands the deadlift hungries.

i used to think that that was just me.

kind of a sad, sucky day on the working-out front. i had this core thing to go to today with this real-world group that meets now and then, and it wasn't really as exciting as i'd kind of hoped it would be. i am kind of a loner when it comes to workouts, i guess. and a whole roomful of other women is both . . . intimidating and yet still somehow too girly for me.

(sorry. i'm not trying to diss any women here who know how to be girly girls. i kind of admire them, but for myself i just seem to be missing a couple of the pheromones or something for it.)

rec centre afterwards, but i just wasn't in the right groove. there's this sort of roving gang of power-lifter teens who really should be out breaking into cars and vandalizing newspaper boxes or something like normal teen boys, instead of underfoot in the gym with their gallon jugs of gatorade and their straps and their belts. they're nice kids actually and pretty polite, but it's like trying to work in the middle of a herd of wildebeest. or a plague of locusts. they kind of fill the place up and use all the equipment by working in with each other as smaller sub-groups, which means you can wait an hour sometimes for a specific thing to be free. and they're all into the neanderthal noise-making schtick . . . it must be some Thing that some Person does and has film of on youtube or something. they may all be on the same rugby team or something like that, this particular set.

anyway. i got some rack time by being assertive but there was way too much pressure and too many people for me to find my right groove. i had to work in, with this uber-cool urban-loner guy who reeked of skunkweed, kept his mirror shades and his headphones on the whole time, and re-racked the bar after his own sets so it was literally over my head (he adjusted after the first set, but still). kind of dude who slicks his hair back and drives some kind of low-slung convertible which sounds like it's being powered by its own bass speakers and never ever sits still. plus, he did super-fast 1/4-squats in sets of 5, which really wasn't giving me the rest time i needed each rep. i got into my third set at 85lb, and one knee buckled to a degree where i may have hurt it, so i just finished that set and then quit. it just didn't feel like things were going to get any better from there.

i did go off by myself in a corner and play for a while with the idea of front squats, at a much much lower weight. i may be doing them wrong but i really liked them. i'm thinking quite seriously about this idea of changing my squat plans: instead of just doing back squats and incrementing by five every time, i'm thinking of cycling through front, back and sumo formats over the course of 3 workouts per cycle. not moving up to the next 5 lbs until i've completed a cycle of three at the current weight.

anyway, back to the workout. couldn't ohp at the right working weight, because rack. so i did a bunch of sets at 30lb to warm up, got in i think one set at 50lb, and quit that as well. cleaning the bar at the start of a set really seems to take a lot out of me and it just wasn't going right. i did a few sets of cleans at 30lb anyway, just as a kind of consolation-prize thing.

didn't even try the deadlift. i hadn't made my other two lifts, so i somehow felt like doing the deadlift after that would be cheating somehow. also, couldn't find the big training plates, floorspace was limited, i really just wasn't into any of it anyway . . . so i decided to write the whole thing off halfway through as a non-workout, and go home. i'll either go back tomorrow and try again in the morning, or rest another day and go for monday instead.

some days just suck, and that's all. i went to the grocery store and bought myself a red pepper, a yellow pepper, a green pepper, a purple onion, some tomatoes and a cucumber. i'm getting the feta cheese and the olive oil out of the freezer and making myself the most big-*kitten* bucket of personal greek salad that you ever saw. my kid's away housesitting for friends, so i'm probably going to sit in front of the computer eating it right out of the bucket. and weird as it sounds, i might look up that final fight between joe frazier and muhammad ali on youtube, and watch it tonight.