Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• swimdeb1
    swimdeb1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Isn't 63 minutes faster than 75 minutes?
  • swimdeb1
    Options
    Great morning swim. My group disbanded for summer so we are now back with our coach. Drills, stroke development, breathing exercises, and cross training. Very fun!
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the shoulder exercise links - I will be getting some bands and getting on with all of these.

I have been swimming most days, but not posting. Today, however, was one of those great swims - don't know why but I was speeding along and having a blast. Perfect start to the day.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    YES 2 miles @ 76 min.
  • AlicesGrandma
    AlicesGrandma Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    YES! I did deep-water aerobics (mostly intervals) for an hour. Love it!!! :love: :yawn:
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I did 1000 yard distance swim followed by 1500 yards of builds and sprints (with a 300 cool down). I improved my 1000 time by a little over 2 minutes.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Impressive work MS-J1
  • AlicesGrandma
    Options
    Yes, we had a different instructor for deep-water aerobics this morning. She had us do ten HIITs (high-intensity intervals) and by the time we got to the tenth, I was feeling it. She's an occupational therapist by trade, and I really like her style. I'm going to find out more about HIIT. Have a great day in the water!
    :heart:
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    YES 2 miles @ 75 min.
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Yes I swam but after intense gym session yesterday, I was sore before, throughout and after the swim, although the swimming helps!
  • AlicesGrandma
    Options
    Not yet but I will at 1pm. This morning I lifted grocery bags full of food helping the local food bank to distribute to folks in my senior building. Swimming has certainly improved my cardio fitness. :blushing: :heart: :blushing:
  • fit4lifemom
    fit4lifemom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2300 m. Love the morning swim
  • swimdeb1
    Options
    Swam a 2000 today with my swim group. Intervals, drills, and even a little water polo:wink:
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I swam for an hour doing freestyle, breaststroke and flutter kick drills
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    seattlesue the swimming not only helps your cardio fitness but muscle strength too including shoulder strength!!
    Good stuff!
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    I swam yesterday after a few days away. Pool was COLD!
    I found someone else in the pool who swims a similar distance and speed as i do so I pushed that little bit extra, and I'm guessing I motivated him too!
    I envy those of you who have a swimming group. I tried to set one up with a few people i bump into at my pool and they expressed interest but it never really took off!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    1st gym swim today in about 2 months, for the summer I'm in Pennsylvania & my yardage drops way off (I walk more to make up for part of it), but now I'm back & forth to M+NY for my daughter to go to her varsity swim practices - some of her practices run long enough that I can run down to the gym & get almost my full workout in. I'll get there tomorrow too, then after Labor Day I'll be able to get back down there almost every weekday since I'll be back in NY full time.....

Today's workout - All freestyle with all flip turns: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1000, 500, 250
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    1st gym swim today in about 2 months, for the summer I'm in Pennsylvania & my yardage drops way off (I walk more to make up for part of it), but now I'm back & forth to M+NY for my daughter to go to her varsity swim practices - some of her practices run long enough that I can run down to the gym & get almost my full workout in. I'll get there tomorrow too, then after Labor Day I'll be able to get back down there almost every weekday since I'll be back in NY full time.....

Today's workout - All freestyle with all flip turns: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1000, 500, 250

Great stuff Macstraw. That is 5,000!!!!
    What resting time do you target between those sets and for your overall set?
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    AQ - I let my body be my guide, so I don't target particular rest times. Some days my rest time between sets is longer than others. I was pleased with this workout because I didn't need much recovery time at all. When I'm back in every day my long day will be 6500 (same workout as I posted with a 2nd 1500 in the middle), I'm in the water for about 130 minutes with an actual swim time of 114 minutes. I alternate days with that all freestyle workout & my shorter day (the same workout but I take out the 2 1500's & do 5x200 IM, a 500 free & 5x100 IM) is 5500 yards. I'm in the water for around the same amount of time even though the actual swim time is less because there are more sets I'm breaking between. Today I'm going to do the same as yesterday but knock out the 1500 & do 5 x 200 IM's, I have to keep it a little shorter because I have to have enough time to get back to pick my daughter up from her swim practice. It's probably just as well that I keep it a little shorter because I haven't done these distances in 2 months, & although I feel like I could crank out the full workout, it's probably best to ease back into it.....
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    AQ - I let my body be my guide, so I don't target particular rest times. Some days my rest time between sets is longer than others. I was pleased with this workout because I didn't need much recovery time at all. When I'm back in every day my long day will be 6500 (same workout as I posted with a 2nd 1500 in the middle), I'm in the water for about 130 minutes with an actual swim time of 114 minutes. I alternate days with that all freestyle workout & my shorter day (the same workout but I take out the 2 1500's & do 5x200 IM, a 500 free & 5x100 IM) is 5500 yards. I'm in the water for around the same amount of time even though the actual swim time is less because there are more sets I'm breaking between. Today I'm going to do the same as yesterday but knock out the 1500 & do 5 x 200 IM's, I have to keep it a little shorter because I have to have enough time to get back to pick my daughter up from her swim practice. It's probably just as well that I keep it a little shorter because I haven't done these distances in 2 months, & although I feel like I could crank out the full workout, it's probably best to ease back into it.....

Macstraw, Now that's the kind of craziness that pushes me out of my comfort zone and gets me to work even harder!

But I will need to get a Finis Neptune music player before I do 5 and 6 km on the regular LOL! The times I have swum 5km it seemed endlessly monotonous! Mind you I did it in a swimathon alongside an Olympian (and briefly world record holder) who finished the 5km with ease in about half the time I took (he took just over an hour)!