Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    Swam 50 minutes freestyle, then 10 minutes of kick boarding. God, how I hate kick boarding!
    10 MINUTES?? Sheesh. I can barely eek out 200y some days. Well done, Robertus!
    Well I'm lucky if I can complete 200 yards of kick boarding in 10 minutes so you're probably doing much better than me. I hate kick boarding!

This is me with a kickboard:

DANG, my arms are EXHAUSTED! A kick set is going to feel SO, SO GOOD. 5x100? Sure!
    //50 yards later//
    Okay, time to swim again.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    1900 m in 62 minutes, mixed strokes, 15 sprint laps ...The new routine seems to be working well I'm feeling challenged, breathing harder ...
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I didn't have much time so did a mile-36 minutes, along with a warm up and fin work.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Some great swims by everyone. Love the Speed and Distances Personal Best's that people are hitting. Especially the new members and those fighting injuries.

Had a good swim yesterday but forgot to log it - 60 lengths - 1500m all front crawl 32 minutes, then 30 minutes of slow stroke drills. Fins doing Bi-lateral Breathing drill with 1 sec delay on pull. ( after fingers re-enter the water hold the arm on top the water and keep the body stretched out as long/tall as possible )
    Really works the form on reducing drag caused by Body Mis-alignment.

Noon Hour Swim to-day. Slow drills - Breast stroke, Front Crawl and Backstroke.
    No real counting or pattern, just out making circles in the pool. Also finished with a continuation of Yesterdays Drills, still a little weaker on my Left Shoulder and true Bi-lateral Breathing is throwing my flip turns out of sync.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I swam today :-) Missed it yesterday due to pulling a muscle in my thigh so was really glad to get back into the pool today. Oh water, how I love thee! Did 60 minutes, 1500m. Would have liked to be faster but am happy that I just got out at all.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Great swims people!
    Inspiring stuff!
    LauraRae2 wrote: »
    You guys. YOU GUYS!
    I did it!!!!!! 42:42 nonstop freestyle mile.
    I DID IT!

The funny thing is, I didn't intend to today. But I felt strong so I just kept going, and once I got to half a mile I figured, we'll might as well keep on! It got hard around lap 30 (36 is a mile) but I pushed through and I made it :D

Now it's back to interval training for a while, I think. Time to start working on cutting that mile time down.
    FANTASTIC - love it when they creep up on you from nowhere!
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    2600m
    Masters Squad

2x50 free
    2x50 back
    2x (100 free 25 fly)
    15x50 free as 8 on 55, 8 on 50 hold 40 or less
    100 easy
    8x75 as 25 free 25 fly kick on back 25 fly
    4x50 back
    4x100 as 2x50 IM
    100 easy

Followed by 7.4km mixed swim to total 10km for this...

https://www.justgiving.com/Rosanna-Ogden-heartresearchuk-2015

Knackered!!!
    10km - my goodness! Only ever done that once before!
    You must have been knackered alright!

• AquaticQuests
    Options
    Saturday morning: 30 min swim
    Saturday evening: 15 min swim
  • juliet3455
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Had a good Noon Hour swim today after doing a 7km morning run with the local running club.
    Pretty much a duplicate of yesterday. Slow drills - Breast stroke, Front Crawl and Backstroke.
    Not really counting or doing any set patterns, just out making circles in the water.
    Spent a lot of it in Fins doing Bi-lateral Breathing drill with 1 sec delay on pull keeping the body stretched out as long/tall as possible, really worked on my form trying to reduce the drag caused by Body Mis-alignment.

@LauraRae2 Woot Woot on your Free Style mile. A perfect example of drills improving your technique without you realizing it.
    @stephenrhinton This is what you are waiting for the improvements/changes that sneak up on you.
    @emmab0902 The Knackered - 10km I struggle running that far, I can't imagine swimming it.
    @Kida_Adeylne The curse of a great day at the beach. "3-4 hours in the water and am as red as a lobster today"
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Swam 50 minutes freestyle, then 10 minutes of kick boarding. God, how I hate kick boarding!
    10 MINUTES?? Sheesh. I can barely eek out 200y some days. Well done, Robertus!
    Well I'm lucky if I can complete 200 yards of kick boarding in 10 minutes so you're probably doing much better than me. I hate kick boarding!

