Replies

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2 miles @‌ 67 minutes
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    1000m free. Ice cold pool as the heaters failed.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    2.5 km 56:17
    Beginning to approach pre stroke rate modification times, and that's without tumble turns and with lots of little pauses for breath!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1600 46:09
  • Tamois
    Tamois Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Worst swim ever. I managed 650m in 30 minutes because I was dodging lots of screaming splashing kids and various swimming lessons. Note to self - don't go swimming between 3 and 5pm!
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yes I did, covered 1500 yards in 44 minutes, which is decent for me, broken into 3 x 500 with 30 second rest between sets.
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »
    I'm brand new to the group and just starting swimming after not being in a pool in over 10 years. Needless to say I have no stamina. I did my best to time my shorts swims (swim half a lap or so at a time and rest) and did about 20 minutes total. Hoping to get better over the coming weeks.

I was like you only 21 months ago - hadn't swum (except on holiday) for 30 years!. Building up stamina was the hardest part, but it didn't take long so just keep at it and you'll be there in no time.

I did swim this morning - did 1.5km crawl, 200m breaststroke and 200m backstroke. Also managed 100m fly, albeit in 5 x 20m bursts with long rests inbetween!

Takes about 3 - 5 weeks to start building up a little bit of endurance.
  • Bruceapple
    Options
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Rubbish swim ( knee injury flared up, now need to rest it for a chunk of time).

Ah well, at least I went. And the knee will get better with a break...
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    2.5 km 57 min
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Rubbish swim ( knee injury flared up, now need to rest it for a chunk of time).

Ah well, at least I went. And the knee will get better with a break...

What stroke you swimming? Breastroke?
    I find it to be abit harder on the knees, so you could lay off the breastroke for awhile?
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    Yes, 2 miles @‌ 71 minutes
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1400 40:48.

I've been advised to throw in some strength training. Holy moley am I sore.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    For those lamenting "worst" swims & "rubbish" swims - please keep in mind that those days are still better than no swims. Give yourselves the credit you deserve for sticking out that workout. Some days are just like that, but I've noticed that they usually precede some sort of breakthrough......
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mac. Will be Staying positive - and getting vicarious pleasure from everyone else's swims instead. ..

I am going to take a break for 10 days or so until after school half term as my knee knackered (I was doing crawl when it went, it is ok on breast oddly AQ and that is what I did the rest of the swim ) with some sort of tendonitis, and I've worked out my shoulder stiffness is probably 'swimmer's shoulder' .... And before that my back was complaining....

So the Alexander Technique based swim lessons I have just booked for when school goes back could not be more timely!

I guess my body just wasn't quite ready for that next push up in length / speed I was attempting - but hoping the lessons will get me over that hurdle.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Gently - a trainer at my gym was talking to me about swimmers' shoulders & pointed out that, since swimming is such an unnatural overhead motion & the shoulders are the least stable major joints, swimmers are prone to pain. He turned me on to the exercises here:

http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?Tabid=1645&mid=702&ItemId=700

I was able to get a box of each Theraband on eBay. I also stumbled across the following YouTube videos that are demonstrations of these exact exercises:

Part 1:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgo3g-Ge85Y&index=2&list=PLdpxuLg4IRjMMg_f4WYro2ppegcK95kQA

Part 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r5d5Ux1jGs&index=3&list=PLdpxuLg4IRjMMg_f4WYro2ppegcK95kQA

These exercises help strengthen the muscles in & around the shoulders, thereby helping to stabilize the joints. They were definitely a big help & as I get ready to get back to the pool much more often I need to start back up on them. There are also other exercises you can find on YouTube......
  • Bruceapple
    Options
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Yup, all freestyle: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250.......
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    One mile in 64 minutes, breast stroke only.
  • newoutlook2014
    newoutlook2014 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    phew... been having leg trouble but hope to get back into it on Monday... good to read everyone's progress... haven't forgotten my Easter goal and still aiming for it