Starting OMAD? Introduce Yourself Here!

Options

Replies

• SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hello myfithealth2

Welcome. Once you begin OMAD you will notice several things happening. You will have more energy, you will be able to concentrate better, and you will lose weight. Be sure to begin watching Joe's videos and you will learn so much. We are here to help you whenever you need it and to cheer you on.

Like Bob said begin your own thread.
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    pacific904 wrote: »
    I pointed out to a trainer in the gym that I was not losing much weight, he said to me "the kitchen is for weight loss and the gym for fitness".

This is brilliance. I've discovered from experience that I can eat through any level of exercise I care to undertake. I spent a year in cardio kickboxing, came away with wonderful aerobic capacity and a fit heart, but didn't lose a pound. Almost did my knees in though!
  • mikerr1944
    mikerr1944 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ...your name Mike
    ...your weight 13st
    ...your height 5' 6'' ish
    ...any past struggles you've faced or are facing

Hi Everyone,
    I'm a senior and a retiree who is a binge eater. Once I start eating it is as though I have no switch off button. I can eat myself to a stand still. Really bad times are when I'm feeling down This time of the year, winter is particularly bad.
    Back in autumn I set myself a goal that I wanted to come out of winter, fitter and healthier than I went in. I even lost weight over the Christmas Season. But, in early January I hit a mental low and went on some big binges. I started to go downhill fast. So, joining this Forum and beginning OMAD is my attempt to get back on track.

I first tried OMAD back in 2013 after reading Joe's OMAD Blog and watching the videos. OMAD worked for me like no other diet I've done before. Lost 21lbs in about 6 weeks. Found going all day without eating fairly easy for me and one very wholesome meal satisfying enough.

However, as the object is just one main meal a day I began to really miss the foods I enjoyed that I only associated with breakfast and lunch. It never occurred to me that I could have porridge topped with honey and cinnamon, or toast and marmalade as a sweet after my main meal. Or make typical lunchtime fare of crusty cheese and tomato rolls with mayonnaise as part of a main meal salad. All providing I adjust the quantities accordingly.
    I also didn't know this forum existed. It would have been great to have read and share experiences, not that I'm much of a writer.

So that's my story folks. Thanks for reading.

...your goal weight 11st or less
    ...the time of your OMAD 5pm
    ...and your OMAD start date 28 Jan 2017.

Mike

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    mikerr1944 wrote: »
    ...your name Mike
    ...your weight 13st
    ...your height 5' 6'' ish

Hi Everyone,
    I'm a senior and a retiree who is a binge eater. Once I start eating it is as though I have no switch off button. I can eat myself to a stand still. Really bad times are when I'm feeling down This time of the year, winter is particularly bad.
    Back in autumn I set myself a goal that I wanted to come out of winter, fitter and healthier than I went in. I even lost weight over the Christmas Season. But, in early January I hit a mental low and went on some big binges. I started to go downhill fast. So, joining this Forum and beginning OMAD is my attempt to get back on track.

I first tried OMAD back in 2013 after reading Joe's OMAD Blog and watching the videos. OMAD worked for me like no other diet I've done before. Lost 21lbs in about 6 weeks. Found going all day without eating fairly easy for me and one very wholesome meal satisfying enough.

However, as the object is just one main meal a day I began to really miss the foods I enjoyed that I only associated with breakfast and lunch. It never occurred to me that I could have porridge topped with honey and cinnamon, or toast and marmalade as a sweet after my main meal. Or make typical lunchtime fare of crusty cheese and tomato rolls with mayonnaise as part of a main meal salad. All providing I adjust the quantities accordingly.
    I also didn't know this forum existed. It would have been great to have read and share experiences, not that I'm much of a writer.

So that's my story folks. Thanks for reading.

...your goal weight 11st or less
    ...the time of your OMAD 5pm
    ...and your OMAD start date 28 Jan 2017.

Mike

Welcome, Mike.

Be sure to start your own progress thread and update us!

-Joe
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Howdy Mike!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike! I used to have cravings also. Intermittent fasting, taking stress-B complex vitamins, cutting back in sugar, flour, and refined foods really helped me. In addition. I increased my "good" fat intake (coconut oil, olive oil, fatty fish like salmon, avocado, etc) which keeps the insulin spikes from happening, eat moderate protein and lower carb.

The intermittent fasting took a while for me to adapt to. So don't give up. The transition time isn't difficult for everyone, but it was for me.

The reward is that I am no longer a slave to the carb cravings, sugar rise, sugar crash, and cravings cycle any longer. I'm not hungry very often in between because my body is accustomed to using its own fat stores instead of wanting simple carbs.
  • mikerr1944
    Options
    Hi,
    arguablysamson, blambo61, and DebSozo, thank you for your warm welcome.

