MFP LaVuelta Signup/Discussion Thread

Options
TheBigYin
TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
...thread continued from the Original here - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1334496-2014-mfp-letour-signup-discussion-thread

MFPGrandTourChallengeLogo2014.jpg

Yes folks once again, its time to start signing up and pinning on the Dossards for the third and final of this years Grand Tour Challenges - La Vuelta Espana.

Anyway - time for a few details for the newcomers to these challenges...

Background

For the duration of the Three Grand Tours - the Giro, LeTour and LaVuelta, I'll be running a team based challenge which is themed upon the race.

The Teams, as per the pro-peleton, are squads of 9 people - we have places for up to 4 teams, so 36 places overall.

Each team of 9 riders will try and ride between them a distance each day equal to or greater than the distance of that day’s stage in the Grand Tours

The person in the team who rides the largest total km’s gets the Leaders Jersey,

The person achieving the fastest average speed overall gets the Sprinters jersey

and the person who posts the highest total ascent figure in metres gets King of the Mountains jersey.

Distances and dates for the third instalment, La Vuelta Espana

14663687020_17d09bbde3.jpg

So, the overall distance is 3231.9km between the 9 riders, or just over 359km each, or 17.1km a day. (10.62 miles for the metrically challenged - you REALLY should be getting the hang of converting these after 3 years...). Obviously, some riders will ride more than this, some will ride less, none of you are expected to ride every stage of the race duration (though a couple of nutters usually manage to do so), and there are 2 planned rest days in there anyway, so it's actually eminently do-able overall , whilst still being fairly tough to achieve the distance every day.

To verify the distances/speeds/ascents rides will need to be logged via some form of GPS and posted to Strava. As I’d be looking at average speeds and climbs, I think that it’s only appropriate to restrict this challenge to outdoor mileage only.

So – anyone up for a challenge ??

Hopefully I've given enough time for people to see this, and sign up - who knows - we might even have enough people to fill all four teams :smile:

Replies

• TheBigYin
    Options
    Once again I'm "tweaking" the signup... After last challenges experiment with opening up all 4 teams straight away, with certain people pre-allocated was pretty successful, I'm doing the same again - this time however, there's only 3 pre-allocated numbers.

So - if you want to join a particular team, post your preference and I'll allocate on a first come, first served basis - riders who didn't participate in LeTour challenge will also need to provide their Strava name and Athlete URL - if you were in the Tour, I've already got the details. Not worried this time about re-doing the race numbers, as it was almost as much work checking the prior numbers as it is just doing a new one...

So... Here's the list we've got so far...
    301 - harksy
    302 - IronPhyllida
    303 - Cloggsy71
    304 - composite
    305 - spatialized
    306 - sufferlandrian
    307 - TDSeest
    308 - Frannybobs
    309 - TheBigYin

311 - FatDadSlim
    312 - BigG59
    313 - Kupe
    314 - MrsCentralCaliCycling
    315 - hawkeyegal1995
    316 - narak_lol
    317 - rides4sanity
    318 - mdstamand
    319 - Jakess1971

321 - cyclistphil
    322 - JediCounsil
    323 - KitTheRoadie
    324 - CentralCaliCycling
    325 - CDGolden
    326 - phytogurl
    327 - traceytwink
    328 - vb4evr
    329 - Check_Mate

331 - veloman21
    332 - Bram61
    333 - cowbellsandcoffee
    334 - DeliriumCanBeFun
    335 - Coltsman4ever
    336 - verdemujer
    337 - eaglelakebill
    338 - banshee1013
    339 - butters1

All Riders have now confirmed their numbers

I reserve the right to move people around from team to team before the rollout in Leeds, if I think that things are getting a little unbalanced - it's really not good if one team ends up with all the heavy-hitters.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    First in.

313 once again please. Been more than happy with the number.

Thank you. :smile:

TBY Edit - Confirmed
  • composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'll go in for 304 please, as the super domestique in the mountains. :p

TBY Edit - Confirmed
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm in too! And I wouldn't mind 334 again, but whatever.

TBY Edit - Confirmed
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Any number, I'm in it but not to win it this time, have a fat loosing strategy in place that I intend on sticking to for a while but should do more then enough kms to help any team, will be playing a sensible team role rather then endurance nut job :).

