September check-in and chat.. lift like septimus prime!

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    well . . . not sure how smart this was, but i went and did it.

squats: 3x5@45, 1x5@50, 6x6@75. all going pretty good with the squats, knock on wood.

ohp: WIN. i got my 5x5 at 50lbs. okay, the first try at set #5 hit the wall on the third or fourth rep, but i went back after deadlifts and did that one too.

deadlifts: guess this is the story for today's workout. the way my back is, it's really hard to tighten everything up and pull the shoulderblades back/down with symmetry. doesn't hurt, but i can tell that as soon as i do this the left side is responding far more fiercely than the right and twisting me out of shape. some kind of impingement thing.

i'm on 120lb right now for deadlift, but i spent most of the time with much much lighter weights just trying to clean up my form. did around 8 reps at 50lbs, then went to 70, then 90. eventually i did load up 120, but i think at that weight i was rounding my upper back to avoid the spinal twist thing. i only got 3 and i think my form was mostly okay, but the 4th wasn't even going to shift from the floor and i stopped there.

i think maybe i should take my two days in a row of rest, starting now.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    This might be my favorite thread ever. Like someone else said, so much rad here.

And without further ado, here's my workout from tonight:

StrongLifts 5x5 / Workout A (Day 13)

Still no squats. :(

But! Check out the...

Incline Leg Press: 5x5 @ 365, 1x5 @ 450 (!!!!)
    Um, yeah, that's TEN plates on that last set! Holy cow! And of course now that I've done it, I can't go back down so looks like 450 is the new 370. :)

Bench Press: 5x5 @ 70
    Failed these last time, so was glad to get them all today. Hard though, so I won't be surprised if I fail 75 next time. But as my friend always says, I'll be stronger on Monday than I am today, so who knows? I'm going to try like hell. I'm also investing in a set of 1.25 lb plates so I can go up in 2.5 lb increments if / when necessary.

Barbell Row: 5x5 @ 85
    Trying very hard to stay low and not bounce to get momentum on the pull. Happy to say I got there by the end, and definitely noticed a difference in my lower back.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Day 13
    Squat 95.5lb 5x5
    Bench 50lb 5x5 for the first time - woohoo!
    Rows 57lb 5x5 deloaded to improve form

The rest day and eating more are definitely paying off, but I wish I could go every day.
  • logg1e
    Options
    Canadianlbs - we are at such a similar place right now. I have two enforced rest days now due to work commitments.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Lifted tonight and felt great!

Squat 5x5 @ 132lbs
    OHP 5x5 @ 60lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 154lbs

Feeling really good about my numbers. Felt nice and low in my squats so happy to move up next time. OHP felt good, but it's the move that tweaked my back a while ago so I'm really shy about it and adding weight. DLs are my favourite thing of all time lol
  • logg1e
    Options
    Psych you squatted my body weight today - great numbers :smile:
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You chicks are all freaking awesome! So inspiring and I can't wait to get to where some of you already are...weight-wise and lifting. Dang, you guys can lift some heavy stuff!

Stronglifts, Week 4

Squats - Warm-ups + 5x70# - Since really working to stretch hip flexors, this is going much better.
    Bench - Warm-ups + 5x70#
    Barbell Row - Warm-ups + 5x80#

Question: Does anyone else have back pain after lifting? Feels like maybe I pulled a muscle. It doesn't hurt when lifting, but after sitting for a while and in the morning. Not sure if it's just muscle soreness. Is this normal? Only on one side.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Went in for some Sqwets this AM!

110x5
    127.5x5
    145x10 (after 5 though my form was starting to break down a bit. I has video, I will request feedbacks)
    110x20... YES 20 EFFIN SQUATS IN THE SAME SET! You woulda though I was doing the naughty by the end I was panting and grunting so hard xD

Keep in mind here I'm working with about 75-80% of my training max as opposed to 90% because I scaled back the last cycle. All this running, maan.

Then did 6 min AMRAP of
    - burpees x3
    - pull-ups x5 (with assist, apparently not enough)
    - double KB thrusters @20lbs each x5

managed 5 rounds only D: pull-ups slowed me down big time, probably could've handled heavier KBs

Another 6 min AMRAP, this time
    - KB sumo deadlift high pull x 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15
    - push-ups x 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 (all unbroken but for the last set!)

and 4x 40yd shuttle sprints (10m segments) which sucks because I can't even reach full speed with 10m :|

Whoever said I'm a machine - I'm not, I just don't give up. It's probably THE ONE thing that's gotten me this far and that I'm so glad I learned to embrace. It's changed my life. And I thank Tapout XT for that. To quit does NOT EXIST!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    You chicks are all freaking awesome! So inspiring and I can't wait to get to where some of you already are...weight-wise and lifting. Dang, you guys can lift some heavy stuff!

Stronglifts, Week 4

Squats - Warm-ups + 5x70# - Since really working to stretch hip flexors, this is going much better.
    Bench - Warm-ups + 5x70#

Question: Does anyone else have back pain after lifting? Feels like maybe I pulled a muscle. It doesn't hurt when lifting, but after sitting for a while and in the morning. Not sure if it's just muscle soreness. Is this normal? Only on one side.

When you do get backpain? After certain workouts or after any? Where is it located? If it's one side, you may be lifting unevenly such as leaning when you squat or lifting one arm differently than the other.

I used to get a sore lower back after deadlifts. It felt kind of like period cramps. I watched my form to make sure I wasn't arching and it stopped.
  • psych101
    Options
    Psych you squatted my body weight today - great numbers :smile:

haha oh that is awesome!!! :drinker:
  • psych101
    Options

Stronglifts, Week 4

Bench - Warm-ups + 5x70#

When you do get backpain? After certain workouts or after any? Where is it located? If it's one side, you may be lifting unevenly such as leaning when you squat or lifting one arm differently than the other.