After the first few days on OMAD I'm pleased with way things are going.
    Have been trying to keep my diet as normal for me as possible without studying food too much.

DebSozo, I have lots to learn and already started to look into your recommendations to see how they might help me. I am curious about coconut oil as you are not the first person to mention it.
    Fatty fish is a big part of my diet now, sardines, mackerel and salmon I'm a big fan of.
    It's the sugars/refined foods in the form of biscuits, cakes and sweets that have been my downfall.

Mike
  • blambo61
    Options
    Hi,
    arguablysamson, blambo61, and DebSozo, thank you for your warm welcome.

After the first few days on OMAD I'm pleased with way things are going.
    Have been trying to keep my diet as normal for me as possible without studying food too much.

DebSozo, I have lots to learn and already started to look into your recommendations to see how they might help me. I am curious about coconut oil as you are not the first person to mention it.
    Fatty fish is a big part of my diet now, sardines, mackerel and salmon I'm a big fan of.
    It's the sugars/refined foods in the form of biscuits, cakes and sweets that have been my downfall.

Mike

Eat the necessary stuff 1st like protein, veg, fruit, and the refined stuff last (if at all) so you don't eat too much of it. I think that helps. Here is my routine: 1st a fruit-yogurt smoothy with whey protein. Then I eat a salad with olive oil or avacado oil and maybe some more protein, then what ever is for dinner, and then maybe a little treat. I've experimented on various facets of that but that is the standard way I've eaten and it has worked pretty well for me. Figure out what works for you!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Hi Mike! I've seen some articles saying that 50% or so of the population is insulin resistant, pre-diabetic or diabetic. I don't actually know if this is accurate. But in my experience, once I started researching, I discovered that the symptoms of insulin resistance fit me.

But if you don't have any medical issues you can eat whatever you want. So experiment and research to see what macro percentages work best for you.
  • mikerr1944
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi, to both blambo61 and DebSozo ,

I think you are quite correct in that for me protein quantity is necessary to get right and a priority. I had been slowly coming round to the same conclusion. Apparently it's protein that can help stop the triggers that lead to binge or excessive eating.
    It's funny I'd recently stopped my after workout, whey protein, yogurt and fruit smoothies. I'd cut back on exercise/keep fit since starting OMAD as is recommended. But tonight I made a nice smoothie to have with my dinner. In future I will keep them as a regular part of my diet.

Re diabetes. I too have often thought I have some of the symptoms. But at my last eye checkup which is quite thorough there was nothing showing up in my eyes. Then today I went for the second part of my annual medical checkup. The good news is there are positively no signs of diabetes in bloods or urine. In fact both my cholesterol and BP were for me very good as well.

Thank you once again.

Mike

• leveejohn
    Options
    Hi @mikerr1944! You and my sister are about the same age (making an assumption from your username), and she's told me a few years back about success she's had with IF. Now I'm sharing my OMAD result with her and she's getting enthusiastic about it again.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    That's great news, Mike. I'm glad you don't have any signs of diabetes.
  • mikerr1944
    Options
    Hi leveejohn,

Yes you assumed correctly. In fact my this years BD was a couple of days ago.
    Like your sister I first did OMAD a few years back.
    But as you probably read in my first post here I started to miss certain foods.
    However, I'm back on OMAD and so far so good.
    I recommend your sister look in on this OMAD forum, there is such a wealth of information and support here.

I have read through your ''John's OMAD journey'' thread and you are making really great progress. Congratulations.
    Tomorrow I intend to start my own progress thread after a weigh in.

Mike
  • leveejohn
    Options
    Tomorrow I intend to start my own progress thread after a weigh in.
    Thank you very much! I'm looking forward to reading your thread.
  • abnersutton
    abnersutton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas,

My name is Abner kinda new here.

...your weight = 251 now
    ...your height = 5' 10"
    ...your goal weight range = 200 - 210
    ...the time of your OMAD = 8pm- 9pm
    ...I started OMAD nine days ago on December 19, 2016.

I found your OMAD video on youtube and thought what the hell let me try it. I eat between 1100 and 1500 calories every 23 hours and nothing else. I literally drink 10 plastic bottles of water and drink 4 to 6 cups of black coffee a day. I started at 266 lbs 9 days ago and am now 251 no snags yet. It is actually WORKING:) Only hard part is dodging office holiday cookies, eggnog, cakes, etc. But it seems I have more willpower than I thought. I finally found a diet I can stick to with no cheating.

