Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 mile swim to start my Saturday.
    Gonna go out later for a walk and probably hit the gym again to do some weighs.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    2000 meters, 64 minutes, mostly crawl, some back and breaststroke ( about 150 meters each).

Picked up some baby shampoo as mentioned In a thread elsewhere in this group - hope it helps goggle fogging. My pool closed in Sunday so I will check it out Monday
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    2000 meters, 64 minutes, mostly crawl, some back and breaststroke ( about 150 meters each).

Picked up some baby shampoo as mentioned In a thread elsewhere in this group - hope it helps goggle fogging. My pool closed in Sunday so I will check it out Monday

personally, the best solution i have found is to use only Aquasphere goggles. I just wipe them in the pool with my swim suit. They stay fog free with no spit or soap.
    And baby shampoo is not tear free. But if you rinse too much out then the anti fog effect is lost
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    7 km swim this morning.
    Since I'm new at this Wills Gym the life guards still exchange the looks of disbelief when i get it if the pool after more than 2 hours.
    Garmin says it took me 2:33 today.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Out of town in Grande Prairie so hit the pool there. A very slow 1500m. But I was in the water which is all that matters. Our local pool is closed until the end of Sept so my only chance to swim is out of town. :/
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    6.4km. Bordered one demolition derby for about an hour with singe vey show breast stroker ladies thinking they should be in the fast lane.
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    @fishgutzy I really feel your pain. This is the constant state of my indoor community pool which I will have to return to next week. For the summer months I've been able to swim at the outdoor community pool, and it's so quiet. These same folks who are swimming at the indoor community won't swim outdoors in the sun, so usually have a lane to myself or share with just one or two other people. It's been absolutely heavenly and I am DREADING returning to the indoor pool. Because it's always mayhem. So many people with so little swim etiquette.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    First proper swim in ages. It's been a long grind back from being sick last month.

3000m

600 warmup

300 kick

6x 200 free as
    3x 200 on 5.00 holding 2.55 or below
    4x 100 on 2.30 as odds 1.25 evens 1.20
    4x 50 on 1.15 holding 36

300 kick

600 warmdown

Was challenging after six weeks off!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    6.4km.
    Much better tonight. Actually had a bunch of front crawl. Only one slowski but she had the good sense to time her laps to minimize traffic issues.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    @fishgutzy As someone who learned to swim 5 years ago the memory of being the slowski are still in my mind. I was always conscious of not being the Lane Blocker so I like hearing that there are others out in the water who are the same. I used to " shoulder check" when breathing and if I could see someone catching up I would stay hard on the rope and stop in the corner to allow them a clean pass in the middle of the lane. I still do that for Water Breaks or Equipment adjustments/changes.

Out of town early so got early bird swim at the pool in GP. 1500m of crawl.
    My local pool is closed for extended maintenance cycle until end of Sept.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @fishgutzy As someone who learned to swim 5 years ago the memory of being the slowski are still in my mind. I was always conscious of not being the Lane Blocker so I like hearing that there are others out in the water who are the same. I used to " shoulder check" when breathing and if I could see someone catching up I would stay hard on the rope and stop in the corner to allow them a clean pass in the middle of the lane. I still do that for Water Breaks or Equipment adjustments/changes.

Out of town early so got early bird swim at the pool in GP. 1500m of crawl.
    My local pool is closed for extended maintenance cycle until end of Sept.

funny thing is that at home in the US, I'm not fast. Maybe around average for my age.
    Some of the twenty something Chinese men will sprint past me but then rest while I do 2 more laps. So their 44m time might be faster one time but my 88m time is faster :smile:
    I have, in previous trips, offered tips based in my experience, to help a swimmer become more efficient. But I wait for them to try to talk to me first.
    We have all seen swimmers who look physically stronger but don't yet have the efficiency part figured out.
    I'm not the fastest, but not the slowest. But I'm often the longest swimmer in the pool :smiley:
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2200m

500 warmup

500 kick

10x 100 free as
    2 on 2.10
    2 on 2.00
    2 on 1.50
    2 on 1.45
    2 on 2.00 as 50 steady 50 fast
    All had to be 1.27 or faster

200 warmdown
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Only 4.4km last night. Took it easy. 7 days in a row. Usually take 1 rest day in 7.
    I was feeling it a little in my shoulders. Lane was good for most of it. Got a little crowded toward the end.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Got my mile in before class. Pool closes for 2 weeks after today. I can swim at a different pool, but it's across town and mucks with my schedule. Swims are feeling good these days :)
  • ryenday
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    6.4km.
    Much better tonight. Actually had a bunch of front crawl. Only one slowski but she had the good sense to time her laps to minimize traffic issues.

Slowski here! But, a courteous slowski who always tries to time her laps so that everyone can get by her easily. That often means waiting at the wall for a few seconds so the fast guy can finish a lap and flip and start before I push off. But it has been a long time since I swam anywhere with a real pool and had to share lanes. (I'm sorry, I like my pool fine, but 17.5 meter length is NOT a real pool to me. )

1550 meters today. That takes me 45 minutes more or less. Cant even imagine the amounts y'all post. Of course I'm an old lady, so I have some excuse.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1 mile @ 64 min.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    10km. Yahoo!
    The life guards were looking at each other and pointing at the clock when i finally got out of the pool.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Slowski here! But, a courteous slowski who always tries to time her laps so that everyone can get by her easily. That often means waiting at the wall for a few seconds so the fast guy can finish a lap and flip and start before I push off. But it has been a long time since I swam anywhere with a real pool and had to share lanes. (I'm sorry, I like my pool fine, but 17.5 meter length is NOT a real pool to me. )

1550 meters today. That takes me 45 minutes more or less. Cant even imagine the amounts y'all post. Of course I'm an old lady, so I have some excuse.

@ryenday Welcome to the group. As some one who used to be a slowski, now a midpackski, I understand and really appreciate the courtesy of a fellow athlete who interrupts their routine to allow others an easy pass. I make sure I let them know with a quick Thank-You by stopping in one of my laps.
    17.5 meter ( 57 ft ) is a very strange pool length.
  • ryenday
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @ryenday Welcome to the group. As some one who used to be a slowski, now a midpackski, I understand and really appreciate the courtesy of a fellow athlete who interrupts their routine to allow others an easy pass. I make sure I let them know with a quick Thank-You by stopping in one of my laps.
    17.5 meter ( 57 ft ) is a very strange pool length.

Odd size indeed. I swim at a fitness center that is the for profit side of a rehabilitation center. The short pool is all shallow so rehabilitation patients can do some lengthy water walking. But mostly if the pool doesn't have a class scheduled I don't have a problem getting a lane - rarely more than one or two others in the pool at all.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    6.4km today. Pool traffic wasn't too bad.