Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Great job, Noel & Carl!!! Noel - there are plenty of people here doing open water swims, I'm sure they could give you great advice on how to address the temperature issue....

The best help I have ever had is a swimming buddy who swims in the sea most days and gets in first and shouts encouragements to the others as we face the mental block of getting in. Where we get in is a stone step drop that is about level with the sea so you step off the ledge straight into deep cold water - there is no gradual walk in! Once in though, we don't want to get back out as we get used to the water. Its largely a mental barrier.

• clairemobrien6405
    clairemobrien6405 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bama, of course it counts - I don't see anywhere a definition that defines swimming as only backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly or freestyle......

Claire, would it suit you better to eat less at each meal but eat more times during the day? One theory is that eating 6 small meals per day helps with weight loss by helping to regulate the metabolism. Great job on how your swimming distance is coming along!!!!

Great day yesterday, Clive!!!!

6 meals s day sounds good TY will try xx
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    YES: 1 MILE @ 36 MIN.
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    40x50 laps, 1.1miles
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Back after a week out!
    Raining heavily so swam in a pool that I've never been in before!
    It's heated way too high for longer swims especially as I usually swim in non heated pools!
    It also looked to be either 18 or 20m and not my usually 25m.
    Anyway, good to be back.
    Approximately 2.5 km
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, AQ!!!!!

Swam today: 250 free, 500 free, 1000 free, 5 x 200 I.M., 200 free, 3 x 200 I.M., 2 x 100 I.M., 1000 free, 500 free, 250 free

Took 100 yards off the freestyle set between the blocks of I.M.'s & added it to make a 3rd I.M. in that 2nd block a 200. Next change will be to drop that free by another 100 & make the 4th I.M. in that 2nd block a 200, last change will be to knock out that free set altogether & do 10 200 I.M.'s. That's probably quite a way off, especially since I won't be there quite as steady through the end of the year & then I'll probably miss the 1st 3 weeks+ in January, but we'll take it as it comes....
  • Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I swam an hour yesterday and an hour today. But I cant get to a pool now for a week
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Just take advantage of it whenever you can get there, Fred - great job the past couple of days!!!!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1300 35:24

I have discovered that while I infinitely prefer swimming in the morning, but there ain't nuttin' like it to mellow you out after a long day.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Fred77 wrote: »
    I swam an hour yesterday and an hour today. But I cant get to a pool now for a week

glad you finally joined us,fred.
    great bunch here.
    enjoy the trip back to the old country,come back refreshed.
    to be sure,you and macstraw will get on just grand!

swam 50m only,old fella was in distress at edge of pool so helped out .ended up driving him home as he was a bit shaky.will return him for his car tomorrow when i go back to gym/pool.
    staff were fantastic too.

• Macstraw
    Options
    That was a good reason to cut the workout short, Clive, & darn nice of you too!!!!! Hope he's feeling better & it wasn't anything too serious.....
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    cw106 wrote: »
    Fred77 wrote: »

glad you finally joined us,fred.
    great bunch here.
    enjoy the trip back to the old country,come back refreshed.
    to be sure,you and macstraw will get on just grand!

swam 50m only,old fella was in distress at edge of pool so helped out .ended up driving him home as he was a bit shaky.will return him for his car tomorrow when i go back to gym/pool.
    staff were fantastic too.

Good job intervening CW!
    I'm sure he appreciates it big time! You've had a very positive impact in his life no doubt!
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    2.5 km
    Back in regular colder pool!
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Great to see all the new faces in here!
    And some of y'all are "easing into it" with 4.2 km swims?
    My goodness!!!
  • clairemobrien6405
    Options
    2.05 Miles today, I'm a bit of a slow swimmer took me 2 hours 55 mins, but I blame it on the fact I am an amputee :smiley:
  • Macstraw
    Options
    All freestyle today: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250 in 114 minutes.....
  • clairemobrien6405
    Options
    All freestyle today: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250 in 114 minutes.....

Goodness what a distance :)
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1400 41:27
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    Training for the Channel @Macstraw?
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options