Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    Options
    Swam yesterday and will probably not swim anymore for 2.5 weeks. I'm away on business next week, and there's only an 18m pool, and on a short vacation the week afterwards. Oh well...
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, swam 2 miles today in 74 min.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Big drop in the time, Bruce, nicely done....

yirara - a workout in an 18m pool is better than no workout at all, if you can build time into the schedule you'd be better served by doing as much as you can....

Swam my "other" workout today - 250 free, 500 free, 1000 free, 5 x 200 IM, 500 free, 5 x 100 IM, 1000 free, 500 free, 250 free in 97 minutes....
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    Options
    What does IM mean?

Yea, I might make use of the pool and work on my arm stroke or leg kick for breast stroke, or work on turning. That should work well in a tiny pool :p. Maybe that's an option
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    im = individual medley.
    normally 4 lengths of. front crawl,breast,butterfly and breaststroke.
    i do im of just alternating breast/ front crawl.
    did 80 mins today in new 25m pool.
    was considerably slower due to adapting to twice size pool.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    200 IM is 2 lengths each of butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke & freestyle, 100 IM is 1 length of each stroke. CW is right. it stands for "Individual Medley" - a race swum by a single swimmer doing all the strokes, as opposed to the medley relay in a meet where 4 swimmers each do one of the strokes......
  • Macstraw
    Options
    CW, you'll adapt quickly, especially once you realize that you can swim that length with no troubles......
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Today was hard gym day hence tomorrow likely to be an uncomfortable swim day, especially as sometime was spent on the bench press!
    I've never felt that bench press (or press ups) and swimming go well together!
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Probably because you're blasting a lot of the same muscles. Would distance sets help more, where you can pace yourself a little slower & concentrate more on long, stretching strokes?
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Probably because you're blasting a lot of the same muscles. Would distance sets help more, where you can pace yourself a little slower & concentrate more on long, stretching strokes?

Possibly!
    I'm thinking of introducing one 5km freestyle only swim every two weeks or so to tick that longer distance box!
    I guess I'll need to start that anyway, if I'm to attempt a 10 km by year end (the thought of that is tiring in itself)

But I generally also find that bench press and press ups tend to negatively impact especially butterfly in a pretty significant way!
    But since I'm not competitive swimming I guess I can live with that!
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Swam!
    2.4 km - IM - 68 min
  • Macstraw
    Options
    The distance sets are nice for getting stretched out. I love doing them, but then again, I've always been a distance guy - I've never been a good sprinter. Back in the Stone Age, when I swam in school I did the 500 free & the 200 free, sometimes the 100 fly instead of the 200 - but I'd take any of them over a 50 free race anytime.......

Swam 6500 yards of freestyle in 114 minutes today.......
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    Yes, swam 1.5 miles today in 80 min. Did a lot of drills, rotation, and fist strokes.
    Fist strokes are hard and you do not move far or fast.
  • cw106
    Options
    day 2 of new pool.slower times as having to pace myself more,iguess?
  • Macstraw
    Options
    More than likely, CW, that'll improve as you get the feel for how far you can push yourself.....
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Yes, swam 1.5 miles today in 80 min. Did a lot of drills, rotation, and fist strokes.
    Fist strokes are hard and you do not move far or fast.
    Wow - good stuff!
    Fist strokes? Not heard of those before!
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    Fist strokes, keep your hand closed into a fist. It makes you learn to engage your forearm. Read the post about the article from Phelps, "Seven steps to better Swimming".
  • cw106
    Options
    2k but struggled to complete.
    will post separately later for ideas.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    No swim today, my wife asked me to stay home to get the kids launched to school. I did get out & walk, & I'll be back at the pool tomorrow.......
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Didn't do my usual 5:30 am swim but had swim stuff in bag in car all day but then had to console with a bereaved friend in the eve, so it will have to wait to 5:30 am tomorrow!
    Life happens!