Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    1800m, 60 mins.

swimming the morning after shoulder day is a special hell.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    UG77 wrote: »
    1800m, 60 mins.

swimming the morning after shoulder day is a special hell.

But you SWAM!*

*Presuming we're talking weight training and not swimming on an injury, which breaks Rule One.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    *Presuming we're talking weight training and not swimming on an injury, which breaks Rule One.

No ma'am. Monday is shoulder day so I can thrash them at the beginning of the cycle when they're "fresh". It's funny that my shoulders have historically been my weak point but since I started swimming and paying attention to athleanx videos, my shoulders are my best.

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Only time for 2 miles this morning.
    Family visiting.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Back in the pool today after seven days out *shock horror* with some tummy issues!
    2.5 ish km 60 ish minutes.
    Just glad to be back in!
    Welcome back Gently after your month away - that was a long break :smiley:
    Great to see all the swims everyone is getting in!

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Our Coach - Swim Instructor had us doing 2 sets of Broken 800 meter Pyramid Front crawl.

2x100m on 120
    3x50m on 90
    4x25m on 50
    3x50m on 90
    2x100m on 120
    Repeat.

A killer workout when you consider I did a Half Marathon in Jasper, AB on Saturday. 2:12:49
    Not a lot of leg strength so it was a really tough struggle for me.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    3.7km on 75minutes
    400 free
    200 back
    4x100 back on 2 minutes
    3x(4x100 free on 1:45)
    150 easy
    8x50 free on 1min
    3x100 back on 2 min
    200 back
    3x100 kick
    200 easy

Tough workout but good. However I left the pool a bit annoyed because you would think some people, especially those who train on a regular basis would have better lane etiquette.
    So, I have been doing these extra workouts with a teammate of mine at lunchtime in a 50m pool to get ready for London at the end of May. We are quite happy doing our sets even if there are a couple of other people much slower than us, just doing their thing in our lane because
    A)some people have lane etiquette and respect when they see you are doing a set
    B ) IT'S A 50METER POOL! No need to get all up on people.

Now usually there is a group of athletes (I think they are all triathletes) Who usually take over at least one lane and sometimes creep into another lane. Today they were all in one lane. A second group of them arrived late when my friend and I were doing our 8x50 and they just hopped into our lane. They were also doing 50s, but no biggy, we just timed it so that we would leave from opposite ends of the pool (they were also doing it on 1 min) At one point all 4 of them are on our end, chatting away, don't leave us any space on the wall, don't move when we arrive. We push off. They leave right behind us, we got to the other end, they push off AT THE SAME Time as us and barrel right over us.
    So their other buddies are standing around in the other lane and I say really loud to my friend: WELL THAT WAS RUDE! IT'S A 50 METER POOL!! For cryin out loud.
    So my friend left but I staid in the lane doing my thing. I however had the courtesy to change lanes when I grabbed my kick board.

ok rant over. I feel much better now...phew
    Thanks for listening
    @fishgutzy I don't know how you manage when you go to China
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Tough workout but good. However I left the pool a bit annoyed because you would think some people, especially those who train on a regular basis would have better lane etiquette.
    So, I have been doing these extra workouts with a teammate of mine at lunchtime in a 50m pool to get ready for London at the end of May. We are quite happy doing our sets even if there are a couple of other people much slower than us, just doing their thing in our lane because

Now usually there is a group of athletes (I think they are all triathletes) Who usually take over at least one lane and sometimes creep into another lane. Today they were all in one lane. A second group of them arrived late when my friend and I were doing our 8x50 and they just hopped into our lane. They were also doing 50s, but no biggy, we just timed it so that we would leave from opposite ends of the pool (they were also doing it on 1 min) At one point all 4 of them are on our end, chatting away, don't leave us any space on the wall, don't move when we arrive. We push off. They leave right behind us, we got to the other end, they push off AT THE SAME Time as us and barrel right over us.
    So their other buddies are standing around in the other lane and I say really loud to my friend: WELL THAT WAS RUDE! IT'S A 50 METER POOL!! For cryin out loud.
    So my friend left but I staid in the lane doing my thing. I however had the courtesy to change lanes when I grabbed my kick board.

