Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    Yes, I am back; 1 mile @ 50 minutes, starting out easy.
    Welcome back Bruce!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Managed to get an extra 60 laps in last night before lightning.
    This morning too a little more mental energy to get motivated :)
    Woke up with some allergy related congestion but pushed through it.
    120 laps, 6000 yards.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mac and AQ
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Masters. I got through 2100 yds although the workout was longer. The sets were 500 warm up, choice of stroke, 4 100's with fins - some kick and some swim. Then 8 100's at varying speeds. What was really interesting to me is the next set was 4 100's with a pull buoy and breathing every 5 strokes. We weren't supposed to time them but I did just to see and my pull times were almost identical to my swim times for the 100 at a moderate pace. This made me think of the conversation somebody was having the other day about kicking. So is my kick inefficient? Does the buoy and greater time between breaths allow me to stretch my stroke out further? I think it may be a bit of both and deserves some more thought on my part.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Back in the pool after a lovely weekend on the UK's Norfolk coast - we were right on the sea but I didn't swim. This morning was a short 30 min - 400m crawl warm up. 2 x 100m sprints breast, back, crawl then another 300m crawl cool down. Felt good as always to be in the water.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    mpeters - it's not that the kick is inefficient, but (as AQ pointed out) it really only makes a significant difference in time when sprinting over shorter distances & you can really get it going fast. I find my pull set times are about as fast as my full stroke at workout pace, it feels to me that the buoy floating up my lower end helps with the speed....

Some more great swims posted, nice work!!!!

Freestyle workout today: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250 yards in 114 minutes.....

Last swim workout until next week, those spots that were biopsied a couple of weeks ago came back positive & they had to remove the rest of what was there, so it'll be a few days healing & then I'll be away from the gym for the holiday weekend....
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    61 minutes
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Noon hour swim. 250m free, 250 breast, 250 free, 100 breast, 100 back and 100m free sprint.
    For some crazy reason I always like throwing in a sprint finish.
    Masters. I got through 2100 yds although the workout was longer. The sets were 500 warm up, choice of stroke, 4 100's with fins - some kick and some swim. Then 8 100's at varying speeds. What was really interesting to me is the next set was 4 100's with a pull buoy and breathing every 5 strokes. We weren't supposed to time them but I did just to see and my pull times were almost identical to my swim times for the 100 at a moderate pace. This made me think of the conversation somebody was having the other day about kicking. So is my kick inefficient? Does the buoy and greater time between breaths allow me to stretch my stroke out further? I think it may be a bit of both and deserves some more thought on my part.
    I found that I had very little time difference between a 100m free and a 100m pull buoy - like you at a moderate pace. Only on my Sprints did I notice a measureable difference.
    Huge difference on Breast Stroke where my pull buoy time was embarrassingly sloooww.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    ... What was really interesting to me is the next set was 4 100's with a pull buoy and breathing every 5 strokes. We weren't supposed to time them but I did just to see and my pull times were almost identical to my swim times for the 100 at a moderate pace. This made me think of the conversation somebody was having the other day about kicking. So is my kick inefficient? Does the buoy and greater time between breaths allow me to stretch my stroke out further? I think it may be a bit of both and deserves some more thought on my part.
    Not just your kick, but everyone's freestyle kick is inefficient. It is not unusual for people to be pretty much the same speed with a pull buoy. Freestyle kicking only helps a little bit when you're sprinting and you can go all out for a short period of time. For longer distances, your energy is better conserved for your arms, which are doing almost all of the work. I think of my long-distance freestyle kick as basically trying to compensate for the drag that the weight of my torso and legs create.
  • Robertus
    Options
    2 miles, pizza and beer with two other local swimmers.
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I went tonight and every time I do a night swim I tell myself 'not again'. Torrential rains kept me from hauling my 4 yr old and me out earlier. Ah well, better than never entering the pool.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    45 mins this morning. Swam this morning – 400m warm up, 100m front kicks, 100m back kicks, 400m crawl, 2 x 100m breast, back, crawl sprints, 400m crawl, followed by a 200m mix cool down.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    200SCM
    45 minutes
    Masters session

150 free
    150 back

4x200 free last 75 of each increase speed 15s rest between

10x25 fly kick alt on back and on front

4x
    25 br
    50 back
    75 free
    100 free
    10s rest after each segment and 15s rest between each set

150 warmdown
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Nice work everybody! Thanks for all the comments on the kicking. It's interesting stuff!
  • AquaticQuests
    edited May 2015
    Options
    2.5 km 56 min
    Had a guy swimming beside me in a wetsuit, and our temperatures are equatorial!
    I wonder how he would manage swimming in some of the temperatures some of you like YogiCarl and occasionally NoelFigart swim in?
    :smile:
    But he did ask me if I swim competitively, so that was a nice boost, as it was one of my iffy swims!
  • AquaticQuests
    edited May 2015
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Managed to get an extra 60 laps in last night before lightning.
    This morning too a little more mental energy to get motivated :)
    Woke up with some allergy related congestion but pushed through it.
    120 laps, 6000 yards.

Swimming works as a good decongestant for me!
    .....This made me think of the conversation somebody was having the other day about kicking. So is my kick inefficient? Does the buoy and greater time between breaths allow me to stretch my stroke out further? I think it may be a bit of both and deserves some more thought on my part.

Ditto what everyone else said in response!

panhandle8 wrote: »
    I went tonight and every time I do a night swim I tell myself 'not again'. Torrential rains kept me from hauling my 4 yr old and me out earlier. Ah well, better than never entering the pool.

Well at least you got the swim in! Many of my swims are in the dark under floodlights - either before sunrise or after sunset!
    60sPanda wrote: »
    45 mins this morning. Swam this morning – 400m warm up, 100m front kicks, 100m back kicks, 400m crawl, 2 x 100m breast, back, crawl sprints, 400m crawl, followed by a 200m mix cool down.
    You are certainly making up for the time out. Back to back swims!!!
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    200SCM
    45 minutes
    Masters session

You meant 2000 right?
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Last swim workout until next week, those spots that were biopsied a couple of weeks ago came back positive & they had to remove the rest of what was there, so it'll be a few days healing & then I'll be away from the gym for the holiday weekend....
    Mac, will be praying for you - that they get that sorted out completely and get you back to your fighting best!

• Robertus
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    ... Last swim workout until next week, those spots that were biopsied a couple of weeks ago came back positive & they had to remove the rest of what was there, so it'll be a few days healing & then I'll be away from the gym for the holiday weekend....
    Missed this before. We're wishing you all the best, Macstraw!

• stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    61 minutes
  • EmmaSlan
    EmmaSlan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Short swim today. 30 mins freestyle, roughly 1km.
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Good swim this morning. Swam a nice long warm up, kicks with fins, and sprint intervals. My cool down could have been longer, but I needed to get going. Swam 60 minutes.