Options

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    We were stocking up on foods because we just got back in town from vacation, and I insisted that we go down the ice cream aisle even though we have several containers in the freezer already.

I saw these which I hadn't seen before:
    15999455963_530ed307ab_z.jpg

Of course picked them up. I had the caramel last night, and it was so good! And cheaper than Talenti since it's a larger container. I'd say it's a pretty good substitute.

I was wondering about those.

The salted caramel had a good base flavor, nice and creamy, and similar mixins to Talenti with caramel filled chocolate pieces. And lots of them. It's a bit of a calorie hit (220 calories for 87g) but really tasty.

Mine wasn't creamy, it actually reminded me a little of ice milk consistency. Maybe it melted more than I thought before I got it home. I had two ice packs around it in an insulated bag for less than an hour. My aunt brought the Peach Mango for Mother's Day, and that had a little better texture. It tasted good, though.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Tried some "local" ice cream tonight. It's from Austin, so relatively local distribution and of course no calorie counts. Had goat cheese, thyme and honey.

Lickicecreamsblog.jpg

Not as much goat cheese flavor as Jeni's goat cheese and cherry, but it had a very balanced flavor. A little icy though.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Tried some "local" ice cream tonight. It's from Austin, so relatively local distribution and of course no calorie counts. Had goat cheese, thyme and honey.

Lickicecreamsblog.jpg

Not as much goat cheese flavor as Jeni's goat cheese and cherry, but it had a very balanced flavor. A little icy though.

That's funny it even looks like Jeni's packaging! I didn't know you were in/near Austin, I love Austin! I have to go to Round Rock for work a couple times a year.

• auddii
    Options
    Ha, I'm in Houston, which is why the local was in quotes. Not sure how far they distribute, but it made it to a grocery store in Houston. I can't remember where we were when we bought this. Whole Foods I think.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    So for those of you waiting on pins and needles (*cricket chirps*) about the banana almond caramel...skip it.

As I should have expected it was a cheap tasting banana flavor. From a decent company, it could be an awesome flavor combo, but this didn't live up to expectations.

That said, I picked up a couple new (to me) Talenti flavors - fudge brownie based on the recommendation here (haven't tried yet) and caramel apple pie. Had the apple pie one last night and thought it was awesome. If it had a few more of the 'pie crust/cinnamon' chunks in it, it would be amazing.
  • auddii
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    So for those of you waiting on pins and needles (*cricket chirps*) about the banana almond caramel...skip it.

As I should have expected it was a cheap tasting banana flavor. From a decent company, it could be an awesome flavor combo, but this didn't live up to expectations.

That said, I picked up a couple new (to me) Talenti flavors - fudge brownie based on the recommendation here (haven't tried yet) and caramel apple pie. Had the apple pie one last night and thought it was awesome. If it had a few more of the 'pie crust/cinnamon' chunks in it, it would be amazing.

I'm a huge fan of the apple pie, although I know others didn't like it. It helps that I love apple pie in general (thanks to my grandmother). It's pretty hard to go wrong with pie mixed into ice cream. I still need to try a milkshake at a local Jewish deli. They blend together an actual piece of cheese cake and some ice cream. I don't think I'll ever have enough calories for that...
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

I'm a huge fan of the apple pie, although I know others didn't like it. It helps that I love apple pie in general (thanks to my grandmother). It's pretty hard to go wrong with pie mixed into ice cream. I still need to try a milkshake at a local Jewish deli. They blend together an actual piece of cheese cake and some ice cream. I don't think I'll ever have enough calories for that...

That sounds like one of those "calories be damned I gotta have it" moments to me.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Target brand Archer Farms just released a handful of different flavored Gelato's and Ice Creams. They are not mindblowing, but pretty tasty considering that they have good macros/cals.

I had the Strawberry Blondie, and it was decent. very creamy strawberry base with chewie blondie bits. 7f,19c,2p per serving (4 per pint).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

That sounds like one of those "calories be damned I gotta have it" moments to me.

Oh gosh yes. I'd totally eat that.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Target brand Archer Farms just released a handful of different flavored Gelato's and Ice Creams. They are not mindblowing, but pretty tasty considering that they have good macros/cals.

I had the Strawberry Blondie, and it was decent. very creamy strawberry base with chewie blondie bits. 7f,19c,2p per serving (4 per pint).

I'll have to check those out! I've been eying Target's ice creams/gelato but I haven't taken the dive yet.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Yeah I just tried that banana almond caramel flavor...found the banana flavor to be too 'fake' as opposed to other banana ice creams I've had.

Also I don't think I mentioned we also tried the cookie dough brownie flavor, which was decent. I only got one serving out of it before my girls found it and devoured the rest of it. It didn't have as many 'chunks' of cookie dough and/or brownie as I would have liked, but that might have been more a product of the fact that I only got the 'top' serving off the pint, so I'm withholding judgment on that for now.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Ha, I'm in Houston, which is why the local was in quotes. Not sure how far they distribute, but it made it to a grocery store in Houston. I can't remember where we were when we bought this. Whole Foods I think.

They distribute to Dallas. I tried a flavor about a month ago. Forgot which one.

Mine was icy, too. Also, very sweet with no distinguishing flavor other than vanilla. And I know I didn't buy vanilla. Won't buy again.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Aw what was with the vet trips - we had to take Trixie for her check up this weekend. Must be that time of year. She doesn't hide at the vet at all (she loves the attention) but some of the big babies hide in the sink or behind the faucet - a 12 pound cat is invisible in the sink. I have two that go at the same time - normally mortal enemies but last time the old lady cat saw that her little bro was scared and snuggled up to him - sweetest thing ever.

Wait, I got distracted by vet pics - this is supposed to be about ice cream. So I finally tried the sour cream and cinnamon ice cream tonight (right now actually). I would like a little more cinnamon flavor myself but overall I like it. Kind of like a cheese Danish with some cinnamon to me. There is absolutely no question that it has sour cream though - it is not overwhelming but it is obvious, if that makes sense. My biggest thing is how to log it - it is small batch made, so they don't have nutrition info and nothing on their website either. I am going to just pick a higher calorie one (like a French vanilla) and wing it.

My next frozen adventure it to take a walk over to this little local place that has paletas and ice cream - I have seen good reviews about the place and it is literally walking distance from my house. The reviews say they make all the stuff there themselves, so I have high hopes.

Sadly, they STILL haven't gotten any Steve's ice cream that doesn't look thawed, leaked and refrozen at the store - I have really been craving the Mexican Chili Chocolate. I am not sure what is up with it all but it is very weird.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Bought the Perry's Escapes Queen of Hearts flavor last night and I was not disappointed. It's a dark chocolate ice cream with raspberry swirls and fudge hearts. It was like my beloved (but discontinued) chocolate raspberry truffle from Baskin Robbins was reincarnated. If you're in NY/PA, I highly recommend.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Bought the Perry's Escapes Queen of Hearts flavor last night and I was not disappointed. It's a dark chocolate ice cream with raspberry swirls and fudge hearts. It was like my beloved (but discontinued) chocolate raspberry truffle from Baskin Robbins was reincarnated. If you're in NY/PA, I highly recommend.

MMM that sounds yummy
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I had to go back to the store today because I forgot stuff on Sunday (blah!!!!). Went to the Shoprite up by my gym instead of my usual one and they had some interesting stuff in their freezer section. Of course, I couldn't resist. (Don't mind my messy counter... it's you know... crowded and stuff).
    20150513_131345.jpg

Taste tested them all and my initial reactions to all of them were that they're pretty good. I'll be having the Guava Have It tonight.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    17384549899_315b90d0c9_z.jpg

A new Ben and Jerry's flavor. I'll pick it up if I see just for the SOS wrapper.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    17384549899_315b90d0c9_z.jpg

A new Ben and Jerry's flavor. I'll pick it up if I see just for the SOS wrapper.

Looks interesting-- I'm not generally a big fruit ice cream lover. But I have been really enjoying the Gelato Fiasco Maine Blueberry so maybe I'm on a fruit kick.