I used to get a sore lower back after deadlifts. It felt kind of like period cramps. I watched my form to make sure I wasn't arching and it stopped.

When I first started I would get this and it was usually from dropping my head during squats - I'd be so concerned about my knees over my toes that I'd look down (not the best thing to do with a barbell on your back lol) and for whatever reason I'd end up with a hurt back on one side. Tape yourself lifting and see how your form is
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies it's my Friday...Yah...long weekend. Full of stuff tho...

Wendler Week 2 DL day for me so warm ups went like this

5x75, 5x95 and 3x115

Working weights 3x132.5 3x152.5 and 6x170 (3+)

Accessory work Leg raises 5 sets 15,12,10,7,8
    Leg curls with 50lbs 5 sets 12,10,10,8,7

As for the back pain yes sometimes after DL's my lower back is tender but it usually only lasts a day...but I know I have lifted.

But if it is one side yah check your form by filming you could be leaning or pushing off more with one foot (typically dominant hand)
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Awesome stuff going on all over the place!

Preggo Lift A
    Squat 95lb 3x10
    Bench 75lb 3x10
    Row 75lb 3x10

Accessories-bw glute bridge 2x20
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Stronglifts, Week 4

Bench - Warm-ups + 5x70#

I don't really notice any back pain after doing any of the lifts. It's the next day when I have it. This week it's been pretty bad, more like a pulled muscle. Really hurts after I've been sitting awhile. I'll work on making sure I'm not lifting unevenly. I've been checking out the form videos and may need to work on that some. That's a great idea to video my lifts too to make sure I'm not dropping my head or rounding my back. Thanks guys!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    @justmytype, I was getting some weird lower back pain like you discribed when I was doing stronglifts. I went to the chiropractor and got my hips re-aligned. Her advise for me was to make sure that I stretch my hip flexors, glutes and IT band really really well and try not to sit for more than an hour at a time. It has been a couple of months and things seem fine. That being said, always make sure your form is good!

Today was squat 5 day
    warm up and then 130 lbs x 5 150 lbs x 5 and 170 lbs x 6 I went for 7 and had to bail :blushing:

Accessories were Straightleg DL's 95lbs, glute bridges 95 lbs, and burpees. 10 reps each in a circuit 5 times.

I was absolutely done when this was over.

I also ran 3.5 km today at lunch, it was slow and leisurely, just enough to get me out of the office and not eating the catering sandwiches in the lunch room.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    First attempt after an attempt before my vacation. Got:
    20kg squat: check
    20kg overhead press: only just about managed 4x5 by basically doing 3 reps and 2 more after a short break.
    20kg chest press: check
    40kg dead lift: check
    30kg row: check

So, what do I do with the overhead presses? I could not do more than 4 sets as things got too wobbly and unsafe. Try again next time or go a bit lower in weight? With all others I'll go up a bit.
  • laraeverhage
    laraeverhage Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Talk to me more about bailing on a squat...

I think I'm close to having to bail, but the logistics of it may be the only thing that has kept me actually doing all 5x5!

Do you bail forward or backward? Do you run away as you drop the weight? Or crumple under it?

My husband sometimes sees me do squats from across the gym and says that I'm low enough that I could dump either way from the bottom and be OK, but I can't see it, so it's more terrifying!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I think I'm close to having to bail, but the logistics of it may be the only thing that has kept me actually doing all 5x5!

Do you bail forward or backward? Do you run away as you drop the weight? Or crumple under it?

My husband sometimes sees me do squats from across the gym and says that I'm low enough that I could dump either way from the bottom and be OK, but I can't see it, so it's more terrifying!

If you squat in the power cage/in a squat rack/with safeties, just sit back until the bar hits the safeties. Then roll out however you can and unload the bar to put it back on the hooks.

Otherwise, bail out by releasing your hands first then bending forward just enough to let the bar roll off BACKWARDS while you jump the hell away from it. Get out of dodge. The bar might bounce and hit you (especially if you use bumper plates). But get the hands off first. Never try to let the bar roll forward. The bar might hit your neck and you definitely DON'T want that. Better a sore wrist than a broken neck!

You want to avoid going that far if at all possible though. It's okay to think you have it and get stuck in the hole. If you think you'll have to bail, I wouldn't risk it. It's not worth pushing that far. If you have more sets to do you'll be even weaker afterwards. I'm not saying never push yourself, but sometimes you're better off playin' it smart.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

If you squat in the power cage/in a squat rack/with safeties, just sit back until the bar hits the safeties. Then roll out however you can and unload the bar to put it back on the hooks.

Otherwise, bail out by releasing your hands first then bending forward just enough to let the bar roll off BACKWARDS while you jump the hell away from it. Get out of dodge. The bar might bounce and hit you (especially if you use bumper plates). But get the hands off first. Never try to let the bar roll forward. The bar might hit your neck and you definitely DON'T want that. Better a sore wrist than a broken neck!

You want to avoid going that far if at all possible though. It's okay to think you have it and get stuck in the hole. If you think you'll have to bail, I wouldn't risk it. It's not worth pushing that far. If you have more sets to do you'll be even weaker afterwards. I'm not saying never push yourself, but sometimes you're better off playin' it smart.
    This! I have safeties on my squat stands, so I just kind of sit down and crawl out. I will only push it if I am on my last working set, otherwise it just isn't worth it and I wouldn't even have tried my last rep if I didn't have the safeties.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Workout A:

Squats 95 lbs 5x5
    Bench 55 lbs 5x5
    Rows 55 lbs 5x5

Deloaded a bit today on all so I could still get a lifting workout in but not overdo it before my race next weekend.