Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Options

Replies

• MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't think my pedometer is going to be much help on the step challenge. I can't remember to look at it each hour. I look at my daily totals from starting on Wed. afternoon=6900, Thurs=8632, Fri=17,138 (treadmill, organizing with a client for 5.5 hrs and folkdancing), Sat=9972.

This week I've been creeping up to 134.6 and I can feel the difference from 130 which I haven't seen in a long while. I know I'm still within range but now is the time to seriously look at my snacking habit which I have been giving into... and I'm this close > < to logging again.
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies, I need some encouragement.

That activia yogurt (one container) and prunes (2 or 3) work wonders. Sorry about your worries, you are brave to face it all head on because not knowing can be deadly. But know everything will be good!
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Lill, so glad to make your aquaintance, again. I am at 185 now as well and disgusted that I let it creep up through comfort and anxiety eating.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    5/07/16: 183.8 (yikes)
    5/15/16: 185
    Doing a protein day today and then onto the addicto-carb diet again. I've been really falling off the wagon. Know we will all get back on the straight and narrow soon.
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    May 6 Challenge

May 6 - 182.6
    May 13 - 184.0 (UGH)
    May 20 - 184.6

Smaller gain this week, but I'll take it.. I am getting up and moving around some. See doc today and hope he will tell me how much longer I need to keep my leg in this boot. Keep your fingers crossed that it will not be too much longer...Have a great day everyone and a super weekend. :)
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    May challenge.

I have been so disorganized the past few weeks and not paying attention to my daily habits.

I cannot find where I put starting weight on this challenge. I suspect i did not state it.

So, I join the others in a slight rise from where I thought I was (169):

May 20th: 170.5

and seeing that in print makes me more determined.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Got a message from @Merrygrannie who wants to join us but cannot find us. I sent back a message with the http address in it.

Is there anyway to send an "invite" from the group board? I couldn't find it to do.

Thanks
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    5/07/16: 183.8 (yikes)
    5/15/16: 185
    5/22/16: 183.7
    At least I'm going in the right direction. I sure can relate to that feeling disorganized Marney! I've been feeling totally scattered--doing too much and out of balance. Working on it. I saw Merrygrannie's request, finally today, and she has been re-accepted! Welcome back Merrygrannie!!

Charlie, I've been thinking a lot about never being able to eat "normally" again. After 6 months of rebellion against that (I had lost 50 and should be able to eat like a normal person again, right?) and going from 50 pounds lost to 37 or the like lost, I am coming to terms with the fact that a healthy food plan is a lifetime thing. Glad I have you guys here to support me (and yourselves)! Pam, thanks for being a shining example of a healthy lifestyle beyond "dieting". Eating like a "normal (American) person" is not what our bodies need. Our easy food is so laden with calories and fat and salt and sugar! Now I just have to get my mini-binges in hand.
  • merrygrannie
    merrygrannie Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Glad to have found this group again.I have done so badly but I am trying to do better.I got on the scales Thurs. and weighed 207.0.:( .Fri. I weighed 204.0 so I know that was fluid.So I'm starting out on Fri.as my weigh-in.
    Fri. May 20-204
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Today is mow the yard day.I'm going to be using a push mower so definitely will be getting my exercise.More rain for the rest of the week so grass will grow fast.I hope everyone had a good weekend and have a fantastic day.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Welcome back, Mary! Glad you found us again! Looking forward to hearing your renewed determination added to the group. You and Gayle are going the right direction.

We had a 60th birthday around here (my DH) and I am going the wrong direction!

I am determined to get under control by Friday's weigh in.

Gayle, I came to a realization too. Yes, this is a life time commitment BUT.... we can step out of it for a little while if we choose to. I am not sure that the 80/20 rule applies to us over 60 really, however, if you want to you can have a blow out day or a blow out week or a blow out month/year. The struggle, as we all know, is getting back on track afterwards. And that is hard.

BUT ..... I can step out of line. My husband, with his diabetes, really cannot, every for his birthday. And that is really hard. Our treats were a little mash potatoes, some diabetic chocolate and some homemade ice cream. (Oh, and too much wine!) All high fat, high calories and did my weight no good. The mashed potatoes were the real exception. At home, we can do this because the treats are homemade without sugar.

When we go out to the wider world with parties, fairs, fast food etc Peter HAS to say no to summer ice creams, BBQs (mostly: because of buns and sauces), all food at movie theatres, all fast food, all french fries and even normal things like a bread basket or potatoes. Basic food in public spaces is a problem. Really hoping that this will change in my lifetime and public spaces get better. (they normally offer fruit as the healthy alternative!)