TBY Edit - Sounds like a good plan - I'll drop you in on 319 for this tour... Road Captain rather than GC man :wink:
  • mdstamand
    mdstamand Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm in again as well. Any team, any slot is fine.

TBY Edit - Confirmed at 318 as last time
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    Options
    I'm in it if you guys don't mind me missing the last four days. 306 would be nice to have again but any of the teams would be fine.

TBY Edit - Confirmed as 306 - welcome aboard
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Mark - I love the profile picture. :laugh: :laugh:
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Any number, I'm in it but not to win it this time, have a fat loosing strategy in place that I intend on sticking to for a while but should do more then enough kms to help any team, will be playing a sensible team role rather then endurance nut job :).

TBY Edit - Sounds like a good plan - I'll drop you in on 319 for this tour... Road Captain rather than GC man :wink:

sounds like a good fit, looking forward to see how this one shakes down :)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    To be honest Jason, you're a natural for the xx9 bib - even with all last challenges riding, you were still there reminding/pestering/encouraging the rest of the team along - which is what the "road captain" job is all about (and why I generally take the 309 myself - even if occasionally, by some misadventure or bad planning, I also end up doing the higher distance...)
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Totally in. Enjoyed being in Team 4 and happy with 333 but any number is fine .

TBY Edit - you're not getting away with it this time... 331 for you my friend!
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I'll take 323 this time please?! It's been nice going on different teams this year, I've made lots of new friends, and look forward to making more this time! :smile: :drinker:
    301 -
    302 -
    303 - Cloggsy71 *
    304 - composite
    305 -
    306 - sufferlandrian
    307 -
    308 - Frannybobs *
    309 - TheBigYin *

311 -
    312 -
    313 - Kupe
    314 -
    315 -
    316 -
    317 -
    318 - mdstamand
    319 - Jakess1971

321 -
    322 -
    323 - KitTheRoadie
    324 -
    325 -
    326 -
    327 -
    328 -
    329 -

331 - veloman21
    332 -
    333 -
    334 - DeliriumCanBeFun
    335 -
    336 -
    337 -
    338 -
    339 -

TBC-To Be Confirmed. * denotes pre-allocated places.

TBY Edit - Confirmed
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Yep, you can remove the asterisk *to be confirmed* - I confirm :happy:

Can't wait!!!

TBY Edit - Confirmed
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    In. Number does not matter.

TBY Edit - in on rider 333
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    To be honest Jason, you're a natural for the xx9 bib - even with all last challenges riding, you were still there reminding/pestering/encouraging the rest of the team along - which is what the "road captain" job is all about (and why I generally take the 309 myself - even if occasionally, by some misadventure or bad planning, I also end up doing the higher distance...)

It's that competitive nature, I know this only too well :), must .... stick .... to .... plan!

Btw I want your logo on a cycling Jersey, could prove useful lol, also quite like this one ....

15oe6g0.jpg
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Count me in....for my usual spot - 315.

No vacations planned for this ride so hopefully I can contribute a bit more.

TBY Edit - Confirmed
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I'm in 317?

My not so secret, secret goal, is to ride/climb more than Jen... I've never actually done this, but it gives me something to shoot for everytime...

TBY Edit - Confirmed
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    301 -
    302 -
    303 - Cloggsy71 *
    304 - composite
    305 -
    306 - sufferlandrian
    307 - TDSeest
    308 - Frannybobs *
    309 - TheBigYin *

311 -
    312 -
    313 - Kupe
    314 -
    315 -
    316 -
    317 -
    318 - mdstamand
    319 - Jakess1971

321 -
    322 -
    323 - KitTheRoadie
    324 -
    325 -
    326 -
    327 -
    328 -
    329 -

331 -
    332 -
    333 -
    334 - DeliriumCanBeFun
    335 -
    336 -
    337 -
    338 -
    339 -

TBC-To Be Confirmed. * denotes pre-allocated places.

TBY Edit - Confirmed
  • sufferlandrian
    Options

Btw I want your logo on a cycling Jersey, could prove useful lol, also quite like this one ....

15oe6g0.jpg

I want one of these! :happy: :happy: Do they come in road safety yellow as well?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    okay - all confirmations so far now copied back into the second post, and onto the spreadsheet.