This is the kind of drama that keeps me from trying the "circle swims", as a relatively beginning swimmer. :confused:
  • aliciamariaq
    Options
    MightyLolo wrote: »

This is the kind of drama that keeps me from trying the "circle swims", as a relatively beginning swimmer. :confused:

The majority of people are considerate, and if you do get the odd stubborn person you kinda just shake it off, so it really shouldn't put you off. In fact, in all my years of swimming I have never seen anything like that, maybe that is why I was being so dramatic.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Not sure today really counts - basically I was playing mermaids with my daughter (who has been poorly so missing her swim classes). Still that was a lot of dolphin kicking...and it was really good to be with her in the pool.

We wereBumping into lots of people in the family lane, but occasionally dipping (with her!) into the proper swimming lanes. Trying to teach her some basic lane etiquette along the way....

To be honest Mighty!oLo in years of swimming I have only ever had one person be rude to me in the pool. And only seen one person get wound up with someone else. I've had a few not realise I am trying to do 'on the clock' swimming, And 'people' get in the 'wrong' lane the whole time - but again nobody gets too wound up. We have wide lanes, you can pass. It is a community pool. I like that all sorts and speeds go there.

I suspect any tension happens more in pools with slim lanes, and lots of fast people. But overall swimmers are nice people. And even if they do get irritated they keep it to themselves (with just the occasional online rant!).

So jump on in and give the circle swimming a go. Just, if you are having a break at one end, try to keep out of the way of people doing turns by resting at the edge of the lane not the middle. And if you think you are slower than others, it is more relaxing to wait until the faster people have set off before you start your length. It was scary first time I tried - nowadays I don't give it a second thought.
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If we are allowed to rant today, then I'm gonna let loose, because where I swim there is no etiquette at all.

Unfortunately I have bad experiences almost every single time I swim. I swim at a 25m community pool in a double wide lane with a minimum of six people but usually closer to ten to twelve, and occasionally up to 15 people. Most people don't ever look where they are going and they are unaware of who is behind them. They will push off right in your face as you come in, even if there was lots of room to move over. They will backstroke down the middle of the lane (and on top of other people) or breast stroke at a snails pace up the middle, not caring if they hit you (or other people either). They just keep on kicking.

They stop on the walls and line up like ducks, or sit in the middle with arms spread out on either side preventing your turn. They swim on a diagonal from one side of the lane to the other as they approach the wall to go up the other way and they don't give a crap about anyone but themselves and their own workout. People are constantly cutting each other off. No one is on a clock but me, they don't even understand what a clock is. If they see me coming in fast at the wall, I'm really lucky if they move. Usually I have to land somewhere else. Ive learned that I really don't know my times, because I waste so many extra metres with every length of the pool.

I've seen shouting matches between swimmers and been hit by people numerous times while trying to squeeze by breast strokers who are wearing fins.

Over the last several months I've learned how to anticipate who does what and dodge people every length, who veers which way (they are always the same people) and get used to swimming in churning splashy water from certain people who are trying to swim faster as I pass them because they think I shouldn't be passing them. It's gotten to the point where I'm looking to join a masters group, because I can't stand it any longer. I am so looking forward to swimming in a real lane with respectful people who know the basics of swim etiquette.

Ugh! I got it all out there! I envy people who only share with a few in the lane. And that's what it's like swimming in a community pool in my city!!!
  • aliciamariaq
    Options
    Oh Lord SwimmyD! That sounds like a jungle!! LOL!
    I don't mind different speeds, different strokes, or when people just don't realize you are catching up and not getting out of the way. That's life in the swim lane I guess. What bothered me is that these guys were training just like us and totally disrespected us, I think on purpose. Which was kind of a joke because they are pretty much exactly the same speed as us. Normally when this happens either you ask them to join you or they ask you to join them (we were doing the same exact set on the same interval) or you just live and let live. I've joined plenty of groups doing intervals during the open swimming times. It was kind of an alpha dog thing that was just so unnecessary.

But SwimmyD, you probably should join a Masters team if swimming during open hours is so frustrating. That is why I ended up rejoining, although my situation was not nearly as bad as what you describe! Are there no times when the pool is emptier? One pool I went to was pretty empty early in the morning and another one cleared out right after lunchtime so I tried to time my swims accordingly.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I swam yesterday and a few times last week. Nothing impressive. Just about 35-40 minutes of mixed sets. I'm ready to get out of our narrow-lane indoor pool to our outdoor pool on May 1. I tired of the indoor pool this year much faster than in previous years.

We mostly have good etiquette in the pool but the narrow lanes of the indoor pool make it hard sometimes so you get to know who you can and can't swim with. Some of the tall guys have such long arms and wide strokes, you are going to get whacked in the head if you aren't really careful! I've never had anyone be intentionally rude and that would really stink.

What we have is a group of a few ladies who do nothing but complain in the locker room. They complain about the temperature, they complain about the other swimmers, they complain about the schedule, they complain about Masters and/or the high school team taking up "the best" lane space. It is unending. At first I ignored it, then I tried to be positive, then I told the worst offender if all she could do was complain, then she needed to stop talking to me. THAT felt great. Now they shut up when I walk in and ignore me and I am happy again.
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Alicia- it sounds like it was really quite terrible. I agree, no excuses for a 50m pool. It was a obviously a testosterone fuelled thing. They were trying to prove a point or something. Except when they go the same speed- no point to be made!

At first I didn't mind so much. I was testing myself to see if I could swim again. But as the months went on, it started to grate on me. And yes, I don't mind if I end up sneaking up behind someone because I'm going faster- as long as they don't cut me off because they veer off on an angle towards the opposite side of the lane. Unfortunately most do this in my pool! It's really weird because they do it to each other too. We are talking ten feet of veering! I think to myself - hmm...do I go super wide and try to turn on the left of them or to the right. It's always a guessing game.

I try to talk to people, be really friendly and all. But I am pretty much the only one who talks to others. It's a strange place for sure. The lifeguards are always shaking their heads, and complain to me it's like babysitting five year olds.

Believe it or not, this is actually the "quiet time." Busy time has a minimum of 15, and up to 20 in the lane.

MPeters- good for you!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Family visiting. But hoping to get in a swim later.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Did an extra half mile today, so 2 miles in ~ 95 minutes. Yay me!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Wednesday 2.5 km swim 54 min - just 2 of us in the whole pool :smile:
    Thursday 2.5 km swim 57 min

Talking of lane etiquette I had a serious whack on the head on 2 occasions Tuesday by kids swimming widthwise!
    Hardest whacks I remember receiving in a good long while!

Great lane etiquette rules Noel!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Adult Swim Club - Different Coach - Instructor than normal but the regular Coach had left a workout.
    All Front Crawl Sprint repeats.
    Warmup - 50m Kick & 50m Swim x 2 = 200m
    25m @ 55secs, @ 50secs, @ 45secs, @ 40secs X3 = 300m
    25m @ 50secs, @ 45secs, @ 40secs, @ 35secs X3 = 300m
    Kick set from hell
    Fr 50m @ 90 sec x 16 = 800m
    Bk 50m @ 120 sec x 4 = 200m
    Br 50m @ 120 sec x 4 = 200m
    Cool down 100m. Total 2100m.
    It was an epic and a great day in the Pool.
    Since I also incorporate running into my Physical Fitness routine, I understand how important doing Speed work / Sprints are so doing a mega killer set like this really complimented the Broken 800m x 2 that we did on Tuesday.

Did I ever mention that our Coach is a 17 year old Young Lady who holds close to half the records in the pool in all disciplines/distances: Front, Back, Breast and Butterfly. :)
    So she has some mad swimming skills. Sometimes great athletes make lousy coach's, She is a great athlete and a great coach.

She has been doing all of the Adult Swim club and Water Safety Instructor courses so it has been interesting seeing her confidence grow and maturity change as she has had pretty much the same core group of 5 in Adult Swim Club for the whole year, so is comfortable to push us hard, its rumoured we have even been asking for harder sessions >:)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    I got to the pool early yesterday to get an hour in with my fins (on and off) like you guys suggested. I did something to my left arm (I can't even begin to describe what I did, or where it hurts, or replicate it on demand...) so I kept the fins on a lot to just focus on legs. It wasn't a particularly hard swim, but an hour was a good enough workout. My water fitness instructor said to lay off it for a few days, so even though I drive around with my swim backpack, I know I can't NOT use my arms if I go... Until Monday, I think I'll rest it.

I'm shocked at some of the swim conditions you guys have! I've encountered a couple of doozies before, but in general, the swimmers have been great, and usually we only have to circle with 3-4. Any more than that, and people usually get fed up and get out (if there's only one lane, it's nearly impossible for the fast swimmers to get a proper workout in-there's a woman who is literally dog paddling down the lane). I always feel a little rushed circle swimming, so it's usually a better workout for me :blush: