Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options

1750m later... My longest recorded swim (by 50m!). I was proudly congratulating myself on having done a mile. But I checked and realise a mile is actually c1600m (real mile that is) - so I sailed past that goal. And also proved to myself I can do a decent swim early evening.

Great job with the personal best! It seemed impossible then it was done!
    62 minutes ...starting to acclimate to additional crawls in the rotation ...

Yep - freestyle is the business!
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    B.B King RIP. September 16, 1925 - May 14, 2015.
    I managed to see him Live 3 times, Toronto Ontario, Edmonton Alberta and Auckland New Zealand.
    Edmonton and Auckland were in smaller facilities where everyone was up close to the stage with a great view and interaction with The King. Great Performer who loved plucking the strings.

:'(:s<3

I'm a guitarist too, though never saw him live. RIP!
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Shortened I.M. workout today, I dropped a 1000 free set so I could go meet my wife in time: 250 free, 500 free, 1000 free, 5 x 200 I.M., 500 free, 5 x 200 I.M., 250 free......

Good a reason as any to drop 1,000 yards :smiley:
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Hit the Pool at Noon. 250m free, 250m breast, 250m back, 100m free, 100m breast, 100m back. 100m free sprint. Hot Tub!

Hot tub after a swim! The best!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I finally got some time for laps last night. I've been barely able to get to my aqua fitness class lately. Staying for laps messes with the family schedule right now.

I felt pretty good-working on bilateral breathing with a pull bouy. Without having to keep my kick going, I can actually swim continuously, which is totally new for me. I finally swam until I was just sore and tired. It felt incredibly good. Headed back this morning for another class and will get some laps in beforehand while my daughter has a lesson. Mmmm, mmm, good :)
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    4 miles. 2 of those were masters swim practice. I hate kickboards!
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I finally got some time for laps last night. I've been barely able to get to my aqua fitness class lately. Staying for laps messes with the family schedule right now.

I felt pretty good-working on bilateral breathing with a pull bouy. Without having to keep my kick going, I can actually swim continuously, which is totally new for me. I finally swam until I was just sore and tired. It felt incredibly good. Headed back this morning for another class and will get some laps in beforehand while my daughter has a lesson. Mmmm, mmm, good :)
    Great job. It was my experience with a pull buoy that taught me to use a minimal kick when swimming long distances (freestyle). When racing shorter distances I kick much more, but for long distances it doesn't seem to matter much for time and it is a lot easier.

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Robertus, that is exactly what happened. Even when I ditch the bouy, my kick is slower and my whole body feels more controlled. I got 30 min in before class. I was up at 5:20, which is not usual for me, but I think for the first time in a long time, I slept the night through. I need more of this!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's session

2650SCM
    Including 800m of kick!!

200 warmup

2x
    200 free
    100 kick
    150 free
    100 kick
    2x50 free 5 seconds rest between
    100 kick

100 kick
    2x50 free
    100 kick
    150 back

6x50 as 2x fly/back back/br br/free

200 warmdown
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Robertus, that is exactly what happened. Even when I ditch the bouy, my kick is slower and my whole body feels more controlled. I got 30 min in before class. I was up at 5:20, which is not usual for me, but I think for the first time in a long time, I slept the night through. I need more of this!

I would bet that's the impetus behind the 2 beat kick, trying to create more power with each downbeat as opposed to kicking as fast as possible. I was never "taught" a 2 beat kick, but after seeing it discussed I paid more attention to my kick since I've always been a distance swimmer (200 & 500 yard freestyle were my main events in high school, along with sometimes doing the 100 fly) & it turns out that that's what my kick became naturally. I could never sustain a fast-paced kick over the longer distances, so it evolved into more of a power kick.....
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My problem lately is I have not been kicking much even with sprints. For some reason my brain "forgets" to tell my legs/feet to kick. It is really very odd as I have always been more of a sprinter, even in track. Perhaps it is because I haven't swam for years? Odd...
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    61minutes today, felt strong. I'm dog/house sitting this weekend so the last two days i did drylander workouts, felt so good to get back in the pool. My calves really protested the dryland work during the swim.
  • AquaticQuests
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »

Great job. It was my experience with a pull buoy that taught me to use a minimal kick when swimming long distances (freestyle). When racing shorter distances I kick much more, but for long distances it doesn't seem to matter much for time and it is a lot easier.

Yep. With swimming, the kick contributes something like 5- 10% of forward propulsion while body position etc and primarily pull contributes the other 90%.
    For sprints that 10% is crucial and is often the difference between 1st and last place. But for the longer swims, with a conservative kick, you save lots of energy while not sacrificing much time at all.

But it's because of this, and the fact that I have primarily trained long swims, that I'm trying to do abit more leg work in the gym, to strengthen them as distance swimming doesn't test them, as much as say running, as well as sprint training in the pool, so that my legs are not left behind.

I need to get flippers and begin doing kick sets as well!
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    After a busy weekend with a few parties and too much party food, I slept poorly last night and woke up kind of late. Because of all the party food, I still dragged myself to the pool and swam 1500yds (3 500's with 30 sec rest) in about 40 minutes. Glad I did. Brains are less fuzzy than they would be otherwise.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    I.M. workout today, got the full thing in: 250 free, 500 free, 1000 free, 5 x 200 I.M., 500 free, 5 x 200 I.M., 1000 free, 250 free in 98 minutes.........
  • EmmaSlan
    EmmaSlan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have my mile swim event coming up on Friday so I've been taking it a bit easier. In the pool today though. 2km in 60 mins. All freestyle, 4 x 500 meters. Took about a minute break in between each set.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    6000 wake up swim :)
    Pushed hard the first 2000 free. 500 kick/burner. 500 free, 500 pull buoy/pads, 2500 free.
    Hoping lightning doesn't keep me from getting in a bonus 100 laps in after work. Want to get 10km for the day.
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I, too, dragged myself in this am. I didn't feel quite right and told myself that I would just do plain 'ole laps instead of my usual. Anyway, I had a great workout that included easy laps, kick sets, and sprints. Swam an hour.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am back; 1 mile @ 50 minutes, starting out easy.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Great to see you back, Bruce!!!!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @emmab0902 Welcome to the Chlorine/Salt/Fresh/Open Water Gang.
    panhandle8 wrote: »
    I, too, dragged myself in this am. I didn't feel quite right and told myself that I would just do plain 'ole laps instead of my usual. Anyway, I had a great workout that included easy laps, kick sets, and sprints. Swam an hour.
    Victoria Day long weekend in Canada ( Queen Victoria's Birthday - Any excuse is a good excuse for a long weekend in the spring ) Did over 14 km of walking yesterday so dragging my @ss badly today. Noon hour swim- what normally would take 20 minutes (750m free sprint) took 40 mins due to motivational gravity. Took the full hour to get a 1000m done.
    750m free, 200 breast, a very difficult drunken sailor 50 back ( wandered all over the lane ).
    Just had nothing in the tank today.

• stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    62 minutes, 3:1 crawl ratio ...found i could count since every 4th length was different. so 52 min mile, 1925m total.
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Couldn't swim yesterday due to rain.
    Today was gym day, and I'm definitely stronger on that treadmill now. Guess that week away from swimming may have had something to do with it!