Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    @girlwithcurls2 - If your class is 60 minutes long and you are doing 40 minutes before that, that seems like plenty in one day. An option that comes to mind is to swim on the days you don't have cardio class? So you could do 60 minutes of swimming on non-cardioclass days?

Oh 3500 yard @ 75 minutes, 14,000 for the week, which was the goal!
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You guys are fast. :)

You are too!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    What is Tomb Stone Kick?

Yes, I am curious to know as well

I'm GUESSING it's where you hold the kick board vertically so it looks like a tombstone and creates resistance. @juliet3455 ?
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    What is Tomb Stone Kick?
    Yes, I am curious to know as well
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    I'm GUESSING it's where you hold the kick board vertically so it looks like a tombstone and creates resistance. @juliet3455 ?

@Montepulciano & @aliciamariaq
    @emmab0902 Beat me to the answer. Also we were doing an Incremental Version of it where in the last 5 meters of the lane we fully submerged the Kick Board for Maximum Resistance.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Awful awful session today with masters 2150m

400 warmup

16x 50 free with parachute 10s rest

6x 75 br with paddles

3x 100IM

200 warmdown

I've never used a parachute before and was horrified at how slow I was. Significantly slower than people I am faster than without gear.

Coach said it shows I'm losing my hold on the water somewhere.

To be honest I left the pool totally demoralised and seriously considering not going back ever again. :cry:
  • aliciamariaq
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Awful awful session today with masters 2150m

400 warmup

16x 50 free with parachute 10s rest

6x 75 br with paddles

3x 100IM

200 warmdown

I've never used a parachute before and was horrified at how slow I was. Significantly slower than people I am faster than without gear.

Coach said it shows I'm losing my hold on the water somewhere.

To be honest I left the pool totally demoralised and seriously considering not going back ever again. :cry:

No Emma don't feel that way! Although I probably would feel that way after 6x75 breastroke with paddles. Yikes! Torture!

You should consider what the Coach said about your technique and focus on that as your goal rather than speed etc.

I really wish my coach would do more technique and focusing on things we have to work on rather than pounding out the laps, all freestyle, all speedwork. It gets kind of boring. I would love to do more technique and more variety of strokes. That's why I am sometimes envious of the workouts you and @juliet3455 post.

• Montepulciano
    Options
    @emma0902 - I look at this way, imagine how much faster you will be when you sort out catching more water? If you were doing everything perfectly, improvement would only come from cranking out yardage. Plus you have a coach who is interested in helping you?
  • emmab0902
    Options
    @emma0902 - I look at this way, imagine how much faster you will be when you sort out catching more water? If you were doing everything perfectly, improvement would only come from cranking out yardage. Plus you have a coach who is interested in helping you?

Hopefully. But he hasn't actually told me specifically what I am doing wrong. Hopefully he will and help me fix it.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    That's why I am sometimes envious of the workouts you and @juliet3455 post.

@aliciamariaq Thanks for the Great Compliment. There is no reason you can't copy our postings and do them yourself. In fact I have been guilty of copying some of the workouts @emmab0902 posts and attempt them.

All the workouts I post are built by our Swim Instructor/Coach. Ironically she is a very Mature 17 yr. old Lady ( her name covers the record board in the Trophy Case ) . Unfortunately she will be leaving us next year to attend University. Quite often she cruises the web looking for drills and workouts that support the drill-technique she is try to re-enforce/improve. If she knows you and has your e-mail she will send her compiled workouts in Word Docs from the Pools e-mail so that is how I have compiled a folder of workouts. She has some that are a very short 400m in length and then she stacks different ones together to re-enforce the concept of the Drill and add distance. She also coach's the 12-14 year olds.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    8x 100 RIM on 2.15

Twice through the following
    100 free kick
    150 back
    75 br
    25 fly kick on back

6x 50 free

Stupid swimming with bungy cord which again showed me up but without identifying actual problem.

100 warmdown

If Wednesday's session is another demoralising one I'm walking out and that will be the end of my swimming. Feeling pretty upset and angry at being told there's something wrong but no effort to pinpoint exactly what or try to fix it. 100% disillusioned. :cry:
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 mile wake up.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    @emmab0902 Before walking away - Stand up to the Coach and ask for some positive guidance on what he/she sees as being wrong so you can work on it as a collaborative team.

No swim today - recovering from our local running club Fall Challenge 7 Peaks / Pubs. Resulted in a Calf strain. :(:s
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    3500 yards @ 75 minutes. Lovely Monday swim.
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    @juliet3455 - Sorry to hear about your injury, do take care of yourself and your strained calf.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @emmab0902 Before walking away - Stand up to the Coach and ask for some positive guidance on what he/she sees as being wrong so you can work on it as a collaborative team.

No swim today - recovering from our local running club Fall Challenge 7 Peaks / Pubs. Resulted in a Calf strain. :(:s

Yep that's my plan
  • aliciamariaq
    Options
    Ugh, another endurance/pace practice last night.

400 warm up
    12x50 on a minute with paddles

6x100 holding 1:30 with 20 sec rest
    6x100 holding 1:30 with 15 sec rest
    6x100 holding 1:30 with 10 sec rest

4x100 kick your choice
    200 cool down

• Montepulciano
    Options
    Interesting set, @aliciamariaq. I am by nature a cardio/endurance sort, so like those kinds of workouts.

3500 @ 75 minutes.
  • juliet3455
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Kick Opulus - Descending sets followed by Front Crawl and Back Stroke - Descending Sets with strokes off the wall and controlled breathing.

100m Fr + 50m Fr Kick + 50m pull as warm-up.

4 x 25m Fr: 45s, 40s, 35s, 30s - reality for me was 45, 40, 40, 45 I have a weakkkk kick
    4 x 25m Br: 55, 50, 45, 40 - these were easy for me
    4 x 25m Bk: ??? Just kicked until I hit the wall - 10s rest. Turned and repeated
    4 x 25m Fr: 50, 45, 40, 40 Adjusted my times from first set.

10 x 50m Fr Descending Rest - Flip turn & 3 strokes before breathing. 15s, 10s, 5s, 0.
    Repeat kick set

10 x 50m BK Descending Rest - Turn & 3 strokes off the turn before Breathing.15s, 10s, 5s, 0.
    Repeat kick set ( 1200m total of kicks)

10 x 50m Br Descending Rest - Flip turn & Whip Kick before surfacing. 15s, 10s, 5s, 0.
    1500m total of Stroke/Breathing set

200m Easy with turns and 3 strokes before breathing as cool down.

Killer - <3 - 3100m Total: Going hard the whole time.
    Usually we are limited to 55 mins = Avg 2000>2200m; today there was nothing scheduled in the hour after us so it was an open - free swim so us slower swimmers we just kept plugging away at the workout.

I definitely need to do more kick sets as it is the weakest portion of my swim - except in Breast where it is my strongest.

Strange how quickly the body can recover from some muscle strains-injuries and others just drag on. My calf feels dangerously good. No discomfort at all. Thought I might feel it on the push offs or the end of the super kick sets.
    Will power walk tomorrow instead of running just to give it a little more low impact recovery time.
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    3500 yards @ 73 minutes. Usually take Wed off, but the pool is closed this weekend for a meet on Friday/Sat/Sun.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    Noon Hour Splash
    250 Fr, 200 Br, 250 Bk, 250 Fr.
    250 Fr Kick Fin assist
    250 Bk Kick Fin assist