Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Some great swims by everyone. Love the Speed and Distances Personal Best's that people are hitting. Especially the new members and those fighting injuries.

Had a good swim yesterday but forgot to log it - 60 lengths - 1500m all front crawl 32 minutes, then 30 minutes of slow stroke drills. Fins doing Bi-lateral Breathing drill with 1 sec delay on pull. ( after fingers re-enter the water hold the arm on top the water and keep the body stretched out as long/tall as possible )
    Really works the form on reducing drag caused by Body Mis-alignment.

Noon Hour Swim to-day. Slow drills - Breast stroke, Front Crawl and Backstroke.
    No real counting or pattern, just out making circles in the pool. Also finished with a continuation of Yesterdays Drills, still a little weaker on my Left Shoulder and true Bi-lateral Breathing is throwing my flip turns out of sync.

Wow! You are a good reminder to me that as really must resume on the drill work. Good job!
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    2100SCM

The 100s free I did 1.16 then 1.15 which is ok for me as my PB is 1.13.5 (with dive) and I've done bugger all training recently.

Also, orthopaedic surgeon today said still not enough pain for surgery. I suspect he's waiting for bicep tendon to fully rupture

So very fast :smile:

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between 2700 (54 laps or 1.5 miles) and 3000. I lost count. That's what happens when I swim angry-- I can't even use the alphabet to keep my laps straight. But I swam for 75 minutes, and I can usually do 54 laps in about 68-70; so I reckon I was close to the 3000 mark.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    1850m, 62 minutes, 15 sprint lengths, mixed strokes ....thought I was on pace for a longer distance but when I checked the clock time was up ...
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Great swims y'all! I did 30 minutes today -

200 warm up
    4x 50 pull, 50 kick, 50 sprint
    another 50 sprint (meant for it to be 100 but I was in the routine of doing 50s and forgot!)
    200 cool down
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2800SCM
    Masters

2x100 RIM
    2x100 br
    2x100 back

6x75 kick as fly on back/fly on front/fly on back

8x100 free pull

6x75 free as 50 steady 25 sprint (30s ri)

2x200 IM (wtf!!)

100 easy

Putting 200 IMs at the end is just rude!!

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 mile wake up call :)
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Back in the pool after a week out on vacation. 1800 yds, mostly freestyle mixed sets but with a breast/back cool down. About 55 minutes. I was struggling with the effort/results ratio this morning. In the middle of the workout it seemed like I was putting in more and more effort but going slower. I tried to chill out a bit and clear my mind and lengthen my stroke and that seemed to help a bit. Still not my best workout ever.

I was sharing a lane with a guy I swam Masters with. He is a triathlete and swimming is really not his strong suit. He has come a long way though. The first time I ever shared a lane with him, he whacked me in the head because his arms were all over the place. No whacks in the head today! He still swims like a runner though. Has no ankle flexibility at all and I can still pass him at my slow speed. He is an excellent runner/cyclist though because he ends up with good tri times overall.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    2.5km 55 min.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Yes I did, my usual mile. I noticed the other day that my shoulders looked bigger and rounder. I actually had to change tops because it looked a little unusual in what I was planning to wear. Anyone else notice this after daily swimming?
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    Yes I did, my usual mile. I noticed the other day that my shoulders looked bigger and rounder. I actually had to change tops because it looked a little unusual in what I was planning to wear. Anyone else notice this after daily swimming?

Bigger shoulders from regular swimming? Definitely. It took a while to notice but a definite difference. As a woman with wide hips, I like the balance that larger shoulders provide.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Bigger shoulders from regular swimming? Definitely. It took a while to notice but a definite difference. As a woman with wide hips, I like the balance that larger shoulders provide.

Hmm, I'm envious. As usual, I wouldn't have to be if I put in the time that you peeps do... However, that said, I did MsJ's workout swim today with some extra pull and kick work. My god, it felt good. It wasn't a great swim, but I realized that after a fairly normal swim, I LOVE TO SWIM. I finally feel like a swimmer (even though you guys have told me that I was one when I started, lol). I don't think I look any bigger, but I always feel stronger, taller and like I could kick anybody's a** after getting out of the pool, even on tired days!
  • MarissaTriesAgain
    MarissaTriesAgain Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I have been swimming for the last 2 weeks or so. At the suggestion of others, instead of just resting, I incorporated lengths of kicks and backstroke instead of only doing freestyle. So, before using these new suggestions, I was doing 250m in 15ish minutes including breaks. Last night, I did 400m in 20 minutes with out stopping!!! This is HUGE for me, as I'm still quite large, new to swimming, and felt like I could do anything after improving so much just by adding these other elements into my workouts.

I'm going to be at the pool in a little over an hour, and plan on doing another 20 min, minimum 400m swim. it isn't much, but I'm making progress and loving it!
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Marissa, that's awesome! I started with 20-25 minutes and now 30 is a "short day" for me. You'll be amazed at how fast you get to that point.

No swim for me today. My body needed a rest. I'm meeting a former student for breakfast in the morning so I'm planning on a good, hard 60 minute workout in the morning so I can enjoy that German pancake I plan on eating tomorrow!
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Last night, I did 400m in 20 minutes with out stopping!!!

Friggin awesome Marissa ...yu go gurl! And by the by I started out at virtually the same pacing you are at 6 months ago ...

1850m in 61 minutes, mixed strokes, 15 sprint laps ....tomorrow is a rest day

• emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2200SCM
    Random solo swim

400 free
    400 mixed kick
    400 back
    6x75 free as 50 steady 25 sprint
    150 br kick
    100 back
    2x100 IM
    I00 easy

Pushed the "steady" part of the 75s a little harder than in same set last night.

• MarissaTriesAgain
    MarissaTriesAgain Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Today's swim: 450 (free/back/kicks) in 20 minutes. I did a quick walk before my swim, and that little bit of energy spent before the swim had a negative affect on my firm :/ lesson learned!
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    Yesterday's swim (because I couldn't log on last night) was what is becoming my standard:
    2700 y in 65-70 min:
    *200 easy breast/back warmup
    *1550 mostly free + back/breast for micro recovery every 5 - 6 laps or so
    *500 kickboard
    *250 free
    *200 easy breast/back cooldown
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    Oh, and Yay Marissatriesagain! Those victories really feel good, don't they?!
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    Hmm, I'm envious. As usual, I wouldn't have to be if I put in the time that you peeps do... However, that said, I did MsJ's workout swim today with some extra pull and kick work. My god, it felt good. It wasn't a great swim, but I realized that after a fairly normal swim, I LOVE TO SWIM. I finally feel like a swimmer (even though you guys have told me that I was one when I started, lol). I don't think I look any bigger, but I always feel stronger, taller and like I could kick anybody's a** after getting out of the pool, even on tired days!

That stronger, taller butt-kicking feeling is way more important than shoulders, which could be as much physiology as swimming. It's awesome. When I get out of the pool, I am always standing straighter, even if I'm whupped.

And go Marissa, GO!
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Yep! One mile in 53 minutes. I am a creature of habit lol.