Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 miles today.
    Pool heater must be having an issue. Easter was 86-87. Usually 80-82. Makes a big difference if I want to do sprint sets.
    HAD to stick to straight pacing.
    I forgot how warm 86 feels. I've done 88 in the past.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    A very unexciting 2500m. Still struggling to get back into it after being sick!

1000m free

500 kick

500 pull

4x 100IM

100 warmdown.

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    just 1000m this morning

lazy freestyle and a few breaststroke. Just keeping moving after run last night!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm not like a real swimmer like you all- started swimming again after 30 years sloth. My local affordable pool is weird size (17.5 meters) so cant do easy sets so I'm relying on my Apple Watch to tell me how far I swim.

Until today, for a variety of reasons including plain old out of shape - have only been able to do breaststroke for multiple laps.

Again, my swims look wimpy, but for a fat old fart getting her feet back in the chlorine- well I'm pleased.

Today: first swim 1250 meters. (Lap Breaststroke , lap crawl, lap Breaststroke , lap backstroke , lap Breaststroke and repeat). Second swim: 550 meters crawl - 15 minutes).

I will be trying to do 3 or possibly 4 swim days a week. I will need to put together some sort of workout plan.

Hello swimmers!

• emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    @ryenday we are all real swimmers. Some go faster some go further but we are all the real deal. There's always someone faster - even Michael Phelps got g silver medal in Rio. So enjoy your swimming and the shared love of the water you will find here :smiley:
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    @ryenday everybody's swims count here. I am a late learner (sliding home to my 50th birthday this winter and took up swimming only 3 years ago). I'm pretty slow, and I'm sure that I don't have the most efficient stroke (I can only do the front crawl), but it gets the job done for now :). I also take a water fitness class a few times a week, and I find that it is a great complement to swimming laps!

Welcome!!
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    Forgot to post... I did swim this morning! Another outdoor swim. Pool closes in a week for the season, then the indoor pool will close for about 10 days for maintenance :(. Boo hoo! Got my mile in today, plus a few extra laps to round up to 40 and then "one more" for @fishgutzy , lol.
  • stickersticker
    stickersticker Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yea
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Yesterday, the pool was hot going in. Something up with the thermostat? Maybe.
    Must have been at least 88F. Only made 80 laps.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    6000 yards today. Just over 3.25 miles.
    Pool still above normal temp. Felt warm going in. Much prefer 80 or lower.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    1km this morning. 40 lengths, 20 normal and 20 with my hand fins :)
    Think that is going to be it each morning this week - have more squash games after work and don't want to over do anything!

@fishgutzy - yeah hate it when the pool is too hot. I am always the first one to nag the staff to actually check the thermostat!!
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    Outdoor pool is only available for four more days, and today it's closed in the morning (lap time) for the eclipse. I suppose they don't want us swimming in darkness... ;)
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Outdoor pool is only available for four more days, and today it's closed in the morning (lap time) for the eclipse. I suppose they don't want us swimming in darkness... ;)

Cloudy. Some intermittent heavy rain. So we'll only see the brief moment of darkness.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Only 106 laps this morning. Pool still hot going in. Going to go again this afternoon hopefully.
    Gotta test out the Fenix 5X. (I'd never pay as much for 'just a watch' even if I could afford a Rolex.)
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The last week or so, my outdoor community pool has brought a new and amazing swimmer. When I first saw him I knew that he had gone really, really far. Figured he must have been swimming at the national level, as all four stokes are absolute perfection and his transitional turns are fast and oh so furious. Found out his name, then looked him up. Yup. Olympic trials. He retired four years ago, but still so fast, streamlined and powerful.

I've seen him swim three times now and I honestly can't believe what I'm watching. I've never seen anyone that good up close, never mind sharing a lane with someone like that. I am in total awe of his skill.... anybody else swim with a pro lately? It totally makes my day!!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @Skipjack66 Never been in the pool with a international grade athlete, but there are 3 ladies and 2 guys in our little community who win/place at the provincial level. If I end up sharing a lane with them I let them know right at the start that I might be lurking/sneaking an underwater peak at their technique. Flip turns or even just the pull / kick sequence and technique they have in the water. One of the ladies ( 6ft ) does front crawl 25m in 10-12 strokes and her back/fly are just about the same. Of course as she puts it she could swim before she could walk.
    I have had them as coach's for our Adult Swim Club and they had to adjust the 25/50/100m set times quite a bit to match our skill level. Actually made us laugh when they started writing the times down on the workout board.
    Yes it makes my day when I can see them in the water.
    Unfortunately for us 3 of them are off to University/College this fall.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Went back for a second swim to finish 4 miles.
    Pool heater has been fixed but temp was still 88.
    Should start cooling down though.
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @Skipjack66 Never been in the pool with a international grade athlete, but there are 3 ladies and 2 guys in our little community who win/place at the provincial level. If I end up sharing a lane with them I let them know right at the start that I might be lurking/sneaking an underwater peak at their technique. Flip turns or even just the pull / kick sequence and technique they have in the water. One of the ladies ( 6ft ) does front crawl 25m in 10-12 strokes and her back/fly are just about the same. Of course as she puts it she could swim before she could walk.
    I have had them as coach's for our Adult Swim Club and they had to adjust the 25/50/100m set times quite a bit to match our skill level. Actually made us laugh when they started writing the times down on the workout board.
    Yes it makes my day when I can see them in the water.
    Unfortunately for us 3 of them are off to University/College this fall.

Wow! So great that you had them coach you! Too bad (for you) they are heading off! But maybe they will be home in the summer and you will get them back next year? Does your club do coaching in the summer too?
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @Skipjack66 No they don't do a program in the summer. With all the kids out of school the time is allocated to swim lessons for kids.
    I am okay with that, if one kid's life is saved by the lessons or the first aid they take then its a great thing.
    Sometimes we will do an ad-hoc session in the summer on Wednesday evenings ( lowest # of swimmers during lane swim ) where each week a different club member will push out a routine/set. Last year it was all focussed on Tri-Athlon ( pool and open water ) . Right now our local pool closed 2 weeks early due to the failure of the circulation pumps. Looking forward to October when the club formally start's up again for the winter.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Great to be swimming again after road trip.

Getting stronger! I can swim laps with more crawl then breaststroke as of today. Today I was swimming two crawl, one breaststroke, two crawl, one backstroke, two crawl, One breast stroke…

1960 meters total swim.

I've never been around Olympic class athletes, but my brother did make it to nationals as the backstroke leg of the relay team in college - so I have seen good swimming. I have a proprioception disorder that makes it impossible for me to flip turn, so I never really put in the effort to find out if I could be anywhere near as good as my brother was. I regret that now.