MFP LaVuelta Signup/Discussion Thread

Options

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    ...Although I think they should have to complete every day in at least one grand tour. :wink: :wink:

There MAY be a reason why I made the qualification being 63 days for all 3 Grand Tours... Yours is safe however.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    ...Although I think they should have to complete every day in at least one grand tour. :wink: :wink:

There MAY be a reason why I made the qualification being 63 days for all 3 Grand Tours... Yours is safe however.

Yeah! :happy: :wink:
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Dossard TBY! Can't wait for the kick off (oops is that word limit to football :laugh: )
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Thanks for the Dossard TBY! Can't wait for the kick off (oops is that word limit to football :laugh: )

Roll-Out would be better I guess, but I knew what you meant :smile:
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Dossard Mark. :wink: :wink: Love the Sufferlandria flag. :smile:

Ooooo I want a Sufferlandria flag too! What challenge do you suggest to earn that flag? :D

Well, he sort of gets it due to his name...

We could start qualification based on riding all 3 grand tours (every stage) and a minimum of 5 of the spring classics though...

That sounds cool. :smile: I got mine by owning all the sufferfest videos and riding them all and getting the black sufferfest kit. It's the one for being the first in your city to order a kit. Now the flag of sufferlandria hangs proudly from my wall in my office. I like the idea of riding all three grand tours and all five classics better. It doesn't require people to buy anything. Although I think they should have to complete every day in at least one grand tour. :wink: :wink:

lol, that is awesome. I tried to order that kit, but someone in my city had already ordered... sucks, never seen anyone with it yet.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Well folks, I hope you're all ready -

the Challenge has been open for the last 5 hours for the Antipodeans,
    both the submission threads (distance and photo/ride-report) are open for submissions,
    The spreadsheet's (hopefully) working correctly (I never know for sure until the REAL data starts to roll in)

Both my bikes are clean, oiled, adjusted and ready to roll,
    the washing machine has just finished a load of cycling kit, so all kit is at my disposal,
    I've checked that the Garmin's been set up on Km's and Metres (Strange, but if I use it to log walks, I walk in miles, but ride the bike in Km's... guess its just less depressing to roll along at 30kph than at 18.6mph...)
    Supplies of riding food/drink have been obtained
    All Items Present and Correct,
    All Pigs Fed, Watered and Ready to Fly...

For the benefit of the new members of this little challenge... If you're not sure how the logging thread works, do your ride, send the data to Strava, and sit back and watch the regulars and how they log things... Oh, and I say this every time, but PLEASE set your Strava to Metric for the Duration of the Challenge, if you work in miles and feet, your conversion WILL at some point be different to the figures in Strava... I've done this logging thing so many times now I can tell at a glance who's converted the figures, and then I have to go and check every last figure (especially irritating when some people are doing 3-4 rides in a day)
    and often then have to alter the figures not only in the spreadsheet, but in your post in the logging thread. It makes a lot of work - and - as this time, much of the data entry is likely to be done by Fran, I'd really rather you spared her from all that checking.

And, it only really remains to wish everybody this....

Have A Great Time, Enjoy The Challenge, Have Fun, Stay Safe and Keep Smiling.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I've been kinds burnt out on cycling lately, feeling as though I never quite measure up... BUT after glancing over my team I AM TRULY EXCITED TO RIDE! Thanks TBY! WIth Team Captain FDS, and Ride Captain Jakes and a core group of folks I've come to respect, how can I not be?

I won't ride as far or as fast as FDS & Jakes, and I won't climb as high as Narak, but I'll try to keep with the lead pack and contribute to the team... Maybe I'll catch Hawkeye this go around, I'm always right on her tailfeathers, but she always pulls away in the end...

Yeehaw! Let's have some fun y'all!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Boy did I pick the wrong day for food poisoning. Trying to get myself back together for the start of the Vuelta in the morning.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Boy did I pick the wrong day for food poisoning. Trying to get myself back together for the start of the Vuelta in the morning.

Not good :sick: try not to do a Greg Lemond mate... Unless you happen to have a box of Badger Photo's handy of course :wink:
  • narak_lol
    Options
    Need some help here - where can I find the moving time and ascent on strava? It used to be just there but now I seem not able to find them...

Edited to add my link http://www.strava.com/activities/184024626/overview
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Need some help here - where can I find the moving time and ascent on strava? It used to be just there but now I seem not able to find them...

Edited to add my link http://www.strava.com/activities/184024626/overview

it's logged as a workout, you need to change the exercise type to "Ride"... there's a "pencil" button to edit - click that, and change the exercise type to "Ride" from the pulldown list of exercise types
  • narak_lol
    Options
    Great! Thanks TBY. I got the ascent back yay! Hmm it's not picking up the correct moving time from Garmin but doesn't matter as I'm no contender for the fastest AV :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Great! Thanks TBY. I got the ascent back yay! Hmm it's not picking up the correct moving time from Garmin but doesn't matter as I'm no contender for the fastest AV :laugh:

On looking at the strava, I'm happy to call the time 2:43:38... instead of the claimed 4:17:22

Next time, stop the garmin if you're going to sit around for a hour or more at the end of the session :wink:
  • narak_lol
    Options
    Thanks for giving me the "good" time TBY :smile:

I need to be more discipline in stopping the device each time!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Thanks for giving me the "good" time TBY :smile:

I need to be more discipline in stopping the device each time!

That's nothing - I forgot to stop the Garmin once, and drove home 80-odd miles with the unit recording distance and heart-rate (as I'd forgotten to take the HR belt off) - made interesting analysis, especially the HR spike when a lorry cut me up on the motorway!

In short, we all forget occasionally Karan, don't worry about it - it was pretty obvious from the data plot what had happened.
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

Great to see you back in the challenge :)

Good luck to all riding, let's make it a good one.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    No ride for me today as we are driving home from my tour. Oddly enough; we encountered no flat tires on the bikes on the tour. However, the van got a flat tire on the way home. I will post my official mileage tomorrow.
  • eaglelakebill
    eaglelakebill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Nice job on the google spreadsheet TBY. I use them quite often myself and checking all the fomulas ans cell references can be a pain in The Big Yin! :wink:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Nice job on the google spreadsheet TBY. I use them quite often myself and checking all the fomulas ans cell references can be a pain in The Big Yin! :wink:

it's on soomething like it's 7th version now, originated in Excel on my home machine, then migrated to an online version... I basically use the last tour's sheet as a template for the next one, so every little "extra" like the graphs etc. get rolled into the next version... It's getting quite clever now :laugh:
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Wow!! what a start to the challenge!!! Well done everyone!!

Go Team 4 :smile: