Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Nope. But I did another 3 miles continuous late Thursday night (97 minutes). Yesterday was a recovery day and this afternoon it's time for strength training. Ugh. I don't like strength training.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Today: 2 miles 68 minutes
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    A minimal amount after aqua fitness class :blush:
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Minimal > 0
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    You're right, Mac. It was 5 laps freestyle with 5 laps on the board working on bilateral breathing in between. Nothing to sneeze at for a beginner. Today was minimal. I took my daughter and filmed her (much to her chagrin) but didn't swim due to a nasty cold.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Minimal =0. Spent 3 days out of town on Assignment - no pool - no gym - no exercise = grumpy . Missed my Fix.
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    Today: 2 miles 65 minutes
  • Macstraw
    Options
    The weekend off did a world of good, felt much stronger in the water today: 250 free, 500 free, 1000 free, 5 x 200 IM, 200 free, 3 x 200 IM, 2 x 100 IM, 1000 free, 500 free, 250 free in 97 minutes.....
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Very 'interesting' swim today. The heater had shut off over night at the Y pool. Found out just how cold it was when I was done. 73 degrees. Triathletes are allowed to wear wet suits in water that chilly.
    Still did my 6000 though.
    Felt fine after a couple laps. But dang it was a shriveler getting in. :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    juliet, that has to be tough. I'd be really cranky if I had nothing. Treat yourself to a long swim when you return!

Bruce, good swim! I would love to put in that time and/or distance!

Good call, Mac. It can be hard to make the decision to rest, but I'm glad you got to feel the benefit (and get a good swim once you got back!).

Gutzy, that sounds really cold... Were there many other folks in the pool with you? Nice job getting your swim in, in spite of no heat!!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options

Gutzy, that sounds really cold... Were there many other folks in the pool with you? Nice job getting your swim in, in spite of no heat!!

Nobody older than me :)
    One 70 something did one length at jumped out.
    One other regular didn't go past dipping his toe in.
    But several of the regular swimmers that are faster than me still did their laps.

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    My swim plans thwarted by a sudden downpour as I arrived at the pool. Its an open air pool, and since the rainy season looks to have arrived, I'll probably be in the gym a lot more in the coming months!
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    AQ, do they close the pool when it rains? It seems like people would go ahead and swim since you're going to get wet anyway? But maybe there is lightning? I love doing pretty much anything athletic in the rain, but I've never swum in the rain.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Only had a little over 35 mins in the pool at noon so a shortened swim - 750 m front, breast and back all mixed in randomly.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    45 min, 1.5 km total. Really focusing on how my hands enters the water. I have masters tomorrow so I'm hoping to get some more feedback on that. Ooo, and my hands paddles arrived today, so I'll be trying them out tomorrow. :smiley:
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    AQ, do they close the pool when it rains? It seems like people would go ahead and swim since you're going to get wet anyway? But maybe there is lightning? I love doing pretty much anything athletic in the rain, but I've never swum in the rain.

They usually don't close it immediately, but it's only really the die hard swimmers that will swim in the rain (me included). I think the lifeguard is supposed to close it, but finds it hard to tell we regulars to get out, but after awhile, he will especially if he also hears thunder from anywhere.

They discourage swimming in rain, as one runs the risk of lightning strike and electrocution. So I generally will only continue to swim if the rain finds me already in the pool swimming (and I'll rush to finish) or if it is light and I don't feel there is lightning in the vicinity (not very scientific).

Regarding yesterday though, it started raining just before I got in, and I was actually standing not too far away from the pool debating whether to jump in (there were 5 or 6 people swimming away), then something happened to a nearby electricity transformer (perhaps a twig fell on it or something) and there was a loud burst, and bright 'electric' explosion! Someone in the pool's vicinity actually let out a loud yelp!

It's safe to say my decision was made right there and then! :smiley:
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    Today: 1 mile @ 32 minutes + 1 mile w/ Burner Fins @ 38 minutes.
    You would think I would be faster with the fins but they are new to me?
  • Macstraw
    Options
    In addition to thunder and/or lightning they will close a pool in the rain if it makes it difficult for the lifeguard to see the bottom of the pool....

Bruce - I would bet it's because they're new to you & I would also bet that you were more deliberate with your stroke....

All freestyle today - 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250 in 114 minutes....
  • Macstraw
    Options
    In addition to thunder and/or lightning they will close a pool in the rain if it makes it difficult for the lifeguard to see the bottom of the pool....

Bruce - I would bet it's because they're new to you & I would also bet that you were more deliberate with your stroke....

All freestyle today - 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250 in 114 minutes....
  • Macstraw
    Options

All freestyle today - 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250 in 114 minutes.....