This is me with a kickboard:

DANG, my arms are EXHAUSTED! A kick set is going to feel SO, SO GOOD. 5x100? Sure!
    //50 yards later//
    Okay, time to swim again.

Ha! I'm the same.

I managed 39 minutes today. I tried a new workout and it kicked my butt.

300 warmup
    4×100 - 50 kick on side, 25 free, 25 breast
    4×100 - count stroke on first 25 of each set. I was at 22, 23, 23, 24
    There was more to the workout but I was running out of time and someone very slow decided to share my lane at that point so I did a 200 to cool down and called it a day. Seriously, she was slow - I lapped the woman on my cool down unintentionally! The worst part was I got out and realized there were TWO empty lanes, so I have no idea why she was sharing with me.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2100SCM

4x75 as 2 free 1 br 1 back

2x100 IM

2x100 back

100 free timed (no dive)

200 easy

100 free timed (no dive)

200 easy

8x50 IMO

16x25 IMO

The 100s free I did 1.16 then 1.15 which is ok for me as my PB is 1.13.5 (with dive) and I've done bugger all training recently.

Also, orthopaedic surgeon today said still not enough pain for surgery. I suspect he's waiting for bicep tendon to fully rupture
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    1/2 mile @ 35 min
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 mile wake up call.
    Pushed a little more today. 2:15 total time in pool. I don't have a stop watch to pause during the brief pauses for water or equipment change.
    Kept my stroke per length average under 20 again. Some length down to 18.
    Thinking about hitting the pool on the way home from work for another 80 laps to get just over 10km for the day.
    Maybe I'll get fast enough eventually to do a 10km under 2:15 :)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    So, y'all, I did it--my university (free) pool has been lost to renovations, and I actually, officially, paid money to join a real gym so I can swim. Which pretty much means I have to stick with swimming 2x/week or so to justify it. Here we go!

Today is a run day for me, and I gotta go do that, but of course I had to check out my new turf. Did a mile free and then 5x100 IMs. I think I managed *not* to rest after the fly length...twice?

This length/intensity of workout is no longer wearing out my arms, so it's time to up the ante...

Oh! Also: my new gym has a hot tub and a sauna in the locker room. AND towels. AND lockers you can rent overnight. I felt like hick kid goes to the big city, gawking at everything...
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    2700 yards/ 54 laps/ 1.5 miles in 71 minutes. 500 kickboard--the rest mostly freestyle with some breast/back thrown in for good measure.

Oh, and lapped a couple of college football players somewhere between laps 40 and 50. Poor things--all muscle and no body fat, they have to expend so much energy just to stay afloat while fat mamma here just cruises along like a cork with a little outboard motor on it: putta putta putta putta putta!

Great work everybody!
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    1800 yards today...I think...I have to do math. I hate math.

200 yd warmup - free
    4x 50 pull only, 50 kick on side, 50 free sprint ( :46, :47, :50, :45 - the queen of saving the best for last)
    200 yd cool down, counted strokes on the way down and did breast on the way back. Strokes were 24, 23, 22, 22

So that was 1000 yds and then I decided to do another 16 laps, because you know, why not. I alternated 50 pull/50 free for 15 laps and then did a sprint 50 ( :50) at the end.

So yeah. 1800 yards.

And then I got home and realized I left my water bottle at the pool :( I called but they didn't find it yet. I hope someone turns it in instead of stealing it. That'll teach me to take a good water bottle poolside, I guess.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    @rosebarnalice
    like a cork with a little outboard motor on it: putta putta putta putta putta!
    Any swimmer who has sucked a little water in the Nose will under stand the discomfort of HOT Coffee Nasal Explosion when I read this. LOL now. Shop staff - not so happy with me. Very distinct-Inverted V linear coffee stains on my white t-shirt.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a drylander day ..17.5 miles on stationary bike in the hour

Today

1800 m in 61 minutes, 15 sprint lengths, mixed strokes
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Yep! 60 lengths in 51 minutes. Always feel better when I've swum. (Is it swum, or swam?)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 miles. 2 hours 13 minutes.
  • AquaticQuests
    edited August 2015
    Options
    1,386m in 30min before the pool closed on me!
    For some reason another tough swim with lots of rests!