I was thinking about this as I was enjoying a small glass of orange juice at a neighbours when Peter was not with me. (What a treat it was!) I know I do not have to eat his diet but I also know he is stronger when both of us do not take part and it won't do me any harm to say no. I am grateful I don't have his health problems. Proportionally, I was heavier than he was, we were eating the same diet, and we each had a grandmother with diabetes. But he got it, and I didn't. Roll of the genetic dice.

A long winded way of saying I am grateful that I can eat more calories than I should and more sweets than I should and get back on the bandwagon to get the weigh down. The freedom of being 'out of control' is a gift. The way back is a hard road and one that I have often felt 'undoable'. But we know it is doable.

What a strange thing to be grateful for! Freedom to not eat well!
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    I have a long term goal ,to lose 20 lbs by Oct.My 50th wedding anniversary is Oct 8th and I'd like to be healthier and look better.I think that is doable if I behave myself.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Marney, you are right--the big thing is getting back on the path. We don't have to be perfect--and for me the 80/20 is not necessarily about each day--it can be about weeks (good during the week and not perfect on a weekend day, for example). Guess my math doesn't have to be perfect either--but think it means I am doing well 8 days out of 10 in general. I like your idea of having that freedom to not be perfect (be human), as well as the determination to get back to it shortly after lapses. Mary, welcome! 20 pounds in 4 months might not be entirely realistic (June/July/Aug/Sept) but you can certainly move that way during this challenge. I know from setting SMART goals that the "A" stands for Attainable and the "R" stands for Realistic. Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-limited. Time for me to set another SMART goal for health as well.
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    May 6 Challenge

May 6 - 182.6
    May 13 - 184.0 (UGH)
    May 20 - 184.6
    May 27 - 186.0 (Double UGH!)

Morning Ladies, Well, I gained again today. I know I shouldn't blame anything, but I am. This broken leg and dealing with this boot is the pits. Even though I am subtracting 4 lbs. for the boot, still gaining. Trying to eat right (not always doing so), but only able to do upper body exercise. I have a lot of work to do as soon as this thing is off, so looks like I will be starting over.. :( ......Everyone have a great day, its going to be beautiful here today. :)
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    Glad to have found this group again.I have done so badly but I am trying to do better.I got on the scales Thurs. and weighed 207.0.:( .Fri. I weighed 204.0 so I know that was fluid.So I'm starting out on Fri.as my weigh-in.
    Fri. May 20-204

Hi Merrygrannie, Welcome back, glad to see you on here!
  • merrygrannie
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Fri. May 20-204.0
    Fri. May27-199.5
  • merrygrannie
    Options

gmabethof3 wrote: »
    May 6 Challenge

May 6 - 182.6
    May 13 - 184.0 (UGH)
    May 20 - 184.6
    May 27 - 186.0 (Double UGH!)

Morning Ladies, Well, I gained again today. I know I shouldn't blame anything, but I am. This broken leg and dealing with this boot is the pits. Even though I am subtracting 4 lbs. for the boot, still gaining. Trying to eat right (not always doing so), but only able to do upper body exercise. I have a lot of work to do as soon as this thing is off, so looks like I will be starting over.. :( ......Everyone have a great day, its going to be beautiful here today. :)

We all know from experience how hard it is to lose weight.When I broke my ankle they didn't give me a boot but I had to use a walker and hop around on one foot.Only good thing about that was I did lose weight.My husband would bring me my meals,therefore I wasn't eating as much.Of course,once I had the freedom to do what I wanted,I guess that was to do no exercise and eat.I always tell myself,and others,I will never gain the weight back again.Now I know I will never make that statement again.
    I am the queen of start overs but am grateful I'm given days to start over.
    Take care of yourself and remind yourself that you were given a new day to start over .
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    May 27th - 133.4 Frankly I'm a bit surprised- my sister is visiting and we are indulging a bit. But we take turns on the treadmill :)

I am doing my Korean homework - mostly just trying to memorize my lines for our skit in the school assembly. My mind goes blank...!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    May 20th: 170.5
    May 28th: 169.5

Not much change but the right direction!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    My mind goes blank in any skit much less in a foreign language!

Painting kitchen cabinets again. Lovely, hot day. Not a good day for having your head in a base cabinet, painting but done for today.