I told my wife I kind of feel lucky no dizzyness, head fog or anything yet. I do get some cravings that I have to push through. I really hope I stick it out. If I do I will post again in another week or so. I hope.

UPDATE:

Okay now I do occasionally feel brain fog and light headaches. It is nothing I can't handle. I am still eating between 8pm and 9pm everyday; however, only between 1000 to 1300 calories daily. I am not really feeling hunger cravings. I can trust myself at resteraunts now. I often go with my wife and drink black coffee while she eats if it isn't my time to uptake.

I am primarily eating stews I make in the slow cooker over brown rice or a couple of tv dinners like the bag bertolli skillet meals that add up to 1000 calories. I drink ACV everyother day in my apple juice. It feels like this diet/way of eating is now on cruise control. I started 12/19/2017 at 266 am now at 240 lbs. Considering loosing 26 lbs in roughly 31 days I am happy with the progress so far.

My goal of 200 to 210 is getting closer. I think the hard part is still to come maintenance but I feel confident with the power if intermittent fasting I can make it work.

God Bless!

Abner

UPDATE 3

Still staying on OMAD and it has been 54 days since I started. I am still counting my calories and eating once a day but not restricting what I eat. Just keeping it to one plate of food roughly between 1200 to 1600 calories once a day. Today I am 231 lbs for a total of 35 lbs so far. My weight loss has slowed down dramaticly.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas,

My name is Abner kinda new here.

...your weight = 251 now
    ...your height = 5' 10"
    ...your goal weight range = 200 - 210
    ...the time of your OMAD = 8pm- 9pm
    ...I started OMAD nine days ago on December 19, 2016.

I found your OMAD video on youtube and thought what the hell let me try it. I eat between 1100 and 1500 calories every 23 hours and nothing else. I literally drink 10 plastic bottles of water and drink 4 to 6 cups of black coffee a day. I started at 266 lbs 9 days ago and am now 251 no snags yet. It is actually WORKING:) Only hard part is dodging office holiday cookies, eggnog, cakes, etc. But it seems I have more willpower than I thought. I finally found a diet I can stick to with no cheating.

I told my wife I kind of feel lucky no dizzyness, head fog or anything yet. I do get some cravings that I have to push through. I really hope I stick it out. If I do I will post again in another week or so. I hope.

UPDATE:

Okay now I do occasionally feel brain fog and light headaches. It is nothing I can't handle. I am still eating between 8pm and 9pm everyday; however, only between 1000 to 1300 calories daily. I am not really feeling hunger cravings. I can trust myself at resteraunts now. I often go with my wife and drink black coffee while she eats if it isn't my time to uptake.

I am primarily eating stews I make in the slow cooker over brown rice or a couple of tv dinners like the bag bertolli skillet meals that add up to 1000 calories. I drink ACV everyother day in my apple juice. It feels like this diet/way of eating is now on cruise control. I started 12/19/2017 at 266 am now at 240 lbs. Considering loosing 26 lbs in roughly 31 days I am happy with the progress so far.

My goal of 200 to 210 is getting closer. I think the hard part is still to come maintenance but I feel confident with the power if intermittent fasting I can make it work.

God Bless!

Abner

UPDATE 3

Still staying on OMAD and it has been 54 days since I started. I am still counting my calories and eating once a day but not restricting what I eat. Just keeping it to one plate of food roughly between 1200 to 1600 calories once a day. Today I am 231 lbs for a total of 35 lbs so far. My weight loss has slowed down dramaticly.

That is normal. Good to hear back from you. By all means, start your own thread and keep tracking.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Good report Abner!
  • EVP_NZ
    EVP_NZ Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    ...your name or preferred username
    Erin

...your weight
    87.3 kg

...your height
    173 cm (5'8")

Where do I start?! Salient thing now is I'm going off caffeine.

...your goal weight range
    First goal: 80 kg (doctor recommended that as reasonable. Range: 65-80 kg--will just have to see what it looks like on my body.

...the time of your OMAD
    4:30-7:30 PM, dinner at our house is ~5 as we have a young child

...and your OMAD start date.
    13 Feb 2017 (I'm in New Zealand, so it's the 12th already.)

I've been playing around with Intermittent and alternate day fasting. I got feedback from several that OMAD or 23/1 fasting is good for mental health. I have anxiety and depression so I'm giving it a go. Did a 16/8 fast today and will start OMAD tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Thanks,
    Erin
  • blambo61
    Options
    Howdy Erin!

We all wish you well. Start a thread and keep up posted!
  • leveejohn
    Options
    @abnersutton Awesome progress Abner!!

@EVP_NZ Welcome aboard Erin! I think you'll find OMAD simple and effective, and will like this group. Good luck!!!