Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Another fun swim with my 8yo buddy. He's getting much better, and I am exhausted from being used as a launch pad/personal floatation devise
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    52 minutes breastback ...didn't count laps but definitely a slower/easier day.

Good swim Stephen. I would suggest at this early stage of your new found Swim Workouts don't really worry to much about counting how many laps you put in. Work on your technique and everything else will slowly come around. At some point in time you will want to establish some Bench Marks to measure your progress, whether it is time/distance for different strokes or just distance. Right now I an using my times for my Front Crawl - 50 m sprint and 100 m sprint; measured after a 10 lap warm-up and then at the end of the swim, trying to keep the time differential as small as possible - which indicates good cardio recovery and that my technique is not falling apart as I put in laps. My 100m sprint at end of swim is around 2:20, start of swim is usually 2:15. My normal 100m pace is around 2:40.
    I usually lose track went counting laps so I switched to something that was short and sweet.
    Robertus wrote: »
    That was exhausting. Remind me not to do strength training and swimming on the same day!

Great work Robertus, note to self not to strength train/run or bike on swim days.
    40 min sprints.
    25 meter time now roundabout 20 seconds (in the early parts of the sprints before fatigue sets in) down from around 22 sec earlier, so I'm satisfied with the progress!
    Target time is probably about 15 sec for 25m and 30 sec for 50m so that I can cross the magical 1 min for 100 m mark. If that is even achievable, it's probably at least a year away!

Amazing speed makes me feel like a snail dragging a rock.

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Morning wake up call. 6000 total. Chlorine fix taken.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Morning wake up: 2 miles @ 66 minutes.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    30 minutes of laps today, got interrupted by a water aerobics class. So I did another hour of that ....I'm definitely out of the demographic whenever that happens.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    2.508 km 52:50 PB woohoo! Not only sub 54, but sub 53!!!
    Yet before the swim, I felt as tired as I ever have, before a swim!

The almost 1.5 min improvement in my time is probably partly down to the fact that I swam it in a 33m pool today, meaning fewer turns (76 lengths instead of 100), meaning less time lost at mini rests at the turns.
    More turns may make you go faster when you're doing flip turns and maximizing the wall push offs with streamlining, but when you're not doing flip turns and taking mini rests at each turn, they definitely slow down your overall time.

Theoretically it should mean that if I'm able to attain physical conditioning that enables me to significantly reduce all the rests (or in the most optimistic scenario eliminate them altogether), and resume the tumble turns, I could possibly hit 50 min or sub 50.

Whether it'll happen before end of June, as I hope? Will and see!
    Still concentrating on the 4 pillars!
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Options
    No swim today. I forced myself to take a rest day. Trying not to be all pouty about it.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Some great progress and sticking with it attitude here folks - well done in particular AQ on your new time, and for your post a while back with detailed comments on other people's progress - it is so kind and encouraging to all when people take the trouble to do this.

I like the idea of 'spot check' time checks rather than Lap counting Juliet - might try that one out, as I am getting worse at lap counting (more sets of all crawl etc) - or get a finger counter. Are they all the same? I just want something simple.

Btw - I have been counting my strokes per length. (I'm around 20 for crawl) What is typical for breaststroke ? (18 for me on post coaching new technique)

I missed my planned swim yesterday (work meeting over ran) so rejigged today, and I'm looking forward to it. Easter hols - it might be a small body dodgem session ....
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Morning wake up: 2 miles @ 65 minutes.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    45 mins - in a shared lane, keeping up fine. No way I would have done that a while back..(the shared lane bit, as opposed to wide swimming lane). Not sure on distance. 1.25k ish.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Morning Chlorine Marinade. 6000 total.
    1000, 2000 free
    500 kick board
    500 paddle/pull buoy.
    2000 free.
  • AquaticQuests
    edited March 2015
    Options
    45 min
    The pool was too full and chaotic to do much constructive work.
    I tried, but after running into people, a few times, swimming at full speed, I just decided to do whatever!
    Mix of general swim and some sprints!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    45 min
    I tried, but after running into people, a few times, swimming at full speed, I just decided to do whatever!

Was the pool kind of like this?
    https://youtu.be/ZptA9N82_NI
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Options
    AQ - I hate when the pool is full! Hopefully you'll have a nice quiet swim next time.

Masters this morning - what a day to forget my water bottle! We did a kicking set that nearly did me in (I'm gonna add that to my routine, I think!). Coach said my stroke was looking great, so I just need to keep up my practice on technique until it feels natural.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys. There is some serious progress being made here. I chickened out on my morning swim. Yes, it's out there now. We're away from home, and the place where we're staying is right next to a gorgeous athletic club. I should just do it, but I've only swum laps at my little community center, and I just sort of wimped out. Well that, and we visited with my husband's sister whom we haven't seen in a while, and this morning my head wasn't feeling quite right. Ugh... it's really out there now. Another lap swim this evening. Maybe I'll muster up the guts to just give it a go. I doubt I'll regret it.

AQ, congratulations on an awesome PB! That must have kept you on a high for a bit! :smile:
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Curly - don't be concerned about swimming in a new place. Within a minute you'll be so engrossed in what you're doing that nothing else will matter, & everybody else there is into what they're doing....

Some really great work going on here folks!!!!! I'm really pleased to see rest days being taken when needed & people looking to add in the harder stuff instead of avoiding it - inspirational!!!!!

AQ - Congrats on the drop in time, but I have to be really honest here - I am in no way surprised.....
  • AquaticQuests
    edited March 2015
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    45 min

Hahaha!

Not quite as chaotic as that but not too far from that either!
    Two sets of groups having some width wise lessons on both ends of the pool (deep and shallow).
    Another guy swimming width wise somewhere near the centre of the pool!
    Another group having lengthwise training, but due to their inability to swim straight, they were swimming diagonally across the pool!
    It would've taken some complicated mathematical calculations to avoid hitting anyone - well beyond my mathematical capabilities! Even more so when some of the width wise guys appear to wait till your coming close, then figure it would be a good idea to make a rush to see if they can cross to the other side before you arrive (which of course they don't, resulting in a crash)! :tired_face:

Lol Gutzy did you take that on one of your china trips?
    Lolest!

Thanks everyone!
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    52 minutes ...different pool, lanes were too narrow kept bumping the guides when doing breast stroke
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    1 mile, 30 minutes. Muscles still sore from strength training and really tired. I'm gonna take a week off to let my body rest and rebuild.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    45 min

Hahaha!

Not quite as chaotic as that but not too far from that either!
    Two sets of groups having some width wise lessons on both ends of the pool (deep and shallow).
    Another guy swimming width wise somewhere near the centre of the pool!
    Another group having lengthwise training, but due to their inability to swim straight, they were swimming diagonally across the pool!
    It would've taken some complicated mathematical calculations to avoid hitting anyone - well beyond my mathematical capabilities! Even more so when some of the width wise guys appear to wait till your coming close, then figure it would be a good idea to make a rush to see if they can cross to the other side before you arrive (which of course they don't, resulting in a crash)! :tired_face:

Lol Gutzy did you take that on one of your china trips?
    Lolest!

Thanks everyone!
    Yes. My first trip was to Shanghai. This pool was a 1/2 mile walk from the office. 1 to 3 weekdays was the best time. But I think this was on a Saturday.