Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone - have been off the boards for a couple of days as had friends over for the weekend, but on the plus side they were late risers so I was still able to fit in swims on Saturday and Sunday morning. Did swim again this morning but was very sluggish - too much of a good weekend methinks!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Poldhu Cove, Cornwall, UK. 45 minutes, breaststroke and front crawl. 17degC - tropical for UK!
  • swimdeb1
    swimdeb1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a masters swim program. I did the 2 mile postal swim last year in about the same time.
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did swim today and I'm hoping to make some MFP swim friends. I'm still very much a beginner swimmer. Today for the first time I was able to do 75 yards nonstop a few times; previously 50 was my limit. Trying to build up those lungs and that endurance!

I also swim with long-blade fins, which my Intermediate Swim instructor recommended to correct my spazzy kick from the knee and feet. It's so frustrating correcting it. Now with the fins I kick from the hip, but if I take them off I revert to that spazzy kick -- it's all energy burn and little else. :( So I just did some reading online, and it looks like the next step might be to graduate to short-blade fins, which are supposed to help me learn the right cadence for freestyle kicking.

I only recently got the hang of the backstroke, and I'm slow with it. And only graduated to the deep end about 6 weeks ago. But I love swimming and I'm going to keep plugging away at it! Excited to find this group and meet any new buddies.
  • conniekat8
    conniekat8 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Back in the water tomorrow! (if I post I'm going it means I have to go)
    8:45 AM workouts are not working out that good for me.
    Someone kick me into the water!
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    I'll kick you ConnieKat - get back in that water!

In the pool again this morning. Had a nice 15 minutes in a lane to myself so focused on butterfly - I still can't manage more than 1 length (20m) at a time, but also noticed this morning that as I was getting more tired the kicks were getting out of sync. Will focus on that (if there's pool space) tomorrow. Rest of swim was my normal mix.
  • ProfessorOwl
    ProfessorOwl Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I did for the first time in about 2 weeks. I felt really out of shape so I kind of took it easy and focused more on technique than I normally do, especially stroke count. Averaging about 28 strokes per 50 yards of freestyle and 16 for butterfly.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Swam laps today for the first time in 16 years!
    I swam for my school team all through middle and high school. Wasn't fast enough to compete in college, so I just kinda let it go. But I got bit by the bug this summer while goofing off in the pool-I really missed it!
    So I found a local community pool with lap hours and went. At first my body was like "hello? WTF are you doing?". But by the end it felt great. I am REALLY out of shape for this type of activity though. Swim a length, ( it was a 50m pool) stop, catch breath, do it again. No flip turns. No fly. But alas, I shall get there. Flip turns used to be my favorite part!
    Overall, sooo glad to get back in the pool. I intend to make this a once a week thing until summer ends, then I'll need to find an indoor pool.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Here is my workout this morning

300 swim
    200 kick
    6x75 ( 50 free, 25 breast)working on distance per stroke with free and breast. Long glides but not tooooo long!
    8x50. Odds are free, breathing 3/4 and 4/5, evens are breast stroke with a dolphin kick.
    6x50 25 breast, 25 free....alternate between fast breast and fast free
    200 nice and easy

2050 meters
  • ProfessorOwl
    Options
    Swam consecutive days for the first time in a long while. Did 3,500 yards. I plan to keep it going.
  • conniekat8
    conniekat8 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Whew, finally got my bum in the pool today. Had some serious motivation problems last couple of weeks.
    about 50 minutes, probably around 1400 Y, I lost count half ways through. I did about three sets of 5x50 build with drills and stretching between them.
    I pooped out quicker then I planed, probably because I was trying to watch the form on the 50's and that takes more effort.
    Couple days of rest before I go again.
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    Back in the pool this morning (skipped yesterday). Decided to focus on everything but crawl so it was 20 mins of fly drills, then mixed breaststroke and backstroke drills finishing with a leisurely 200m of crawl.
  • debbiesats
    debbiesats Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Whew, finally got my bum in the pool today. Had some serious motivation problems last couple of weeks.
    about 50 minutes, probably around 1400 Y, I lost count half ways through. I did about three sets of 5x50 build with drills and stretching between them.
    I pooped out quicker then I planed, probably because I was trying to watch the form on the 50's and that takes more effort.
    Couple days of rest before I go again.

Well done conniekat - we knew you'd get back in there! And you know it's going to get better the mmore you go :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • jjeanmneis
    jjeanmneis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Swam almost 1 hour lastnight before the Y closed - all the lifeguards kept standing/playing around like "go home already" LOL
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am back 2 miles @ 76 min.
  • ProfessorOwl
    Options
    Third day in a row! Did a distance freestyle set. 5,200 yards. I needed that!
  • debbiesats
    debbiesats Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    swam at the dive centre beeautiful :smile:
    3 x 500m laps then lots of splashing around while the kids jumped off the deck
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    did AquaFit shallow, then AquaFit deep back to back. Walk to & from pool
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    After 3 days unable to get to the pool it was nice to be back. Just did 2km crawl and a couple of cool down laps to finish. Feeling good.
  • jjeanmneis
    jjeanmneis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just bought: 'Finis Swimmer's Snorkel' by FINIS www.amazon.com
    Go Pink! Join us in the fight against breast cancer with the FINIS Swimmer's Snorkel - Pink.

And a pretty pink long haired swim cap

I'm going to look like a pink SNORK Lol. :bigsmile: