Let's discuss it all. Welcome home.

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    20150501_203951_zpsxjxwzzim.jpg

This was a little spicier than I was expecting; I figured it would be tame to get the gringos in on it. Not super spicy, but good. It has some kind of mixin that I can't even place. First guess was praline or something as it seems a little granulated. Not sure though. Really good, but decent calorie blow at 280 calories for 106g.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

This was a little spicier than I was expecting; I figured it would be tame to get the gringos in on it. Not super spicy, but good. It has some kind of mixin that I can't even place. First guess was praline or something as it seems a little granulated. Not sure though. Really good, but decent calorie blow at 280 calories for 106g.

I've tried to figure out what those mix ins are as well. It is spicier than I thought it would be. I think it needs salt and/or caramel.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I remember seeing and really wanting to try that flavor in the cleanse thread.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My hunt for the Talenti Tiramisu flavor is still fruitless. :disappointed: So today I picked up Double Dark Chocolate and the Breyers Tiramisu. I have two pints of ice cream on the way out, so I didn't feel bad about replenishing my stock. :wink:

So far I've checked two different Krogers (one of which had the tiramisu flavor two weeks ago and now doesn't :angry: ), a meijer and a walmart. The last place I can check is Target, so we'll see when I can make time to get to one.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    You guys will appreciate this. So the freezer at the little market by our house broke last night and they were giving away all the ice cream! This is what we got, not bad considering they had been giving stuff out for a couple hours already :) I didn't know that Haagen Dazs had peanut butter bars, not bad. Had one for breakfast this morning ;)

tifccf4hsj86.jpg
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    ^^ Poor grocer, but what a great surprise for you! I am still waiting for this sort of thing to happen to me . . .
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    @auddii and @Kruggeri -- I love spicy spicy and I have passed on Steve's a few times thinking it wouldn't be spicy (what I hoped it would be). Guess I am going to have to grab one next chance I get.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Got to ask, how are those fudge pops? I've bought some other brand and it was so bland it wasn't even worth the 30ish calories, so I'm a bit wary of trying new ones.
  • krissyreminisce
    Options
    Tried the Talenti Dark Chocolate tonight and while I liked it a lot, I which the mix ins were chunkier. I think I'm going to go for the Fudge Brownie next.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Tried the Talenti Dark Chocolate tonight and while I liked it a lot, I which the mix ins were chunkier. I think I'm going to go for the Fudge Brownie next.

If you want chunkier mix-ins the fudge brownie will be a better choice. Hope you like it!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    @auddii and @Kruggeri -- I love spicy spicy and I have passed on Steve's a few times thinking it wouldn't be spicy (what I hoped it would be). Guess I am going to have to grab one next chance I get.

It's definitely worth trying. I thought the crunchy things were chocolate. I never figured it out, either.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Stopped by Acme and they had Yuengling ice cream and Edy's frozen custard on sale, so I picked up the Yuengling Black & Tan and the vanilla custard and had a spoonful of each... The custard isn't bad, but the flavor is pretty mild, and it does seem pretty hard for custard, but I'll have to give it another try with a bigger serving (and possibly whipped cream and chocolate sauce, which is why I got it in the first place). The Yuengling ice cream is really good though! I managed to get a spoonful of a good combination of both flavors and they're both flavorful and creamy... I suspect that one isn't going to last long.

I passed up on the Edy's custard, so I haven't tried those yet. I'm glad you liked the Yuengling! That's the only flavor I've had so far.

I went to Giant to use my $1 coupon for Turkey Hill and realized it was only for the gelato, so I picked up their Sea Salt Caramel. It was good, and it had the little chocolate covered caramels in it, but it wasn't creamy, it was a little icy. The caramel wasn't overpowering like Haagen Dazs's version, which I appreciated. But it's 220 calories in only 87g. I'll stick with Talenti. I also picked up TH's Mint Cookies 'n Cream frozen yogurt and Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup ice cream, because I'm in love with that one. I liked the Mint Cookies 'n Cream. Lots of cookie pieces, but the mint flavor wasn't as strong as I was expecting.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

OH THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES!! The bits are actually bits of chocolate - but not boring run of the mill chocolate. They are like a Mexican chocolate - oh, I can't remember what brand it makes me think of (not that it is that brand, but it is how I picture that brand being if that makes any sense) - they come in like a hockey puck shape. Website calls them "Guajillo Mexican Chocolate Pieces". The past 3 weeks the only containers of it at the store have all looked like they melted, leaked out and were refrozen - nasty.

I got the sour cream and cinnamon ice cream but haven't tried it yet - my head is killing me today so not going to go for it tonight (feel I should try it with a clear head - this time of year is murder on my sinuses). I also got some McConnell's Chocolate Almond Brittle and I still have the Graeter's Banana's Foster Gelato to try too. Last week I went through a pint of Talenti Tiramisu - it was good but honestly part of the reason I got the McConnell's this week is I wanted something chocolate last week (but since I didn't have it the Tiramisu was at least the same color I guess) and I usually finish a pint before moving on to another one, so I haven't gotten to try any of the others. The problem I had last week was I went shopping on an empty stomach, and Mariano's has an awesome pastry section, so I got a big cupcake, and a whoopee pie, and a big cream puff, and this chocolate marshmallow brownie thing, and chocolate covered strawberries, and they still had the peanut butter cup oreos.....so needless to say the ice cream and gelato had to wait because the pastries would have gone bad.

Shopping on an empty stomach was a bad idea (but a tasty one - I know calorie-wise I was probably bad but I have no regrets).
  • krissyreminisce
    Options
    Tried the Breyers Tiramisu gelato tonight. While the flavor was good, I find Talenti infinitely more satisfying. I only bought it because I was craving the Tiramisu flavor. I guess it'll do until I can find it in Talenti.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I had the Talenti Simply Strawberry over the last couple of days. It's pretty good, but not amazing. It has good flavor and it's nice and creamy, but really nothing much over regular strawberry ice cream, at least in my opinion.

I wish we had more to choose from here in Utah, but I guess I'm just glad we have gelato at all. Haha.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Went to Wegmans. They're totally redoing the ice cream department apparently, and I noticed that the way they set up their Talenti pints... there's more flavors coming. About time. People were stocking up on the store brand ice cream, so I guess it was cheap, but I'm not a fan. They had Edy's at $2.5 so I picked up the slow churned cinnamon bun fun (it's pretty good, but again, I like Edy's base, and the cinnamon swirl is good), and I picked up some Stonyfield vanilla frozen Greek yogurt because I wanted more lower calorie options. It's not bad. Arguably more flavorful than the Edy's frozen custard frankly... for less than half the calories. So it will do nicely when I just want some vanilla.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Tried the Breyers Tiramisu gelato tonight. While the flavor was good, I find Talenti infinitely more satisfying. I only bought it because I was craving the Tiramisu flavor. I guess it'll do until I can find it in Talenti.

That's what I thought, too. The Talenti had a stronger flavor.
  • Francl27
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Shop Rite has Haagen Dazs at $2.88 and I had a $1.5 coupon so I HAD to buy something. Tried the stracciatella gelato. Pretty good! Nice creamy base and the chocolate bits are delicious. Only had one tablespoon though...

(I know, I went to two stores today and bought ice cream at both. I'm hopeless and the freezer is full again).